Cover Image: The Broken Hearts Honeymoon

The Broken Hearts Honeymoon

A heartwarming story of self-discovery set in beautiful Japan!

I picked up this book as a lighter read to cheer me up during COVID times, and it definitely did the trick! When Charlotte is unceremoniously dumped by her fiancé just days before their wedding, she decides to make the most of it and take their Japanese honeymoon by herself. Along the way, she crafts her own identity independent of her fiancé (they had dated since high school) and explores Japan on her own terms.

I loved Charlotte’s optimism, strength, and zest for travel - she felt like the kind of person you’d want to be best friends with. And at a time when international travel is certainly not possible, I enjoyed the chance to 'get away” and enjoy Japan through Charlotte’s eyes. There is a bit of romance here (I don’t want to spoil too much) but this is primarily a story of self-love and acceptance.

Highly recommend if you’re wishing you could hop on a plane right now - this is a lovely quick read filled with positivity.

Thank you to Random House UK/Cornerstone for providing an ARC on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
When Charlotte and her fiancé break up just a week before her wedding, she's not just heart-broken, she's entirely lost, all her future plans now uncertain. Suddenly determined to do something truly on her own, she decides to go ahead with her dream trip to Japan, originally meant as her honeymoon, now her very first solo trip anywhere.

For me, there are two things that stick out about 'Broken Hearts Honeymoon'. Firstly, while I assumed from both the marketing and the cover art that this would be a romance, it isn't. There is some small romance in it - and a dash of sex, too - but it is entirely the story of Charlotte learning how to cope with loneliness, and how to be alone. The highs and lows of her emotional journal will be recognisable to anyone who has had to do the same.

Secondly, as a 'travel' story it's an absolute gem. Nothing Charlotte does in Japan is humdrum or ordinary: everything, from eating to getting injured is an experience in itself. It made me yearn to be there with her, sharing those experiences and truly getting to see and hear and taste and feel the things that she does. Sadly, I read the book during lockdown, the closest I could actually get was ordering a bento box from a local restaurant...

Many of the clichés of chicklit were missing, which was also a nice change. Rather than a cloying BFF Charlotte has a handful of siblings, and her journey is punctuated with texts and phonecalls with them, supporting her and each other in an extremely wholesome and lovely way.

The only 'meh' from me was a small one - Charlotte's use of social media is integral to the plotline, but the updates about her viewers and followers did grate a little. One of the reasons I read is to escape from social media for a while!

Overall, a great light read. I hope Lucy Dickens returns us to Charlotte's family again in the future - I'd love to see more of them.

An ARC was generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
I normally read romance, which this book isn't. However, it does have romantic elements, and as a traveler, I loved the overall plot.

Charlotte's fiance suggests they "take a break for a week" three weeks from their wedding - but still get married. She's, understandably, horrified, and calls the whole thing off. They've already booked a one month trip to Japan.

Charlotte wisely takes off to Japan by herself. Her trip is adorable, full of introspection and the wonders she finds in Japan. As this is not a romance novel, there isn't a romantic thread throughout the book, but Charlotte is not without the love of her family and a well-timed fling.

One of my favorite lines:

"Mostly, right now, I'm just enjoying how we seem to be making each other glow." ♥

Great read, especially for an armchair traveler.
Wow, I was blown away by this book! Wasn’t prepared for the emotional journey I would take once I started reading it. Such a beautiful story with stunning descriptions of Japan, I could almost feel the sea breeze in my hair  and the sun on my face. Charlotte is a real heroine of a main character and I loved following her journey of self discovery. Truly amazing read. Highly recommend!
Amazing!!
1st for those whose favorite holiday destination is JAPAN, yes you must read this, additional knowledge :)

Well the stories most likely about Charlotte (also know as Charlie) broken heart adventure through Japan after call of her wedding. Or can I say its like reading a "trip to Japan" magazine / recommendation.
Slow pacing for me, though its great have to visualize Japan in her story. I even google every place she mentions. And felt like on holiday with her there in Japan.

At 60% of reading there! I can say that Charlotte really having fun and forget her stupid ex-fiance Matt! Fuh that's a relief. Hehehehe

Love how close Charlotte and her sibling are. I even get few awkward feeling between her and her little brother Benny... Hah!  Just awkward. So yes they are close.

Anyway I'm enjoying reading it. I'll put japan on my next family holiday trip.
Thank you NetGalley, Random House UK and Lucy Dickens for gifting me an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!
	If you’re looking for your next feel-good, romance with a strong female lead and a realistic love story, look no further!
	The Broken Hearts Honeymoon was a quick and light read that left me smiling and wanting a vacation to Tokyo. This is my second Tokyo based book this summer and I am about one book away from booking the next flight out of Iowa!
	Readers follow Charlotte on her journey to rediscover herself after a bad breakup. Charlotte is not your usual leading lady. Lucy Dickens very clearly did her research. Japan was brought to life through the pages of this book with details making me feel like I’d taken a trip with Charlotte.
This is the ultimate in armchair travel! And as I'm craving a holiday right now, like many of us I'm sure, this came at the perfect time.
Charlie is preparing for her wedding which is only weeks away when her fiance, in front of their friends, asks her if she fancies taking a break to "make sure they're sure" and sow any wilds oats! Understandably, Charlie realises that they are on different pages and calls off the wedding. They try to cancel their honeymoon which is a trip of a lifetime to Japan, something that has always been on Charlie's "to visit" list but they're told they can't get their money back so Charlie makes the brave decision to go on honeymoon alone.
This is a romance novel with a difference. It's not about falling in love with someone but falling in love with yourself.
I am definitely going to look out for more Lucy Dickens books.
This was an okay book. I was excited about the premise as I love Japan and lived there for a few years myself, but I just didn't love this book. The writing was a little bland and I didn't really feel a connection to the main character. The descriptions of Japan were just a little cut and dry.

