Cover Image: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1

The Weirn Books, Vol. 1

Cousins Ailis and Na'ya are weirns - witches born with a demon guardian spirit bound to them for life. They go to school and basically live their lives at night. The take a shortcut to school through the Silent Woods, a forest that is creepily quiet with a creepy old mansion to match. Ailis and Na'ya's grandmother attended school at the mansion, but one day the headmistress took all the children, including their grandmother's twin brother, and disappeared. Their grandmother only avoided the same fate by staying home sick. When Na'ya's younger brother is kidnapped and their werewolf friend Russ tracks him to the old mansion, things get weird.
I'll be honest, I didn't know too much about the mythology of weirns. I feel like after reading this novel, I learned more about the lore. I found it fascinating. The illustrations were done beautifully. The astrals were unique, yet connected to each other as well as to their witch. The colors varied between vibrant and dark tones which mirrored the storyline well.

Characters: Admittedly, The teacher in me wasn't too thrilled with the headmistress, but I can see how she makes a pretty creepy villain. She's a perfect villain for middle schoolers. I love that were more supernatural characters mixed into the night school other than weirns. D'esh was my favorite character; he was always helpful, sweet and just fun. When they swung him over puddles, it transported me to times I have done that with kiddos I know.

Themes: friendship conquers all, magic can be stripped away, looks aren't everything, studies and education are crucial to success, always listen to your grandma, avoid abandoned and forbidden houses in the middle of the woods

Recommended for: Scooby Doo fans, mystery fans, graphic novel lovers, lovers of mythology, magic fans, supernatural creatures fans
3 stars.  Wasn't anything amazing.  Feel like it has been done before.  I would read something else from this author but this one wasn't for me.
Such a cute graphic novel! The Weirn Books, Vol. 1 hits some really great themes: magic school with magical kiddos, paranormal is "normal" and amazingly cute illustrations!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this review copy!
This was so cute!  Loved it.  This is a great middle grade graphic novel.
I ask for this graphic novel because I keep hearing about it, I however have had a hard time downloading it . I tried to download it on the Net galley app with no success. I also tried download it on my laptop no success.  I will wait for the the Library to get a copy .
In the Night Realm shifters, vampires, weirns, and all things that pass for human still need to go to school.  This is the story of disappearing children and a group of kids trying to figure out what happened.

The art is adorable.  I love all the magic stuff and the grandma's shop. A few of the speech bubbles were cut off in the digital edition, but that is usually not an issue once the book is brought to print.  I am super excited to see what my students think of this book because they love all of Chmakova's other stories. I think they will be excited to see how this connects to the other Night School books.

Creative Team:
by: Svetlana Chmakova
Colors by Effie Lealand, and Melissa McCommon
Inking: Young Kim, Effie Lealand
Letters: Ju Youn Lee
Published by Ye Press
The Weirn Books, Vol. 1: Be Wary of the Silent Woods is a fun blend of middle-school drama, eerie antics, magic shenanigans, and genuinely creepy vibes that all work really well together, culminating in a book that's perfect for the fall season! The illustrations are solid and pair with the overall spooky air of this graphic novel very nicely- this is a great choice to pickup heading into Autumn/Halloween.
A book about magic schools and magical people. Allis is a weirn—A witch with an astral. She lives in a town with many weirns and goes to a school for weirns. This is a speacial school. It looks like a normal building but magically transforms itself into the magic school in evenings. Things get scary when someone is kidnapped.

The part right before the ending, when the kids try to solve the mystery was kind of predictable and put me off. You could guess what was coming. However, I stilll liked the ending, and it makes me want to read the others in the series.
I love this book!  The art is delightful, and the story is equal parts creepy, sad, exciting, and inspiring.  The characters are fun and I am looking forward to future volumes.  It's an exhilarating and fast read.  Highly recommended for all collections.
What a cute little graphic novel! I love the idea of this world where all of these little paranormal kiddos come out to go to school and play and such at night. The dialogue is a little over the top, but in a good, realistic-depiction-of-hyperactive-children way, complete with silly expressions that I think young readers are going to find delightful. I wouldn't say this graphic novel was anything special for me, but I'm not the target audience here, and I think the actual target audience will love this.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this review copy in exchange for an honest review!
Svetlana Chmakova’s Berrybrook Middle School graphic novel series (Awkward, Crush, and Brave) have been some of the most popular graphic novels in my school library. Her characters and the awkward situations they find themselves in at middle school are really relatable for kids. Svetlana’s latest book, Be Wary of the Silent Woods, is the first in her new series, The Weirn Books, and it’s scarily good.

