Cover Image: The Broken Hearts Honeymoon

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon

This was a DNF for me. I was super interested at first and liked the flashbacks but after the first few chapters it became a bit too much,

The book seemed interesting and the tourist aspect of it had a lot of promise it just wasn't really what I was looking for. That being said the writing style was good and if you're interested in that kind of book I would recommend it!

Thank you for the opportunity to review!
This book was amazing and I really enjoyed everything about it.

The story focuses on Charlotte, who is a very real and down to earth character, with real struggles and flaws.
Charlotte’s wedding plans fall through and she decides to go on their month-long honeymoon on her own - all the way to Japan!!

Japan is a huge part of this book and I loved finding out all about its culture. It was beautifully written and honestly felt like I had escaped to Japan.

This book doesn’t focus on a love story or romance but more on Charlotte’s journey, both her physical one to Japan and also her emotional one.

A wonderful, heartwarming adventure and I loved it.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Arrow Books and the author for an advanced reader’s copy of The Broken Hearts Honeymoon in exchange for my honest review.

FIRST IMPRESSION:

It feels like it has been months of quarantine and I miss travelling very very much… not that I travelled lots before but I like to move around. Then there is the fact that I practically grew up wanting to travel to Japan ever since I started watching Naruto when I was maybe twelve years old or maybe even younger. I bought books based on Japanese culture and made Pinterest boards on everything Japanese. So yes, I chose to read an armchair adventure where the main character lives her lifelong dream of travelling to Japan. Everything makes complete sense!

THE STORY:

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon follows Charlotte or Charlie as everyone calls her, whose fiancé Matt suggests they take a break to “sow their wild oats” weeks before their wedding date. Huge ol’ red flag there, so Charlie’s dream of the perfect wedding and life crumbles, leaving her with non-refundable bills and the Honeymoon Highlights tour they booked to Japan. Rather than cancel the tour, Charlie decides to join the tour on her own. Ever since she was little, Charlie had wanted to be a travel writer and travel to Japan like her idol Ariel Cortez.

What follows is Charlie’s first wild adventure where she discovers all the amazing riches Japan has to offer while discovering herself and what it means to be Charlie.

MY FIVE REASON WHY IT'S THE PERFECT ARMCHAIR ADVENTURE:

1. Charlie felt like a best friend I would treasure having.

The whole book is told through Charlie’s eyes, both present and past, so the story felt like Charlie letting me in on her innermost thoughts and fears. It reminded me of a journal-style of writing: personal, open and self-probing. I myself journal quite a lot and this style really spoke to me.

2. Charlie’s family are the best cheerleaders anyone could ever want.

Charlie has a big family of 4 siblings and they are all so very close to each other. Since Charlie is travelling in Japan for most of the book, there were group videocalls and her own memories to give the reader a feel of what Charlie’s support group was like. It reminded me so much of my own family!

I also love that the author managed the give all her siblings their own individual personalities and show them off through videocalls. I felt like I knew them all personally. They were such a fun addition to the book and to Charlie’s own life.

3. The humour is very British and I loved it!

When I scrolled through my highlights of the book, a good portion of them were me laughing at jokes Charlie made. Being in this woman’s head was such a delightful experience because all her experiences were tinged with her unapologetic sense of humour.

I would drag Charlie off with me on any adventure I would plan on going just to keep the mood fun and light!

4. Japan is beautifully brought to life.

The author does a mighty fine job of employing imagery to describe the beauty and grace of Japan. She employed such beautiful language to describe everything from urban neighbourhoods to serene countryside. I was deeply immersed in the whole experience and I honestly felt like crying from all the wanderlust this book brought out in me!

At this point, I would read anything travel-related this author publishes just to experience that imagery in my mind’s eye!

I also loved that through the journal-style writing, the author takes the time to show Charlie learning Japanese concepts like ikigai and wabi-sabi. Personally, I felt like a learnt a lot just reading this book and that’s something I’ll cherish.

5. Charlie’s journey of self-discovery wrenched tears out of me!

Through all the hilarity and beauty of the setting, Charlie’s growth was the main star of the story. I liked how her evolution was subtle and gradual. I did not end up continually getting reminded about Charlie needing to grow up or grow independent or anything. Her growth was very organic and reminded me of my own journey.

At the end of the book, I was so proud of Charlie that I teared up a little. I was literary cheering her on so enthusiastically! As I said before, I felt like Charlie and I got ridiculously close and seeing her grow into a better, stronger version of herself was just amazing. And a lot of her journey felt familiar and relatable.