The majority of this book was fine, but towards the end I started to have issues. I didn't like that Matt showed up in Japan to win her back, and it was especially cringe-worthy that he burst into a temple during a meditation. I don't think anyone could be THAT clueless. Also, the weird behavior Charlotte's brother Benny was exhibiting throughout was NEVER resolved. Why include any of that if we never find out why he was acting that way?

Overall, I think this book just wasn't quite for me.
There is not a single thing I don’t love about this book!!! It’s given me an absolute desperate urge to go to Japan and most importantly really do some soul searching. An absolutely gorgeous, heart warming, page turner!
Guess what? I read this book in one day!! It was such an interesting read. I never have a long time relationship or a real relationship lol but I can connect to the main character, Charlotte aka Charlie hah xD It was fun reading how Charlie trying to rediscovering herself during her honeymoon that she went alone. She cancelled the weddding because her stupid fiance gets cold feet asdfhhkll I'm pissed off!!Her fiance suck!! I loved following her journey to Japan. It make me feels like I was there and make me wanted to go to Japan too. Ohh ohhh and I loved her relationship with her siblings!!

Thank you Netgalley for The Broken Hearts Honeymoon ARC!
Great empowering read for the genre, it’s such a great read, seeing a character on their journey of self growth and worth, learning to love herself over running off to find a man to heal herself.  This brings me to the other journey Charlotte  takes, to Japan, I loved the fact Lucy has clearly researched her story well, because I Love Japanese culture and I haven’t been, but Lucy made me feel like I have, I felt immersed in this book. With a year most of us can’t travel or won’t be willing to or be able to afford it, books that are well written, well researched are a treasure and they make me feel so much happier, even if I’m only travelling in my armchair. I highly recommend this to take you away, well for the books journey anyway.

Please not this relates to the e-book as the paperback will now be published on 1st April 2021

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
First of all, many thanks to Netgalley for this advanced copy.

Charlotte "Charlie" and her long time boyfriend, Matt are planning for their wedding and she is excited to spend their three week honeymoon in Japan! But then, their wedding is cancelled when Matt starts having second thoughts. They cannot cancel the honeymoon either that Charlie end up going to this Honeymoon tour to Japan--alone to fulfill her childhood wish.

Having lived in Japan during the early days of my childhood and my two years ago visit to Japan, reading this book brought me some fresh memories of Japan. Of course, I have not visited Hiroshima or Nagano or the islands around Japan but still brought me memories of my childhood in Japan, particularly the part about Disneyland, which I have visited million times, when I was living in Japan.. The middle parts till the end was based on Japan itself--the vivid descriptions of the places particularly when Charlie goes hiking and visiting Kyoto makes the reader feel as if they are in Japan. That they too are in enjoying this adventure with Charlie. The description of kayaking, snorkeling and hiking in the woods also made the reader feel as if they are also doing these activities with Charlie.

I also like how the author has explained the Japanese culture in detail, so the reader can get to know more about the Japanese culture. Particularly about the tea ceremony and kabuki performance. I know not many people are familiar with the Japanese culture so I am glad that the author has written it in detail and the reader can experience the culture without having going to Japan. The story was funny in some ways, as Charlie is trying to learn some Japanese phrases for her to get around the place. Some parts of the story was emotional and heartbreaking, particularly the parts when Charlie is feeling lonely during the honeymoon tour, though in the end, she does her solo adventure around Japan. I also can understand Charlie's feelings in the book.

The book was well written but I kind of wished there was an epilogue after the chapter was over--like maybe fast forward to six months or a year later with Charlie working in the travel magazine. I would be curious as a reader to know what Charlie is planning to do, once she returned back from England. I felt some parts are bit overexaggerated, but maybe that's just me. To me, some parts of the chapters were a bit confusing--one minute Charlie was in another place and all of a sudden, she seems to be in a different place. I don't know whether it was a typing error but that made me confused at times.

