Cover Image: History Smashers: Women's Right to Vote

History Smashers: Women's Right to Vote

Kate Messner has done it again with another great History Smashers book. I love how she takes the myths and some facts we are told when we are kids in school. Everything I read in here I did not learn until college. It is such an eye opener for so many people who believe in the women rights and how women have accomplished so much, but with lots of fault along the way. We see lots of women like Susan B. Anthony in a different light. How she was only fighting for the voting rights for white women. In grade school no one really knows about how racist a lot of the women suffragettes were. I also liked how Kate Messner talks about the black women who started their own women clubs to help the black women get the right to vote. I think this story needs to be on library and school shelves for everyone to read. Even adults should read this and get inspired to read more about the true history of the women's right movement.
Big fan of Kate Messner's writing and women's history, so I was excited to read this History Smashers book. The first third to half of the book covered events I was already familiar with, so not too many surprises there. But things got a lot more interesting in the latter half of the book as Messner described divisions in the movement over race and other issues, setbacks the women faced as their opponents pushed back against the suffrage movement, and interesting little details about the men who voted in support of the 19th amendment. Anyone who thinks suffragists were proper mild-mannered women will have those illusions shattered as they learn about hunger strikes, stints in jail, and more. These women were bad=@$$ but many were also flawed in their attitudes towards race or each other. A fascinating read, especially the "yearbook" of lesser-known suffragists in the back matter. The back matter also connects to the present day as Messner explains continuing issues around voter rights and women's advances in politics.
Thank you NetGalley and Random House Children's/Random House Books for Young Readers for sharing an eARC with me in exchange for an honest review. My sixth graders love history books and I am so glad that more nonfiction books are being written with their audience in mind. Kate Messner tells the history of women's fight for the right to vote in a very understanding manner. She states what has been taught, what has been left out, and what to do to make sure you get the full story in history. I liked the illustrations and I know my students will be drawn to those as well. I look forward to reading the other History Smashers books.
I loved the way this book showed the real history and struggles of woman suffragists throughout the years. For so long, the true story has been watered down. The true story paired with the wonderful illustrations in this book really captured the history for our young people to have a better understanding of what really has been happening with women and people of color.
Kate Messner is just such a talented author. It seems as if everything she writes turns into gold. History Smashers is a new series that I see upper elementary/middle-level students flocking towards.

In this new series, Kate Messner is tackling the history we all thought we knew... and she is smashing it. Through her new nonfiction series, students will be able to relearn history the right way. Kate Messner adds a new definition to topics that everyone has had wrong for generations.

On top of having a smashing history lesson, young readers will love the hybrid of graphics and historical artifacts that are packed in History Smashers. These books have a fun graphic-novel like design with real-life photographs and maps included within the illustrated-makeup of the novels.
Another excellent addition to middle grade nonfiction from Kate Messner! I'm so appreciative of authors who have done the work to fix our messed up knowledge of history (to quote Hamilton, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells You Story?")! I also loved the included illustrations by Dylan Meconis; excellent choice for illustrator!
Quick, when did the US pass the 19th Amendment and what does that Amendment do?

Yes, it has been 100 years since the US gave the right to vote to women, but not all women, of course, no that would be far too easy.

The way I was taught about this in school, back in the 60s and 70s, the right to vote was a gift to the women for their help in World War I, as though that was their reward for all the hard work they did.

Yeah right, as though the government every gave its citizens anything without a fight.

And this book gets into the nitty gritty of it all. We learn what racists these White women were who were first fighting for the end of slavery, and then turning around and saying that Black men should not get the right to vote before they did. Nor should Black women. Nor should recent immigrants who were less desirable, and from Eastern Europe.  It is amazing how so many of these great women had such hatred in them.

This book, written at the middle-grade level is very clear on what was really going on, because history should not be so cleaned up that we miss the evils that our previous generations did. This book also covers the Black women who fought for voting rights, that are often ignored.  Most people know about Susan B. Anthony, but how many know About Ida B. Wells.

And for those who wonder why the women in congress often dress in white when protesting things, it is because white was the color that the women suffragists wore when protesting.

Great book. Should be used in classrooms, if we ever have gatherings of students again. Highly recommended.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
A very well researched book that can help teach readers about the path to women having the right to vote!
I remember learning a lot of these facts in school, but even still, I learned a lot from the book. It's written in a way that is easy to understand, and is formatted in a way that keeps readers' interest. I don't typically enjoy reading about history, but this book held my attention throughout.
This book shows the infighting and flaws of the early leadership of women's suffragists, some of whom were quite racist against black people and Native Americans and prejudiced against immigrants. I didn't find it as compelling as the Mayflower book but think it does give a full picture of the complicated history. Like the Mayflower book, it includes cartoons, photos, quotes, and insets of biographical information about the significant women in the movement.
Well done and well researched, Messner's book tackles the votes for women movement with tact and honesty. She doesn't skimp on details, just presents them as is, and doesn't whitewash anything. It's refreshing, really.
*Thank you NetGalley and publisher for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review*

I was so excited to read this edition of History Smashers after reading the Mayflower one. I love that it is a non-fiction multimodal novel - part graphic novel, part prose. You can really tell that Messner did a lot of research to tell the factual story of the journey of women's right to vote, including the not so great parts of it. So many half-truths were exposed as well as the racism that existed in this journey. I think it is so important for us to see that what we learned in history class wasn't always "the whole truth". That is one of the big things I appreciate about Messner's History Smashers series.

