Cover Image: Common Goal

Common Goal

Ok so I can't say that I loved this one. I just liked parts of it. Eric is the older goalie on the team who has just gotten divorced and is ready to explore the things he feel's like he missed out on. Kyle is the younger man who is a good friend of the main character in a previous book. They were cute and sweet together, but I just felt like something was missing. I don't know, I had a hard time even getting into this one which really surprised me. There were just a lot of things that got on my nerves. The age gap thing was one of them because I really don't feel like that should have been a major issue. I honestly felt like Eric never being with a man before should have been more of an issue than it was, it was almost like it was glossed over in my opinion. I don't know, some things felt rushed and other things felt like they dragged out for me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't to my liking.
COMMON GOAL is one of those books you only put down under duress and think about constantly while you’re away from it. Rachel Reid delivers a slow burn romance packed with humour, complex emotional responses, realistic obstacles, strong friendships, and sports. The whole thing sparkles. My soul turns into a great big gush of exclamation marks whenever I think back on it, like so: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 stars
Rainbows and Sunshine
September 21, 2020

This is the fourth book in the series and can be read as a standalone. I have mixed feelings about this one. I loved the writing style and the banter between Kyle and Eric .

✔ Age Gap
✔Sports Romance
✔Friends to lovers
✔No strings attached
✔Slow  burn
✔ Dual POV
✔Super hot sex

I was a bit annoyed by the back and forth between the MCs because of the age gap. It was a constant hurdle and I kept wondering why they cared that much about age. They are both adults, for fuck's sake.

Loved the friendships in this book. Scott and Kip are best friends of the MCs and I do hope that I get around reading their book someday.

We get cameos from Ilya and Shane!!! I'm sorry but Ilya will forever be my favourite. Did I pick this up because I knew he was going to be in it? Yes, I did! Hopefully the magic will be back when it comes to their next book because I keep comparing each book to Heated Rivalry.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review
4 Stars!

This one has to be my second favorite in the series so far. My number one favorite still belongs to Heated Rivalry.

I was really hoping that Kyle would end up in one of these books. He had a part in book one and I ended up liking him.

Kyle has a thing for older men. They just really do it for him. He hasn't had much luck with them in the past though and one in particular really messed up his life and his heart. Now he's more cautious and has tried to stay away from the men he's most attracted to. But one man keeps coming around and catching his eye. But that man is a hockey player and has wedding ring on his finger. So he should be way off limits but Kyle is pretty sure this guy is interested. Though Kyle has no interest in starting anything with a married man. Not again.

Eric has come to a couple big decisions after a year of being divorced. One: He is ready to retire. Two: He is ready to explore his attraction to men. Both are scary endeavors for him. He doesn't have any idea what life holds for him after hockey but he knows it's time to hang up the skates. When it comes to dating men, there is only on man who keeps catching his eye. Kyle.

Kyle and Eric have different reasons why they are weary about starting anything with each other. Eric because he is hung up on the age difference. But he admits to himself that he has feelings for Kyle. Kyle knows who he is and how he is and just knows he will probably be the one heartbroken at the end.

These were the perfect match. Eric is just so refined and put together where Kyle is flirty and still unsure about his future. Eric is shy, quiet, and a bit lonely. Kyle is more laid back, outgoing, and free spirited. They were completely opposites which completely made them work. They had amazing chemistry.

As usual in these stories it takes them a bit to get it right. But I didn't mind the wait nor the story of how they got there.

Happy reading dolls! xx

I was given an ARC by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
COMMON GOAL is the fourth instalment in Rachel Reid’s contemporary, adult, GAME CHANGERS erotic, LGBTQ, (MM) hockey romance series. This is New York Admirals goalie, forty-one year old, Eric Bennett, and twenty-five year old, bartender/ graduate student Kyle Swift’s story line.  COMMON GOAL can be read as a stand alone without any difficulty. Any important information from the previous instalments is revealed where necessary. Kyle and Eric first appeared in book one Game Changer.

NOTE: COMMON GOAL is an age-gap, LGBTQ romance with graphic scenes of same sex scenarios that may not be suitable for all readers.

