Cover Image: Nazi Wives

Nazi Wives

I really enjoyed this book! I've always been intrigued by WW2 history, but this book in particular was interesting. It humanized the wives of Nazi leaders, while also unveiling the role they played in many of the horrors of the Nazi regime. Wyllie was well written, well researched & presented a deep picture - showing both the deep flaws & humanity of these women.
I’ve read a lot of historical fiction books about WWII since it is my favorite genre. The amount of research invested in the book is admirable. This book was a different take from what I normally read. The author does an amazing job of being fair and unbiased as he presents the lives of the women married to the men who played a part in Hitler's evil empire. However, the reader will find it hard not to make personal judgments. I continue to be astonished at how they viewed themselves as righteous and without fault. While the title leads you to believe the book is about the wives, it really focuses more on the men. It is still an interesting read.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Great historical nonfiction read! Highly recommend it to fans of the genre and those looking to expand their reading circle. Learn more about the wives of those in power in Nazi Germany. Purchasing for library.
I appreciate the publisher allowing me to read this book.very well researched and easy to read  I can't wait to do mire research on Nazi wives.
I found this book really interesting. It's not very often that you get an inside perspective from members of the Nazi party. It was very fascinating.
This is a Non-Fiction book about Nazi Wives some of it is about before WWII, some of it is during WWII, and of course some of it takes place after WWII ended. I found this book very interesting, and I really love that there was some pictures of them. I read a ton of WWII books (Non-fiction and Historical Fiction) and this is not like any one I have read before. It is a heavy read, but I have to say it was so worth the read. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (St. Martin's Press) or author (James Wyllie) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review about how I feel about this book, and I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
This book was fascinating. I've read a lot about Hitler and his inner circle and aside from Eva Braun most history books rarely if ever mention other women and if they do it is only to say that so-so Nazi official was married to so-so. This book does the opposite. Here it's all about the women who were married or were lovers of high Nazi officers. This read as a glossy society gossip magazine, with all the drama and jealousy one can imagine. It was interesting to read about the philanthropic and charitable actions of the women, while their husbands were killing millions of people either on the front lines or in the camps. Don't be confused, however, these women were no angels - their devotion to Hitler and Nazi ideas knew no limits even after the war ended and the world found out about the horrors committed in concentration camps. Almost all of them remained devoted followers until their deaths many decades later.
I knew very little of these Nazi women. Their stories are horrifying and brutal and very difficult to digest. The was a well-researched and well-written account of a very difficult subject matter.
Nazi Wives: The Women at the Top of Hitler’s Germany
James Wyllie
St. Martin’s Press, Nov 2020, 320 pages
Provided by Pub via Netgalley
Historical Novel
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I love the cover. The way the black and white photos of the women are arranged creates the appearance somewhat of a swastika without actually using one. It encloses the women and makes them complicit just as the men in Hitler’s group were, their husbands. They were just as bad as their husbands in the way they treated the people under their control.

Parts of this read like a novel and great parts of this read like history, so I’m calling it a historical novel, though I don’t think that’s how the author intended it. It appears to be well researched. Mr. Wylie was talking about the senior military wives and the young women socially in Hitler’s circle; well, he certainly went in circles. So much so that at times I wasn’t sure who he was talking about. Ilsa, Magda, Gerda, Hedwig, and the list goes on and on. So many for a man who was said to not feel comfortable around women. Well, Mr. Wylie rounds them all up and shines a light on many things that were never meant to see the light of day. And it wasn’t just the anti-semitism, but the total lack of caring for their fellow man. While others were living like animals, starving, they were demanding and getting French couture and perfumes, make-up and beauty supplies, wines and alcoholic beverages, and all their usual foods. They also had fully staffed houses, chauffeur driver cars, and bodyguards. Of course, their houses were staffed from the work camps and they could treat them any way they wished. When they wore out staff, they simply replaced them from the camp. No questions asked. No one cared. They not only betrayed their fellow man, but they also betrayed each other at times, their husbands. In the end, many of them ate cyanide capsules rather than face punishment. Others went through the process and wanted sympathy because they weren’t allowed to see their husbands while they were in prison. They were a strange group all told. The book was interesting if at times confusing as to who was who. It’s not a group I want to know any more about. Recommended.
My husband is a West Point Graduate, we were stationed in Germany during Reagan's determination to bring down the Berlin Wall. My husband had a Command of a Nuclear Detachment that had missiles pointed at Russia twenty - four hours a day. We lived in a small German village about an hour from the Alps, the reason for telling this is, I am not surprised by these Nazi wives! The people we lived beside are still pro Nazi, pro Hitler! They don't want anyone to believe six million Jews were murdered. I don't believe those women would have ever criticized Hitler, if he had kept winning! It is scary to realize how superior many Germans think they are! Josef Mengele's name, and family are splattered all over that part of the world, to this day! They are not ashamed in the least! I think Netflix should make a documentary on this book, show the absolute truth of these women who loved their privileges more than the murdering of innocent people!
I highly recommend! Thank you Netgalley!
carolintallahassee. com
Author James Wyllie published the book “Nazi Wives: The Women at the Top of Hitler's Germany” in 2020. This is Mr. Wyllie's this publication.

