Cover Image: The Blind Light

The Blind Light

This epic story of the life and friendship between two distinctly different social classes reminds me so much of John Jakes' Kent family chronicles.  The writing flows, the story follows a very definite path through some turbulent times when an effort must be made to be friends with someone not of your social circle.  Two young men meet and bond during  national service.  They will be friends and more their whole lives.  I had not read any of Stuart Evers back library but have already requested a couple of titles to see if I enjoy those too.
This book was not for me. I found it confusing as it jumped about and just not compelling enough to try to get through.
Thank you to W. W. Norton & Company and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book.
Unfortunately, this book took me a lot longer to finish than I expected. My initial thought is that the story wasn't as developed as it could have been. That said, the writing was beautiful. I just wish there was more depth to the storyline and characters.
This shall remain unrated because I could not finish it. I tried at least 4 different times, the first time through a Netgalley ARC and then 3 other times when I borrowed it from the library in an attempt to finally complete it. But try as I might, I couldn't become interested in the book. I didn't particularly like the main characters, the story was honestly pretty boring, and I really couldn't figure out where the story was going. There are so many books out there that I want to read that I'm going to throw in the towel. This will end up being the first ARC I could not finish and maybe the 3rd book that I've completely given up on. 2 of the other books on my "abandoned" list are books I can see myself reading again in the future. But not this one. Sorry to those who are great fans of this book. But I'm not one of them.
Thanks to NetGalley for an electronic ARC of this title.

I had great hopes for The Blind Light, but in the end came away disappointed. It's the story of Drum and Carter, who meet in the 1950s in the military. The book follows their friendship over a number of years but I found it to be entirely too long. I kept wanting the plot to move forward but it seemed to plod along. I'm not sure this would appeal to book groups due to the slow pace and sheer length of the book.
One of my favorites from NetGalley. I loved the story of Carter and Drum, two young men who meet during their military service and become lifelong friends. We see these types of books that focus on women a lot but not so much with men.  I loved how the author brought in so many moments of international history, from the IRA, Cubans Missile Crisis to ISIS, this author did his research. It’s a slow burn type of book and essentially character driven rather than plot centered, which when done well is my favorite type of book. Definitely recommend this one.  Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this free e-book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a truly great book to read.  It kept my attention well after my bedtime and up to the dawn.
Stuart Evers’ latest novel THE BLIND LIGHT spans 60 years, always a daunting task for a novelist. It is a tale of friendship and family threatened by the fear nuclear destruction. In 1959, working class Drummond Moore and upper-class James Carter meet while doing their national service at Doom Town, a nuclear training ground. They develop a mutual dependency between them which continues after their service despite the difference in their lives.

I never fully understand why Drummond is so in awe of Carter, which colored my reading experience. I think I needed to understand and relate to the center of this book; their friendship.  Sadly, I did not.

For me, this was not a great read, perhaps it would appeal more to someone looking for the historical aspects of the book.
Sorry, I realized a did not leave a review for this book prior. I just found it hard to follow and become engaged in the book. I apologize for writing in so late, but thought I should comment on my view. With some editing and development, I think the book had potential.

Thank you NetGalley, Stuart Evers, and Publisher for providing a copy of this book to me. I really appreciate it.
I wasn't able to get into this book. The premise is interesting but perhaps it's just the wrong timing for this one.  Also, for longer and harder, tougher books sometimes e-books aren't the best format. So, at another time and in paper format, it could work.
Although this started off slow, it quickly picked up until I was lost for days. Well written and absorbing.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher!
This is a beautifully-written, wonderful book. There's so much to like. Evers' eye for detail and ear for just the right word are unmatched. I loved it! I will definitely recommend this one.
Drummond and Carter met as soldiers and went together to “Doomtown,” a training center that simulates the aftermath of an atomic strike.  Their unlikely friendship blossomed throughout their time in the military and helped them deal with the unforgettable knowledge of what will happen during a nuclear strike.  Drummond relied on Carter's wealth and status to create a better life, but was at a high cost to their wives and kids.  This story explores tough love, friendship, regrets, and amends.

I was intrigued by the description of the book starts off in 1959 during the Cuban Missile Crisis time period and spans until present day.  The Blind Light had its moments of enjoyment, but other times it just was a running of phrases and words that seemed a bit much and unnecessary.  It was hard to stay engaged, but he second half was much better than the beginning.

Thank you NetGalley and W. W. Norton & Company for allowing me to read this book for an honest review.
I really wanted to like this book, but after I got halfway through it I had to abandon  ship. It just seemed to drag, jumped around time frames and characters with our any form and I found myself constantly confused. My apologies  to the author..
3 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and the Author and publisher for a copy of this ARC.. All opinions expressed are my own.
This book is not what I was expecting it to be. Sorry I could not get into the story or finish it.
I don't enjoy leaving books unread so at a later date I will pick it up and try rereading this.
This is a lovely novel. Maybe a touch too long, but I sure did fall in love with these characters. The story is melancholy...but also sweet—a thoughtful examination of friendship, jealousy, love, disappointment, and loyalty. Know that you’ll need to take your time with this one, but your efforts will be rewarded.
After multiple attempts to read the book. Skim it. Get thru it. I had to give up and wave the white flag. The timeline jumps a lot and while normally that doesn’t bother me the writing to me seem very unorganized. I read the rave reviews and wanted to love this so much. I was so hopeful. I just was unable. Maybe it’s quarantine. Maybe it’s the style of the writing. I will not be leaving this review on my social media sites. I feel it’s unfair to the author and the readers.
This is an atmospheric novel which is rich in detail with complex characters.  It is the story of a friendship which spans decades. Fear and world events are at the epicenter of the story, much like our current status.
Many thanks to W.W. Norton & Company and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I really wanted to like this book.  But I just couldn't.  I just couldn't get into the writing style.  It was so confusing to me that I couldn't follow the plot line and never really felt I understood the story.  It took a long time to understand the relationship between the characters and I finally looked back at the book description to figure it out.  This is not a book I would recommend to the casual reader.
Thank you NetGalley, W.W. Norton & Company and Stuart Evers for the advance readers copy of "The Blind Light" for my honest review.

The book starts out first as children and quickly jumps into their adulthood.  It is a story of the haves and have nots.  Friendship, manipulation, love and loss. At times I struggled with the reading, but at the end it all comes together.