Cover Image: Too Good to Be True

Too Good to Be True

I know this book doesn't come out until 2021, but it is earning a spot on my top books read in 2020! As soon as I started reading Too Good To Be True, I could not put the book down and finished it in less than 48 hours. This book will hook you right away and you may think you have it all figured out by the end of part one, but Carola Lovering hits you with some curveballs in part two and makes you question everything you think you know about what is going to happen.

I loved that the book offers the perspective of the three main characters with each chapter. The characters also flip flop between likable and unlikable throughout the whole story making you question who you really should be rooting for in this toxic triangle. The chapters switch back and forth between different timelines, but it is needed to build the story and it flows easy where it is never confusing.

I always base my book choices off of the synopsis, but this is the one book where it helps to not read the synopsis and go in blindly. Too Good To Be True will take you on a wild ride and it is so worth it!
This is probably my favorite thriller since Gone Girl and that's saying a lot.

Skye and Burke have whirlwind romance, and fall madly in love despite their nearly 20 year age difference. But is Burke too good to be true? His current wife, Heather might think so.

The story unfolds with 3 perspectives: Skye, Burke in letters to his doctor and Heather, starting from 30 years ago.  All three perspectives were well devoloped and enthralling.

This is a fantastic book. The writing is great, the mystery keeps you guessing and the twists well done but not over the top. My only complaint is that the last part of the book seemed to drag on a bit more than necessary. If it would have been a bit more fast paced at the end, this would have really knocked it out of the park.

4.5 stars rounded up.

Thank you St Martin's Press and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
When social climbing goes wrong. Very wrong.

A must for fans of Greer Hendricks' "The Wife Between Us" or Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl," Carola Lovering's "Too Good to Be True" is a terrific contemporary psychological thriller and warning of what can happen when ambition and greed meet on a collision course.

Skye Starling is a beautiful, young, single heiress with a team of loyal girlfriends, a Barnard degree, and a spacious, stylish (and paid for!) apartment in NYC. Sound "too good to be true?" Well, she's still dealing with the death of her beloved mother, smarting from a bad breakup, and living with crippling OCD, a disorder that keeps her from working in a normal office, exiting rooms with doors or looking at clocks without feeling like she's going to implode. But she's about to meet a "perfect" man who will change her life and fill the gaping hole in her heart. Or will he?

Carola Lovering's new novel from St. Martin's, while not perfect, is packed with plot twists and surprising turns of events. Engaging themes of love and deceit, ambition, disappointment, greed, and revenge run throughout as well as explorations of family, loyalty, and commitment. The trap of social media is also a big part of the story. I hesitate to use this cliche, but I couldn't put it down. This will be a huge beach read for 2021.
Domestic thrillers are high up on my preferences list these days, as they almost always have. This book definitely delighted my need to read the genre with it's intricate and full characters, making for a great thriller.
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

4+ stars

Solid thriller told in three POVs (with two of them not so trustworthy). Major twist halfway. The type of book that you keep saying “one more chapter” and then I will take a break.
A fun to read, twisty thriller. Has a feel and drama of a soap opera, in good way! Would recommend this to readers who like romance meets domestic thriller.
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.  Advised by a friend to go read this with as little info about book as possible.  I did that and goodness, what a great ride.  Grabbed me at once, good thing it was a rainy day because I wasn't going to put the book down
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced reader copy. Wow, this book kept me on my toes from beginning to end. I loved the alternating POV, and really wasn’t sure how everything would play out. The writing style was addictive. The only part I could have done without was the sexual assault scene. I’m not sure how that added to the story- we could’ve known Max was a bad guy without that. However, still really liked this book. I will continue to read this author and will recommend this to anyone who likes a good psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns.
Was really excited to read Too Good to Be True. Carola’s first book, Tell Me Lies, resonated with me and I always recommend it to others. While I couldn’t put Too Good to Be True down, I didn’t enjoy it. The plot was easily figured out very early into reading and never found myself connected to any of the characters. By the end of the book I found myself scanning pages and checked out of the story.
Too Good to Be True is one of those books that just grabs ahold of you and won't let you stop reading. When you think you know what's going to happen, suddenly everything is spun a completely different way. I don't want to spoil anything or give anyone clues or ideas, but this is a unique, interesting story filled with lies and betrayal then sprinkle some revenge and deception on top. Set both now and telling the story of thirty years ago you have to figure out who is lying, what they're lying about, and why.

Too Good to Be True is a book to take a chance on, just go for it and read it without anyone's reviews in your head!

