Cover Image: The Book on Pie

The Book on Pie

Love pie? Read this book with different ideas and inspiration for making pie and everything related to pie. Do recommend it if you love pie. Like pie? Also a good read!
This fabulous book is your one stop shop for all things pie. From sweet to savory, readers are taken on a journey through making the best pies. The introduction sets up the perfect atmosphere for the book – from the author’s nostalgic memories to her interesting stories, I was ready to whip out my rolling pin, put on my apron, and bake some pie! An inspiring baker, I learned so much about the technical side of a great bake. I found the crust designs fascinating and I will be trying them out in my own kitchen. There are delicious recipes for pies of all kinds too – Carrot Cake Custard Pie is sure to be a hit with my family! My mom adores carrot cake – as do I!

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley, for the electronic advanced reader copy of The Book of Pie. I will surely be adding it to my kitchen’s cookbook shelf when it arrives in bookstores on November 10, 2020.
Cookbooks. I LOVE cookbooks. But in these last few years I tend to spend less money on them because there is so much online. That is not true of this book. It has everything that’s perfect in a cookbook. Beautiful pictures, an excellent Index, clear recipes, all kinds of tips, and yet it is also very readable. Written in a sort of conversational way that I felt kept my interest so well.

It’s full of pies our mothers use to make, pumpkin, apple, and cherry but it is equally full of new ideas. All kinds of savory pies, gluten-free crust, vegan crust, cornmeal crust, more crusts than you can imagine.
Well, you can probably see I am in love with this cookbook. This is a book to purchase and put on your shelf not only for recipes but as a reference source. I intend to do just that. I bet this is the first hard-cover book I have bought in a year. I probably don’t give more than seven 5-star ratings a year. Lots of books are good books but 5-star books, well, they are special.
Excellent!!! I think I most enjoy the part about making Pielets. I have those size Pie Tarts, but it is hard to find recipes for them. They are so wonderful b/c I can make them beforehand and freeze them and use them for family treats or holiday parties.  Love, fruit, custard, cream, chiffon, cold set, savory, too. Making a really good Custard is essential to me as that is delicious. It takes a little practice to get it perfect. I really appreciate the advice the author offers.

Thank you so much NetGalley for an advance copy of this book. You have made my holiday brighter.
I have been a fan of Erin for a long time. The newest book in her library of pie making technique does not disappoint. Thoughtful and just the right amount of flair it gives the reader boundless possibilities. It is concise in its measurements . It is heartfelt in that you seem to be there with her as she opens up about the pitfall of pie making. It is an offer to perfection without the punishment of failure. Regardless of your skill level , here is a gift any baker would cherish among her favorites. Happy baking
Thank you NetGalley for an early copy of The Book on Pie

This is a very in depth informational book on pies covering flours, fats, toppings, fillings and various techniques.  This is jam packed full of useful tips and interesting recipes circling the globe.  There are easy to follow recipes and enticing photographs to go along.  It has a lot of detailed information for the new baker beginning their pie journey as well as helpful tips to the experienced pie maker.
My mom was notorious for making pies with crusts that melted in your mouth, and fillings that were perfect: not too sweet, not too tart. So when I saw this book, I knew I wanted to review it.

I devoured each word as I started reading. McDonald provided information on containers, ingredients, rolling pins, and much more. This is a pie book that covers almost everything.

Each Chapter includes many subheadings.

Chapter 1 – Doughs & Crusts
Chapter 2 – Decor & Toppings
Chapter 3 – Fruit Pies
Chapter 4 – Custard Pies
Chapter 5 – Cream, Chiffon, & Cold Set Pies
Chapter 6 – Savory Pies
= 352 pages of learning and fun!

This book is filled with wonderful pictures and easy instructions that benefit all levels of those who enjoy baking. It’s not one of those cookbooks that necessitate visiting a specialty store for ingredients before attempting a recipe.

I savored all the information and even discovered a section regarding freezing pies. Yes! This book seems to cover “almost” everything. And if you are reading carefully, you might notice this is the second time I’ve used the word “almost.”

For me, the book was missing one section.

What Concerned Me
Though these recipes called out to me, I kept looking for a section that used less fat and sugar. I know, I know. Many tasty deserts do use butter and sugar.

But I would love to have seen perhaps a Less Tasty Section. Even if it was a teeny tiny section. One that didn’t call for heavy cream, half and half, butter, and so much sugar.