Told from dual third person perspectives (Kyle and Eric) COMMON GOAL follows the building romance and relationship between is New York Admirals goalie, forty-one year old, Eric Bennett, and twenty-five year old, bartender/ graduate student Kyle Swift. Eric Bennett is a bisexual man but has only ever had sexual relationships with women. Recently divorced, Eric has thought about his attraction to men but especially his attraction to bartender Kyle Swift, a young man whose obsession with Eric’s teammate Scott is slowly dying since Scott’s engagement to Kyle’s co-worker Kip. Coming out to Kyle, Eric found himself in a friends with benefits arrangement when Eric claimed he had no experience with the same $ex. What ensues is the building romance and relationship between Kyle and Eric, and the potential fall-out as Eric struggles with their age-difference.

Eric Bennett is a man close to the end of his professional career, and falling for Kyle Swift left Eric feeling old and tired but with no experience with gay $ex, Eric jumped at Kyle’s offer to teach Eric about $ex with a younger man. Kyle Swift didn’t care about their age difference but in an effort to get to know Eric better, Kyle offered to find Eric a partner but found himself falling in love with our story line hero.

There is a definite lack of communication between both men that exacerbated the proverbial ‘elephant in the room’ especially as it pertained to Eric’s issues with their age difference (ad nauseam), and his need to keep Kyle in the friend zone.  The $ex scenes are intimate, erotic and passionate.

There is a large ensemble cast of colorful secondary and supporting characters including Scott and Kip (Game Changer #1), Ilya Rozanov (Heated Rivalry #2), teammates Matti Jalo, Carter Vaughan, Kyle’s roommate Maria, and Eric’s friend and gallery owner Jeanette.

COMMON GOAL is a story of secrets, friendships and relationships.  The character driven premise inviting and imaginative; the characters are spirited and inspiring; the romance is edgy and spicy.  COMMON GOAL looks at the psychological side of coming out but stays clear of the social and professional repercussions that many professional athletes experience following such pronouncement.

THE READING CAFÉ: http://www.thereadingcafe.com/common-goal-game-changers-4-by-rachel-reid-a-review/

GOODREADS: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3440701396

AMAZON. COM: https://www.amazon.com/review/RJPVBUIWTFUDI/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8

BOOKBUB: https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/222971000

CHAPTERS/INDIGO (Sandy_At_The_Reading_Cafe)posted

Ibooks (Sandy Sch) posted

GOOGLE PLAY (Sandy Sch) posted
Rachel Reid loves hockey and her love for the game shines through each book in this series. This story features 41-year-old goalie Eric Bennett, who has all the quirks and superstitions most goalies have—including talking to his goal posts. And when I thought about it, I realized that makes sense. Who else is a goalie going to talk to? It was easy to be smitten with Eric right from the beginning.

Eric and his wife divorced last year and he’s ready to embrace his bisexuality, but doesn’t know where to start. Enter flirty bartender, Kyle Swift. Both characters grabbed my heartstrings and wove me around theirs for the full ride of Eric’s last hockey season and his first foray into sex with a man. Fit, muscular, a silver fox who does yoga to center himself and follows a healthy vegetarian diet, there’s not much to dislike about Eric other than his propensity to doubt himself, disparage his age gap with Kyle, and distrust his ability to make Kyle happy for more than a momentary fling.

Kyle can’t believe the stunning man who accompanied Scott Hunter to the bar a few times is real. But after flirting a bit, Kyle spots Eric’s wedding band and that’s it for him. Kyle has been burned—badly a few times and is not interested in more pain with a married man. Not, that is, until he finds out Eric is leaving the ring on because he’s superstitious about removing it, and then Kyle is all-in with becoming Eric’s coach—and not for hockey. Friends with benefits, no-strings attached sex lessons become time spent together and learning to enjoy all New York has to offer: art and history and cozy little restaurants. Unfortunately, the author used both miscommunication and lack of communication to keep the men apart. Yes, it’s a good tool for an author to consider, but no, it’s not one I enjoy in my romance books where everything else clicks.

The sex scenes where Kyle teaches Eric everything from hand jobs to oral to use of toys, edging, and more were hot, creative, humorous, and intense. But their time together in other activities showed the bond the two men shared and the love that was building between them. If only they could see what the author let readers see. Sigh.

