Cover Image: Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me

I have never read anything by LaCour that wasn't absolutely gorgeous and heart wrenching. This is no different.
No one writes grief and loneliness as well as Nina LaCour, Atmospheric and beautiful. Also the cover is gorgeous.
ifrst of all, I just have to acknowledge how beautiful this book cover is, I could stare at it for HOURS. I have yet to be disappointed by a Nina LaCour book, and it did not stop with this one. This is such a beautiful and haunting story about trauma, grief, and self love. It is one that I will definitely be thinking about for a while.
This was REALLY good. I enjoyed it a lot. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was because I felt like we just rushed through the ending and I didn’t like that. But overall, it was good!

Mila has been in the foster system for several years after her mother abandoned her after a fire and never returned. Now at almost 19, she was able to leave and move on. She’s given the opportunity to work as a teacher at a farm. But the farm holds more secrets than Mila is ready for.

It’s a modern day ghost story in a new way, which I really liked. It goes through grief and sadness, feeling peripheral and being included, being scared and facing your demons. I thought it was fantastic.
Atmosphere! Atmosphere! Atmosphere! I could visualize this book; in addition to the emotional pull, this should have led to a stronger reaction on my part. Unfortunately, while I have nothing negative to say about this book... I also have little to speak on. Simply, this book left me wanting more. I struggle to write that because yes! The writing and atmosphere is top notch - I was left with an empty feeling. While that may be the intent (the book is certainly haunting) it did not result in the best reading experience. It hits steady notes throughout but it never really crescendos. Again, in defense of the novel, this does fit with the narrative. It is also on the shorter side so I do not find the pacing gratuitous at all. It just was not enjoyable or particularly stimulating.

Reflecting on the book, I do like the messaging and the way it deals with trauma. I think I may have aged out of this one a bit in terms of age. 12 - 18 Bailey would have been really hooked to this... which is a pretty big range for YA readers! So, I would still recommend this book but probably not to my peers. I will be bookmarking this as a good YA fall read.
I loved this book! Nina LaCour has an amazing way with words and a minimalistic vibe that really pulls on your heartstrings!
This was such a haunting, heartbreaking story. I don't think I have ever read something quite like this. It was beautiful, it was sad, it was very emotional, it was a little bit terrifying. A story about trauma, family, belonging, and love. It was a weird story and I say that as the highest compliment: it wasn't quite clear what this story was, a paranormal story? contemporary? a mystery with fantastical elements? I adore the mesh, I adore the characters, and I adore the haunting setting. Nina LaCour's writing is so beautiful that it kind of breaks my heart in pieces. So many quotes were highlighted, so many pieces of my heart between these chapters. Beautiful, beautiful. All my words have left after I tried in vain to describe how much I have loved Watch Over Me. Absolutely fantastic.
I picked this one up on a whim and wow I really loved it. The exploration of grief and trauma was so thoughtful and well done. Mila's story was so atmospheric and I felt like I was out on the farm with her. For such a short story, it was full of emotion and I could easily read another 100 pages about Mila. I also really loved the inclusion of the ghosts in a way that didn't feel silly or fake.

This is my first by Nina LaCour but I am really looking forward to Yerba Buena and checking out her backlist as well.
Watch over me is a paranormal tale about letting go of what you can't seem to get over. Its a relatively short book that is lyrical and haunting and maybe even slightly a bit of a thriller.

Nina has aged out of her foster care and is sent to live in a farm with other foster kids and some haunting ghosts. This story jumps back and forth between wanting to feel loved and needed and finding out why she has the dire to feel so. Theres this feeling of what is real and what could just be the imagination of thought.

Although this wasn't my favorite read I think it would appeal to a lot of people especially for those who want a theme of belonging with a bit of a haunted twist.
Thank you so much to the publisher for approving me. This was a DNF for me, I suppose since I never got back into it and I’m just updating this to move this off my shelf.
A beautiful, soulful tale of loneliness and trauma, ghosts and found family. I loved every minute of this.
This is a haunting story about loneliness and trauma. It was moving at times, but I wish it was longer. I connected to the characters, but not as strongly as I wish I could have. I still really enjoyed it!
*3.5

This book was haunting in a way you wouldn’t expect. I was going into it thinking I was going to be creeped out but was more intrigued than anything as I followed along with Mila and her reflection of herself as a person with a traumatizing past.