Ailis and Na’ya live in a small, sleepy town called Laitham. It’s home to humans and human-passing night things – vampires, shapeshifters, mermaids and weirns. Ailis and Na’ya are weirns, witches born with a demon guardian spirit (called an astral) bound to them for life. The girls go to school at night and have classes on things like Astral Training and Alchemistry. Like any school there are bullies and detention, but also crystal caves and fireproof walls. While searching for a book in her grandma’s attic, Ailis uncovers a family secret. A shadow starts looming in the Silent Woods, a classmate starts acting weird and then Na’ya’s little brother D’esh disappears. Ailis and Na’ya realise they must face their fears and confront the secrets of the mansion in the Silent Woods.

Be Wary of the Silent Woods is an action-packed start to this awesome series that delivers frights and fun. It has the humour that I love from the Berrybrook series mixed with this cool supernatural world. Svetlana uses lots of onomatopoeia so there are some great panels that are taken over by sounds, like screaming or rain pouring down. She doesn’t let the panels limit the story either, with action and speech bubbles breaking out of their panels. Svetlana’s colour palette is muted but never dull.

One of my favourite aspects of Svetlana’s books is that her characters are so expressive and this book is no exception. Ailis and Na’ya’s go through lots of different emotions in the story but it’s always clear from their faces how they’re feeling.

Be Wary of the Silent Woods is out now and I’m already looking forward to book 2. Get this for fans of the Berrybrook Middle School trilogy or kids who like a spooky adventure story.
This book was fun and creepy. Kids that are a fan of the author's Berrybrook Middle School series will probably like this dip into fantasy. This story has the same kind of humor.
I was very excited to read this because I am a huge fan of Svetlana Chmakova and her Berrybrook Middle School graphic novel series. This is full of her signature art style (reminiscent of anime), pastel color palette, crushes, rivalries, and friendship. The magic and fantasy world elements combined with Chmakova's illustrations make this perfect for those who love Howl's Moving Castle.
I am trilled that Svetlana Chmakova has returned to the Weirn world - even if it is not a direct sequel to the Nightschool seires.  Her characters have heart, worries, and a lot to learn about themselves, which makes them easy to idenitfy with. I had no trouble suspending my disbelief in this marvelously magical world because of how rich and well developed her environs are. Her magic system makes sense. . . and I want a weirn of my very own.

Ms. Chmakova is brilliant in both art and writing. Middle Grades are not the easiest to write for, but all of her books for that age range have been inspiring and thoughtful. I cannot wait to read the next installment in this series!

Recommended for fans of Svetlana Chmakova's other works, as well as Diana Duane, Diana Wynne Jones, and Raina Telgemeier.
This was a great read.
It reminded me a bit of harry potter, all the kids getting in trouble and going on an adventure.
The characters were simple and easy to follow. The story is exciting and the kids get to have an adventure.
The 'bad guy' is very creepy and acts like noting is weird.
Be Wary of the Silent Woods is the first volume in The Weirn Books series of graphic novels by Svetlana Chmakova. In the Night Realm, shifters, vampires, weirns, and other night things passing for human may prowl the streets, but school is still in session-and you still have to do your homework!

Be Wary of the Silent Woods is a middle grade graphic novel that has a nice blend of 'normal' middle school angst with magic and wonder. Ailis is a weirn (witch born with a guardian spirit, going to Night School with other paranormal children dealing with friendships, crushes, families, and all of the typical concerns of the age group. Her family and group of friends were a nice mix of personalities- and the background and important aspects of them were delivered at a near perfect pace. I liked Ailis and her cousins together, and how the small circle of friends were a team and balanced each other nicely, even if they would not want to admit it. The magic and mystery components were very nicely done, and I liked the creativity of the story along side the elements that most every reader can relate to on some level. I also really enjoyed the art style, and the amount of movement and detail that the art added to every page. I look forward to seeing more of this series, and will be taking a closer look at Chmakova's other work, which looks very interesting as well.

Be Wary of the Silent Woods is a fun start to a new series. I think the series will capture the imagination of middle grade and middle school readers.
Ailis and her family are weirns: witches that have guardian spirits--astrals--bound to them for life. They live in a small town with vampires and werewolves, and a few secrets. One secret involves Ailis' grandmother and her grandmother's twin brother. Experiencing typical tween issues like crushes and mean girls and school, the characters work together to fight an evil being. Chmakova does not disappoint! As usual in her graphic novels, text and illustrations combine to create an adventure middle school students will enjoy! Looking forward to the next volume.
One of my favorite authors does it again.  A great new adventure in the world of the Weirn.  I love the new characters and the new mystery/evil forces they need to fight against.  Still waiting for her to continue the other night school books though.  Hope to get to see some of those characters soon.
I've been a fan of Chmakova's since high school, so it was really nice to read another books of hers.

Be Wary of the Silent Woods was a great read. I really liked the way that the school changed at night and I really liked the way that the astrals each had a personality of their own.

It was just the right amount of creepy and spooky and I am really excited for the next volume.