A few cameos from Ilya Rozanov, my all-time favorite hockey player, were the cherry on top of this beautiful ice cream sundae… err… romance. This is definitely one of my favorites this year, though Ilya and Shane’s story, Heated Rivalry, will likely never be knocked from their top position in my heart. This is highly recommended if you like age gap, sexual discovery, virgins, men over 40, friends to lovers, hockey, and m/m love.
This is the fourth book in the Game Changers series. I really loved this book and have enjoyed the whole series. The characters were wonderful with all their hang-ups about age and their worthiness of being in a relationship. It also deals with the emotions of retiring from a sport you have played for many years. The pace was spot on and hard to put down. I do feel you could read this book as a stand-alone, but in my opinion it is better read as part of the series.
It’s been a while since I read a book this fast. I was completely captivated by Common Goal. I was totally in love with Eric. He was such a sweetheart and his chemistry with Kyle was off the hook.

The book wasn’t perfect. The lack of communication between the characters was very annoying but somehow I couldn’t spot reading. I would have love to have another chapter before the epilogue, to see Eric and Kyle as a couple. The ending felt a little rushed.

And, obviously, every scene with Ilya was awesome, amazing and magnificent. Heated Rivalry is one of my favorite books and now I to do a reread :)
I have a new favorite Rachel Reid book and it is Common Goal. Eric and Kyle had me swooning non-stop, as individuals and as a couple. I absolutely loved the growth and confidence that Eric gained with his sexuality and learning to embrace and explore it. And I highly highly appreciated the demi representation we get with Eric. Reid mailed it perfectly, without being in your face about the representation and making it a huge deal, it was just part of who Eric was, and it made my heart so happy. Kyle is a delightful character whom I would dare anyone not to love. His journey into feeling worthy of love with the right person was so lovely to behold. Together the two of them are combustible, sweet and charming. I loved the absolute depth of their friendship turned romance. It was also great seeing Scotty and Kip and cameos from Shane and Ilya. This is definitely my favorite in the series so far and I am very curious to know who comes next!
Common Goal is the fourth entry in Reid’s hockey romance series, and while I don’t think you have to have read all the previous books, it might help to be familiar with the first one, Game Changer, because the main characters play a fairly large role in this story.

It’s an age gap romance, with soon-to-retire goalie Eric falling for Kyle, who is 16 years his junior. The difference in their ages is the main point of conflict in the book. Eric believes he’s much too old for Kyle, while Kyle tries his best to resist his feelings for Eric, since his relationships with older men have all ended unhappily. Eric and Kyle are very compatible in most ways, though, including a shared appreciation for art, and true love of course won’t be denied.

Reid makes the story more interesting by turning the older/younger man dynamic on its head in a couple of ways. Eric has never acknowledged his bisexuality, and he feels unsure about being involved with a man, so Kyle becomes his mentor in the gay world. When they decide to take that mentorship into the territory of “friends with benefits,” control freak Eric discovers that he loves giving up control in the bedroom, so Kyle takes the lead in the physical side of their relationship, too.

Mostly I enjoyed reading about Eric and Kyle’s romance, but it did drag a little bit. Eric’s insistence that he was too old got a little tiresome at times, especially since his interactions with Kyle so clearly contradicted him. Also, it’s very much a story where a little bit of open communication would go a long way.

Overall, I liked it, though. I’m not sure if Reid has other books planned for this series or not, but I’m hoping for more.

A copy of this book was provided through NetGalley for me to review; all opinions expressed are my own.
Eric is a forty-one-year-old NHL player. He admitted to Kyle he's bi and wants to explore, wants to go out. Kyle and  Eric have some mutual friends and Kyle will help and introduce him to the gay scene and who knows maybe even find him a hook up. Kyle wants to find himself also a guy. Not with each other, nooo, Eric is looking for someone not too young thirty maybe.  Poor Kyle he's only twenty-five.
They decide to be friends. When Kyle offers himself as the one where Eric could sexually practice with they start friends with benefits. And Kyle will still lookout for a guy for Eric. Sounds great right? So not. They have the best time together and it will never be more, because hey, thirty-plus right!

