Cover Image: A Deadly Education

A Deadly Education

Summary:

A Deadly Education is set at Scholomance, a school for the magically gifted where failure means certain death (for real) — until one girl, El, begins to unlock its many secrets.
There are no teachers, no holidays, and no friendships, save strategic ones. Survival is more important than any letter grade, for the school won’t allow its students to leave until they graduate… or die! The rules are deceptively simple: Don’t walk the halls alone. And beware of the monsters who lurk everywhere.
El is uniquely prepared for the school’s dangers. She may be without allies, but she possesses a dark power strong enough to level mountains and wipe out millions. It would be easy enough for El to defeat the monsters that prowl the school. The problem? Her powerful dark magic might also kill all the other students.

Opinion:
Naomi Novik is one of my favourite authors since I read her fantasy novel 'Uprooted' a few years ago so when I read that her new novel was going to be about a dark magic school with dark academia vibes I knew I had to read it. However, my experience with the book was a bit of a mixed feelings relationship.

Things I like: I adored the world-building (the atmosphere, the importance of spell books and how they can run away from you if you don't take care of them). I love the idea of this school being alive, as if its own entity...and quite dark (although I have to admit I was constantly imagining this old-fashion-wooden school, despite of being quite metallic ). I love the idea of the alliances and how all the students are left alone to safe themselves. My relationship with the main character, although it wasn't very good at the beginning (I do not know how to deal with always-angry-teenagers), ended up being a good one. I ended up being very protective of El. In fact, I adored the flashbacks from before the school (dark and scary at the same time). Oh! AND THE MONSTERS! THEY WERE SCARY. SCARY. VERY SCARY. Oh, and THAT ENDING. Novik knows how to do cliffhangers.

Things I didn't like: First of all, I had the feeling, for the 80% of the book, that I was being told about the events instead of living it (with a lot of info-dumping as well). This made me feel very disconnected from the story and the main character for most of it. Secondly, I would have love to explore how the spell-creating aspect of the book a bit more, specifically, I was very disappointed about El, being specialized in rare linguistics used English all the time to conjure. I understand that is the language the book was written but I do believe that this idea of spell-creating-study-path was a rare and interesting choice to based the roots of the character and her connection to magic so I would have loved to see it a bit more. In  addition to that, although I loved the alliances, I had the feeling that they were created very quickly (I would have love to see them developed...although I guess that's something it would be explore in the next book).

Overall: I recognize that I had very high expectations towards the book and that may have affect my opinion on it. However, I enjoy it and I know its sequel has a lot of potential. And I cannot wait to read it.
Free copy provided in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes my rating or review.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Rating: 5 out of 5.
5 obsessed stars!

I LOVED this, and I don’t even know why. It was somehow both incredibly confusing and incredibly addictive, and the writing style was absolutely STUNNING, but I can definitely see why people would hate this.

This book was shockingly unique. A school with no teachers, where only 1/4 of the kids make it out of the school alive? That’s a new one, and so was this entire world. Ripe with deadly monsters and a crap-ton of violence, book 1 in The Scholomance was definitely a unique concept.

“In fact, it’s entirely possible there are loads of unknowing potential wizards out there, people like Luisa who could hold enough mana to cast spells, only they’ve been raised mundane and so they can’t, because they don’t know that magic works, which means it doesn’t.”

Does that make absolutely no sense to you? Welcome to Scholomance, where I only understood about half of what was happening. Yeah, the info-dumps definitely didn’t help – and there were a lot of them – but surprisingly I actually didn’t mind the fact that I comprehended practically nothing! I felt that it just added to the charm of the book, increasing the violent and confusing atmosphere that Novik so wonderfully wrote about.

And then there were the characters! I honestly really loved El, but I can definitely see why people hated her, because she was a real bitch. I didn’t even mind though, her insults were just so creative and wonderful (did I highlight them for the soul purpose of using them in the future? Yes, yes I did. But don’t worry, I’ll put the best ones in a list below.) and her personality – acidic though it may have been – was really easy to relate to and was really believable. I also really loved Orion – the Scholomance golden boy – and his relationship with El, their very minimal romance combined with their hilarious friendship was just absolutely wonderful. Orion was like my little child, and I’m so glad that El had him at her side.

