Cover Image: A Christmas Resolution

A Christmas Resolution

A Christmas Resolution by Anne Perry  4 stars

This is the annual Christmas story from Anne Perry and we visit the world of William Monk that has been sorely missed.  This book features Detective John Hooper and his wife Celia in a short Christmas mystery involving Clementime, Celia's friend.  Clementine has agreed to marry Seth Marlowe, a judgemental, disagreeable man.  There is a mystery surrounding the death of his first wife and he accuses Celia of sending him poison pen letters.  In self-defense, Hooper looks into the first wife's death in order to find the letter writer.  The mystery is short and engaging and the cameo appearance of William Monk, a delight.  All together, a nice evening read for a winter's night.

Thank you Netgalley and Ballantine Books for this ARC.
Novella with themes of kindness, redemption, and truthfulness all rolled into a mystery. Mysterious nasty letters have started coming to to a self righteous religious man and he wants someone to blame, so he threatens a women who is friends with his betrothed with causing gossip and retribution against her. The problem is she's not the one who sent them, and she doesn't take kindly to his threats, and decides she needs to find out who did send them. The story is a good mystery with lots of revelations of the characters involved. I recieved an ARC from Netgalley and the publishers for an honest opinion.
I liked the characters, the setting and the mystery. I haven't read anything with these characters so was a nice introduction to them. From what I gather they would be secondary characters in the Monk books.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is a sweet story set in a charming English village.

The characters are sympathetic, and this book is a good fit for the upcoming holiday season.
Set in a small English village in the late 19th century, this story begins shortly before Christmas. In a season of happiness, forgiveness, and goodwill, Celia appears to be experiencing the exact opposite. Her best friend, Clementine, tells her that she has accepted a marriage proposal from Seth Marlowe. Celia knows she should be happy for Clementine, but she has serious misgivings about Seth's character. Clementine's fiancé is a mean spirited and self righteous widower who has made a serious and threatening accusation against Celia.  Celia's husband, who is a police officer, sets out to investigate.

Although the story is not strictly a Christmas story, and I could guess the ending, I honestly did enjoy reading the mystery!  Themes of friendship, forgiveness, kindness, and truth are incorporated throughout. There is a vivid sense of place, likable characters, and a satisfying conclusion which, coincidentally, happens on Christmas Day.

Thank you to NetGalley, author Anne Perry, and Ballantine Books for giving me an opportunity to read the ARC of this mystery!
Ms. Perry has written another excellent book. The plot is good and has well developed characters and has a holiday theme. It is heartwarming and has a good twist.
Many thanks to Random House Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I requested to read and review this book from Ballantine Books. This is the second book I have read by author Anne Perry and it was amazing.  This book has a lot of twists and turns. There is many emotions to the book sadness anger, shock, happiness and more. Celia determination to help a friend and her husband Hooper that believes in her to help.  Flavia and Clementine have amazing strength. The ending was a perfect Christmas gift!! This for any type of reader. It can be read any time of the year.
"A Christmas Resolution" by Anne Perry
I chose to read this story for the change of pace reading a Historical Mystery would provide.  I have read this author before and was sure I would enjoy my time within her story.  Since it was a change of genre for me from what I had been reading lately; it did take me a bit to get into the rhythm of this story.  I found myself holding my breath from time to time as the tension was building up.  There were lots of bits and pieces shared.  I kept trying to determine how they would fit together when the all the pieces were finally gathered together and the puzzle was solved.  I did get some things right, but some of my guesses were truly wrong.  Hope you enjoy this story as much as I did.  Happy Reading !!
Note: I received an ARC of this story from the publisher via NetGalley  with the expectation I would post my honest review.
This was more like a short story, well written but short.  I did enjoy the story and thought I'd read all of Anne Perry's books but this was written like it could have been the next chapter in the story of Hooper and Cecila.  It stood on it;s own but it feels like there is more to their story.  I never would have predicted the daughter coming to the story but it made for a good ending.
Anne Perry's Christmas novellas always center around the secondary characters from the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt and William Monk series. Now that the Monk series appears to be on hiatus, and the Pitt series has migrated to the Edwardian age and shifted its focus to Thomas's son, these Christmas stories provide us with an opportunity to revisit our old friends. While the stories are not as fleshed out as the full-blown novels, they do provide the readers with a pleasant holiday-themed evening of reading.

This novella focuses on John Hooper's wife, Celia, from the William Monk series. Her friend Clementine has become engaged to a man named Seth Marlowe. Celia and Seth have a bitter history, and she fears that her friend is making a big mistake. The mystery centers around Marlowe's past and his first marriage.

