Cover Image: How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days

How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days

First, thank you to NetGalley for the ecopy of this book.

Six years ago Belle was left at the alter. Now she’s working as a journalist, preparing for her sister’s wedding and potentially about to start something with her gorgeous co-worker Nate. Everything seems fine. Until one day her ex Ed shows up....as a ghost. Suddenly things are very far from fine.

So I didn’t hate this book but I also didn’t love it. I feel like it had the potential to be really good.

I thought the friendship between Belle, Rosie and Tess was really nice. I love reading about friends supporting one another. I also think the parts about grief and moving on were done really well.

I know some readers weren’t happy with the supernatural element (probably just because they didn’t realise they were signing up for that) but I actually thought it made the story more interesting. Before Ed showed up I was honestly a little bored as nothing very unique or interesting was happening.

I think the problem is that the author tried to deal with both romance and grief/moving on. This can work, but in this novel it meant that some aspects weren’t fully fleshed out. For instance Rosie and Tess seemed like really good characters with lives that would’ve made for interesting storylines but we only get the tiniest little snippets.

I also think we needed to see more of Nate and his relationship with Belle before the start of the book. I know they’ve known each other for a few years but I never got the impression that they were close. Belle says she didn’t even know the real him until their date. But then by the end of the novel the reader is meant to accept that they’ve fallen in love with one another? She barely even spent much time with the “real” Nate. It just didn’t work for me.

The thing with romance novels is that I feel like a lot of the time if the two characters were just open and honest with each other then it would all be fine. Normally I’m ok with this lack of communication though because, to be fair to the characters, talking about your feelings is difficult. But in this case all I could think was there was no logical reason for Belle to not tell Nate that Ed is a ghost. It would have made things so much easier.

Overall this book was just ok but would have been much better if certain aspects were developed more.
Six years after being left at the alter, Belle hasn't really gained much from her life. She is still, to put it frankly, merely existing. Just as she takes the first steps in to dating again, she spots a familiar face, and then reality strikes hard as she realises it is in fact her ex Ed.
From this point on, Belle tries her best to remove Ed from her thoughts, and with her sisters wedding taking place in 10 days time, she really has to get herself together.

This is a light hearted, easy to read rom-com. The story is filled with humour and drama. The characters are intriguing and detailed, and the secondary characters help to shape the story too.
An enjoyable read.
I went into this book in the wrong frame of mind. It was my mistake but I was expecting a light rom-com story. This is not.

I liked that this book has dual perspective from the two main characters. It handles some important topics, not just sex, and it seems to have been covered well. It was well written and easy to read despite the topic. It wasn’t heavy or tough to read. I liked this but didn’t love it.
Unfortunately this book wasn't for me and I had to DNF, however I am extremely grateful for the opportunity and believe that when put in the right hands, this book will be loved and appreciated by the right person.
Looking for something to make you laugh, melt your heart and make you smile for a while, then read How to Lose an EX in 10 days, it’s a guaranteed sensational read, trust me. I loved this so much, I don’t think I’ve laughed so much in ages but at the same time willed people together, charming and fun, absolutely wonderful writing and characters. Pick up this book and you’ll be sad when it ends, but the only time you’ll be sad. Brilliant

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
How To Lose an Ex in 10 days was quiet interesting in way that I'm not used to. It's not necessarily a bad thing but I will list the why I didn't particularly like it.

After being left at the alter, our heroine hasn't fully recovered even six years later. She doesn't date, has no passion for virtually anything in her life. But she can't help find herself falling for someone who she'll never make move toward.

But when a handsome co-worker asks her out. The dare goes well but that all changes as soon as her past comes knocking. With things left up in air, she has decisions to make, who and what to tell or keep secret.

You might think this is a classic romance novel but it's not. The twist really threw me into a bad mood. I love that Lottie decided to try something different with this story line. But there are a few things that I couldn't get past.

First there the deal with her co-worker. After revealing information that took a turn for the worst. There were characters that grated on my nerves to the point of wanting to DNF the book but I didn't.

