Cover Image: The Lost Manuscript

The Lost Manuscript

A quick and cute read about a literary mystery. I didn’t love the format it’s written in - which is letters written between the characters - and I think it’s because it didn’t give the characters the depth they deserved, when we only get to hear their voices in letters.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. What would you do if you found a manuscript in the nightstand in your hotel room. Like most people I would read it. This book took on a journey that I enjoyed. I cant wait to read Cathy Bonadin's next book.
First of all - this was such a nice book to read. It is full of idea richness and guides you to find the answer somewhere in the story quick and slow at the same time. That's how it felt to me - you want to finish it to find that last piece of puzzle but you also want to savour it so you can keep it somewhere near your heart and always on your mind.

This book is written in a form of letters where an array of different characters come together and change each other lives and discover that meaning of life - at  least what life means to them. They do that whilst looking for an author of a manuscript.

As the description on the cover states this whole book is like a puzzle that you have to solve and you just must read it fast because the story itself lures you with its short chapters and you are so engrossed in the novel.

I have to give a huge praise for the translator Emma Ramadan that translated this book from French. She did a marvelous job and you honestly can't feel that something is missing in the English version.

I loved the fact that all the characters are different age, different professions, interesting life choices and definite connection to that book that makes this a lovely read.

And since this book is a 'book of life' somehow you don't expect the suspense part of it. And it just fits right perfectly there, from one page to another, and it leads you to some unbelievable but yet truly believable happenings in life.

How it all comes together is a perfect way of finishing a joy of this book that makes you think about yourself and those around you - but not in a regrettable way, but a reflective one.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin Press for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
What a lyrical novel!  Took us on a journey with Unexpected twists and turns. Characters, relationships and places were well developed and likable.  Whatnot to visit all of the places described in this book.
What a wonderful book! The author's style is wonderful and easy to follow. She has created interesting, well fleshed out characters. I found myself connecting to them which made me very interested in the actual plot. It was a quick read and it moved fast. I personal enjoy novels with characters who write letters back and forth.  It brings a realism to the book. I absolutely loved it and definitely recommend reading it.

I would like to thank Cathy Bonidan, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for allowing me read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
The Lost Manuscript, is a beautiful story about a group of strangers who become a family while solving the mysteries of a 30 year old love novel.

This story has absolutely ruined me in the best possible way. I know a story told by letters is not for everyone but I devoured the book, and was completely heartbroken when it was over. I needed to read more about the characters and I’m trying to not spoil the book, but I was so invested in their lives that I just wasn’t satisfied for it to end. Also if this is truly based on a true story I need the name of manuscript, I would love to read the story that brought all those people together.
Sad to say, I struggled to read and finish this book. I did finish it but found it disjointed and lacking any great substance.
"It turns out that the author in question had not finished his story and the ending was in fact written by a stranger, perhaps the person who stayed in room 128 before me."

Anne-Lise Briard checks into her room at the Beau Rivage Hotel, where she is staying during her vacation to the Brittany Coast. She goes into the nightstand to find something to read and finds a manuscript. She finishes the first half and comes across an address that may belong to the author, so she writes a letter. She writes a letter about finding the manuscript and how much she loved it. The author, surprisingly and surprisingly quickly, writes her back. The author is thankful the manuscript has been found after 30 years of being lost and informs Anne-Lise that the second half of the manuscript was written by another author. This is what kicks off the rest of Anne-Lise's journey. She is determined to track down all of the hands who touched the manuscript to ascertain who wrote the second half.

The Lost Manuscript is a really quick read. It is told entirely in letter format which I don't read very much of, so I was excited once I got into this story and realized this format would be laying out the story for me.

"I'm sure there are many of us who are still holding on to the memory of interrupted love affairs, left dreaming of what might have come next, unable to live it." The book has some beautifully written passages. It is definitely a book for booklovers so if you like those kinds of reads, I definitely recommend it. Personally, I felt the beginning half held my attention way more than the second half. I can't pinpoint the shift, but I think at one point I found it a little hard to remember who was who, and what their connection was and after that, my excitement dwindled. I will have to give it a reread once it releases because I feel like this book should have been a five star read.
The book has promising story idea, but the pacing is slow. The characters need to be flushed out little more. Author could have explored more whatifs.
The actual writing itself is wonderful and easy to follow, but I really struggled with the characters themselves. They just seemed a bit unrealistic to me. It was hard to feel connected to them which made me uninterested as a whole in the actual plot. It's a quick read and moves fast, though, and if you enjoy novels where the characters write letters back and forth, you'll enjoy this one.

Thank you NetGalley and the publishers for letting me read this in exchange for an honest review.
The premise drew me in right away. A secret/unknown collaboration of a book?! So cool! This story is told in a letter format and documents the journey as more and more people are involved or are involved again with this lost manuscript.

