Cover Image: Teen Killers Club

Teen Killers Club

Teen Killers Club is a cross between a young adult thriller and a coming of age story, set against a dystopian landscape. The whole premise is a refreshingly original and interesting one and it's a whole lot of fun! It follows seventeen year old Signal Deere, a reclusive, introverted trailer park Goth who is very much an outsider and has been framed for the brutal murder and decapitation of her best friend and classmate, Rose. Trouble is she has no recollection of the night in question. She becomes known as The Girl From Hell and designated a Class A criminal, a class reserved for those society dubs irredeemable, but instead of going through the court process and then on to a lifetime in prison if convicted, she is recruited into a secret group full of other Class A criminals, where they become trained assassins the government uses to kill off anyone causing them inconvenience. But Signal is innocent and there's no such thing as an appeal or retrial for the worst offenders. She doesn't fit in amongst the genuine murderers who enjoy being taught how to kill and dispose of bodies inconspicuously. Can she survive a camp full of psychopaths and fake her way through the program?

This was so much fun right from the off and the mix of humour, puppy love and Signal's thrilling time in the camp, living alongside psychopathic slayers, made this such a quick, easy and thoroughly entertaining read. There are twists and turns to the story and it all moves at a decent pace. I really enjoyed the distinctive personalities of the characters, and I imagine a lot of time and effort went into making them as intricately developed as they were. Of course, the plot has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but if you can suspend your disbelief you are treated to a compulsive and really quite addictive dystopian thriller, which is a perfect as an escape from the rather troubling reality we are in right now. An excellent, gripping and unique debut from an author to watch. Recommended to those who enjoy YA and coming of age thrillers and readers looking for something a little different to the norm. A book to lose yourself in and devour in a single sitting. Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books for an ARC.
🍁🔪 REVIEW🔪🍁

Publication Date: 11/10/2020
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5/5 stars

Thank you to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC.

YA thrillers this year have been AMAZING and Teen Killers Club is no different. With a unique storyline and amazing characters, this book is now one of my go-to YA recs.

Teen Killers Club is about Signal Deere, a quiet teen outsider who is wrongfully convicted for killing her best friend. Signal does not remember the night her friend died, but all of the evidence points to her. She then tests as what is called “Class A”, which is basically the worst of the worst with murderers. Due to this, she has no chance of getting a retrial. She is given the opportunity to attend a secret camp for teen killers, where the government uses the teens as weapons against people they need to take out quietly. So now Signal, an innocent girl who has never killed anyone, is at a camp full of psychopaths and tasked with learning how to kill and dispose of bodies.

I LOVED the plot of this book. I also loved the dark, offbeat humor throughout. Lily Sparks does a great job of crafting multidimensional characters that you root for. Signal is an excellent main character who has to have the worst luck of all time. There is a love triangle that I was INVESTED in, featuring my favorite character of the book - Erik, a sociopath who you grow to love. It may seem weird to love a group of murderous teens, but I did.

Overall, Teen Killers Club is a dark, humorous YA thriller featuring amazing characters and on point dialogue. Fans of None Shall Sleep by Ellie Marney will love this book when it releases on 11/10/2020!

ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like people who are obsessed with true crime would love this book, as it's set in a camp for teenage killers and one of the subplots consists of solving a case from afar.

The main character, Signal (yes, that's really her name), isn't really a killer - she got convicted for a crime she didn't commit and Sparks well portrays the unease the MC feels surrounded by the real killers.

The idea for the camp is very interesting and the plot contains many jaw-dropping plot twists.

However, there were some elements, that could've been cut out or changed, like some of the deaths and the love triangle (I mean, we're in 2020, come on now).

Other than that, if you like true crime and stories about killers and assassins (and love triangles), this book is perfect for you!
I absolutely loved this book! It was so fun and adventurous. The characters were very dynamic and the drama was great! I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what happens next and that was so enjoyable. I hope there is a sequel!!
This book was really fantastic to read! I loved this whole concept, of a group of teens being brought together because they have the choice of staying in prison for the rest of their lives-or work for a secret program to be an assassin. Yeah. But adding in the fact that Signal is innocent? It's kinda like she got thrown into a pack of wolves.

Even though this book is about teenagers learning to kill, well, they're still teens, and romance does bloom. But given that there's less than 10 kids, well, conflicts arose from the lack of choices, but also, they're there because they're killers. Violence it a must. So that was fun times and fun reading!

The first half of this book is the training. I loved her interactions with the other characters, the trainers were just so cheerful for training teenagers to kill. And the teens, well, it was interesting to watch them interact, and how they reacted to Signal.