Thank you to Carola Lovering, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fact paced and clever psychological thriller.  I definitely suspected out some of the twists early on, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book and there were still some surprises.  The end was a little too corny for me - I would have preferred something a little Lifetime movie.  But overall, it's a great, if unbelievable, escape.   Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the digital ARC.
4 stars

TW: rape

Relationship Status? It's complicated. That goes for some of these characters AND for my thoughts about parts of this book.

There is a great deal I really enjoyed here, particularly in the first half. For me this was a quick read because I wanted to know what was coming next, who was doing what, and how everything would resolve. I never stopped caring about any of those points, and that is a treasure in a thriller/mystery. I also really like the use of the three perspectives. While that seemed like a lot at first, the overall effect is positive.

I understand that at least some of the characters in a thriller are going to be terrible, but there were a lot of those here, and I struggled with their outcomes. On one hand, it's easy to sympathize with most of them at times. On the other, some have quirks that become tedious (initially understandable, later less so). Most importantly, there are aspects of the ending that are so unsatisfying. For me, the biggest challenge is that a particular character's choice to remain silent is portrayed as bordering on heroic or self-sacrificing, but I found the messaging troubling, especially in conjunction with what certain other characters, especially, get away with as a result. There is a specific gendered component to this that left me feeling pretty gross. There is also a character who is referred to by an incomplete name throughout the entire work, and I really was expecting some sort of reveal that never came. Ah, the vagaries of a spoiler-free review!

Overall, this is an entertaining read that I'd recommend to folks who think the description sounds intriguing. I will absolutely read whatever Lovering puts out next!
I could not put this book down What a epic ride. I enjoyed the gripping story and places this book took me. I will be adding this to my favorites.  Well-done.
I came into this book expecting a variation of the typical "thriller" that is so ubiquitous right now and man was I pleasantly surprised. I cared about each character, even though some were pretty hard to love. To me that's the mark of a good read. I figured out one of the "twists" early on but I really enjoyed the story nonetheless and there were still more surprises to come! I really liked Skye and her heart and her tenacity.

4 stars

Thanks to St. Martin's Press for a complementary copy of this novel. All opinions are my own.
This story pulled me in quickly. It is told in 3 POV's - Skye, Burke, and Heather with some of POV's as letters to the therapist. It's hard to go into too much detail without giving much away, but there is a lot of relationship drama interlaced with a little bit of family drama which leads to a few twists. There are reasons to dislike each character, but I think there are more reasons to feel for each of them - the pain, the love, the heartache each has gone through in their life (through flashbacks). Although the endings was a bit drawn out and slow, it definitely kept me reading until the end.
I loved this book! I was immediately hooked and loved the big plot twist! I went into this book totally blind and I think everyone should too. It’s a medium fast paced book and that’s fine with me! It’s really hard to give a review on this book because I don’t want to give anything away! Just read it!!
The plot was quite compelling, drawing me in to the story while maintaining my curiosity. This helped make up for writing which I felt held a certain awkwardness, either in too much cliche or common vernacular.

The reader is given insight to each of the characters through their perspective, and in some pages, through journal pages to a counselor, We learn of Heather and Burke, born into rather dysfunctional families in a poor town named Langs Valley, from which they desperately want to escape. We learn of the extremely wealthy family for whom Heather babysits, and the plan which she derives for their demise when she becomes an adult.

Does it work? When devising evil against someone else, one ought to take into consideration how the plan can effect oneself, as well.
I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review

I was in love with this book until the 85 percent mark. Then the last 15 percent broke my heart. Gut-wrenching.
Good book. I love the story and the writing was great. Can't wait to read more  by the author. Thank you for letting me read this.
When the stars collide the explosion can be seen for miles but only if you look up and acknowledge the  light.
You see folks, this one has that heavy banter between 3 pov's with some feisty old 'revenge' motives but lets not jump to far out into this one because we enjoy the simmer.
The stew is cooking and boy is it ever between this couple Burke and Skye who seemed too good to be true. After all she's got the world by the balls and he's simply enjoying his cake.
I was going to note that I've found the 'damsel in distress' scenario quite loathsome lately but this one added a twist for those who consider themselves = feminist fans.
Burke isn't at cute, warm, cuddly as we thought and in fact his journal tells a different story. He's playing the fiddle -having married before-to Heather.
Oh, and bigamy isn't for everyone at least not for Skye who vows to get to the bottom of this mess.
Did I mention more than one item is being stolen here -right out from underneath the mat- and it's only a matter of time before the wealth is uncovered and the lies come forth and wither upon the vine.
What I failed to mention is you can't steal what didn't belong to you. Or shall I say -when I was married to my malignant narcissist- he told me- it's communal property.
Well, folks sharing is not caring in this sense so stay on high alert and enjoy this magic carpet ride because that ending was a total SHOCKER!
Thank you to Carola Lovering, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.