Cover Image: Altered Helix

Altered Helix

Altered Helix is a mystery, thriller and part romance.  It was a very easy read that I could get through in one sitting.

There are a lot of twists and turns and sometimes you think you know the answer and then Stephanie comes back with a different twist.

This book was very hard for me to really get into.  It started off with what was eventually going to be towards the end and then jumped right into "so many days before" and all the events that happened to lead up to that point.

It felt very jumpy and hard to understand at times.

Still a very good read if you are into mystery with a great thrill ride!!
Altered Helix is a well crafted and engaging read with a highly likeable cast of characters, It is definitely better suited to being a novel rather than a novella, as it would give the author more chance to flesh out the extraordinary world they appear to have created.
For the most part I really enjoyed this book but there were a lot of things that left me wanting more. The story starts off with 17 year old Austria, she has just graduated high school and is starting her first job at a haunted house instead of going to college. From her brief descriptions it sounds like she lives in the US but something has happened and the government has failed causing major job losses and rampant homelessness. Unfortunately, that is all the detail we get. I want to know more, What happened with the government that caused it to fail? What were the consequences? Etc. The bulk of the story is her time working at the haunted house and meeting new co-workers from different sides of life (fraternity guys vs street kids). One of the street kids Josh immediately starts showing an interest in Austria  which she feels as well. Two of the fraternity brothers are Ed & Matt, they bully the co-workers and are known to be involved in human trafficking. Austria has special capabilities that allow her to see things others don't and pick up on thoughts and visions. In the haunted house she frequently sees shadows that follow her and scare her. One she believes is her dead father. I found the book very interesting and read through it in one sitting. I just wish it was a full book rather than a novella. Overall I'd recommend it and was glad to hear the 2nd novella will be out next month. I'm just hoping there is more detail about the world and the plot is not rushed through as quickly. I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.