Cover Image: International Day of the Girl, The

International Day of the Girl, The

This is a great starter book to give generalizations about issues that girls around the world face. The girls highlighted are stories that are inspired by real issues, but told in a way that makes sense to the upper elementary aged child. Full of wonderful illustrations, this is a great way for kids to see that the world is a whole lot bigger than their little corner.
I thought that this book was great.

It was well written, well laid out and really showed how much can affect young  girls all over the world.  My daughter is three and I am fully aware of how fortunate she is to have been born here in the UK

The book shows how inspirational some of these girls have been in changing the future for others too – it is 5 stars from me for this book, a great reminder that all genders should be treated equally and given the same starts in life too too
'The International Day of the Girl' is a beautifully illustrated picture book that celebrates young women and the contributions they have made to their communities. The stories show some of the challenges faced in countries all over the world. It contains text that discusses complex issues at times so it would most likely be most appropriate for grades 3 and up.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for review.
I make it a point to read to my sons books that empower and raise up women/girls. I want them to grow up with a positive and respectful attitude towards females, and view them very much as their equals and friends. Books like this really help me to do this, they open up the world for children to see what another child’s experience might be elsewhere and the difficulties they may encounter. The art work here is not complex but is still engaging and vibrant. I particularly liked the further reading section at the end so you can use this book very much as a starting point to then go and explore the issues in greater depth.
A Little General and Pat, But Addresses Real Gender Equality Issues

While this book is ostensibly about celebrating the International Day of the Girl, what it contains is a set of aggregate fictionalized stories about girls in different countries and the gender inequalities typically faced there by girls and young women. I think this book is meant for tweens and young teenagers, as there is a fair amount of text even though there are illustrations. Each two-page spread of a girl’s story has a full-page illustration, her “story,” and a sidebar comment about the particular issue that this girl has faced or is facing. I wish the author used a real girl facing the particular issue. In the back, the author states that the stories come from research and interviews. So, it appears as though these are fictionalized accounts pulling from the stories of multiple girls, funneled into a single story of a made-up, representative girl from a particular country. I felt an emotional distance from these stories because they didn't seem to be about a particular, real girl; everything seemed too general and pat. The book features girls from all around the world, including some cultures that most kids won't be familiar with as well as our own. In the back of the book, the author provides a timeline for how International Day of the Girl came to be as well as a bullet-point list about issues faced by girls around the world, like illiteracy, child marriage, nutrition and access to education. I do have some reservations about this book, but it could be a good way to introduce your daughter—or even son—to the gender inequalities faced by girls around the world.
The International Day of the Girl by Jessica Dee Humphreys and Rona Ambrose introduces the history of establishing the International Day of the Girl Child on October 11. The book includes nine vignettes focusing on lives of girls from Brazil, Afghanistan, Kenya, Russia, Canada, India, Nigeria, Syria, United States as they face challenges of gender discrimination, child marriage, lack of infreasructure for people with disability, no access to education, and lack of representation in STEM careers. Each page introduces the girl and the context of her struggles, as well as gives background information about the issue. Historic background and timeline are included at the end of the book. The art would appeal to the young audience and the book follows a predictable format. The only suggestion I would offer would be to remove the adjectives that the author uses to define each girl. While they bring attention to the particular feature of character each girl is showing, I think just one adjective limits our perception of the complexity and abilities of the girls. The book would be a good addition to the classroom library.
I received an electronic ARC from Kids Can Press through NetGalley.
Humphreys presents information by sharing about individual girls from all over the world. Each spread focuses on a girl and the issues she faces. A text box one each page provides further facts.
The font is a bit small but most readers will be fine with the amount of information presented. A timeline for establishing the International Day of the Girl is shared at the end of the book along with further resources for each issue identified.
Middle grade readers will relate with at least one of the girls' stories.
In honor of the International Day of the Girl (October 11), this book tells the story of nine characters based on girls’ experiences from around the world.

I’m always looking for picture books to share with my students to introduce new information. This book is perfect for introducing the International Day of the Girl and the different experiences of various girls from around the world.

The illustrations are beautifully done and although some of the information can be heavy, each page was carefully written to appeal to a wide age range of readers. I look forward to buying this book and including it in my classroom library.
Every girl and boy needs this book! The International Day of the Girl features stories of girls all over the world who are brave, fierce, confident, bright, inventive, and so much more. The illustrations are beautiful and I love that these stories are about unknown girls who are living their lives on their own terms. It’s inspiring and there are so many takeaways hidden in each page. I definitely recommend!