What I Liked
Even though I listed something under What Concerned Me, without hesitation I would still purchase this as a gift for myself, or a friend. I can, after all, modify these recipes. And I love, love love that this book covers so many other helpful things.

My thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. My opinion has not been influenced by this opportunity.
These are hands down the most beautiful pies I've ever seen. If you're looking to up your pie game, this cookbook is for you. Not only does it have recipes for mouthwatering and unique pies but also for dozens of crusts and toppings and fillings that you can mix and match. On top of that, there is page after page of gorgeous step-by-step instructions on how to make the most show-stopping crusts around. A must have for anyone who enjoys baking pies..
5 STARS ★★★★★
This book is for you if… your obsession with pie is similar to that of the one and only Dean Winchester.

⤐ Overall.
If there's one thing you'll never hear me say no to it'll be a slice of fruity, delicious pie with a golden, flaky crust and a juicy filling. Seriously, I love this piece of heaven so much! Makes me believe there must be a goddess somewhere out there after all.

This book includes everything I could possibly have wanted from a book on my favourite sweet dish of all time - pie - and more! I'm really impressed with the in depth knowledge of the art itself. It is plainly obvious that Erin knows and loves what she's talking about. She's made it accessible to both beginners and advanced bakers and I daresay even my dad the baker might find one or two useful snippets in there.

The Book on Pie is especially useful for those of us who want or need to make their dishes glutenfree or vegan. There is detailed knowledge and information on how to adjust dough recipes to your needs and wishes as well as useful tips and tricks for improvising.

Recipe wise, Erin offers a wide range of classics and unusual creations alike. You're also very likely to find suggestions for variations to make it even more interesting and delicious. I cannot recommend this book more.

⤐ The book is structured as follows.
Recipes

5 CREAM, CHIFFON & COLD SET PIES
6 SAVORY PIES

Index
_____________________
5 STARS. Absolutely loved it. Memorable read that I'm likely to return to. Takes up space in my mind long after I've finished it. Oftentimes a particularly insightful read. Will recommend it with my last breath.
Thank you to NetGalley and Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for an ARC of this wonderful cookbook! I am always trying to improve the quality of my pie baking and this book has provided me with some wonderful tips and a lot of inspiration! The addition of the science behind the ingredients and technique is always a bonus. For me a great cookbook has to include high quality illustrations and this book does not disappoint in that area. Now that cooler weather is here I am anxious to get into the kitchen to bake some of these wonderful pies, I suggest you do the same!
As an avid pie maker, I felt lucky to have the chance to preview this title and have put it on my "to purchase" list. The front matter had a lot of good tips and I enjoyed trying a few recipes while my preview period was open. I look forward to making room for this book on my shelf and baking from it for years to come.
This copy is not downloading for me which is such a shame because it looks fabulous. This is why I am rating 3/5 stars.
It isn’t just that I love to eat and look at pie;  I, of course, want to make pie that looks and tastes delicious.  Yet, where baking is concerned, the space between wanting to create something and actually creating it can be vast.  I have more failed pie in my past than I care to admit. THE BOOK ON PIE may be my new constant companion, especially as the holidays approach.  Just reading the book, before I actually tried the recipes, helped me understand so many of my previous stumbling blocks.  And there are pictures enough to satisfy everyone.  This book by Erin Jeanne McDowell is a complete winner and I pre-ordered  a hard copy for myself and my sister, the baker. She’s going to love it, too.  So, I DID try a recipe, how could I not? I made the apple pie with gingerbread flavored crust.  It was amazing and not surprisingly, it didn’t last long at all.  This is the only possible downside I can detect:  disappearing pie.  I received my copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Why is pie the best dessert?!?

The Book on Pie begins with a breakdown of all the equipment that you’ll commonly use while making pies and the different types of pies. There’s an entire section devoted to making your pie crust and it even includes extras like how to use your crust dough scraps. I never imagined there were so many different types of pie crust! There was also an entire section on topping your pie! Which, let’s face it, is the best way to transform a pie from ok to fancy bakeshop quality.

The variation of recipes in this book was insane! There were handheld pies, fruit pies, tartes, pie sandwiches, custard pies, cheesecakes and cream pies! The recipes were detailed and in depth but easy to follow. They all sounded delicious but I’m really looking forward to trying my hand at making the white peppermint pie, the peanut butter banana cream pie and the butterscotch apple pie!

