Cover Image: The Berlin Girl

The Berlin Girl

Georgie Young, a British journalist was sent to Berlin as a foreign correspondent. There is another POV which is from Rubin, a jewish who live in Berlin and then he became her driver.

Georgie witnesses the way people treat Jewish people. It's freaking mean and heartless. She can't do anything to help them.

Max, another journalist is kinda annoying duh I mean the way he treat Georgie make him unlikeable except for the last few chapters hahaaa

Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for The Berlin Girl ARC!
I was given a copy of The Berlin Girl by Mandy Robertson by the publisher in exchange for a honest review.  The book is set in Berlin in 1938 a year before the war begins, Georgia is a journalist sent to report on the news.. The book explains what happened in the lead up to the war, the way Jews were treated and what the Nazis did. I must read if you enjoy books about the war.
Loved"The German Midwife" and enjoyed "The Secret Messenger," so I was excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it. I didn't find the story very interesting and it seemed to drag on without anything really happening. It wasn't until I was 70% through the book when things picked up and then the story is over. I didn't love the characters. For Georgie being such a smart woman, she was pretty clueless about Kasper or she chose to ignore the Nazi part. She hated Hitler and everything that was happening in Germany, but kept going out with him. With her last few dates with him, Georgie is lucky nothing happened to her. Would have loved to learn more about Margot, Frida and Simone. Simone pretty much disappeared from the story and no one questioned it or were worried. Not sure about Max and Georgie's relationship at the end, especially when they are hiding in the back of the truck. Throughout most of the book they don't get along.

Give the book a try, it just wasn't for me. Look forward to reading more books by the author because I did enjoy her previous books.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Avon Books UK through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
It started a little slow for me, but I am glad I kept going.  I am a lover of WW II books, and this did not disappoint.  Different than most of the common plot lines, Mandy Robotham is really a great storyteller.  After you finish this, be sure to pick up The German Midwife!
Historical fiction at its best!

It is a real departure from the WW2 books I read before as it is set in Berlin prior to the war being declared and that alone makes it stand out.

In this novel, we follow Georgie Young, a British reporter who travels to Berlin as the war is looming to give an account of what is happening on the ground.

It's actually hard to review without revealing anything so all I'll say is that's it's an excellent novel which is also full of tenderness, love and selflessness. I really loved Georgie and the friends she made along the way, they really made it all more bearable.

Without spoiling, I also found the epilogue to be very smartly done, you'll have to read it to find out!!

Heather Morris fans, I think you would love this book💓

Thank you to @Netgalley and @avon_books for this e-book in return for my honest review.
A must read for anyone in love with world war 2 novels! Very heartbreaking but it kept me on my toes.
The Berlin Girl by Mandy Robotham is a historical fiction novel during Hitler's rise to power. Georgie, is sent to Berlin with Max to help cover the war. She is meant to help and to let people back home in London know what it is like in Berlin. Georgie spends a lot of time frustrated because no one back in London is taking Hitler seriously. Mandy Robotham tells a wonderful historical fiction novel that is based in fact. I did struggle with this book though. For me it moved slow for the first half, though it did pick.up in the last half. Thank you to Netgalley, Avon and Mandy Robotham for the eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I loved The Berlin Girl.  The book is set in Germany, just before the onset of World War 2.  Georgie Young is a female reporter, hoping to make a name for herself.  She has been sent to Germany on assignment, and soon finds herself ensconced  in the community, trying her best to do what's right in her position.

There is intrigue, suspense, and romance, but also loss and heartache.    The author did a great job of making you feel as though you were there with the characters, hoping that good things would come for them.

I would recommend this book, particularly if you are interested in that period of history. It is a different perspective than you often hear, and worth a read.

Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.  All opinions are my own.
After reading The German Midwife, I was super keen to read the The Berlin Girl and it certain didn’t disappoint.

I really enjoy Mandy Robotham’s writing style, she certainly has a knack of drawing you in to the story. I felt it was well researched and

She writes wonderful relatable characters which you become quite invested in.

