Cover Image: In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren

Maelyn Jones isn’t having a Merry Christmas.  She has just realized the guy she THOUGHT she had to have is not the fairy tale she wanted.  She has probably just blown her chance with his brother due to a disastrous romantic encounter.  She is still living with her parents, stuck in a job she hates and has just found out that her favorite getaway is being sold.  She has spent every holiday she can remember with her family and their friends here.  So, she makes a wish that she can discover what exactly will make her happy.  Shortly after the plea, she has a car wreck.  She wakes up and finds she is back on the airplane that will take her to Utah and start this whole Christmas over again.  Will she ever figure out which path makes her happy?

Think “Christmas Vacation” meets “Groundhog Day”.  This was absolutely hysterical.  I found myself literally laughing out loud multiple times.  I love a good cheezy Christmas novel, but this has to be one of my favorites.  I still find it hard to believe that this author is a duo.  The writing style is superb.  Nothing but a five star review from me.  I liked this one so much, I even bought a physical copy of it.

Thanks to Netgalley and Gallery Books for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren was a fun modern Christmas tale. It was the perfect blend of enjoyable for Hallmark folks while also not relying too much on tropes that might drive some folks away from those types of stories. More holiday books from this team are most welcome!
In a Holidaze recreates many memories for me. The holidays are the best time of the year. Add romance and you have a recipe for an excellent romance novel!
This book was awesome!!! I could not put it down! Christina Lauren is an amazing author. Her books never disappoint! Can not wait for the next one!
When Groundhog Day meets Christmas traditions, Maelyn Jones, a flawed heroine searches for answers from the universe--and the universe answers.

Get ready to laugh out loud and get a little teary as Maelyn gets to relive every holiday tradition, song, family joke, and treat over and over again until she can figure out what exactly the universe is trying to teach her about finding joy and that happily ever after.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review.
This one was a slow burn for me and that surprise me in the manner of which I wasn’t expecting. I love holiday books are read them all around the year and this one was no different.
This story was interesting and wasn't exactly my cup of tea. The uniqueness of the plot of having to repeat the same day over and over again was refreshing from the typical romances out there, but it didn't quite work for me. I would still recommend the book though because I'm sure others will enjoy it more than I did.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Sadly, In a Holidaze didn't wow me like other Christina Lauren books I've enjoyed in the past (The Unhoneymooners, Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating, Autoboyography). I think it was supposed to be a warm and fuzzy romance, but it was very light on both. Romance-lite? Diet Romance? The story and characters were mostly meh (think Roomies and The Honey-Don't List). I believe this book would have benefitted from a duel POV, but we only get Mae's perspective. When she finally admits her feelings for Andrew, he just seems to go with it. There wasn't any tension or buildup to their relationship. It was kind of like she said, "Hey, I really like you," and he said, "Cool." 😴💤

Uncle Benny was easily my favorite character and I wish he'd been given more page time. (Obviously, we need a Benny spinoff now.) I liked his hippy vibe. The weird love-triangle-that-wasn't-really-a-love-triangle was unnecessary and really should've been left out. Mae ends up admitting to something that didn't actually happen in her current timeline (don't you just love time loops?), which starts a conflict with Andrew that didn't need to happen. It was also a really weird thing for them to "fight" about, to be honest. It happened, but it also didn't happen. I think this is why I dislike books that mess with time without fully explaining how everything works. You can't just scream at the cosmos every few pages looking for answers. WE need the information, too. After a while, everything just started to feel repetitive (her days AND her relationship with Andrew). What exactly was Mae supposed to be doing? Finding her happiness? It was very vague, and some of her resets didn't really make sense. Why couldn't she be happy in any of the other versions of her life?

