Cover Image: The Doctor and the Midwife

The Doctor and the Midwife

This book was super good. It was super original and I flew through it. It didn't feel like anything I've read in the past. Can't wait to read more from the author!! This book was unputdownable.
The Doctor and the Midwife by Sarah Alva

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
______________________________________________________________________
Story Notes

Sarah Alva brings readers an interesting and entertaining read about a clash of wills between a resident doctor and an home birth midwife that leads to sparking conversations and unexpected love.

Ms Alva is a new -to-me author but I'm excited to see what else she will write. Having studied Biology in college, as well as taken the MCAT test, there was much that I loved reading about in the pages of this book. While I didn't go to medical school, I could understand Ammon's anxiety over his calling and his desire to serve others well. I can also appreciate Audrey's stance of offering women a home birth if they choose. Babies were born at home for thousands of years and if everything is normal, the patient should decide for themselves. I loved the almost instantaneous clash between Ammon and Audrey and the snappy conversations they had. I laughed at the snarkiness and was pleased to see that it didn't detract from the attraction sparking between them. The online relationship between them, though unknown, added another element to their interactions and I liked that it made them try to work together. The advice they gave each other, more welcome from a "stranger", was sound and worked to improve their treatment of each other. The revelation of who they really are was very well done and I liked how it all played out. And the faith journey that each of them took in the pages was nicely done and natural to the characters. The ending of the story was perfect as it tied up loose ends but left a few small things open for a possible future book. I will certainly be recommending this story to others in the hope they will enjoy it as I did.

I received this temporary complimentary E-book from Covenant Communications via NetGalley in order to provide a fair and honest review. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
This Story was really cute and clean but I did not finish it. This book had tropes I wasn't  a big fan. I still would recommend it if you like fast short reads. This is also available on audiobook if that is something you like.
I was really excited for this one but sadly couldn't finish it, but that is ok not all books will work for you.
Thank You so much netgalley for a copy.
Sarah Alva's a new author to me but the book blurb sounded interesting. You'd think a doctor and a midwife would get along pretty well, but not when the doctor makes his dislike and mistrust of midwives known at their first meeting! Ammon really put both feet in it when he basically said Audrey was an unsafe provider and provided inadequate care. When he finds out that Audrey is a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM), far from an unsafe provider, he has to eat his words and apologize.

Audrey and Ammon are both rock climbers and connect through a rock climbing board, but neither knows the other's real name, and although they frequently bump heads a lot in real life, they get along quite well conversing through the board. I kept waiting for them to figure out who the other was.

I liked that Audrey not only improved her relationship with Ammon, but also her mother. I enjoyed watching both characters learn their first impressions of each other were wrong. I liked that the story wasn't just about their professions, although it was a big part of it. We get to see them with their friends.

I received a complimentary copy from Covenant Communications via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
This was an enjoyable, quick read. It brought back a lot of memories of my experience with my first child’s birth. I kinda wish I had known some of this stuff then, because it might have gone better! Anyway, it was interesting reading about the differences between Ammon and Audrey, and how much they clashed because of those differences.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I didn’t want to put it down, and all of the characters had depth. I’d love to see a story featuring Ellie and Freddie in the future.
I absolutely give this book 5 stars! It’s got a very Shop Around The Corner or You’ve Got Mail feel. I love the banter and humor between the characters. I found myself chuckling out loud all throughout the book. Several times my husband asked me what are you smiling about or what’s so funny? I felt a little sad when the book came to an end because I enjoyed the people in the book and the story line so much. If you like contemporary fiction you definitely should pick this one up!
The Little Hospital Around the Corner!

I loved this modern adaptation of "The Shop Around the Corner"! I wasn't quite sure what to expect even with the description. Audrey (whose last name is even Novak like Klara's!) & Ammon are kind in the same field of work, so to speak, but not amicably after Ammon offends Audrey. And then Audrey offends Ammon. And they just can't seem to help themselves. They were so at odds with each other that it was difficult to see how they could ever end up together!

But kudos to the author for keeping them from becoming unlikable even while they were being so annoying to each other. Happily, they each have an online friend they can vent to & share advice with, lol.

The development of their relationship from enemies to friends to more is believable, and the pacing of the story was perfect - I picked the book up, was drawn in right away, & didn't put it down till I was finished - - with a very happy smile on my face that lasted the rest of my day! A very enjoyable read!

*Romance level: sweet kisses, nothing graphic

*Religion: LDS (Mormon), but only as background, nothing preachy
A Certified Nurse Midwife, Audrey Novak, believes in putting the choices of her patients first and started her own home birth practice to provide what she believes to be the best care. Her attractive new neighbour also turns out to be Dr. Ammon Parker, an obstetrics resident who believes only in modern medicine. The two go head to head over their differences of opinions a number of times at church, at the hospital, while patients are in labour. And while words fly, so do sparks. Unbeknownst to either of them, as avid rock climbers, they are chatting on a rock climbing forum, and potentially falling for each other online. But can they stop fighting long enough to figure it out?