Thank you to Netgalley, Mandy Robotham and Avon Books UK for giving me the chance to read and review this book as it was a wonderful read and one I will definitely recommend to lovers of Historical Fiction.
‘It was the beginning of war - and me, in so many ways. Part of me, I think, will always be that Berlin girl.’

Mandy Robotham is quickly becoming a ‘go to’ author for me as you are always guaranteed a great read. The interesting aspect of this novel is that it is pre World War II and takes place over a year from summer 1938 until the declaration of war. It is fascinating to be on the streets of Berlin as tensions begin to rise.

‘... it was vital that someone should record this abuse against humanity – pictures, in this case, might be more valuable than words. So far, reports alone had not been enough to provoke any reaction from outside Germany to what Hitler was creating. Maybe the world needed to see it in stark black and white, staring at this debacle over their breakfast?’

The story centres around Georgie Young, a young British journalist sent to Berlin as a foreign correspondent. Being a Londoner, Georgie’s view of events are insightful as she witnesses the ruthless control as the Nazis assume a stranglehold on the city. Once again, Mandy has done her research and it is fascinating to be a witness to how things begin to change in a city that Georgie feels drawn to and feels such affinity with.

It starts off a little slow, as there are a range of characters to establish. At tims the plot could be stronger, overall however, the smaller everyday events compensate for this. By the end, the pace really picks up and as the action reaches a crescendo, it is hard to put down. It was encouraging to have a strong female lead in, what was then, a male stronghold - she could hold it ‘with the boys’ who came from a range of newspaper affiliations. I also very much appreciated the detailed epilogue that gives a brief window into what happened to many of the characters throughout the years to follow. Something not often given and provides nice closure.

‘More than ever, she’d felt herself come of age in just one night; there was no pretence at being a fledgling reporter now. This was serious. And she had little choice but to rise to the challenge.’

There is some romance but it runs secondary to the overall theme. There is also Rubin, Georgie’s Jewish driver, who provides the first person POV for the domestic viewpoint and what it was like in the last days as many tried to escape persecution and incarceration. The ending is a little predictable but the epilogue, as mentioned, more than compensates for that.

Despite not being a five star read as I have found Mandy’s other books to be, this is still really solid reading for historical fiction fans, particularly WWII diehards. The attraction here is to be a part of the Berlin living just months before war was actually declared and seen through the eyes of a young person not affiliated or under the Nazi spell.

‘Why wasn’t the rest of the world truly afraid? Did everyone have to live directly under Hitler’s tyranny to realise his vile capabilities?’
This book is set in the late 1930's, Berlin, just as Hitler is coming into power.  Georgina aka Georgie is a journalist.  Georgie and other journalists from around the world are reporting what they are witnessing, however, their pieces are not actually being printed.

This was a bit of a slow starter for me, but once the story got going it was great.  I found myself holding my breath as Georgie navigates the city with her Jewish driver, Rubin.  I enjoyed and appreciated the friendship between Georgie and Max a fellow journalist.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Avon for this advanced readers copy.  This book released October, 2020.
Thank you NetGalley and AVON/HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. for a copy of "The Berlin Girl" in exchange for my honest opinion.

Ms. Robotham has written another fantastic book that I thoroughly enjoyed. The book starts out in Berlin on 23rd July 1938. The main character is Georgina Young, though everyone calls her Georgie and she writes under the name of George Young. She's a reporter for the Chronicle. She meets fellow reporter Max Spender who works for the Telegraph. At first he tends to go along with the belief that women are not capable of being serious reporters, that they should be writing for the fashion or society pages instead. However as time goes on they grow in respect and friendship.

The story is also told from the viewpoint of Rubin Amsel. A former journalist himself but he has been doing whatever he can to bring in some money - driving, interpreting, delivering groceries - his only crime is that he was born a Jew. Georgie puts him on retainer for the Chronicle as a driver but when a decree comes about saying that Jews are not allowed to drive - she finds other things that he can do for her.

Max believes at first that it is not their job to change the opinions of the world, just to report what they see. What they see is that life in Germany is changing and no one believes it.

