Cover Image: Group

Group

I loved the beginning of this book. The author does a great job of describing her stressors and maladaptive coping habits - binging on food, escaping into workaholic academic/professional accomplishment, dating guys who are unavailable & dysfunctional. So when she began group therapy, I was eager to see what pearls of wisdom she'd find there and how she'd apply them to her life.

As the chapters went on, I was increasingly weirded out by both the therapist and the dynamics of the group. The requirement that they share EVERYTHING with one another, including names and intimate details about other people was creepy, especially when one of her dates requested his privacy and a group member accused him of hindering her progress. Some of the advice the group gave seemed good, and it was clear that the members cared about each other - they really seemed like best friends. But it also seemed like they could have gathered at a coffee shop and had the same conversation for free. Over time, too many things the therapist said and did made me cringe,

By the end of the book, I was happy for the author, that she experienced the transformation in intimate relationships she was searching for. But I wish she'd closed the loop on the other issues she raised in the beginning, and shared how she dealt with those.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.