FINAL VERDICT:

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon started out as a jilted bride’s escape from her problems to the beautiful land of Japan, but ended up being the story of a woman’s amazing journey to find herself and what she wants from life in the beauty and grace of Japanese culture. This is what I would call a wholesome story with just the right amount of heart and adventure to inspire the reader.
Charlotte is suppose to be getting married but her fiancé throws a spanner in the works and she has no choice but to call off the wedding. A lot of things can be refunded but not the amazing trip to Japan that they had planned as their honeymoon. Instead of letting it go to waste Charlotte decides to go on the trip alone, even though it’s a couple’s tour for the most part.

Firstly, good on Charlotte for sticking up for herself and not backing down when her fiancé was pretty awful. I loved how determined she was and also how brave she was for doing something huge all on her own. She’s quite a young character with not a lot of life experience so a trip to Japan alone would have been quite scary. I grew to love Charlotte more and more as I read the book, following her on her journey and learning more about herself.

The setting of Japan was amazing and I loved the whole adventure. Japan isn’t somewhere I know a lot about but this book does a great job of highlighting both historical sites, religion and pop culture really well. It definitely made me think about a trip there myself to see some of the things that were described.

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon is such a fun book and not your average romance. In fact, I wouldn’t really call it a romance at all and that was a really refreshing change for me.
The Broken Hearts Honeymoon is officially one of the best hooks I’ve read this year and it’s only June.

Life got in the way so I couldn’t read this one before publication say and I’m sorry for that because this book was uplifting and highly entertaining. I expected a love story, I thought the main character Charlotte finds a new love. Okay, I wasn’t too wrong becuase she does…just not in the way I expected.

Charlotte has it all planned out. A perfect wedding, a month-long honeymoon and a dreamjob ready for her. But her life turns upside down when her fiancé -the twat - stars having second thoughts and she cancels the wedding. What could she possibly do now? She goes on the honeymoon, alone. After initial struggles with loneliness and regret, she realizes this is her best opportunity  to come to grips with what she really wants and who she really is.

I admire Charlotte. She has the courage to do something I never could. She gets up off the floor and she is stronger than she ever was before.

Japan. I’ve never been there but while reading this amazing story I felt like I was there with Charlotte, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto and all the other beautiful places and I felt my heart becoming lighter.

And I absolutely adored the little snippets of Charlotte’s past. They are funny or embarrassing but she fondly remembers them.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy. I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book centres on Charlotte and Matt who are engaged and have been together since they were teenagers, however, 3 weeks before the wedding Matt decides they should have a week apart to sow some wild oats. But what if there is something better out there?
I adored this book it gripped me from the very first page and I read it in one sitting. It is beautifully written and the characters are well written and well developed, even though I wanted to hate Matt I really couldn’t. I laughed, I cried and I didn’t want it to end. This book also made me miss travelling and made me think what a perfect holiday read this would be
Charlotte and Matt have been together since they were 14; aren't they destined to be together?

But 3 weeks before the wedding Matt suggests to have a week apart... from each other....to 'sow some wild oats.'

Not knowing anything else but each other, is it not best to see what else is out there?

This novel is BEAUTIFUL! It's written for you to get lost in. Yes, you feel the emotions of the characters and feel sorry for both sides; understanding Matt wanting to explore more, not knowing anyone else but Charlotte, but, also Charlotte and how she struggles to be single without him.

This is a novel about heartache, about finding yourself and about having the support of your family along the way. Tears welled up in me reading the support Charlotte has, the grieving process she goes through and the truth in finding herself!

But the biggest thing this novel teaches us is about seeing the beauty in imperfections!

This novel made me jealous! My one regret and wish is that I wish I was more well-traveled.

If you want to get lost in a novel absorbing the detail of Japan then I would recommend this book.

I understand a lot of holidays have been canceled over the last year, so maybe not for those who are feeling disheartened about not having a holiday recently.

Overall brilliant read, that I would recommend and would read again.
Thank you to NetGalley, Random House UK and Cornerstone for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Broken Hearts Honeymoon.

Wow! I loved it and read it, in under 24 hours. Granted, it was pouring with rain in the UK and I had nothing else to do but it was such a wonderful book. Informative, educational, happy, sad, comical and slightly heart-breaking, I experienced such a wide range of emotions whilst reading it I didn’t want it to end.

Charlotte and Matt are the perfect couple, they’ve been together since they were 14, they stayed at sixth form together, went to the same university and were planning their perfect life together after their perfect wedding.... until Matt decided perhaps things weren’t so perfect after all. Their honeymoon was all booked and paid for, and Japan had been the one place Charlotte had always wanted to visit, so she bravely packs her bags and flies off to the other side of the world, on her own, and slowly begins to find herself.