“-what are you doing?” he burst out.
“What?”
“Why are you being this nice?” he said. “Are you mad at me for something?”

Yep, that just about sums up El and Orion’s relationship. Wonderful, isn’t it?

Now, this book didn’t really have a plotline, but I honestly didn’t mind that much. It was still very addictive and entertaining, and the world was crazy enough that it barely needed a plotline – just the life of El was weird enough! Be warned though: there’s a bit of a cliffhanger, and it killed me a little. I can’t wait until July… book 2, here I come!

All up, this was an absolutely hilarious and wonderful book! Thank you so much to the author and publisher and Netgalley for this brilliant ARC :)).

~ Darce❤

EL’S GREATEST INSULTS:

“it’s Galadriel…. and if that’s too many syllables for you to manage all in one go, El will do”
“He’s going to be fine!”
“No, he’s not, I’m going to back his head in with a brick”
(not really an insult, but it’s funny anyway)
“It’s a grogler, you brainless cod!”
“Don’t even open your mouth in my direction, you overgrown lemming”
“Orion Lake, that means you, you tragic blob of unsteamed pudding, we’re going. Orion!“
So the main character has been described as a “female-led Harry Potter” and I've heard good things about Naomi Novik so thought I'd give it a try.
The author goes in to quite a lot of detail and the plot is about the story of the school and the protagonist’s family
Galadriel is irritable and rude but clever and loyal. Her male counterpart, Orion is just as likeable.
It was different, maybe aimed at someone younger than me but I enjoyed the novel and I will definitely read more by this author and also the sequel
I was hoping that this would be a fun and intriguing book filled with magic and mischief and I was not disappointed. It tells the story of El, a young student of the Scholomance, where students learn magic in an extremely hostile environment and only 1 in 4 of them make it out alive. I really enjoyed the setting and thought that the school was fascinating. There is definitely more to explore here, but Novik gives enough exposition to ensure that we can place ourselves firmly in the world in the first half, so that we can get swept up in the adventure of the second half. I loved El as a character and thought that her arc here was really compelling. At heart, this is a coming of age tale and I enjoyed the journey very much. Overall, I thought this was a great introduction to the series, and I can't wait to see what will happen next.
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Despite promising a refreshing take on magical schools and attempting to create a complex world rooted in global influences, this start to a series is highly disappointing in the manner it fails to execute sequences and develop characters even remotely understandable, as well as the downright infuriating idea of checking diversity boxes through a complex biracial representation—and potentially deleting an entire part of the culture identity in the name of one's conservative paternal side disowning them—and sprinkles of real world parallels diluted by linguistic annotations and drowned in clichés and stereotypes that perpetuate financial, cultural, and lifestyle misassumptions and unnecessarily preconceived notions.
I have mixed feelings about this books, I really like the concept of the books. The whole idea about the magic school.  But the main character at time just put me off. Also there was so much description.
Magic schools are something of a buzzword for me, the start of which was likely a wee castle you may not have heard of from a 7 book series. I have continued to read books with this trope and enjoy them a lot. To the Island of Roke, to Brakebills University right full circle to the Unseen University I always come back. I'm also a fan of Naomi Novik so a deadly Bloodborne school with magical teens in her hands sounded so promising. Sadly, this was a bit of a mess.

This one was a big letdown for me. I have only loved Naomi Novik's books in the past and the premise to this is very promising. The biggest failure I found with the book was the world building. This was my biggest issue. Usually I look at every element of a book right down to format to try and assess did the way the writer executed their world, especially in a fantasy setting. I've seen some instances where the type of world building Novik tried to use definitely worked but here, everything felt like floods of information that stopped the story where it stood to just tell us about some magical abomination.