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC!
I loved this book about the history of the International Day of the Girl and the stories of inspirational girls around the world. I could see myself reading this book to classes that visit the library.
As a bookseller who has just had a little person this book is excellent - we need more books about amazing women and what they've done for the world. I can't wait to share these wonderful stories with my daughter, and my customers! Thank you
Such a powerful storybook!
I would like to say this is not meant just for the kids but for us adults as well.
I feel all these prejudices and discrimination start from us adults, specially the so called guardians and the "near-and-dear" ones of the girl child.
This book effectively points out various issues faced by a girl child in different countries and in different continents! Wow, I am amazed we homo sapiens are this backward at this age and era. Starting from denying to be born to being treated as housemaids to flesh trade to denying basic human rights, girl child everywhere are facing discrimination and harsh treatments all their lives. Starting from being denied of proper basic two meals a day because the "males" have to eat their fill first to restrictions on getting basic education, many girls in India and many countries are still facing the same issues as their grandmothers and mothers have faced throughout the decades.

So, do we blame the men or the authorities?
No, the first step is empowering ourselves.
And this book tells just that!

Oh I love this little book so much!
The illustrations are so awesome!

Thank you NetGalley for the copy.
Nine one-page stories of real-life girls around the world describe the importance of the United Nations’ International Day of the Girl, held each October 11; a brief history of the holiday is also included.  These stories can inspire students to work on equal rights for girls, including advocating for inclusion of more girls in science, math, and computer classes, gender equity in rest rooms with sanitary products, and representation in leadership. Overall, the stories are informative even though this holiday is not particularly well known.  The full color graphics-style artwork suits the story and intended age group, with a racially diverse array of girls featured in the illustrations done using acrylics and Photoshop. The book concludes with more statistics on gender inequity throughout the world. An important and underused topic.
An amazing little book that introduces young readers to challenges facing girls around the world. The illustrations are also amazing .
3.5 stars.

The International Day of The Girl gives kids a chance to see what the eponymous day is all about. Offering up an exploration of what the International Day of the Girl is, a timeline of how it came to be, and examples of how girls are fighting gender-specific oppression around the world, this book is a short but thorough introduction to the day. It's told in a picture book style, but the level is definitely intended for older children to read, although it could definitely be read with younger children as well. I loved that it included many different countries and types of oppression, especially that it featured disabled girls, although I wish it had included the gender-specific violence that LGBTQ+ girls faced too.

Overall this is a solid little read, and it is a great introduction for older kids to the International Day of the Girl. I would recommend it.
The International Day of the Girl is an excellent introduction to the issues girls face all over the world. I appreciate the resources included at the end of the book for further study. The illustrations are especially worth mentioning -- whimsical and light for a topic that could be overwhelming for kids. I know my children will enjoy reading this book and return to it as a resource again and again.
A book with a message worth reading and teaching others. Ideal for reading with children and ready for the classroom shelf. I would gladly add this to my collection.
In 2012, the United Nations dedicated a day to promoting gender equality and championing the rights and achievements of girls everywhere. Each year, the 11th October is a day to give voice to the issues affecting girls in their communities.

Girls are strong, smart, creative and brave. They are inventive, talented, caring and funny. They dream and have ambitions for an exciting, safe future. Unfortunately, all over the world, some girls are not able to show how much they are capable of. There are barriers that prevent them from reaching their potential.

International Day of the Girl is a collection of nine stories highlighting some of the issues girls face.

Flora lives in Brazil. She learns Capoeira, a type of self-defence, so she can protect herself when walking alone at night. Violence towards women and girls in Brazil is a real risk she encounters every day.

In Afghanistan, Hana is grateful that she is able to attend school. For many years, girls in her country were not permitted to attend school and learn to read.   Now she can pursue her dream of becoming a teacher and help other girls reach their goals.

Each story provides a real, personable example of what life is like in one part of the world. There are clear explanations about what girls can do to improve their lives and also what men and boys need to do to change things for the better. The book ends with a brief history of the UN and further information about the issues addressed. The colourful, engaging illustrations by Simone Shin are absolutely lovely, highlighting growth and building each other up in a global community.

Through this collection, children are encouraged to “Be the world’s gardeners” and create communities where everyone can grow.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for this beautiful, inspirational book!
Very sweet, short book of stories about the challenges faced by girls around the world. Lovely depictions of perseverance and determination. Feels appropriate for students about 7-10. I do feel it could have had some better tools like maps etc, though for what it is it's quite sweet.

Many thanks to Kids Can Press and NetGalley for this ARC.
This little book clearly sets out the many dangers and discriminations faced by girls every day. It's so easy to take things for granted in the west- safety, sanitation, education, nutrition - but for millions of girls and women these are restricted or forbidden. This book allows us to stop and think, to start a discussion and to take steps to help our sisters around the world. The stories offer hope, show that solutions are possible and inspire youngsters to make a stand. By exposing injustice and prejudice we can begin to bring about change. A valuable and inspirational book which should be in every classroom.