This is such an interesting read, and can easily be done in one sitting. I can see these novels being the same for my students who love history, too. I cannot wait to read the Pearl Harbor edition soon and share these awesome books with my students!
History Smashers: Women’s Right to Vote by Kate Messner
Book Review by Dawn Thomas

229 Pages
Publisher: Random House Children’s
Release Date: July 7, 2020

Children’s Nonfiction, History

What a great book to honor the 100th anniversary for women’s right to vote. Abigail Adams first brought the subject up in 1776 to her husband John Adams. It seemed the only people allowed to vote were white males who owned property. The Constitution states that people have the right to vote but leaves it up to individual states to decide the definition of a “person.” Although one state allowed everyone to vote, they decided in 1807 that did not include women. It would take over a hundred years for them to be able to vote again.

Although this book is geared towards children, it’s easy to read format can be enjoyed by adults. There was information on women that were for women’s rights that were new to me. I appreciate the no-nonsense facts that are presented in the book. It clears up myths and falsehoods. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to learn more about the subject of women’s right to vote.
Another fantastic installment in the History Smashers series! What I thoroughly enjoy is that this series teaches our students/children that everything we read in history books is not always as it seems, or necessarily true. History isn't just easy facts to remember. I mean, think about reality. You don't just accomplish a goal in a single day. There are ups-and-downs, times where we need to revise/rework/redo... sometimes from scratch. This book teaches kids that Susan B. Anthony wasn't the only one to help amend the constitution in favor of women's rights. In fact, there were MANY women, and even men, who helped do so. It took a lot longer than one may think, too.

Other than the fact that this book debunks many of the half-truths we come to know nowadays, it shows the truth about racism, intersectionality, and clearly the differences of views many people had during this era. This is not what you read in textbooks now, so I appreciate that this is depicted in the History Smasher series.

Again, there are wonderful illustrations, comics, side panels, artifacts, and more embedded throughout this book that makes it even more engaging for young readers. I cannot wait to share this with my students and our school.
Adorable and informative, this book gives an easy and concise version of the suffrage movement. My daughter loved it. It was easy to understand and interesting enough to make her want to keep reading about an important part of our history!
This book really dives into Women's Suffrage in a very informative yet fun and interesting way.  This is the third book I've read in Kate Messner's History Smashers series and I once again loved reading it.  Like the other topics, Women's Suffrage wasn't covered a lot in school.  In this book, I also loved how it showed that the women that are taught in textbooks were not perfect, but were also complex people.  I really like how it illuminates how the stories we were taught in school ended up there.  This was especially true with how Susan B. Anthony was portrayed.  This book is especially poignant for the anniversary of the 19th amendment this year.  This was a real delight to read and I cannot wait to recommend this and all the other History Smasher titles to my patrons, both young and old.
Another wonderful addition to this nonfiction series. Really appreciate Messneer’s voice throughout.
I received an electronic ARC from Random House Children's Publishing through NetGalley.
Messner brings readers through the true history of this movement. She shares the information through simple to follow narrative for middle grade readers. The women involved are presented as real - faults and all. Messner does not shy away from the racist attitudes of so many of the leaders. She also presents the other organizations who fought for voting rights for all people. The book finishes with current information as civil rights battles continue. A timeline of the women's rights movement is presented at the end of the book.
This series provides opportunities for discussion in classes or families. The books serve as springboards to explore further.
Thank you Random House Children's and Netgalley for the digital ARC.

This was a lovely history book on the path to women's suffrage in the US. The book details so much and almost feels like a primer for a high school level class. It does a great job going into both the well known and lesser known figures and events of the multigenerational movement(s). A definite read for those who like the "Who Was' series.
History Smashers: Women’s Right to vote is an interesting and thought provoking look at the suffrage movement. The book does an excellent job of not painting this movement as simplistic but of showing different elements, sides and people, many of who are overlooked when this subject is taught in a history book. Love how the writers weaves in real life letters news articles and other media from this time in history that help bring to light how real the right to vote was and why it was worth fighting for.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I requested it to review on NetGalley because I’m always looking for narrative nonfiction in a wide range of ability levels for my students. This is a book written at a lower reading level than most of my students need, but I liked that the ideas and concepts weren’t watered or dumber down. In fact, this book cuts through the half-truths most of us are taught about women’s suffrage and lays out the truth about racism, flawed heroes, and intersectionality. It’s written simply and clearly, but without pulling punches or underestimating a modern kid’s ability to tackle complex topics. The illustrations and comic panels help bring the subject to life. I’m looking forward to bringing this and other titles in this series to my library when they’re available to purchase.