I don't like the term 'info dumping' myself but that's kind of what was happening here. There are parts where there is pages of exposition to tell us about the Scholomance and all the scary things that live in it and how the students cope, which I did want to know but I didn't want to have the entire story to stop to learn it. That being said, this is the first book in the series. I'm hoping that now this is laid out for the story to come, that the focus can be on the story itself and what's happening to the characters.

Getting to the characters, El is a great main character but in her presence the others kind of pale. El (short for Galadriel. Yes THAT Galadriel.) is a biracial girl who is fighting tooth and nail to survive her time at this school. Something I really liked was how El is this magician that is totally built and being guided toward the darkest, most destructive magic possible but she is trying to steer away from it. There is something very fun in reading a character who is so powerful they could end the entire school in 3 words, but just won't give in. Something that does come up a lot from El's perspective and just as a general discussion, is the divide of class and privilege in this school.

There are little cliques of these kids who offer alliances to survive graduation and who have known each other for years before they attended the scholomance. Think the kids from the Shadowhunter families being sent in here and the advantage they would have over pretty much anyone else of any race or culture or background. That is something I really did enjoy, El doesn't tolerate anyone and isn't afraid to speak her mind to people acting the absolute privileged maggot. She is also a grumpy fuck which I will always appreciate as well. But it's also clear she got most of the character pie too outside of Orion.

There is a good magic system where those using standard magic, need to create the energy to use it (or, if going dark, need to kill for it) and that takes actual work. I loved this aspect of magic in other series like Rivers of London and Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy. But the book can't be held up by that, an interesting main character and some good discussions on privileges. The plot doesn't have much else beyond El and Orion, which would be fine if that was all this was about but it's a book about a dangerous magical school with creations right out of DnD.

I'm really wanted to love this one but ultimately, I am disappointed in it. I do have faith in the series as it continues and hope the author will learn from the criticism that was rightfully given. I have tried to review this as carefully as possible but I may also have gotten parts of this wrong but again, that is why you should search out more reviews BIPOC in the first place. Thank you to Del Rey and NetGalley for this copy of the book to review. Thanks for checking in guys, happy reading to you all.
DNF. I couldn't connect with this book at all and found it really hard to get into. I had high hopes for this, which is a shame.
Loved it! It's a gripping and highly entertaining story, a sort of dark fantasy that mixes well known tropes like the magical school with a fascinating and well developed word building.
The characters are fleshed out and interesting, the plot tightly knitted.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Great book. I loved reading it. Very interesting and covers alot of information
For me personally this was a 3 star read but I have given it 4 stars based on the actual target audience who are considerably younger than me.

Novik has tried to be racially inclusive in her writing (I think characters from the whole world are mentioned at some point) this has lead to accusations of racism. Personally I only noticed one while I was reading and it was not the “dreadlock” issue that apparently set Twitter afire.

I don’t want to say too much about the characters or the setting as that could provide spoilers instead I want to look at the themes explored in the book and why they make it more than just a book about magically gifted children tackling evil.

At its heart this is a story about secondary school /sixth form (UK terms ages 11-18). For most of the pupils this is their first time away from the comfort and security of home, it’s about finding your feet, finding yourself and defining who you want to be. It’s about making friends and learning what you can achieve and about learning the importance of working together.

You would think in a book with literal monsters trying to kill the human characters the distinction between good and evil would be obvious. Not so instead this book explores all the grey areas that can occur when you are fighting for your own survival. It also explores the idea that good actions can have unforeseen negative consequences.

I love the way Novik casually throws in references to other books my favourite being “Reader, I ran the fuck away”.

There is also a particularly hilarious scene involving a mothers warning about “Secret Pet Mals” I actually did laugh out loud at this because I can so clearly see the mother giving the advice and the reaction of other students when it is revealed.