An entertaining, wholesome, clean romance novel. It is at times funny, moving, and exciting, while also informative about the differences in these two forms of medicine, how they can coexist and actually work together, and about the birth experience in general. Through the online interactions, we are privy to kindness beyond first impressions and how to work with difficult people. Filled with dramatic irony, as we get to know what's going on before the characters do. Overall well written and interesting. Would recommend for someone looking for a clean romance novel.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are all my own.
Audrey is a home birth midwife, Ammon is an obstetrics resident.  You can guess just from that there will be plenty of sparks between these two, and you’d be right!

Get ready for a great friends to frenemies to HEA novel.  Plenty of ups and downs, mistakes on both sides, and add in an internet flirt that only increases the tension.  I enjoyed this book and would read another by the author.  There’s a bit of a religious theme, but not overwhelming or off putting to me.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book, but my opinions are my own.
This is an enjoyable book about two very opinionated people that rub each other wrong from the very beginning. The topic of home birth vs hospital birth was interesting. I liked that the author made a point of being proactive in decisions about the birth of your baby. I liked that both Audrey and Ammon were dedicated to taking care of their patients.  Their faith in God was encouraging. The outcome was predictable but I enjoyed the process of getting there. Recommended!
I really enjoyed this contemporary story. I would describe it as a modern version of You’ve Got Mail. Super cute, fun, and a great HEA!

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.
Witty Banter, Hidden Social Media Identities, and Frenemies turned Lovers

THIS IS A MUST READ! If you have ever read contemporary proper romance and enjoyed it then this book is just for you. Audrey Novak (a registered CNM) and Dr. Ammon Parker (OBGYN) are both young and new to their fields of medicine. They have different views on care for patients, and so of course they start a relationship off of misrepresenting who they truly are. At the same time, they accidentally meet online through a rock climbing social media app, and you can only guess where this leads. (You’ve Got Mail vibes were strong but in a different way)

I personally loved seeing the story from the dual point of view, and to see the transformation of the characters was just beautiful!!! Truly the number of times that both of them change their opinions based on the actions of the other is so adorable! I love the change that Audrey goes through to not sabotage her happiness, and Ammon changes from prideful and egotistical physician to a respectful and loving human. It is truly a must read!

A special thank you to Covenant Communications and Sarah Alva for the digital ARC provided by Netgalley. All opinions are my own and in no way biased.
I wasn’t so sure I would like this book when I started reading. Audrey and Ammon are both a little hard to like. I am so glad I continued because as I got to know the characters better I was pulled into the story and could not get enough. I highly recommend this book!
The Doctor and the Midwife
by Sarah Alva
Back of the Book: “As a midwife running her own home birth practice, Audrey Novak deals with pressure like a superhuman. Until, that is, she meets her handsome and arrogant neighbor, Dr. Ammon Parker. Ammon, who believes only in modern medicine, is just as unprepared for the infuriating---and inconveniently beautiful---midwife. When the two are repeatedly called to the same labor and delivery unit, their clashing ideals and fiercely independent personalities threaten to derail both their professional goals and their pride.
Outside of work, Audrey is a passionate rock climber, tantalized by a secret route she's heard about in an online forum. Her hunt for the climb's location leads her to the intriguing Belaying on of Hands, a man who claims to have set the route. Soon their anonymous virtual flirtation and witty exchanges deepen into a true connection. But when Audrey discovers the man from online is actually Ammon, she's blindsided. It seems they have more in common than she could have imagined, but will their differences keep them from making the climb to true love together?”
Impressions: This was a charming and clean romance with lessons on OB and Midwifery woven through.
Liked: I enjoyed this romance and thought that the ideas of first impressions and struggle with in-person communication to be relatable. I find myself better spoken at times typed out rather than spoken. I find myself thinking through my thoughts and words more when I am relaxed at the computer rather than on the spot with another person. That being said I can only imagine the impressions I’ve made throughout my life with the dumb things that have rolled right out of my mouth. I am thankful for second chances and the delete button😊
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review shared here.
A very well written and entertaining romance.  I enjoyed the plot and the character dynamics.  A good clean read.  My thanks to the publisher for my advance ebook.  This is my unbiased review.
Audrey Novak is a driven young woman. With her own midwifery practice and years of experience of helping women have the best experience possible while giving birth, Audrey knows what it means to be a patient's advocate.

Dr. Ammon Parker is a second-year resident who struggles with knowing whether or not he picked the correct profession.

When Audrey and Ammon meet, sparks fly. With Ammon insulting her profession and belief in midwifery, Audrey is determined to avoid him and to continue to be an advocate for pregnant women.

A fun romance filled with witty conversations, great character development, and plenty to laugh and smile about, The Doctor and the Midwife is a story you won't want to miss.
Obstetrician/Gynecologist Dr. Ammon Parker has a low opinion of midwifery when he meets his neighbor Audrey Novak. Certified midwife Audrey is a fiery and independent personality who is not sure it is worth the bother to set Ammon straight about his misconceptions. A love for rock climbing brings these neighbors together anonymously in a charming story with a plot worthy of The Shop Around the Corner/You've Got Mail for a modern audience of  social app users.
The Doctor and the Midwife is such a good story. The two main characters are so much alike they clash. Watching them go from disposing each other to respect was a beautiful development. I loved this book.
A sweet, charming and romantic story with You've Got Mail vibes.
   I liked the story
This was such a cute contemporary romance! The dialogue was witty and the characters were relatable. I really enjoy this author's writing style and the way she draws you into the story.