Cover Image: Big Nate: The Gerbil Ate My Homework

Big Nate: The Gerbil Ate My Homework

I don't think it's possible to not like this adorable comic series. Nate is the unluckiest, luckiest little guy. He puts himself into the most hilariously terrible situations, and always manages to get away with them.
Prose (Story): Yet another entry in the New York Times bestselling series of comic collections featuring the hilarious, self-absorbed and wholly subversive middle schooler, Big Nate: The Gerbil Ate My Homework focuses on a new year in middle school for the little ... tyke.

Don's (Review): I don't know how many of these I've read now (Big Nate has been featured in comics for something like thirty years, so we're talking a lot), but as much as I very rarely have had a single negative thing to say about any Big Nate collection, somehow this one is even better than most; focusing on a new year in middle school during which (among other things) Nate breaks up with his girl, tries to pin his lack of homework skills on the hapless class gerbil, Sherman, and even turns his plump little friend and classmate Chad into a superhero by directing his first film, I laughed out loud even more at this school-focused collection that shows off Peirce's narcissistic little middle-schooler at his best. Or is it his worst? Either way, bring on some more of Big Nate - always.  4.5/5 stars

NOTE: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
It was the first time I read a book from this series and I honestly don't seem to be the right target audience for it. Some books for young audiences can be very relevant also for adults, but I didn't feel that this is one of them. I can see this being a light and entertaining read for a small child who is just getting used to reading.
This is another great installment in the Big Nate series. My son has read every single Big Nate book and said that this one was his favorite. These books are full of great humor for kiddos. He seriously laughed out loud for so much of this book. He made me put a hold on it at the library so that when it comes out in person he is able to read it again.
Well this was fun!! Kids and adults alike will enjoy this new foray into Big Nate's world of school, home and summer vacation. I had never read one of the graphic novels [but have loved the comics in the newspaper], in fact, didn't even know they existed in book form until my eleven year old niece told me [because she loves them and will absolutely love this], so this is fun to  know about as they are a fun escape from the craziness that is in the world today.  I would recommend these books to anyone who loves the comics from the "funny pages" and is looking for a fun escape from daily life.

Thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
It's hard to dislike a character as witty and full of lighthearted self-aggrandizement as Nate and a strip as full of fun and smart supporting cast members.  That said, it's been years since I've read Big Nate, and not much of anything has changed in that time; Nate has been a middle schooler since 1991 (and will be forever?). The realities of the newspaper strip, where  characters and joke tropes stay essentially the same forever make the exceptions (Gasoline Alley and Doonesbury for starters) notable.   This collection of strips are fun, but, like late stage Peanuts, the fun is tempered by knowing you've seen it all before.
More fun stories from Big Nate. He breaks up with his seventh grade girlfriend in order to spend more time with his friends. And even though he's still in school, at least his favorite teacher is back. We get to see Nate make a film with Gina and Chad and there is more time spent with Dee Dee (who I am really enjoying as a character and am glad to see more of.)

Four stars
This book comes out September 1st
ARC kindly provided by Andrew McMeel Publishing and NetGalley
Also downloaded from library
Opinions are my own
This is one of my favorite big nate books so far. I love all of the books in the Big Nate series, they are fun to read and great for long car rides or times when you have to wait for anything to happen.
This one had me laughing quite a bit.
This is the best Big Nate book in the series!  I thought it was really funny!  I couldn't believe how many Twitter followers the principal's had!  This was a fun read and a great addition to an already fantastic series.
Nate has a lot of problems. He is dating an older girl and feels conflicted. And then their is is nemesis, Mrs. Godfrey! She definitely is not buying the accident story about homework and the classroom gerbil. And can you imagine Chad as a movie star? So if you want to find out what really happened, just pick up The Gerbil Ate My Homework and find out!

Thanks Netgalley for the opportunity to enjoy this title!
My 7 year old son LOVED this book. We read it together. He said our library should definitely buy it and that it's better than all the rest of the Big Nate books. "It's always just so funny," he told me. I'm concerned about the use of the word lame throughout the book. It is ableist language, so my son and I discussed it.
I have read most of the Big Nate books, and it is fun and relaxing to read them. It is a super funny book for young readers and it includes cartoony drawings.
Another winner! My son read this book in one sitting, he enjoyed it tremendously. The only problem is that he gets through it too quickly and it seems like forever for the next release.  I'm a huge advocate for inspiring children to read, especially boys since they seem to be the hardest group to inspire to be avid readers.  A great graphic comic for young and old. And you can't beat the sounds of giggles from your kiddo while reading a book he doesn't want to put down.

Thank you Netgalley and  Andrews McMeel Publishing for the advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An entertaining read that reminds me a little bit of Peanuts, definitely fitting for the target audience of Middle Schoolers; and I wouldn't mind picking up another one of these in the future.
This was really fun and a silly read. I really enjoyed it. I liked the different types of stories and the comic style.
I received a digital copy of this book from netgalley for an honest review.

I read this to my 8 year old and she liked the story but she didn't love it.

I on the other hand thought it was funny and cute.

There were a couple things in the book that seem a little too old for her to understand. For example Twitter was mentioned and she has no idea what that is.
Awesome, classic Big Nate book! I loved the storyline and humor, it had me laughing out loud! Would recommend for grades 4-8.
This was another great collection of comics by Lincoln Pierce. Big Nate is always entertaining and loved by all ages
A funny and ornery Nate in the life of a 6th grader. A comical layout that is comical in contend. A short spiel on the actual gerbil and I was beginning to wonder if there was gerbil. But forget about the gerbil, I forgot what drama there is in 6th grade. You have your favorite teachers and then you have those that know your number. You have the boy that seems to have it all and then you have Nate.

Nate is prankster so if you don't want your sixth grader getting any ideals, you might want to read this one so you have your sixth grader's number!

A Special Thank you to Andrews McMeel Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
This book was received as an ARC from Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I can see why the Big Nate series is very popular. Every time I read a new Big Nate Graphic Novel my stomach hurts from laughing to hard. The words he says and how he treats his teachers reminds me a lot of a more free spirited Young Sheldon and now Nate feeds the class gerbil his homework and when his least favorite teacher Mrs. Godfrey questions him, he stops at nothing to come up with the best excuses to not only get away with not doing his assignment but to maintain his reputation as the class clown and world class prankster. Just like the other books in the series, our young readers will enjoy this book and can't wait until it is released.

We will consider adding this title to our JGraphic Novel collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.