Overall I found this to be a fun book about the whole school experience with monsters thrown in to complete the adventure.
A really interesting and unique take on the magic school trope. Excited to read the rest of the series. Thank goodness for Naomi Novik, coming through to save 2020.
A Deadly Education is the first book in a new series by Naomi Novik and follows Galadriel (El) during her penultimate year at The Scholomance. The Scholomance is basically a deadly high school for wizarding teenagers and there are strict rules, such as curfews and not skipping classes but absolutely no teaching staff or authority figures, the school runs itself. It took me a while to get my head around the concept of this school which is hidden in The Void with only one entrance to the actual world in order to limit the amount of mals (monsters) who can force their way into the school and feast upon the young wizards.
El is a bit of an outcast, she has no friends and hints are made throughout at the powers she possesses although she manages to keep these hidden from the other students even though she knows that this would make her more appealing to the enclavers. At the beginning of this book, her life is saved by another student, Orion, and he seems to have made it his mission to save as many lives as possible from the mals who live within the school itself but this has disrupted the balance of the scholomance and this must be put right. Throughout the story, it seems that everyone is mainly concerned with survival and forming the most advantageous alliances before Graduation Day, where the senior students leave the school via the gates to the world outside where hundreds of mals are hungry and lurking and not many will make it out alive. This made it difficult for me to really connect with any of the characters as they all seemed to have their own agenda at the expense of those around them.
I was intrigued by this school and its characters and although I enjoyed it overall, it wasn’t my favourite Naomi Novik book. Once I had grasped an understanding of the background of the story, it was easier to follow and it flowed better and I think this will be beneficial in reading the future books. I am interested to follow the story as it progresses throughout the series especially as this book ended on a curious cliffhanger.
Absolutely love this! It's like grown up, dark Harry Potter. I adored the whole premise - the magic school with no faculty, the mysterious dark entities skulking in the shadows, the girl with more power than she knows how to use. I'm a big fan of Naomi Novik and this did not disappoint.
A Deadly Education was an interesting read for me.

I’ve read Spinning Silver by Naomi before and found myself disappointed at the ending. However, A Deadly Education whipped up the rule book and made me fall in love with Naomi’s writing style. The style in question lends itself to the stories own discovery plot and mysterious goings on. Involving the reader bit by bit and the whole setting of the story really allows you to lose yourself amongst the pages.

However, something some readers might not enjoy would be the huge info dump that is the first few chapters. I myself enjoy an info dump as I adore each new lore and location by authors. The schoolmance itself, does need explaining so I can understand why the first few chapters focus on giving you all the information- I loved it but some readers who aren’t so keen on info dumps be aware that this book has them (but does need them).

The relationship between Orion and El was so beautifully written. I enjoyed El’s eagerness to distance herself from appearing weak and looking like she needs help. When Orion saves her from the Mals, there is a turning point in El’s former status of no friends and we as readers get to see how that causes her mind to shift from the expectance of pain and disappointment to accepting love and happiness.

Before I ramble on, this book happily surprised me and created a wonderful magical world with a deeply entrenched lore that I loved. I will be reading the rest and all the other books Naomi has to offer!

Thankyou to Netgalley and Del Ray for my advanced copy. It was a pleasure to read!
Thanks to NetGalley and Del Ray for my Arc in exchange for an honest review.

Ok so first off let me just say that this school is utterly horrible. I know that's the point but it cannot be said enough.
Monsters that want to eat teens, a school with no teachers or safety, no proper friends, potentially tainted food, no contact with the outside world, only being able to bring what's on your person to the school when you're 13 and then of you want more stuff you have to try and make or trade items.
Not being able to go to bathroom alone so just not washing often. Having one wall of your room be the Void.
In one instance, Galadriel (El) vomits into the void and from then on all I could think was - Do they poop in the void as well? Like, if you need to go to the bathroom in packs and a lot of people, El included, are often alone, when would you be able to go to the toilet?
Anyway...