Honestly, this letter writing format, although sweet and made me want to be more with physically writing letters (ps: SAVE THE USPS), wasn't particularly my favorite style to read.  It felt chunky, but I understand how it progresses this novel in a way that is more personal and more involved with each character's thoughts. This format was also great for slowly revealing each of the character's personalities and hardships, a much more realistic pace of understanding a stranger. Just not my cup of tea.

Otherwise, this story was definitely interesting in that it touches upon so many other facets of life that I didn't think would be involved in a seemingly lighthearted, contemporary fiction novel. From elderly loneliness to criminalization stereotypes, this story tackles so much more than a lost story. This story is also a fun mystery of sorts that you get to discover more of with every letter.
The Lost Manuscript by Cathy Bonidan
Longhand writing is going to become a thing of the past. Stationary is only going to be used as staying completely still, not as a piece of beautiful paper to write correspondence to a friend. It’s sad how our lives have become only a technological community. New generations don’t know how to socialize or look people in the face.
This book represents what we are losing and what we could gain by putting ourselves out there. Just the other day I had a wonderful conversation with a woman in South Africa and gave her my home address and she has already responded with her address and no it was not a scammer. I was having problems with a Amazon issue which she resolved with great aplomb.
Anyways, I have already sent a letter to her and hopefully she will respond in kind to tell me of her country.
This book is remarkable about trust and loyalty and opening up. It’s also about saying your sorry!
Needless to say I recommend this book and the author kept me turning the pages to see who read the manuscript next and how it affected them. I know the book has affected me!

Thank you to the authors and publishers who work so diligently for us the readers.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
Such a sweet story. Loved this one!

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
An absolutely beautiful book with pages upon pages of lyrical words and phrases winding through story after story. It’s all intertwined to solve a 30-year-old mystery and I was so sad to see it end! I would have loved more to the ending! Where are more details of Anne-Lise or David or Laura?! Highly suggest you take a chance on this one!

I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martins Press for this ARC.

This is a book about a partially completed manuscript that was found 30 years later in a completed state and in a mysterious location.

The book was chaptered as handwritten letters between characters that had possession of the book at one time.   I actually enjoyed how the story unfolded as we got to know each writer better through their letter and got clues about the manuscript’s journey.

This was much more interesting than I anticipated (and described). Book lovers should like this one.
I loved this mystery revealed in exchanged letters.

On vacation, Anne-Lise Briard looks for something to read in her hotel room and finds a manuscript left in a bedside drawer. She sends the pages to an address she finds halfway through, trying to locate the author.

The recipient replies, saying he lost the piece on an airplane decades ago. He confesses, however, that he wrote only half of what she sent him and doesn’t know who finished it.

We’re sent on an entrancing journey as Anne-Lise writes anyone who may have seen the manuscript, and finds it has impacted many lives in profound ways. The ending will truly surprise you as the unknown author is finally revealed.

THE LOST MANUSCRIPT is a charming read, especially for those who adore books, lovely letters, and romance. Why, that’s everyone I know!

4 of 5 Stars

Pub Date 12 Jan 2021

Thanks to the author, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheLostManuscript
DNF. This novel is written in a letter format and I just couldn't connect with the characters in a way that encouraged me to continue through the story. This was a bummer as I found the initial description of the plot to be incredibly interesting and unique. I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the tale of a longlost manuscript rediscovered and attempts to trace its path. I found this to be a somewhat cumbersome read. The writing style of the letters, while old-fashioned and reminiscent of both letter writing of the past and popular 19th century authors, seemed a bit laborious in a 20th century context and I found it hard to follow the story and absorb details.

I couldn’t get attached to the characters either, although I feel that I should have, so the story mostly plodded along for me.

I think this could be a wonderful book if you like this particular writing style and while I loved the letter-writing format and the jaunts around Europe, those were the highlights for me.
I absolutely loved this book. The story was so original, the characters were loveable. I'm so glad I read this book, I flew through it in a day!
The Lost Manuscript by Cathy Bonidan is an excellent story that draws the reader along a path of correspondents all crossing paths due to one simple manuscript.

I loved that this book was written solely in written letters. I love when the intricate plot of a novel is unraveled in the form of a letter. Something that seems so simple becomes fascinating and intimate. Somehow it is easier to unearth emotions and express innermost thoughts when one is able to place it into a well-thought letter.

The concept of Anne-Lise Briard finding a manuscript in a hotel and in the process of seeking answers and its owner, crossing paths with many people that she would have never encountered, therefore all involved affecting and altering one another’s lives is fascinating.

I loved meeting each character and seeing each evolve and unwrap. It was a wonderful journey to be a part of.

5/5 stars

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon and B&N accounts upon publication.