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon is such a lovely book, Lucy Dickens writes with such passion and knowledge of Japan, you feel as though are travelling around the country with Charlotte. The author’s descriptive writing is addictive. I wanted to be hiking through the Japanese Alps with Charlotte, taking tea in the Japanese gardens and meditating with the monks.

Less of a love story and more of a story about self-love, Lucy Dickens shows us how often learning about different cultures can make us see things in a new light and encourages us to change our lives for the better.

I would recommend The Broken Hearts Honeymoon to anyone who needs some escapism, to live and enjoy someone else’s life for a while and you know what, you’ll learn some things whilst you’re reading it too.
This book is so much more than meets the eye. I thought of it as a nice easy read in between thrillers, but I found myself really enjoying the book. It has a lot more depth than others in the same genre. The main character is very likable, and although I have never found myself in a similar situation, I found that she felt very relatable. I enjoyed reading her story of self discovery, and the adventures she takes. It has definitely made me want to visit Japan! All in all, I thought it was well written and enjoyable.
I absolutely loved this story of self discovery. I was hooked right from the start. The writing just flowed so smoothly and made for such a pleasant read.

The story is told first person by Charlotte and starts when her fiancé asks for a hall pass three weeks before the wedding. Charlotte ends up going on their honeymoon to Japan alone and has so many adventures there. Growing up my best friend was Japanese so I have been a huge fan of Japanese food and Japanese people for many years, but have never been overly interested in visiting the country until now. Don’t get me wrong, Japan seemed nice enough, but now having read about all the different sides to Japan, the various extremes between city life and island life and the Japanese Alps and all those Natural parks and beautiful nature, well now I am definitely keen to go one day. I think it just needs to be at a time when I can go for a longer period and without young kids, to get the most out of it.

I loved Charlotte’s relationship with her siblings and just the whole character of Charlotte. Certain things she said or thought just resonated with me. Charlotte is definitely a girl of my heart!

“I don’t know about you, but my mind really struggles to shut the hell up...”

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly.

I would absolutely love to read more books about Charlotte, so I hope Lucy Dickens will consider making it into a series.

I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for a chance to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a cute, light, feelgood read. I loved reading about the characters and struggled to put it down. I did get a bit confused at the beginning but when i kept going it all made sense and was a lovely read.
Actual rating: 4.5🌟

This book is like a portal to Japan for me, not just the place but also the culture.❤

At first I thought I'll dnf this one because it has (for me) a very slow start. There's a lot of info dumping and just too much descriptions and the story got lost along the way. But I persevered and little by little learned to appreciate our main character, Charlotte.

Charlotte just cancelled her wedding and decided to still go for the honeymoon trip alone. She was all brave and confident on her way to Japan but upon arriving she realized how unprepared she really is.

This story is more on Charlotte's soul searching and self discovery sprinkled with a rich background of Japan and its culture. The thing that really resonated with me is the concept of ikigai. This is the first time I've heard of it. I googled it and it means 'a reason for being'. Knowing what your purpose is in a given time and just embracing who you are.

I have lots of realizations while reading the latter half of the book. It was a very calming and cleansing read.😏

Recommended for those who loves Women's Fiction, travelling and soul searching or self discovery kind of books.👍

***Thanks to the publisher and author for making this book available for review via Netgalley.***
Cute read. Definitely made me feel homesick for Japan. I wasn't a fan of the spliced narrative—flashbacks to time with ex being inserted into the present timeline. It just felt unnecessary.
I've been loving this cute light reads lately and this one was super good. I loved the characters and the story line and I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend of you are looking for something to get you out of a reading slump. A perfect beach read.
Thanks to Random House UK, Cornerstone and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC. The below opinions are my own.

This story follows Charlotte who embarks on a solo honeymoon trip to Japan after she breaks off the engagement with her fiancé. She doesn't want to lose out on the non refundable trip costs and she's also wanted to visit Japan for a long time.

I've always wanted to travel to Japan for a long time and I could do a bit of arm chair travel with this book. The Japanese culture is explained well in this book and I felt as if I was also experiencing the same things as Charlie.

It was fun reading about Charlie's adventures in Japan and especially in Tokyo. It was very realistic and the camaraderie between Charlie and her siblings was heart warming. They are but fleeting characters in this novel as it focuses only on Charlie. People who have already visited Japan can reminisce with this novel and it encourages others to want to visit Japan.

Sometimes the flashbacks disrupted the plot but it was nice to read how Charlie used this trip and social media to inch closer towards her dream job. I love hoe she falls in love with herself and how she discovers who she is when she is alone.

A delightful heartwarming read!
If you don't want to go Japan after reading this book, I don't know if you ever will!
This book was such an amazing read and I really enjoyed getting to know the Japanease culture much more.