It really explores the effects of grief and how it affects someone and the relationships they build after the fact. I flew through the book because it felt like a puzzle to me and I was trying to figure out what was going on and how it was going to conclude.

The writing was very poetic and beautiful. I would recommend this to someone that is a fan of poetry or even into light suspense although don’t expect big twists or anything. This is more of a slow burn self mystery if that makes sense.
Ghosts, loneliness, trauma, and abuse swirl together in this atmospheric and rural look at solitude and healing.
*Thank you to NetGalley for providing an eARC of this book. All opinions are my own*

DNF at ~20%

Honestly the writing style was not for me personally. I didn't get emotionally invested to any of the characters, and I was just bored while reading.

I don't think the book was bad. In fact, a lot of it was beautifully written, but i just wasn't able to read it.
No one writes grief like Nina. I pretty much always know what I’m going to get when I read one of her books, and this was no different.

I particularly loved the overlay of Mila’s memories with the present, and how it all came to head at the end of the book. I was literally holding my breath waiting to see what she chose to do!

I guessed what was going on with the ghosts pretty much right away, so sometimes I was a bit astounded when Mila didn’t figure it out, but then you realize maybe she was trying NOT to figure it out. Because it was some freaky stuff! And it’s hard to face things. But I absolutely loved it. I didn’t even need a reason for why they existed there on that farm; the concept was just so wonderful to me.
loved this title! great plot, amazing characters. This was my first time reading something by thing author, not sure if there are any other titles but I look forward to read more. The flow of the story was easy to follow. The characters were relatable and very very intriguing!
Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour is a comfort. You read this book and you can just feel the healing coming through on the pages. As with all of the books I have read by LaCour, I feel moved. I also feel so glad that I picked this one up. It was a great use of my reading time. I honestly still find myself thinking about what I read in this book – what was real and what was not.

Mila is the main character in Watch Over Me. As the book opens, she’s getting ready to transition out of her foster home and into a new job. She is going to be a teacher at this home run by these two adults who take on foster children. As it turns out, she finds family while at this home. She has to confront the ghosts of her pasts — literally. You see, she sees these ghosts dancing in the field, but she is not the only person who can see them. So far, Mila only has one student — Lee. She forms a deep bond with him. And together, they work through their trauma. We get to see what lead to Mila being in foster care and see her process her adverse childhood experiences (ACEs for those who aren’t in the social work/human services field). Eventually Mila begins healing from her trauma.

Watch Over Me is another beautifully written book from Nina LaCour. If I had to determine an aesthetic for this book, it would be cottagecore. You see, Mila stays in a cabin where she has a fireplace for heat and a skylight. There is homeschooling. The characters wear simple clothing. Additionally, they grow food and sell specialty flowers at the farmer’s market. However, this book is not at all obnoxious about being cottagecore. I loved the vibe, I’ll admit.

It was such a comfort to wind down with. I mean, yes, Mila has her ghosts. But, she learns and heals from what has happened to her. She processes and ends up accepting the love she deserves and forgives herself. I think that if you have also been through something, this book can be a balm. Pick up this quiet book for an excellent read that is on the cusp of young adult and new adult.
This is a title that I lived at the time of requesting but lost interest upon reading it. I’ve tried reading it three times now and I just can’t get into it, unfortunately.
I'm a big fan of Nina LaCour, her writing is atmospheric and beautiful, so I was super excited to get a digital ARC of this book. Main character Mia is easily relatable and has great depth, and the plot has enough of a magical realism bent to really engage the reader. The themes of survival and trauma were handled with both grace and a realistic eye- the characters behave in a way that isn't predictable, but is definitely understandable.
LaCour has another brutal and beautiful book in "Watch Over Me".