I loved this story, the pace was good, it was entertaining and with enough emotions. Quite lovable characters, with Kyle as a bright star. The time they spent together was nice to watch.
It took them a long time to get where they wanted to be, at the end I wished some more resistance before giving in.
Overall a funny, sexy, enjoyable narrative!
Eric has been the goalie for the New York Admirals for his entire professional hockey career. Now that he’s turning 41, he knows that this is his last season, but he’s not ready to tell his teammates. He’s also finally acknowledging his bisexuality, and now that he’s been divorced for a year, he’s ready to explore this new facet of himself.

Enter Kyle, a grad student who he knows through mutual friends. Kyle offers to help Eric learn how to date guys, which includes low-pressure introduction to the physical aspect of dating. Yes, that’s right, fucking lessons. It’s supposed to be a casual no-strings-attached friendly offer, but of course, they both catch feelings almost immediately. But there’s an age gap to consider, and Kyle doesn’t do relationships, so that’s a bit of a problem.

The first thing readers should know is that although this is the fourth book in a series, it does function well enough as a standalone. However, and I cannot stress this enough, readers ought to read the first three books before reading this one. To begin with, the New York Admirals are also featured in Game Changer, the first book in the series, and both Eric and Kyle play secondary roles in that book.

But wait, there’s more! Heated Rivalry, the second book features Ilya Rozanov, who appears in every book in the series like a trickster god, imparting wisdom along with a hearty dose of snark and derision. Ilya always manages to steal the show in every book, even when it’s not even his book. He’s doing it right now because here I am, in Eric and Kyle’s book, talking about ILYA instead of the actual stars.

Anyway, I digress. The TLDR of all that is that readers will gain a more thorough appreciation of the characters if they have the additional background info. But like I said, this book functions perfectly well as a standalone. Eric and Kyle have this intense chemistry from the very beginning, and their edging scene is one of the hottest sex scenes I’ve ever read.

Good sex is good, but it can’t sustain a relationship—or rather, a NSA casual situation—but Eric and Kyle have amazing banter, and this book had me laughing the entire time. I also loved the way that Kyle made creative mocktails for Eric, who doesn’t drink. I mean, I loved everything about this book, but I’m trying to summarize the highlights in less than 600 words.

Oh, yeah, there are some great hockey scenes as well. Silly me, how could I have forgotten to talk about hockey in the queer hockey romance? Eric might be a goalie, so the action scenes are more about focusing and getting the save rather than thrilling breakaways, but they’re just as exciting to read… and it’s extra cute to see Kyle, who has never cared about hockey, becoming a rabid fan almost immediately.

I would absolutely recommend Common Goal. Rachel Reid is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, judging by the way I inhaled this book over the course of a weekend. All of her books have earned their place in my re-read pile. As of right now, there are two more books planned for this series, so I’ll be over here, eagerly waiting for them, and maybe one day, I’ll get around to writing my review of Heated Rivalry.

I received a copy of this book from Carina Press/NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I love this book so much, it's the only book in 2020 that caused me entirely zero amount of anxiety while reading it. It is so amazing and I need to reread it before I can write a review it deserves.
Included as a top pick in bimonthly September New Releases post, which highlights and promotes upcoming releases of the month (link attached).
I’ve enjoyed the Game Changers series, and while book two is still my favorite, Common Goal was a great addition to the series and definitely worth the read.

Opposites attract is a perennial favorite trope of mine and I really liked how Kyle and Eric complimented and contrasted with each other in Common Goal. Kyle’s flirty, suggestive side was just enough to be entertaining and offer a bright counterpoint to Eric’s normally quiet, pensive approach. Even better, both characters were multi-layered and I enjoyed getting to see all their sides as the book progressed and they grew comfortable with one another. I also liked the approach to Eric’s bi-awakening and the way he (and Kyle) explored his sexual identity. The pace was measured, enough interest and chemistry between Eric and Kyle to hook me but slow enough to allow the emotions time to build as the story progressed. There was a bit of the dreaded lack of communication as the main source of conflict and tension between Kyle and Eric. Although the reasoning for both characters’ hesitation was noted and believable, it’s a pet peeve of mine that always dulls the shine of a romance for me. Happily, Kyle and Eric finally hashed it out and I did enjoy the resolution quite a bit. As with the other books in the series, Common Goal has great heat with good physical chemistry between the men. For those like me who want their sports romance to include the sport on page, Common Goal has a good amount of hockey in it, picking up on the quirky personalities of goalies and the comradery among teammates.