Without giving anything away, I must say I was pleased with the ending of the conflict. I had expected the story to go in a different direction. This short book will appeal to readers who like heartwarming holiday stories as well as historical mystery fans.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest opinions.
A Christmas Resolution by Anne Perry is an entangling mystery that entices you to cheer Clementine on as she tries to solve the mysterious actions of her fiancee Marlowe while protecting her closest friends.  It gets you in the holiday spirit but is a fantastic read for any season.
Disclaimer— every year I look forward to reading another of Perry’s holiday novellas.  This one, on false accusations, forgiveness, reconciliation, and expiation is a thoughtful exposition on the subject.  Celia Hooper stands accused, and threatened, by a man she dislikes who is planning to marry a close friend of hers.  Her husband steps in to investigate the self-righteous accuser and discern the facts underlying his accusations.  At risk are both women’s friendship and the impending marital union.  Moving.  Ending without a defined resolution, it exposes long held secrets and pain and reveals hopes of a better and different tomorrow, but only thru stringent self-examination and taking responsibility for the pain inflicted on others.  A moving and thoughtful tale in the holiday spirit.
A sweet story of forgiveness and redemption set in a lovely English village.  Celia is a newly married middle-aged woman to Police officer, John Hooper.  Her friend Clementine has just told her of her engagement to Seth, an older widow with a questionable background and truly awful personality.  Seth sets the plot line by verbally attacking Celia and after involving the local Vicar and her husband in locating Seth’s young daughter the story  quickly speeds up and you will see that Christmas is a wonderful time to try and right some wrongs!!! #NETGALLEY#ACHRISTMASRESOLUTION#ANNEPERRY
Anne Perry adds to her Christmas Series each year, using characters from her different cozy mystery series. This years installment is about John and Celia Hooper from the William Monk series.  Celia and John are settling into married life when Celia's best friend is proposed to by a man that the parish doesn't like very well.  The man is arrogant, rude, and intolerant of other people's ways.  His previous wife died in questionable circumstances and his daughter would rather live on the streets of London than be near him.  Can Celia and John clear up the questions about this man and his past, or will what they find out about him confirm everyone's suspicions?  Thank you #NetGalley for allowing me to give my honest review on #AChristmasResolution.
A Christmas Resolution by Anne Perry is a wonderful short novel that is another one of her wonderful gems that features a Christmas timeframe within the historical fiction niche.

I have read several of Ms. Perry’s novels in the past, as well as several of her Christmas novellas, and I enjoyed reading this one as well.

While this does have a Christmas theme, and takes place during the Christmas season, its story and foundations are transcendent.

Here we see the friendship of Celia and Clementine. Celia is newly married to Detective John Hooper (the partner to another main character in another one of her penned series). Celia finds out that Clementine has become betrothed to, whom she feels is a disingenuous man, Seth Marlowe. She sees him as overbearing, opinionated, dominating, and not of good character. Clementine is desperate to be accepted, loved, and looks for the good in people. Celia feels there is something “not right” involving Seth’s past, and she is determined to get to the bottom of it before her friend can make a terrible mistake.

This is an excellent book, with well drawn out characters, and a surprising plot twist. I also truly enjoyed the warm ending. I found the focal themes of: love, friendship, loyalty, acceptance, forgiveness, and faith to fit in perfectly with the story.

A great read by Ms. Perry yet again.

5/5 stars

Thank you NetGalley and Ballantine/Random House for this ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon and B&N accounts upon publication.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Celia's friend Clementine  is considering getting married to Seth, a man she dislikes. This book was well written and I cant wait to read Anne Perry's next book.
Celia loves to go to church. Seth,a member of Celia's church , has lost his wife and had problems with his child. I liked the characters and feel
One of my favorite authors and she did not disappoint with this one,.  Love this book even before the season.  When you hope everything turns out ok in the end there it is!!!!!!!  Enjoyed the reverend and his sermons!!,  I would read this over again at Christmas time without issue.
A thoroughly enjoyable addition to Anne Perry’s annual Christmas mystery novels.  Set in Victorian England, the story is compelling and the characters sympathetic.  I would have given it 5 stars but for a Christmas based novel there were no details that brought out Christmas at all.
This novella was a delightful read. I have not read other books in the series but that did not effect my understanding of the characters or their relationships. Set in Victorian era England, this story blends mystery and intrigue with a story of love and forgiveness. This is a story I could read over and over again.