The second half was part mission, part investigation into Signal's case, of what really happened that night. And there were a lot of reveals, and honestly, I would really love to have a 2nd book, because the way this book ended, well, I need a 2nd one! I need to see where it goes from here, with what we learned.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was a really great read, and I really hope we get a 2nd book!
I really loved this book. I requested this book quite a while ago and had no memory of what this was about when I started it. Right from the beginning I was hooked. The opening scene was very compelling, gripping and really sucks the reader in with a line like “Prison is a lot like high school”. Like who can’t get hooked in with a first line like that?

We meet a lot of characters within this story and each of them are so unique and very different from one another, their kills and the way they kill are very very unique. This story is full of laughs and I had so much fun with these characters. Although there were a lot of laughs and funny moments in this story it does have quite a dark undertone because Signal is innocent and she is in a camp with Class A killers that are training them to be even better killers.

This was such a fun and quick read with a little bit of a love triangle which was interesting to follow. I did really love this book but it isnt one without some faults, some insta love with our main character which got on my nerves a little and I do feel this whole story could have been slowed down a bit and a bit more fleshed out but that did not take away any of my love for this story and can’t wait for the sequel!!
Thank you to netgalley and crooked lane books for the ARC of this book.

I was drawn to this book by the cover and the prospect of teen murderers.

The story revolves around Signal, a girl who is sent to prison for the murder of her best friend. The problem is Signal can’t remember a thing from that night!
She gets a deal to leave jail and join other teens at camp for Class A killers.

I couldn’t put this book down. I was invested right from the start. It was a very quick and easy read.

I found the plot to be so unique. It gave me like a suicide squad vibe and I was all for it. For the most part I liked all the characters. Signal had some moments where I just wanted to smack some sense into her, but was like able for the most part.

Overall I really enjoyed this book!
I’m hoping there’s a sequel in the works because that ending was not enough for me.
This book was absolutely fantastic. I've already added it to our library wishlist and recommended it to students.
This book absolutely threw the line and reeled me in, the premise was brilliant, the writing style was fantastic!
Unfortunately this was a book that I couldn’t find the motivation to finish. The story was intriguing but I found the writing to be a bit too juvenile, even for a young adult novel. I wanted to enjoy the story but there was a lackluster quality overall and decided it just wasn’t for me.
Five blazing stars for this fast paced thrill ride!

What I thought going into this book: Okay, a group a assassins in training and a girl who doesn’t fit in among the worst of the worst...

What I wasn’t expecting: The freaking romance!!!! But, it’s so dannnnnng good!

Signal is framed for the murder of her best friend and instead of continuing her prison incarceration, she is given a swift opportunity to join a group of other worst of the worst teens in a training camp of sorts. At an old abandoned summer camp, she finds herself with seven other teens, all Class A’s like her. See, there is this new profiling algorithm that separates people between Class D to Class A, with Class A being the .001 percent human monsters... But Signal Deere doesn’t fit in... She didn’t fit into her life before as a Goth girl from a crappy background. And she doesn’t fit in here at among these killer kids.

But, what Signal never expects is to bring these crazy campers together, giving them hope and a possible different outlook... and she really doesn’t expect to find love. There is a bit of a love triangle that I totally dug! I knew who I was rooting for instantly, but I won’t spoil the fun.

The dynamic between each of these kids was so much fun. You have one girl who wears a ski mask all the time, wondering what she must be hiding under there. And, she is protective of Signal from the start. There is the girl that, for the last couple weeks, was the only girl at camp so there is a territorial issue between her and Signal. The twins who are the clowns of the bunch, always making jokes. One boy who possibly hasn’t killed anyone... One boy who helps Signal and tries to keep her safe... and one boy who wants to help Signal get to the bottom of who really killed her best friend.

Then, you combine that with the “camp counselors” with their insane tasks and assignments, a man lurking in the woods and just the overall sense of strangeness from the fact that these are actual maniacal teenagers being trained to kill and clean up after it, makes for some of the most fun I have ever had while reading a book!
Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. I didn't love the writing style, but the premise was funIt got really exciting about halfway through and I devoured most of it in one sitting. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
I'll be honest, I initially requested Teen Killers Club based on the cover alone. I had no expectations going in. So, I was delighted when the story completely sucked me in. Super secret teenage assassin camp? Say no more. This book is teeming with action, and plenty of suspense, but it was the wicked, sharp humor that made it shine for me. I became very invested in the characters, who definitely aren't the wide-eyed innocents of your typical YA novel. These kids have a dark past, and though there isn't relevant background on all of them, the ones that are highlighted are rich and complex. The book is written in a relatively simple style, but still there were some twists, and a few plot detail revelations that caught me completely unaware. I'm hoping for more books, because the ending of Teen Killers Club? I still haven't picked my jaw up off the floor, and I NEED to know what happens next.
4 stars

I was provided a review copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley
Teen Killers Club by Lily Sparks is a fast and enjoyable read for people who enjoy twisty and bloody thrillers.  Main character Signal was framed for the murder of her best friend and has been sent to a camp of ruthless teen killers to be trained as a secret assassin.  Instead of basket weaving and canoeing, their camp activities are learning how to hide a body and making an acid bath, and you know what, they just might become friends along the way.