Overall, this is a good book, adventurous and for those who never been to Japan, this book might be perfect
I found this a bit of a predictable read, but enjoyed it non the less. I was too keen on the flashbacks.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
I loved this book. Lucy Dickens style of wit and plot makes for an amazing story. A great book for women and lovers of self growth, self love and coming of age values.
This story started out mildly interesting. Charlotte was engaged to a man she had been with since a teenager and the man got cold feet, wondering if there was something better out there. Charlotte then decides to cancel the wedding, but does decide to go on the honeymoon to Japan that was already planned. The majority of the book takes place during her travels to Japan. This book may be interesting to someone really interested in Japan. It felt like groundhog day over and over just in Japan. The travel part could have been much more engaging.
The characters she met were not particularly interesting, nor was anything that happened there aside from one scene. This scene the author really could have flushed out and made much longer, but instead it was a mere blip on the radar screen. None of the characters in the book were developed to the extent they could have been, and to me the book just flopped. It also had American political references and pop culture references (with an agenda), which I hate in books. Overall a light read, just not near as fun or engaging as it could have been.
2.5 stars- rounded up for Goodreads. I struggled with this novel. I think the main issue for me was the flash backs which seemed to be heavily featured but seemed to be parachuted in. Instead of being brought in by them, I was forced out by both the content and the change in formatting on my device- not a good combination no matter how I try to spin it.

I also struggled with liking Charlotte and the timelines of her doing things- I had too many moments where I had to circle back because it seemed like she was time traveling with the speed from place to place. I think a bit more of feeling out the experiences than checking them off a list would have made the story more fluid. I find it to be nearly impossible  to finish a book if I’m not on the same team as the main character.

In theory I should have loved everything about this. I love women’s fiction, I adore travel, by all accounts it should have been a home run. I hope that many others enjoy is but I found it was not for me.

DNF @ 35%.
I really liked the premise of this story, but I felt its execution was lack-luster. This was sold as a Japanese version of Eat Pray Love, but it doesn't even compare. The narration style was like reading a short post on Buzzfeed rather than an actual novel. I really don't like how the reader was addressed throughout the book. It also seems like the author wrote a book about a trip she wanted to take rather than having taken this trip.
* I received the ebook for this from @Netgalley for an honest review *

I absolutely loved this book. It was so much more than what I expected. When Charlotte calls off the wedding of her dreams she decides to still go on her honeymoon alone. She spends so much time touring around Japan and really works hard to figure out who she is as her own person and being on her own. The description of the scenery is amazing. There were terms in the book that were mentioned that I wasn’t sure about but happy to look up what they stood for.(Ie. ikegai)

It was so beautifully written that it makes you want to go there and experience it for yourself. This was my first 5 star of the year!

*posted on goodreads*
Firstly, I’d like to say that if this review doesn’t make you want to buy/download/run to the library then I have not done this book justice.
What I originally interpreted as a love note to Japan soon became a clear message to anyone who has ever felt truly broken.  I laughed and cried with Charlotte’s adventures and I willed her to kiss the boy with Caramel hair and for her to see the parrot fish as she snorkelled in the clear waters of a paradise island.
I see books as escapism, a chance to visit new places and scenarios.  I finished this book feeling like I’d visited Japan and discovered my own Ikigai (secret to a happy life).  I feel, all at once, calmer and able to face life’s hurdles.
The ending of this story, for me, came too quickly but it was filled with happiness and a positive outlook for the future.
I don’t include spoilers in my reviews and will leave it there before I give away too much of the magic.
When was the last time you read a romance novel about a character falling in love - with herself?
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Broken Hearts Honeymoon follows Charlotte on her honeymoon, with a catch – she’s taking her honeymoon tour to Japan by herself after her fiancé decides he’d rather sow his wild oats. Charlotte’s always wanted to be an adventurer and travel writer, and she sets out to rediscover her love of travel while putting herself back together after a decade long relationship.
Lucy Dickens has written a lovely, warm story about self-discovery and adventure. Charlotte’s voice is hilarious, and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Charlotte’s relationship with her family is wonderful, and her struggles, romantic and otherwise, felt so real all the way through.
Now let’s talk travel. Most of this book is set in Japan, and Charlotte does everything she possibly can, from the streets and sights of Tokyo to scuba diving in Ishigaki to staying in a monastery. Inspired by the gorgeous descriptions, I found myself Googling monuments, cultural sites, and cities all the way through, and folks, I’ve never left a book wanting to visit more. Dickens seems (I say seems as I haven’t yet been to Japan) to have authentically appreciated the beauty of Japan in this novel, and I discovered so much through this story.
Charlotte is the type of respectful traveler we should all emulate. She preps for her trip by researching the cultural and religious sites she will be visiting and memorizing the customs and appropriate ways to pay respect. She learns as much of the language as she can and uses it even though it can be nerve wracking. She works on not normalizing her own experiences vs. the new, and so many more little things. It was so heartening to read about Charlotte’s journey and take a few notes along the way.
I can’t wait for travel to be unrestricted again (when it is safe to do so, and not a moment sooner). In the meantime, if you’d like to go on a journey of love, heartbreak, and what happens next, all while experiencing Charlotte’s travels through Japan, I would highly recommend picking up The Broken Hearts Honeymoon. I give this delightful read four stars out of five!⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Broken Hearts Honeymoon is available now as an e-book and the paperback is out July 23rd! Thank you to Arrow, Cornerstone, and @netgalley for this #gifted e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.