Overall the book isn't written horribly. It's set on dealing with forgiving and dealing with matters instead of burying them, and finally getting to move on.

ARC generously provided by Netgalley and One More Chapter.
This book was not for me. I skimmed through it and left it, I couldn’t remember anything that happened. Nothing about this book drew me in or kept me interested.
I found this book ok but hard to connect with the characters. I still enjoyed the book and read it super fast as I always wanted to know more! I would definitely read more from this author in the future but this book just wasn't for me.
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

After Belle Delphine's fiance Ed left her at the altar, she turned down the dream London magazine job she was supposed to start after their honeymoon and moved back home to Scotland where she works as a junior reporter for a newspaper.  She has not dated anyone in the 6 years since Ed left her, but Belle's sister and best friend think she should take a chance on her cute coworker.  Just as Belle starts to open up to the possibility of romance, Ed reappears.  <spoiler>Now dead, Ed has been sent to deal with his unfinished business so he can move on.</spoiler?  Will he help Belle find love with someone new or make her situation worse?

Reading the synopsis before reading the book, I didn't understand what the big plot twist would be.  Reading the synopsis now, I feel like I should have known.  If I had understood that <spoiler>this was a ghost story</spoiler>, I would have passed on reading it.  None of the characters were particularly likeable; I felt like we didn't get to know Nate well enough to root for Belle to end up with him.  This book was just OK.  I would be willing to check out other books from the author as long as they don't have the supernatural twist.
I loved the last book I read by this author but sadly I just couldn’t get into this one - for obvious reasons way too unbelievable, far too slow, and just wasn’t for me unfortunately. Well written, but just not for me.

A real shame, but won’t put me off looking for more by this author.
This was funny and light, I enjoyed the novel. A bit predictable but the writing was good and I was genuinely interested in the characters and their story!
Sorry miss Lucas it is not you it is me but me and this book we did not have chemistry
The chararacters  are one dimensional and underdeveloped  the plot is hiccuping a lot and it took me forever to finish this book
The banter and the indecision of the h are not credible
Sorry but for me this is not a rom com
2. Stars
 How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days by Lottie Lucas. #NetGalley
[NetGalley URL]
Belle Delphine is a 26 years old journalist. 6 years ago she was left at the altar and the sad true is that she has never recovered. She hasn’t dated since – actually, since it happened, she’s been living in denial, going through the motions, living together with her older sister and her best friend Tess. However, lately, there is something happening – she might have been developing feelings to her co – worker Nate but, of course, she doesn’t dare to ask him on a date.
But then Nate ask her on a date! Could it be beginning of something new and fresh for Belle? Maybe it could but then an unexpected encounter completely turns her entire world upside down.

So till around approximately half of the book it was a steady, a bit dragging on, average read. And then THIS happened. And I really absolutely didn’t know what to do with this THIS. Because, you know, well, the synopsis MIGHT HAVE hinted at something but THIS was so huge and honestly, until now I still don’t know what to do with it. You know, it was not a bad book, it was just a… book, a chick – lit, light – hearted and then THIS happened, and it didn’t impress me, to be honest. I mean, I like a story with a bit of magic in it, in the right dosis of course, but this what I got in „How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days“, well… I’ll be honest with you – I wouldn’t request this book if I knew what it was about.

I am also not sure what does the title want to tell us. Why in ten days? It sounded so promising, I loved this title, and the synopsis was also brilliant, and I was expecting something so exceptionally humorous and uplifting, and it’s probably my lost expectations that hurt me so much. But back to the title – yes, I admit, I must have missed something about those ten days as I’ve been skim – reading this book. Eventually. I truly wanted to give this story 3 stars but it wouldn’t be fair as I think I’ve read half of it. I’m sorry.