Yeah, this is a pretty silly book, BUT an enjoyable silly  book.  It is important for the reader to suspend their belief when reading this book and just have some fun while reading or it will take you completely out of it.  Overall this was a fun, quick read, and we all need that sometimes.
Teen Killers Club is about a camp where a bunch of convicted teen felons are taught how to get away with murder in order to help their government quietly dispose of threats to the country.

The premise is super interesting and original. I enjoyed the group of characters--their flaws and diversity. The main character, Signal, is convicted of killing her best friend, but she has zero memory of the night that it happened. The substory of Signal trying to figure out what happened that night is also a fun added mystery. Signal’s personality was a little bland, and I wished that she was more memorable than the other characters in the story. The “big reveal” of who the killer was in this story kind of came out of left field with not many hints or clues hidden throughout the story. Overall, it was a fun read, but had some issues with execution.

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
This was really great!! It was such an awesome premise that I was entertained from the first page. While Signal was not my favorite character by any means, I was still into her story. I also was a little annoyed with her name for some reason and kept hearing Sigil in my mind instead of Signal. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ But that’s my own mental hurtle!!

Otherwise, a camp for kids who have killed people that teaches them to get better at killing?!?! Well hell yeah I want to see how that unfolds!!! Each character has their own quirky thing going on and an interesting back story. While we don’t learn everyone’s background, we learn enough to like each member of the Teen Killers Club. I personally adore Nobody cause she’s just the shit. A fierce person in everything she does.

I kept trying to guess who the killer was in Signal’s story, whether it was her, someone she knows, or even a stranger that she’s never met. But I was soooo wrong on all my guesses, which is awesome!!! I was also wrong about most of my character judgements and I love a book that can surprise me. Makes for a super fun read!! Should I be concerned that I related to these teen killers?!?! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I’m so glad I picked this up for October as there’s a bit of mystery, a chilling plot, and is a thrilling ride altogether. I recommend this to YA thriller lovers, but do watch out, there’s a bit of violence... I mean, the title kinda says so, but thought I’d verify. There is killing involved!!!

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me to read this for my honest and unbiased opinion!!!

Will post to Amazon when published.
✨”A masked assailant is here to kill us all, and these ruthless predators, these bloodthirsty Class As, these friends of mine couldn’t be happier.”✨
— Lily Sparks, Teen Killers Club

🌷To the world, Seventeen-year-old Signal Deere is The Girl From Hell who killed and decapitated a classmate. Deemed a Class A (the worst kind of criminal) she has the choice of forty years in jail or to join The Teen Killers Club.

But becoming a killer camper isn’t exactly easy when Signal doesn’t exactly well... want to kill. Instead, she is determined to prove her innocence for the crime against her classmate but this isn’t easy in a group full of killers. Weakness = danger.

Can Signal avoid getting blood on her hands? Can she survive camp? And is gorgeous Erick, the psychological killer, just trying to get into head? And what about Javier and the cuts from his hands? Is he just as dangerous?

Read. 👏🏻. This. 👏🏻. Book. 👏🏻.

A blue haired heroine? Yes please. Guys you SHOULDN’T fall for? That’s what I love. Badass girlfriends? Cool, thanks. And a summer camp for Killers? Wow! They will teach you how to get rid of a body and not get caught!😂

I’ll definitely be adding this author to my watch list! I am craving book two already!

Thank you so much netgallery and Crooked Lane Books for this early readers copy!🥰

Read. Be happy. Stay safe.
This isn't necessarily the kind of thing I'd normally gravitate toward, but I checked it out (full disclosure because the author is a guest on an upcoming episode of our podcast!) I think this concept will appeal to a lot of teens, and I found it to be a fun, fast-paced book that wasn't TOO gory. It is a little silly if you stop to think about it, so maybe, like, don't?
Sadly my phone which I was using to read this book screen had broken and so sadly I couldn't finish the book because it was past the archive date and I couldn't download it onto a different device. I only got a chapter or so read but the storyline was hooking, I really wished I could of finished this book.
Thank you so much to Crooked Lane Books and to #Netgalley for the ARC.

What a awesome, super fun campy teen thriller.  Truly! This was probably one of my favorite books of 2020 so far.
The premise of the book is taking teens who have been convicted of murder, and putting them in a camp to train them to become assassins.  Honestly, it is a super far fetch idea, and totally unrealistic BUT its still a fun read.  I actually liked all of the characters.  even though they are all basically killers!

This is not a book that is going to change lives, its not going to make you have any profound thoughts but I don't think that was Lily Sparks intent. Its a fun, enjoyable read that is easy to get lost in!