Overall, I really liked that both Eric and Kyle were original and I thought they had a good chemistry. While I wished there had been more open communication between them over the course of the story, Common Goal is a good bi-awakening hockey romance with polished writing I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.
Common Goal features Eric Bennett and Kyle Swift, characters that both appeared in book one of the series, Game Changer. Eric is a 41 year old goaltender who is recently divorced and finally ready to further explore his bisexuality. Kyle is a 25 year old bartender at Kingfisher (the bar Kip works at and Scott likes going to) and a student earning his masters in art history. After bonding over a shared love of art, they realize there is a spark between them and Kyle offers to be Eric's teacher as he navigates the new to him work of dating men.

A classic case of friends with benefits turning into "whoops, I caught feelings." This book was sweet and incredibly sexy. The way they talk about and ensure consent (go Kyle!) is *chefs kiss* brilliant and shows that it can be a sexy and empowering part of intimacy. The chemistry and connection between the two is clearly evident throughout the book, despite both of them trying to deny that there is anything more between them than some friendship and a few good times.

Overall, while it doesn't beat Ilya and Shane in Heated Rivalry (can anything?), this was an enjoyable continuation of the series. I also loved the glimpses of Ilya and Shane that we got in this book and was thrilled when I saw that book 6 will be another book focused on them. Can't wait!
Eric and Kyle have to navigate a number of obstacles -- some small (Eric still wears his wedding ring), some more hazardous (how to take the next step from friends with benefits), but mostly this is a hot, fun hockey story, with cameos from all the stars of the previous books.

It's another age difference story (Eric's 41 to Kyle's 25), which appear to be on trend at the minute. To be honest, I am ready to move on from this trope. But it's a valid concern on both their parts. Can Kyle be happy with staid, healthy disciplined Eric? Will Eric ever see Kyle as more than a 'kid'?

I liked the bits about Art, and Kylie's frustration with the bar where he works. These elements fit in nicely around all the sexy times, the hockey games and the angst about growing feelings.

The conclusion is epic. Highly satisfying. If you have been on the journey so far with Rachel Reid, you'll want to keep going.

Thanks Carina Press and Netgalley for advanced copy. Comes out on September 26. Bring on the next one.
🏒Ice at work & a newly-discovered taste for 🔥fire after hours

4-4.5🌟stars
This was my first time reading a Rachel Reid MM sports romance and I was pretty impressed.  Especially with the character she created in veteran goalie Eric.  Eric just does not resemble the hockey player stereotype and that's why he was so appealing to me.

Eric explores his long disguised attraction for men with Kyle, a much younger student/bartender who's had some disheartening experiences with older men but still gravitates to Eric.  This story has frequent and detailed steamy scenes, including some experimenting with restraints.  Despite the way the guys open up to each other sexually, they have real difficulty talking with each other about their true emotions which leads to rocky patches.

In addition to Eric's insecurity about seeing a much younger man,  Eric's facing the end of his career on the ice as his age and injuries are catching up to him despite his healthy lifestyle.  I really found this part of the story touching.

I thought the writing was good, the plot compelling and the romance sizzlin'🔥.  I can see myself reading other books in the series, but this story is a standalone; no cliffhanger in sight.

Thanks to Carina Press and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.
I generally avoid books with a larger than I'm comfortable with age gap, but I'm glad I picked this one up. Eric and Kyle were really sweet together and I loved how they each learned something from the other. I've really been enjoying Rachel Reid books and I'm looking forward to what comes next.
Spicy, steamy, and romantic!

Common Goal is a passionate, lighthearted, sports romance featuring the playful, outgoing Kyle, who is adamant about keeping things casual but more than happy to help a mature, sexy, hockey player explore his attraction to men, and the sweet, thoughtful Eric, who is ready for something more but definitely not with someone fifteen years his junior.

The writing is sultry and sincere. The characters are insecure, charming, and appealing. And the plot is a tantalizing mix of palpable attraction, unquenchable lust, sizzling chemistry, friendship, temptation, desire, drama, sexy times, and hockey.

Overall, Common Goal is a fervent, tender, seductive treat by Reid that is another wonderful addition to what is ultimately turning out to be an absolutely fantastic Game Changers series.