We follow Galadriel (El) as she's in her penultimate year of The Scholomance; she has no friends, 2 t-shirts, world ending powers and a knack for languages. She's a sarcastic cow and I genuinely found her very funny; she's pragmatic, clever, stubborn, ruthless and only cares about survival.
One night, Orion, the resident 'hero' of the school, saves her from a Mal (monster) and she is furious as she believes it'll make her look weak. Everyone in the school has an affinity for different types of magic and his is killing mals, so he kind of can't help himself. They eventually form a prickly alliance after El is attacked by another student and because of her connection to the beloved Orion, things start to look up for her.
In their world, one of the main ways to survive is to become part of an enclave (a group of magicians who live together for protection) and lots of large cities around the world have them - this kind of reminded me of Shadow Hunters because two of the main ones are London and New York but there are a lot more, even in the UK so it's not your typical Western Centric fantasy academy. Orion comes from the New York enclave but as we learn more about him, it's clear that his only true friend is El.

I loved the relationship between El and Orion, that coupled with her humour were definitely some of my favourite parts of this book. I also really enjoyed El trying to make friends.

In this world there are two main way to create energy for magic (Malia and Mana) Malia is kind of evil as you take others life force for magic whereas Mana is more honest like doing things that create energy (and you can sometimes store) e.g. exercise, crocheting, welding etc.

I also really like the fact that at this school you have to be able to build things in the workshop and are assigned objects to make on a regular basis, based on your powers. This aspect especially really reminded me of The University in The Name of The Wind too.

Now, the first two chapters of this book are HUGE info dumps and this school is very complicatedly horrible so there are a lot of world building facts often dumped by the MC when something relevant happens but I think if you can get through the first few chapters you'll be fine!

However, I do have some critiques.

I know Naomi has already issued an apology and is planning on removing this passage about Loc Leeches but because I had an arc it was still there. Now, there's a Lot of horrible things on this school - it's truly awful. And there were a lot of random tidbits of information thrown in but this felt so off kilter, especially for a school that's meant to be international, if theses mals (monsters) were going to burrow into hair, why would it specifically be locs (dreadlocks) that they chose? It doesn't make any sense and was clearly not thought through at all.

I also feel that this book suffers a bit from the fact that the author is white and is trying to write a mixed indian MC. And because the MC only mentions it a couple of times, mainly in relation to her backstory I genuinely kept forgetting.
And I knowww in this horror show of a school you've got other things on your mind but I think that certain perspectives can come from being mixed race and these weren't highlighted nearly enough. There is one part where she mentions that she feels out of place in Wales but not in India and that's pretty much it. But also because she's magic and prophecised to lay waste and sorrow to the world and has an aura that makes people miserable, that could also be why she has no friends. However, I'm not mixed race and I know there is a lot of diaspora for mixed race people so it's not my place to say whether this is 'authentic' or not.

And lastly, I don't necessarily think it was intentional but this book suffers massively from ableism. As I've mentioned (REPEATEDLY) this school is awful, there are monsters everywhere and you're constantly trying to not be killed - because of this you cannot be ill or you'll die. In one instance El gets stabbed and still goes to classes because otherwise the mals will get her. And yes, obviously in a school where survival is low anyway, the strong are more likely to survive but it just annoyed me. I don't suffer from any chronic illnesses but I'm often poorly (migraines, stomach issues, low blood pressure etc etc) and it just felt like a bit of an 'eff you' - if you're going to be poorly, you're going to die.

Also the fact that there are no teachers and it's never really explained why so there's no one to help when things go wrong.

I genuinely did enjoy this book and the characters however I hate the Scholomance with a passion. And also the (kind of) cliffhanger ending!!
I'm going to choose to believe that there's been a miscommunication but we'll see!
This is a fun novel which blends one of my favourite tropes - magic schools - with hilarious snarky banter, gentle horror, and a fast paced adventure. Galadriel, or 'El', is a teenager born with not just resting bitch face, but resting bitch entire body, personality, and all round vibe. She opens the story pissed that the golden boy of her school, Orion, has saved her life AGAIN. Their magic school is crawling with Mals, which are vague monsters with either a distressing number of teeth or tentacles. Orion is exceptionally gifted at killing them, and El is exceptionally gifted at destruction too, but keeps her gift hidden to avoid accidentally murdering her fellow students. Thus begins her relationship with Orion, who starts hanging around her thinking that she's a maleficier (evil wizard).