The Book on Pie is an incredible read for anybody interested in learning more about pie making! It’s full of amazing information and incredible recipes! Would highly recommend it!
The Book on Pie is an encyclopedic primer and recipe collection developed and curated by Erin Jeanne McDowell. Due out 10th Nov 2020 from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt on their Rux Martin imprint, it's 352 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.
Pies, in all their variations, are classic and universal - spanning nearly all world cuisines in one form or another. They can be simple or devilishly difficult to make consistently. This new collection of tutorials and recipes guides the baker through the process in an accessible and understandable way. The introduction includes a good overview of tools, supplies, and ingredients.

The layout is graphically appealing, logical and easy to follow. The chapters are arranged roughly thematically: from dough and crust variations, decor and toppings, fruit pies, custard pies, cream chiffon & cold set pies, and savory pies. Each of the recipes includes an introductory description, ingredients listed in a bullet point sidebar (metric & US measurements included - yay!), step by step instructions, as well a footers with tips and alternative suggestions as well as professional tips on presentation and more. One of the high points of the book for me were the photographs. Although not all the recipes are accompanied by photos, the ones which are included are high quality and clear - and serving suggestions are appealing and appropriate. Really beautiful pies with professional finishes, and something for me to aim for.

The recipe ingredients themselves are (mostly) easily sourced and will be available at well stocked grocery stores. There are a very few ingredients which might be a little more difficult to source, but definitely nothing that is 'way out there'.

All in all, -very- well written, beautifully presented pies, made from tasty ingredients which are easily sourced and beautifully enhanced with decorative complex looking fancy crusts. For cooks looking for a pie cookbook, this one is very very well written and presented.

Five stars, we'll be revisiting this recipe book often. A useful antidote to boring deserts. There are -so- many of these which will blow the socks off the "competition" at the next holiday gathering, reunion, or church social.

The Book of Pie by Erin Jeanne McDowell was a very extensive book on pie baking.

There is so much information at the beginning that is beneficial for both beginners and more seasoned bakers. The second half of the book contained recipes that were very traditional, some that had fun twists on old favourites, and then there were some that had really unique, delicious flavours.

While the directions and ingredients were super clear, as a new pie baker, I found most of these pies overwhelming. I found this book was more geared towards intermediate pie bakers and above. I think once I tackle and succeed at a few basic pies, I will move onto this book.

I often find most cookbooks are geared towards people brand new to that particular type of cooking. Whether it is pie baking, bread making, Asian cuisine, etc. I like that there is a book geared to someone more advanced. Often, we can get bored with the same old beginner recipes. So, this book was a welcome change that I look forward to utilizing in the future.

I received an eARC from Rux Martin and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt through NetGalley. All opinions are 100% my own.
**I received and voluntarily read an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.**

I love making a good pie, especially when I have tons of fruit that need to be used before it goes bad. With that being said, I absolutely jumped at the chance to read and review this book.

And I was not disappointed!

There are tons of recipes for different styles and flavors of crusts. It's not often you see a cornmeal crust, so when I saw that, I knew this book was going to be fantastic. The variety of recipes, especially in the fruit section, had me drooling over possibilities.

I absolutely love that there was a section on savory pies. A lot of dessert cookbooks overlook this area, so I was ecstatic to see this. I'm actually writing this review while I currently have onions caramelizing so I can make the "Sausage and Caramelized Onion Pie with Soft Pretzel Crust", and my kitchen smells like a restaurant.

The pictures are colorful and absolutely gorgeous. I do wish there were more pictures, but this book is already quite long, so any more and it would have probably been too much.

Overall, I can definitely see this being my go-to book for any kind of pie baking I have in the future. I also see copies being handed out for presents for any shower/tea/holiday/birthday that I'll be going to.
Thank you for the advanced reader copy of this book #netgalley

I was growing up with my mom's homemade pies on some weekends bake. Apple pie or her famous Quiche Lorraine. But I never thought that there's so many different pie dough, though the fillings are more or like the same. I would surely explore pies with this book!!

Moreover, the author gave so many tricks and tips all over the book, that reassures me that I'm gonna make a foolproof good pie :)
My oh pie! My pies just leveled up! From preparation to technique, The Book on Pie details everything you need to know to get that Pinterest or Instagram-worthy dessert. Whether you are a pie noive or a baker looking to enchace you skills, this book can help both and everyone inbetween.
This is indeed everything you need to know to make a pie!  It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or an expert or just looking for something different, this book will give you many ideas and the details to complete them.  I've a limited number of pie recipes in my skill set, I have now expanded that number while my family has made it known they are ready to try every recipe in the book.