I couldn’t so completely got into the story. I had a feeling it doesn’t know what it wants to be and what’s the most important thing in it. The main character, Belle, was one of the most indecisive characters ever and I couldn’t warm to her, couldn’t get into her head, and not knowing what makes the character tick makes the relationship between me – the reader, and the character not easy. The only character that had personality and was a bit outstanding compared to the rest was Belle’s friend, Tess.

The romance aspect also didn’t work for me because there was actually no romance aspect! I mean, how can you go offended and in a huff with a girl not telling you something about her past after one date? ONE DATE? I mean, really? How unsecure, patronising and chauvinistic are you, Nate? This whole problem seemed much too forced and unrealistic, which made the whole reading experience forced and unrealistic. Apologies if it sounds harsh but that’s the way I felt when reading the story. I didn’t buy the relationships and was not invested in them – and I mean both Belle’s relationships. We really don’t know why she has agreed to marry Ed – we are told there is a history between them but that’s all, and it’s not enough. There was no chemistry between her and Nate, no closeness and trust, it was only a bit of flirting, furtive looks and tons of misunderstandings. Hello?

Nevertheless, do not feel put out by the cynic that has written this review (moi. Yes). There was a lot of potential in the writing and I liked the writing style and maybe it’s a case of „it’s not you (book), it’s me“, maybe I’m just not the right audience for this story. However, I’ve seen many reviews telling the same as me, so maybe it could serve as a hint for the publisher, that letting us know in the synopsis what we’re getting into would be a much better move, would be doing this book a favour. However, I really appreciated the author writing about forgiveness and grief, about trusting yourself and moving on from past.
I was very excited for this one but it didn't quite live up to the hype. The paranormal aspect took way too long to be introduced and I'm afraid that (for me, at least) the characters all just added up to a stressful situation. It was certainly a cute idea though and I could see some people definitely enjoying it.
I was very excited to read this book and I must say I really enjoyed it but I must admit it was the the fluffy light read that I was quite expecting and that twist was.....well unexpected!

I think if you like movies like Just like heaven you will enjoy this one but if not I would steer clear.
Oh, how I wanted this to be a good book. The premise seemed interesting and I looked forward to reading a funny and heart-warming adventure. But sadly, How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days missed the mark.

The protagonist, Belle, was abandoned at the alter by Ed, and is still plagued by her experience. She’s stuck in a job she’s bored with, and spends more of her working hours daydreaming over her co-worker, Nate. But then Ed returns with unresolved business and a unique twist.

I was very close to giving up on this story early on. It just did not hold my interest. And sadly, very little of the plot remains in my mind. A lot of the time, I felt myself waiting for something to happen, and the twist in the plot wasn’t a welcomed surprise. The romance is flat, and I didn’t connect with the characters. However, the heavier subjects like grief and loss paired with the author’s easy and warm writing style is a win for this book.

Overall, How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days isn’t the book for me. It seemed to be a fun and fluffy rom-com, but the twist didn’t work too well and the characters lacked likeable depth.
How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days is....fine, but, in the end, not for me. I went into this expecting your classic contemporary romance (hello, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days), but it fell flat for me. I couldn't connect with the characters, and I just wasn't feeling the twist. Meh.
This was so different from what I’ve read, it started off with the main character being stranded at the alter by her then boyfriend Ed who left without leaving any way for contact. This accident caused Belle to be very vary of relationships until she started noticing Nate and figuring out her feelings towards him. While Belle exploring her possibilities with Nate, she’s preparing for her sister’s wedding. However Belle’s life takes a turn as she’s faced with a twist that changes her life.

How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days was an interesting read that had my attention for the initial 50% but as the plot kept progressing it started to feel a little flatter compared to the beginning. I wish the book was the same pace through out.
Unfortunately I was not a big fan of this. It took me a long time to read because I was pretty bored and never really understood where the book was going until the end. I wasn’t a fan of any of the characters so didn’t find myself rooting for any of them. I think the story itself had potential but I didn’t really like the twist around the halfway point and the book ended up falling flat for me .
This book was everything I needed at the moment. I have to admit I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. Such a light and easy read and the characters... I love them. Definitely recommend this one.