The story is entertaining from start to finish, and I absolutely loved the characters. El made me laugh multiple times, which is more than I tend to laugh at straight comedy novels, and I had a lot of sympathy for her by the end of the novel. Orion was a thorough idiot, but a soft idiot, and who doesn't like a soft idiot? The secondary characters were varied and likeable as well.

The style of writing won't be for everyone. El narrates the novel with a dry voice and often rambles for pages and pages. Personally I found all her ramblings and changes of subjects very funny. Novik really can write a consistent and unique voice. However, I do wish there was a little more dialogue, since what there was really shined.

Finally...the finale. I loved it and the last line made me say "ooOoOh" out loud. It's rare that I really want to read the next in a series straight off, but I'll be first in line to read Scholomance 2.
This was actually my first Naomi Novik book. I always wanted to read her work so this one was really great to start for me. I loved the premise of this book and the whole dark academia vibe. It was very fast paced and I loved the detailed world-building. I can't wait to read the next book. And one little tiny detail. I loved the Scholomance mail. It was very interesting and lovely.
A Deadly Education, The Scholomance 1, is the best book I’ve read this year, and I’ve read quite a few. I like Novik’s Temeraire series set in an alt-history Regency universe with dragons, so I was eager to read this one. Her new series couldn’t be farther from the sophisticated historical fantasy—and it’s all the better for it.

The book is being advertised as Harry Potter meets The Fight Club, and it’s sort of accurate and not accurate at all. It’s young adult (urban) fantasy set in a school for sorcerers. But unlike in Harry Potter, it’s not a safe haven from the scary real world. The students are inducted at fourteen and they graduate four years later—if they’re still alive. Because the school is actively trying to kill them. There are no adults to help them, no sage elders. There are no teachers. There are only the students and hungry monsters. And the fight is constant. There are no safe places and they can’t get out except at graduation, and for that they have to exit through a huge hall teeming with the killer monsters. Not everyone survives.

Galadriel is on her second to last year, and she’s doing fairly well. She would do better if she gave into her affinity to dark magic, but she knows that if she does, she’ll become an unstoppable monster. So she hides her true nature and sticks to the good magic. But other students shun her, for no reason that she can understand. In a school that tries to constantly kill one, she need friends and allies. She can’t even take a shower without someone watching her back. She has no one.

Then Orion Lake, the hero of her year, takes interest in her, saving her from a monster after another. That’s what he does. He’s brilliant at keeping people alive. Galadriel resents him for it—the book starts with her contemplating his murder—but he seems to be impervious to her anger. And to her amazement, he starts hanging out with her. And with him, come other people. Not being alone is a new experience for her. What follows is basically a growth story about an angry loner, a fairly typical one at that, with popular kids versus the shunned ones and finding one’s true friends. There’s a little bit of romance there as well, but in a school where anyone can die at any moment, one doesn’t want to get too attached. Especially since it turns out that by saving all those students, Orion has only managed to make the monsters even hungrier—and they’re out to get the entire school.

What makes this book so brilliant is the world Novik has created. It’s rich and terrifying, and the narrative doesn’t spend a moment longer than necessary at explaining things. We learn as we go with Galadriel, her stream of consciousness describing both the school and the outside world in an exhausting but unputdownable manner. The chapters and paragraphs are long, but the reader plunges right in there with her and is in for a ride. The ending is satisfying, with a hook that guarantees I’m going to want to read the next book. Instantly, if that were possible.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this book. I absolutely loved this book! When I found out Naomi Novik had a new book out I jumped at the chance to request it and I’m so thankful I got the opportunity to read it. This book is amazing just like all her other books, Naomi is definitely one of my go to authors and I will read anything she writes. The story, the characters, the characters and the plot were all so great and so easy to read and get on with the characters. I highly recommend this book and I give the book 5 stars.