I categorize this novel as ‘G’. The book tells the story of the wives of key Nazi leaders. This includes Hess, Goering, Himmler, Bormann, Goebbels, Heydrich, and Ribbentrop. It also touches on Hitler's women, Eva Braun and Geli Raubal.

The book gives a more 'human' look to the Nazi leaders and their families. It covers the mistresses/girlfriends of the leaders in addition to their wives.

I enjoyed the 9 hours I spent reading this 281-page WWII history. I was not surprised to find that all of the women were believers in the Nazi cause. I think that the chosen cover art is appropriate. I give this book a 4 out of 5.

You can access more of my book reviews on my Blog ( https://johnpurvis.wordpress.com/blog/).

My book reviews are also published on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/31181778-john-purvis).
You don't always know what you're going to get when you pick up a historical non-fiction book. Will it be dry and read like a textbook? What kind of slant will it have? Will I actually learn something?

Nazi Wives was an interesting read that focused not only on the women behind the top men in the party but gave a different perspective to the story of the rise and fall of Hitler's movement. Some of the information I was already aware of but I still learned quite a bit. Also, some of those women were much more devoted to Hitler and his ideals than their husbands.

I read a good chunk of the book with my eyes but switched over to the audiobook and definitely recommend it. Either way, if you're interested in WWII history, you might want to put this one on your TBR list.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ebook!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. First of all, if you are interested in World War II or Nazi history, this is a must read. I have always been interested in the atrocities of the Nazi regime and consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the topic. BUT this book had tons of information I had never heard. In fact, I finished it in one sitting! The author was very detailed and researched the information very well, and the story of the Nazi wives has not been adequately told.
This is a look at the women behind the scenes during a pivotal time in the Holocaust. I found this book raw, heartbreaking and brave. The way the story is told was very interesting and different from many of the books I’ve previously read... How much did these women know? I did enjoy that you found out the after part of the women’s lives..It is  told in a different voice and it provided pictures ans quotes from various diaries... This book was very different from my previous Holocaust reads and I definitely recommend giving it a chance!  Although it was representing women and their role I still felt this book was told from a man’s POV and for that I gave it ⭐️⭐️👍 stars.
3.5-4 stars.

I received this ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

One of my favourite genres to read are books about WWII, so when I stumbled across this book I was instantly intrigued,This book focuses on the wives of the top Nazi/Hitler supporters.  Which is an angle I haven't read before.

It was very interesting to see how much influence they inevitably had over their husbands and more so Hitler.  The general disregard to the entire holocaust that they showed is downright scary. Only a few of the wives actually spoke up or perhaps thought that Hmm, this isn't right. But the majority didn't.  And why would they? They were getting money. They were living luxurious lives while the rest of the country were in shambles. Only when the war was getting out of Hitlers control, did they finally question (publicly).

I also, cannot believe how many people committed suicide/or attempted it. It seemed like every person at least thought about it, even carrying out infanticide as well.  That shocked me.