Georgie shares a flat with Frida Borken and Simone Doucette. Both are lovely but are they really who they portray themselves to be? Max and Georgie do all they can to help Rubin and Sara Amsel at great personal costs. They also befriend an actress named Margot Moller who is searching for Paul Adamson who Georgie was supposed to report to but rarely saw and then he disappeared altogether.

Georgie is taken to Sachsenhausen camp, though at the time is isn't aware of where she had been taken in the dark by Kasper Vortsch. The more Max and Georgie learn the more want to get the truth out to the readers of their respective papers. Sam Blundon at the British Embassy becomes a close friend and ally to the writers and he saves them on several occasions, especially as it seems they are very close to having war break out.

The story comes to a dramatic conclusion as all the characters are either working to get out of the country or to cause trouble. The last few chapters deal with the aftermath of the war and details on what happened to each character.

This book was beautifully written and conveyed the importance of being free to write what you want, wherever and whenever you want to.
Georgie Young, a young journalist, is posted to Berlin in September 1938. This is her first break as a journalist and she is determined to make the most of it. Author Mandy Robotham created a story that shows what it would have been like to be in Berlin during the year before WW II. Through Georgie’s eyes as she navigates the world of journalists we see the terror build for her driver, a Jewish man, Rubin, and his wife, Sara. Georgie and a connection she has in the British embassy work to send Rubin’s and Sara’s children in one of the first children’s transports to England. I especially liked this story line. I felt the author did a great job showing the danger for the correspondent’s. The book made me nervous at times for some of the characters. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I also felt fear for them at times. This is what a good book does. I also appreciated the Epilogue as the reader is gratified to find out what happened to the many characters during and after the war. My thanks to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for this ARC. The opinions in this review are my own.
Berlin, in the summer of 1938, is on the brink of war.  London reporters Georgie Young an d Max Spender are there, reporting on the things that are happening all around them.  However, the more they see, the more disillusioned they become by the Nazi party and they make it their personal mission to help as many people as they can while they are still allowed to be in the country.
This book was both fascinating and sad,  the way the Jews, elderly and people with disabilities were treated.  It gave  lot of insight into the nightlife of Berlin which I didn't know before now, and found really interesting.  This is a captivating read that anyone who has an interest in historical fiction will thoroughly enjoy.
The Berlin Girl is a historical fiction which takes place in prewar Germany. The follows the journey of English journalist Georgie Young who is sent on assignment to Berlin a year before the start of WWII. I found the book to beautifully written and I found all of the characters to be interesting (even Kasper Vortsch). My favourite character is Georgie because she was a strong kick ass female working in a world that was dominated by men. She put her own life in danger in order to help her Jewish friends escape from Berlin. I found Kasper to be very intriguing and I was very fond of him although like Georgie said the only downfall was the fact that he was a SS officer.

The second half of the book was the best part and I really enjoyed how it ended.
I also loved the twists, turns and mystery that was featured in the second half. This is the first book that I have read by Mandy Robotham and I would definitely be interested in reading more of her books.

I recieved an advanced copy for free, and this is my honest opinion.
A nice steady paced story with little spurts of interest along the way. I couldn't help myself to read faster when the adrenaline kicked in due to the action on a couple of occasions. I particularly enjoyed the epilogue newspaper reports. A very clever way on giving you a run down of events of the characters lives after the war. Genius!

Out of the 3 Mandy Robotham books that I've read, my favourite is still Woman of War (German Midwife). I still think of that book today

Keep up the good work Mandy!!
Georgie "George" Young arrives in Berlin at the same time as Max Spender.  Georgie is familiar with Germany, but now, things have certainly changed.  This story follows her living in a Germany under Hitler's thumb and leading up to the start of World War II.  There's murder, spying, decadence, and heartbreak.  Georgie's story is intertwined with that of Max who finds himself in SS sights, the Amsel's: a Jewish family trying to survive and stay together while the German plan is to separate them... and worse.  I enjoyed this read, but I felt like by the end, things were a little rushed and wrapped up too quickly after all the suspense.  But, this definitely satiated my historical fiction craving!