We're also told from the start (by Mae) how much she loves Andrew. She has always loved Andrew, but I never actually saw their connection. I wish we'd seen more affection (and not the brotherly kind) between the two of them instead of simply being told over and over again that it was there. They only saw each other once or twice a year, so when did she have time to fall deeply and madly in love with him? Why was his affection immediately returned without anything really leading up to it? It was a little corny and a lot unbelievable. I also hated that she avoided Andrew's brother (can't even remember his name) instead of smoothing out the weirdness that only she was aware of. He felt avoided and didn't know why, and then she dismissed his feelings without a second thought (remember the love-triangle-that-wasn't-really-a-love-triangle?).

Additionally, there were a lot of secondary - very flat, one-dimensional - characters, which made it hard to keep up with who was who at the start (so many family members and their many children). Overall, In a Holidaze was a quick read that wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't memorable. (★★★☆☆)

*will add Amazon link once it's live
Gosh, I just love this author, and this book didn't disappoint!  Tight story, good dialogue, funny...everything I've loved about CL books in the past.
Started but have not finished at this time, do not plan to resume reading at this time but hopefully will finish in the future - had a hard time getting hooked into the story. Hoping to try again from the beginning soon - I have loved many of CLos books!!
With a huge following these authors know how to tell a story their readers will devour! This one with holiday flair. I am not a real fan of Christmas, have personally been shocked at how many books get Christmas into them, but who doesn't want to a chance for a do-over. Romantics will enjoy this little magic story. I have enjoyed sharing about it to my customers at the library.
Thanks NetGalley for a free review copy.
This was an adorable Holiday story reminiscent of Groundhog Day.  On the way to the airport from a trip to the cabin where Mae and her family and family friends spend every Christmas, the car crashes but instead of waking up in a hospital, Mae wakes up on the first day of the cabin trip. She goes through each day or most of each day only to wake up at the same time the next day, She needs to figure out what to do - what changes to make - to get out of the endless loop. Loaded with tons of likeable characters this book is a must read.
What a delight! Perfect contemporary romance for holiday seasons; highly recommend for fans of Christina Laurens and those new to their work!
A perfect holiday romance in which the girl gets the opportunity of a lifetime and a boy gets the girl. Loved the fun, the flirting, the  personal growth!
I really enjoyed this fun romance. I loved the cabin setting and the romance between our main character and her long time crush. The only thing I had issue with was the Groundhog Day theme. I usually find repetitive events extremely aggravating in a book and it was no different this time. I think the authors did a good job in transitioning a new event each time our main character went back in time to the same day.
Absolutely one of my favorites. Unbelievable how good and adorable this book was. Perfect for the season and a great gift!
Rating: 2 Stars!

I've been putting of this review for so long just because I'm not sure how to put my feelings together. This story was ok at best.
Usually, I would give books like this a 3-star rating but I had to go with 2 just because I was extra disappointed in it. There was nothing special about it. The characters were meh, the plotline was confusing, and what even was the point?

I think this was my sign to stop reading Christina Lauren. Their writing has changed so much in the last few years and while I'm sure many people love their writing now, it's all very hallmark to me now and I think I'll just pass.
Are you kidding? I missed this title- I had downloaded but the pandemic seems to have stopped everything. What a great read! What I love about Christina Lauren books is the humor through dialogue, the sweetness, the characters that seem to come to life in just seconds. Romantic escapism, no matter what my age ( and I am much, MUCH older than the protagonists and probably their parents) is a deeply satisfying, uplifting way to see the magic of life. I loved Mandrew and Maisie and the cast of characters were all so much fun. A little time travel made my heart swell too. This is one I will recommend to all and re read every holiday season ! All I can say is... yay! This is how I like my romances!
This Groundhog's Day styled book is incredibly charming and fun. When Maelyn starts to relive the same day, we go along with her as she tries to figure out her new path.
This romance novel based around Christmas time is sure to make you wish you were in the mountains curled up next to a fire alongside these characters! Stuck in a time loop, puts this main character at the top of the relatable list! Will she ever get the timing and sequence just right to end up with the guy she’s destined to be with?