Cover Image: The Once and Future Witches

The Once and Future Witches

Ali’s E. Narrow is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This book is wonderful - the writing is beautiful, the story is imaginative, and it has an old world charm while feeling fresh. I bought a copy for a friend. I imagine this will be one of those books I revisit every couple of years because I love it that much.
I read this book last year and never did a review on it. This book hits especially hard this year. This world could use some Eastwood sisters right about now. The author somehow found a way to weave together a lot of things that constitute being a woman into one single book. It seems like some of these issues will constantly be a fight.

I loved the world-building in this book – the town of New Salem You can really feel the context of the situations the sisters find themselves in because of the care the author took in crafting the world in which they lived. It seems like I’ve come across so many lately that had potential but just left it alone which detracts points for me. One of my favorite things about this book is the incorporation of stories and nursery rhymes – how the women while even in hiding refused to let go.

I found pieces of myself in several characters throughout the book – especially within the personalities of the Eastwood sisters themselves. Agnes Amaranth as a mother, Beatrice Belladonna for her love of stories and books, and last but not least James Juniper because I’m also the youngest and opinionated. I have three sisters, and the sisterly dynamic in this book was very relatable. The Eastwood sisters also have an amazing supporting cast of characters as well – and some twists regarding them I did not see coming.

If ever there was a book I wish I could experience again brand new – this one would be high on that list. I didn’t want to give anything away in my review but honestly, if this book even remotely sounds good – do yourself a favor and just read it. A huge thank you to Orbit books for the copy & the chance to read this book. A hug to Alix E. Harrow for one of the only books I wish I could read again for the first time.
This is a new favourite. Sister witches coming together to fight for women's rights? I'm all in. I love Alix Harrow's writing and this book was filled with magic, feminism, strong bonds, and overcoming trauma and fears. I thought the way magic worked was quite unique and creative (I won't mention how so you can find out for yourself). I don't read many books about witches so this sets a high bar.

Thank you Orbit books for sending me a copy to review!
I'm not sure what I think of this book--or exactly what kind of a book it is.  It takes place in the past and does mention real people and places, so does that make it historical fiction?  But then it is about witches and witchcraft, so does that make it fantasy, horror?  It  3 incredible sisters and an amazing friend, so does that make this a book about strong women and relationships?  Even though I can't categorize it, this story is exciting and the author draws readers in until they start looking around at people walking their dogs and wondering if they are really familiars that will change into wolves and there are witches among us..
Alix E. Harrow has rapidly become one of my favorite authors. I've given everything she's written so far 5 stars, and this was no different. The writing style is beautiful, and the characters were so real, they practically come off the page.
This book was interesting. I really enjoyed the story overall but it could have been better. I would definitely read something from this author in the future though.
An enjoyable fantasy novel. Fans of Alix E. Harrow's first novel will likely be fans of her sophomore effort as well.
This was a slow start for me, but then I couldn’t stop. I loved the embrace of feminine pursuits and the power and the secrets women pass to their daughters. I ached and wanted to cry. There will always be witches.
I always found myself fascinated by witches stories. Anything with an ounce of history in it felt so precious to me. Even if this one is fictional, it felt like I shared a part of history with the three sisters. I don't know if magic is in all of us, but some coincidences are too bizarre to be anything but.

I loved too how a lot of myths or tales are rewrited to show the darkest (or truest) sense of it.

The love between sisters, between a mother and her child, is sacred. It's beautiful.

Many thanks to the publisher for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
three sisters, descendants of witches,are brought together to fight for their rights. Set during the women's suffrage movement,  there's a whole lot of man bashing throughout this novel. Women good, man bad. However, one man is good enough to impregnate one of the sisters who produce a baby witch.  This author's first book is better.
This was such a great book! The way this book reimagined woman suffrage and the history of witches was seamless and haunting, especially in these times!
I thought this book was fun and I enjoyed reading it. I think I had a little higher hope for it because I love everything witches. However, that isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was great how much history was mixed in with it, because yes suffragist movement! I also love anything having to do with Salem and this also had some history on that mixed in. I thought that the plot was well written and I liked the characters, I liked how connected they were even when they were apart and they were pulled back together. Overall I enjoyed this book.
The Once and Future Witches had a slow start for me but I'm so glad I hung in there. Everything was so beautifully written and powerful. I loved the spells and the strong female characters.
I get what this was book was trying to do but the book itself was too depressing and dystopian like. We want fun funny witches.
I tried several times with this one and ended up not finishing it. I really wanted to love this book, because it felt so spooky and enticing. When in fact, it just felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I kept putting it down and going to other books instead, which is why in the end I didn't finish it.
I didn’t connect with this one but might give it a chance at some point in the future.  I think some others would connect with this one so would still recommend
A genuinely fascinating look not only into the history of witches but also the history of women's suffrage and the role fairy tales have played in our perceptions of things.
I enjoyed all the elements in this novel: a smart fantasy in an alternative history where Salem was destroyed because of the witches and rebuilt, 3 fiercely loyal sisters, strong women, witches, feminism, suffragettes, magic, and fairy tales and nursery rhymes. All of those elements are right up my alley. The only problem, in my mind, is the pacing. Around the middle, I really wanted to put it aside because it felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I wish an editor had intervened and pushed Harrow to tighten it up. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, because the last quarter is excellent.
As a thank you to Netgalley and Redhook Books/Orbit, I’d like to provide a review of Alix E. Harrow’s second novel “The Once and Future Witches.” This book held my attention for its storytelling, historical setting, and magical world. The story is told from the perspective of three sisters ( Eastwood sisters – James Juniper, Agnes Amaranth, and Beatrice Belladonna) who join the suffragette movement in New Salem. The sisters have joined this new movement of women empowerment as a means for women to come together and share the knowledge learned as witches from the past. The year is 1893 and at this point in the novel, there are and have been no witches. The magic in this novel is something that immerges as the characters come together and share the words taught to them by women in their lifetime. The novel is a metaphor for the power women can hold within a community and can implement into the suffragette movement for the ability to vote Is the power needed to address issues that women face. Harrows’ writing is impeccable and adds to the period for the women of the 19th century sound as modern as if they spoke these words today. Harrow has written a timeless story that should be read by many for an interest in historical fiction, supernatural elements, and Women's rights. After reading this novel I am intrigued to read Harrow's debut as well. I give this book a full four out of five stars on GoodReads.
DNF @ 20%
This book was perfectly fine but just not for me, so take my DNF with a grain of salt. I honestly didn't vibe with any of the sisters, I found Agnes boring and Juniper annoying. I did like Beatrice, but largely because she's sapphic and seeing her relationship with [redacted] was so cute! I almost didn't DNF just to see where their relationship went, but decided it ultimately wasn't worth it. The concept was really neat, but didn't hook me enough.

I think if you're interested in this, you should still give it a shot! But it didn't work for me.