Thank you to the Author, Publisher and NetGalley for this ARC! I'm definitely going to read more of Mandy's work in the future!
The Berlin Girl was engaging from page 1. Beautifully written and impeccably researched, I was captivated as we followed Georgie’s journey to Berlin, as she blossomed from a young reporter in a glamourous city, to a hardened and daring journalist in a developing war zone. She engaged with the locals and colleagues at her newspaper bureau, learning first hand of the plight of the Jewish community and developing life-long friendships as she endeavoured to use her position and contacts to assist the Jewish family she grew so fond of. More than once I found myself holding my breath, dreading that something would befall her as time and again she took risks, mingling with German officers and hoping to glean information to assist her downtrodden Jewish friends. Her daring as she tries to help her Jewish friends gain release from Sachsenhausen, one of many concentration camps, brought to life the plight suffered by so many at this awful time. I loved this book, cannot recommend it highly enough.
This was a book that I struggled to get in to. It was one of those reads where I was constantly interrupted and this definitely did not help me with my concentration. However, once I was settled into the narrative, I found it really interesting and enjoyable.

Despite having read several books set in the Second World War, this is the first book I have read that is set in Berlin, in the eighteen months before war begins. This was an usual twist for me because it is so unique from my other readings. It certainly made it more interesting and reinforced my interest in the period.

The horrors that take place as a result of Nazi Germany are well-documented. This setting added a fresher perspective and a new slant to stories I have read. Meeting Georgie, a female journalist who has constantly been put down as a result of her gender, I felt admiration towards her struggle and also pride because she was sent out to Berlin as a foreign correspondent.

Landing in Berlin with another correspondent, Max, the two journalists soon establish themselves with other global reporters. Over the course of the story, the tension subtly increases as Hitler’s plans become more evident. I loved how Robotham gradually shifted the pressure in the book and the symbolism of the red flags became more dominant as the start of the war draws closer.

It was difficult not to read this without a sense of dread. Hindsight and knowing more than Georgie played a significant role in this. Her relationship with a German officer was particularly uncomfortable for me, particularly as the danger towards Georgie increased. The risks that she undertakes for a story and also to protect her friends really demonstrated her strength and represented the challenges that women and journalists of that time had faced.

The writer not only details Georgie’s challenges, but also from the Jewish perspective, enlightening readers of their restrictions and fears. I found this added another depth to the narrative and increased the tension that runs through the pages. On the other hand, I would liked to have seen more detail on Georgie’s French flatmates, especially as so much is implied about their identities. It was refreshing that the story was not dominated by romance and a love interest, because it forced me to focus on the significant political changes that were occurring in Berlin.

This was a really interesting book and very different to stories I have read recently. I think this is a novel I am going to have to re-visit to get a true appreciation of Robotham’s narrative. However, because this is based on fact makes the story more poignant and the danger more palpable.

With thanks to Avon books and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I am in the minority on this one.  The Berlin Girl by Mandy Robotham  was just not for me. I did finish it by skimming through, but now that I am done I wish I would have given up. For me it did not get better and there are too many books I am looking forward to reading  on my to be read list.

The Berlin Girl takes place pre WWll  in Berlin. The story is more about the relationship and camaraderie between war correspondents  from different countries and different newspapers than it is about anything else. There was nothing in the story that I hadn’t read about in other WWll books. There really wasn’t any real plot that kept me wanting to forge ahead.

The two main characters,  Georgie,The Berlin Girl and Max, try and save a Jewish family from being taken by the Nazis. I don’t feel like the Jewish family was developed enough. All the sudden their children were being sent to London on The Kindersport and I didn’t even know they had children. The end was a little Bonnie and Clyde like and too far fetched for me.

There was so much missing in this book for me. Being that I am in the minority if the description sounds good to you give it a try. If your thirty percent in and you aren’t enjoying it, STOP and move on to the next book on your list.

Thank you NetGalkey and Avon Books for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.