I was a bit confused in the beginning because I found the setting of the first thing happening quite unrealistic.. Other than that I didn't really connect with Matts charachter and that is the reason that it wasn't a five star read, because other than that it was amazing to read!
What do you do when you need a thrilling adventure in a country you’ve long dreamed of visiting but have no currently realistic way of actually going to?

Well - you read a book, of course!

The book is dedicated “to anybody in need of an armchair adventure”, and thanks to author Lucy Dickens, I just had the most wonderful, calming, lovely, vicarious immersion into the culture, people and places of Japan and savored every moment! It was just what I needed before my family and I jump into a slightly less relaxing and enjoyable adventure of packing up and moving this month.

Charlotte has been with her fiance, Matt, since they were school children, and they’ve never known an existence without the other.  Now three weeks before their wedding, followed by their planned month-long honeymoon tour of Japan, Matt presents this brilliant option to Charlotte:

“... how about we take a week off … a pre-wedding break … a holiday from each other … a week off from our relationship, to sow some wild oats, to make sure that we’re doing the right thing?”

*Record scratch* Um. What??  Needless to say, this suggestion is NOT received favorably by his wife-to-be, and Charlotte puts a literal break in their wedding plans.  Broken heart aside and life dreams smashed to pieces what does she decide to do?

Duh … go on her honeymoon minus her honey!

What should have been a month of celebrating the beginning of her new life as a married woman, and her upcoming internship at travel magazine Adventure Awaits in pursuit of her goal to be a travel writer, her honeymoon instead becomes a journey of self-discovery in this foreign land, a la Eat, Pray, Love style. In Japan, this is called ‘ikigai’, which means finding your purpose and living happily. By its nature it’s flexible and fluid, changing with each day and experience that comes.

It took me a short minute to get invested in Charlotte as a character, and I couldn’t really relate to her “decision by sibling committee” way of making major decisions, since that’s not my own experience with my siblings, but despite that, she grew on me quickly.  It was fun to journey alongside her as she experienced the color, lights and sounds of busy Tokyo and Harajuku, and immersed herself in the natural beauty of the ocean, bamboo forests, cherry blossoms, Japanese gardens, temple shrines, hot springs and mountains in places like Kyoto, Ishigaki Island, Hiroshima and Nagano. Don’t even get me started on the food.  I want to eat it all.

Those are some of the places she went, but I’ll leave the joy of discovering her specific adventures - which range from fun and light-hearted to more thoughtful and contemplative - to those who choose to read this.  Her experiences in each place and what she learned about the Japanese ideas of life are what made this such a fun and delightful book to read, and one with some added meaning and depth.  Those thinking it’ll be a fluffy romance will be disappointed.  It’s not absent altogether, but it’s barely there, and I really appreciated that.  It wasn’t about Charlotte finding her meaning in a man, it was about her finding the meaning and joy of being herself and creating the life of adventure she’s always wanted.  First stop, Japan.  Next stop … who knows? Adventure awaits!

★★★★ ½
Thanks to NetGalley, Rand0mHouse UK/Cornerstone and author Lucy Dickens for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinions. It will be published May 27, 2021.
2 1/2 stars

Charlotte and Matt are a few weeks away from their wedding when it gets cancelled. Charlotte has always dreamed of being a travel journalist and has an internship at her favorite travel magazine starting when she would of returned from the honeymoon. She decides to go ahead & take the trip to Japan alone in order to experience some adventure in the wake of her heartbreak.

It was slow going in the beginning. I found Charlotte annoying at the start. Also, I had issues with the premise.
I mean they've been together since high school, 10 year relationship, living together and you're still not married! Just engaged. Really!!! What's the point of that????

It did pick up about 1/3 way thru once she's on her trip. I've been lucky enough to have traveled to Japan. I was able to invoke memories of my trip thru the narrative. The writer does a great job of painting a visual of the sights, sounds, food & people of that country. Definitely makes you want to travel there or return for another visit.

There was some humor and Charlotte does develop as a person while on the trip so she became less annoying.
I enjoyed this novel for the most part.  Although I've never had plans to travel to Japan, there are definitely a variety of locations I wasn't aware of that this character was able to travel too.  At certain times the story dragged on a bit, and I did find myself putting down the book and picking up something else, but overall it was a sweet story, even though I wish we found out more in the end.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

Fun plot concept but I found that I didn’t connect with the main characters.  I think it was the jumping back and forward between present day and flashbacks combined with the use of lists so early in the story.  I think that was the main reason I never made a connection with Charlotte and so didn’t really didn’t care that the wedding was off.  Plus I never really got the feeling Charlotte cared all that much either.