I thought that the punishment for the wives were not severe enough. There were some women who were HItler's right side woman, and they got off a little to easy, also always trying to redeem their husbands names. Claiming that they were only following out of love and obedience.  And I guess that is part of the scariness of it, This book was very well researched and had some great details about certain dinner parties- which makes these men and wives- very very human.

This book sparked an interest for me as well; I wonder how many of the children of these prominent figures denounced Nazism , or if they are still part of the Neo-Nazi movements.

James Wyllie did a great and very thorough job at researching the wives behind the men. If you are looking for a different viewpoint, definitely check out this book.
Fascinating look at a group of WW2 players I've really never given thought to.  Other than the usual Eva Braun, Magda Goebbels, and Goring's wives, I haven't ever read anything about these women. I believe they all got off pretty easy, far easier than they should have.  It was a good read about some power hungry, reviling women, their families and friends. This would make a great gift to anyone interested in WW2 and also a good addition to a collection.
Thank you to St Martin's Press and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a good book detailing the relationships between Hitler, his top commanders and their wives. I've often wondered if the  military wives had any idea of the activities their husbands were involved if and if so, how much did they know about what was happening. The answer is,  that they were just as responsible for as their husbands were.  They were just as power hungry and encouraged the men in their lives to aspire to be as close to Hitler as possible.
Really interesting read that held my interest and disgusted me at the same time.
tw: incest-ish (niece/uncle relationship), suicide (graphically described), death by illness, attempted suicide, assault, sexual harassment and assault, drug abuse, domestic abuse, toxic relationships, cheating, anti semitisim, violence against jews, mentions of the concentration camps, misogyny, severe illness, forced euthanasia, medical experiments done without consent

As you all might know, I am a huge World War II buff. I read just about anything relating to World War II. It’s one of my favorite periods of history to study because there is just so much to it. So when I was surfing Netgalley, instead of reading all the books I own, I saw this book. I don’t hear a lot about the wives of Hitler’s top men so I thought this would be a nice change of pace from my usual World War II books I read. Plus it’s from my all time favorite publisher, St Martin’s Press. So I knew that I would like this book.

One of the things I look for in nonfiction books is readability. Is the book easy to read? Am I understanding the information that is being presented to me? I’m going to say yes but with exceptions. I was able to understand what was happening but that was because of my extensive knowledge in World War two. I’m not bragging but simply stating that I know quite a bit about World War two. If someone who was just starting out with World War two was diving into this book, they would be so lost. While the author does take time to explain what is happening on the warfront, it seemed to me that they expected you to have some sort of understanding of World War two.

But if I am being honest, there were times where I was a bit lost but that was because of the names. All the names were similar sounding or the same. There were about six wives or so that I had to try and keep track of. I think at one point, I just restarted the book and I found that helped a lot.

But I did learn a lot. I learned that the wives got off way too easy. I was absolutely infuriated that they got almost no time in prison. They should have been punished just as severely as their husbands, especially a couple of them. They all had a hand in Hitler’s world and they deserved to be punished.

Overall, this was a good book. I learned a lot about the wives, as they often aren't mentioned in a lot of World War two books. I think it’s a great book to check out if you want to expand your knowledge about World War two.
Nazi Wives:The Women at the Top of Hitler’s Germany by James Wyllie
Genre - Non Fiction
Format - Ebook
5 out of 5 stars

This book is a very thorough look into what the wives of the top German officials went through! The brainwashing is just amazing and how they believed in the Nazi cause themselves is utterly mind blowing.

I love to read books about World War 2 but this one just blew me away. It talks about how the women ended up in the Nazi movement and their early years. It talks about how they each met and married their husbands and stood behind them unwavering without any thought to what their husbands were actually doing.

Hate is shown so clearly in this book even the children were taught to hate. In these times we live in I would strongly recommend this book. It shows how hating a certain type, race, or even political party can erode people and split countries in two pieces!

I will not say more as to not ruin the book but it should be on everyone’s to be read pile.
Wow this book really was amazing! A look into histories most evil time and inside the personal loved of the women who married men who were Nazi soldiers. I will say it's a deep read as it's based on true events and I did enjoy the photos as well as the real history in it. I really did enjoy it as I learned things I didn't know and find that the author really put a lot into it. I highly recommend to those that love historical reads.