Cover Image: The Book on Pie

The Book on Pie

The Book on Pie had a lot of useful tips, the recipes showed step by step on how to make pies.
The photos were so gorgeous, it made me want to instantly go make a pie.
This lockdown is hard for everyone but what better way to make it sweeter than with some pies?
This book is perfect for anyone, beginner or not, it includes so many helpful info that anyone can follow and try.
I have been wanting to do more pie baking and this book is great! It has a lot of great information and I know I will be trying out these recipes.
Such an amazing book for bakers! From crusts to fillings to toppings, this is an all-inclusive book from a New York Times contributing baker. Recommended (and delicious)!
I loved the selection of recipes and varieties of pies. However, the Adobe DRM advance copy that I received was so difficult and time consuming to use, I was not able to try out the recipes. Publisher - please do not use Adobe DRM.
There is a great amount of variety in McDowell's, The Book on Pie, with nearly every crust, filling, and crimping style one can imagine. Personally, I did not love the layout of this book but I think it will appeal to beginning bakers and fans of McDowell's work. As a food stylist, McDowell's photos in this work are incredibly appetizing!
Disclaimer I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

I have been following Erin Jeanne McDowell for a while on Instagram and watching her videos and following her recipes. I was beyond excited to see her announce a book solely on pies! This book has a bit of everything for the novice to the expert. I have a hard time with crusts and this let me really dive in and finesse my issues. Also the flavor combinations for some of these pies were revelations!
Love this cookbook! So much, in fact, that I bought myself a finished copy, in addition to asking my library to purchase it for our collection.

A beautiful book full of great tips and tricks to demystify pie baking. If pie crust is your nightmare (it’s mine!) do yourself a favor and buy this book. McDowell shows you how to do it step by step. I love how many variations she provides for each recipe (ie. try this crust instead, etc) - you’re sure to have ingredients in the house for one of them!

Be happy. Buy this book. Bake pies.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* This book is so amazing :O hard to put into words how bad i want to buy this book for myself and others (bc this would make an amazing gift!!) Great recipes with a wide assortment of recipes and amazing photos.
5☆ A Mouthwatering Baking Book....
A Pie Lovers Must Read!

Oh wow oh wow is this one Tummy Rumbling Book! A Pie Lovers Idea of Heaven.

There is so, so many pies, variations,  Fillings, Crusts, Designs, it was a complete eye opener to me. Some I have never even heard of but I can't wait to try them!

The Chapters are made up of :-
- Doughs and Crusts
- Decor and Toppings
- Fruit Pies
- Custard Pies
- Cream, Chiffon & Cold Set Pies
- Savoury Pies

The measurements are converted already into grams and cups, these are American Recipes so some ingredients you might have to search for equivalents but it will be worth it when you discover how delicious the pies are!

Oh and I am over the moon to say there is photographs! Admitted there isn't anywhere near as many as I would of liked but there is a fair amount.

This book literally has everything.
The Author is super talented, every little detail explained and thought about. Even down to pairing up pie crusts, with fillings and decorations.
The Author even has detailed explanations of the utensils needed, the difference between pie dishes, how to freeze pies and store them.
No stone has been left unturned with this book. Whether you are a novice Baker or an advanced there is something for everyone.

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishers for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I'll never make all these pies, but this is super comprehensive cookbook on all the pies I have had and can think of and more. The photos alone would make me hungry!
The book is divided into chapters on Doughs & Crusts, Decor & Toppings, Fruit Pies, Custard Pies, Cream, Chiffon & Cold-Set Pies and Savory Pies.  It is filled with answers to questions such as How do you freeze a pie?  What is a deep dish pie? What fat makes the best the crust?  What can I do with all of these pie dough scraps? The chapter on pie crust - honestily, who knew that this many variations on pie crust even existed?! And the variety of toppings ... wow!  Seriously, the photos alone will make you want to try every recipe ... right ... this ... second.

I RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY ADVANCED READER COPY OF THIS BOOK THROUGH NETGALLEY. OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS REVIEW ARE COMPLETELY MY OWN.)
If you like to bake, you must buy this book! What an amazing instructional 5⭐read, describing everything you ever needed to know about baking every kind of pie from start to finish. A lot of the techniques she described were ones my Mom taught me but then there were so many others that I had never learned. At the start of each chapter, she introduces information about the types of pie you would be making and throughout these sections, I especially loved her text boxes like "Pie-deas", "The Why's of Pie" and "Pie Pep Talk" giving you some extra info that is consistently there chapter after chapter, answering questions and trouble shooting while also challenging you to try and experiment!

But really.. the pictures.. I can't even.. 🥧 All I want to do right now is bake and eat pies for days.. I know what I'll be making for dessert at Christmas! There were pies I had never imagined but I am thinking about them now.. I especially liked that this book covered every kind of pie from fruit to savoury and everything in between! It made me want to make dinner just as much as dessert!

I +++ recommend you check this one out, it is truly THE book on pie🥧
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was amazingly formatted, beautifully written, and overall stunning. The recipes were delicious, although some of them might be a little bit too difficult for complete beginners. It gives you the opportunity to mix and match what kinds of pies you might want to make, and it lets you choose between crusts, fillings, and toppings. Overall, this is an amazing book that I definitely recommend.
As a wanna-be baker, I am always consuming cookbooks for baking. This book is perfect for pie making. With sections on crusts, fillings and toppings, it's perfect for mixing and matching. There is also a section on savory pies, one even has a pretzel crust. YUM

In addition to solid recipes and beautiful photos, the book is filled with tips and tricks to make you successful. I feel more capable just by reading it!

Thank you Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I love this book, it's beautiful to look at, the directions are nice without being condescending, and there are so many yummy recipes to try!
With lots of step-by-step guides and a plethora of recipes to chose from, this book would be a great resource for anyone trying to become a master pie baker. There are many pictures, which is always helpful when making something new, and the recipes are easy to follow from what I read. I didn't get a chance to make any of the pies, but I will definitely be going out to get my own copy!
Erin Jeanne McDowell knows pie. She is a contributing baker to the New York Times, she writes a biweekly baking column for Food52, she is a food stylist for Sift and recipe editor for PureWow and basically is all over the internet talking about the foods she loves to bake, and at the top of that list is: pie. From the days she spent baking pie with her grandmother to present day, McDowell loves everything about pie, and this book shows that.

The Book on Pie starts out how you expect a cookbook on pie to start—with the usual talk of equipment and ingredients. There are lots of important tips on making the storing, freezing, and refreshing pies; on troubleshooting problems with dough or parbaked crusts; on rolling dough and transferring it to the pie pan. And the best part of that is that there are lots of pictures. There are pictures of dough that is too wet, too dry, and just right so you can tell where your dough fits in. There are also pictures of blind baked and parbaked crusts, so you can see how they look when they are underbaked, overbaked, and just right.

And then it’s on to the recipes. McDowell starts with the doughs. First up is the classic All-Buttah Pie Dough, and then it is off to a wealth of other ideas, like Chocolate All-Buttah, Gluten-Free, Vegan/Dairy-Free, Cornmeal, Golden Cheese, Cookie Crusts, Olive Oil Crusts, Crumb Crusts, and Phyllo Dough Crust. There are classics like the Hot-Water Crust and a Rough Puff Pastry, and then there are the ones that spark your imagination, like the Meringue Crust, the Cereal-Treat Crust, and Haystack Crust.

Next it’s on to Décor and Toppings. If you’re looking to make a simple crimped crust or use a fork to add texture to the crust, that’s here. But there are also ideas for using lattice, cutouts, braids, checkerboards, textures, and marbling. You can add garnishes, swirls, or even a bacon lattice to top your pie. If you want to add another layer of flavor to the top, you can use a variety of whipped creams, marshmallow topping, meringue, streusel, fruit glaze, chocolate drippy glaze, or even a biscuit topping.

And then it’s on to the fillings. From fruits to custards to creams and finally to savory pies, there are again a wealth of ideas to tempt your imagination. And mixed in with all these amazing pie ideas are tips for tarts and galettes, hand pies, slab pies, and mini pies. So you can try the Whole-Apple Dumplings or the  Jam Cookie Tart, the Rose Peach Pie or the Blood Orange Brulee Pie. There is a classic Pumpkin Pie, but also Carrot Cake Custard Pie, and Tres Leches Slab Pie. Or you can try the Black Forest Pie, Peanut Butter-Banana Cream Pie, Eton Mess Pie, or even Breakfast Pie.

If you’re looking for something less sweet, there is also the Chicken Pot Slab Pie, the BLT Quiche, Croque Monsieur (or Madame) Pielet, Beef and Mushroom Pie, Shrimp-Boil Pie, Ratatouille Galette, or Frybread Taco Pie. You can use one of her recipes as is or with one of the many variations she suggests. Or you can just take the separate facets and make your own creation. The possibilities in The Book on Pie are endless.

I am a big fan of cookbooks, but I appreciate them so much more when they offer up possibilities that I have never thought of. The Book on Pie does that. Use cereal treats as a pie crust? What a great idea! Birthday-Cake Pie? Reuben Pie? Pie-ce Cream Sandwiches—mini pies with ice cream in between? Genius! This is certainly a cookbook that could be used for beginners—all the basic information is there. But I think this is far better for those who have a few pies under their belt already. They know the basics, they’ve made some pies, and they are hungry for more. For more ideas, more instruction, and more pies. The Book on Pie offers up so many interesting and delicious possibilities that an intermediate baker could become a master piemaker based on baking their way through this book alone.

The Book on Pie is truly a unique pie cookbook with a lifetime’s worth of lessons, and pie fans should definitely invest in a copy for their own bookshelf.

Egalleys for The Book on Pie were provided by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt through NetGalley, with many thanks.
The Book on Pie by Erin Jeanne McDowell is a cookbook that any pie baking connoisseur will want to have on their shelves. It is the ultimate pie reference book with many gorgeous photos and interesting new twists. Even the most seasoned pie baker will find something useful in this one.

While this recipe book is geared towards all skill levels,  it is definitely one for those who have some pie baking experience. The instructions are easy to follow, but most of the recipes are a bit more advanced than your typical beginner cookbook. What is most notable about this collection is the multitude of crust and filling options that can be combined.

❀ THE CONTENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Doughs & Crusts
Decor & Toppings
Fruit Pies
Custard Pies
Cream, Chiffon & Cold Set Pies
Savory Pies

❀ A FANTASTIC REFERENCE BOOK

There are lots of traditional ideas in the book, however there are many interesting updates. For those looking for pie recipes that are gluten-free or vegan, there are many tips on how to create these options. Along with the beautiful images, this is one fantastic reference book for anyone who loves to bake pies
Anyone who enjoys baking or who wants to start to bake pies this is the book for you. The opening begins with the tools you need then the different types of materials, sugar, flour, butter, lard, water, and all of the ingredients. Also, the types of pie plates and the different sizes of each and why each one is made the way they are.
She takes you through the reason why your dough may have come out wrong. You are shown pictures of good dough and then the different kinds if it is too wet, to dry, and whatever else could be wrong with it. You are walked through the different tops, edges, and just anything else you can think of. She also shows what you can do with the scraps that are leftover. One idea was making littles doughnuts.
There is so much to this book that my words do not give it justice but this book is worthy of cooks, bakers shelf. The pictures are great but the recipes and all of her little secrets are what make this book. She also has gluten-free and vegan recopies as well. A very good book. I received this book from Netgalley.com I gave it 5 stars. Follow us at www.1rad-readerreviews.com