Cover Image: On Deadly Tides

On Deadly Tides

I really enjoy this series and this latest offering did not disappoint.
The cast of characters are engaging and the whodunit is first rate.
I look forward to reading the next in the series.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
My first book by this author and I promptly added the other books in the series to my next book order.  This book was delightful and vey well written.  Characters had growth and depth and the mystery was very well crafted.
IIt has been a while since I read a British cozy and I had forgotten how the gentle charm of the writing can draw a reader in as quickly and irresistibly as a shocking or hilarious beginning although it does have its moments! With the 11th book in her Penny Brannigan series, On Deadly Tides, Elizabeth J. Duncan DOES a marvelous job of weaving her cozy tale while captivating this reader completely. The pace may be slow and easy but the fascinating story and the delightful characters drew me inexorably onward until it was almost impossible to put the book down.
Fans of the series will be particularly delighted to meet a new character that Penny encountered on her painter’s weekend, a weekend of tragedy and happiness. This is the first book that I have read in the series and I felt completely comfortable starting here but I also feel compelled to go back and discover the riches of the earlier books.
I found On Deadly Tides when I was browsing Crooked Lanes list on NetGalley and it fascinated me so I could not resist and I am so glad I chose it. Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for allowing me to read and share my enjoyment of my newest addiction.
#NetGalley #OnDeadlyTides
Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the early read. This is my first book in the series. Really enjoyed the story and the characters. Would recommend to others. Looking forward to reading more in this series...
On Deadly Tides  is #11 in the series but the first one I have read.  It worked extremely well as a standalone and I thoroughly enjoyed it-I read it one sitting.

Penny Brannigan is an engaging protagonist and an amateur sleuth, but she does not go looking for murders.  In a nice change from most cozies, she has a good relationship with the police.

Penny and her friend are attending an artist workshop in a town near where she lives.    She strikes up a conversation with a gentleman at the hotel bar and they are joined by a young newspaper reporter from New Zealand.   The next morning when Penny and her friend are painting at a picturesque lighthouse Penny spies what appears to be a body in the water and discovers the young woman who she had met the night before.  It appears to be an accidental death but Penny has doubts.  And when the young woman's mother arrives from New Zealand, Penny feels she needs to dig a bit deeper, especially as some strange things occur.

There is also a very nice romance in the story and it is nice to have an older heroine fall in love.

There was a blurb from Carolyn Hart on the cover and since she's an author I enjoy I thought I'd take a chance.  I'm glad I did and hope to read the earlier entries and hope there will be more.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley but any opinions expressed are my own.
Penny and her friend, both keen amateur artists, have signed up for a painting weekend in a nearby part of Wales. The first night there, they meet an enthusiastic young reporter from New Zealand, and are shocked to learn of her death the next day. Was it an unfortunate accident, or murder? Did someone want to silence her investigation? Penny also meets a handsome gentleman, and wonders if there is a future in their relationship, as he is based in Toronto. I had not read this author before, but will look for more of her books, since I enjoyed the Welsh setting, the characters, and the happily ever after ending.. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an ARC.
Thanks to NetGalley for this early read.
This is my first Penny Brannigan mystery. I did try to read one book earlier in the series but I couldn’t get into it. This one was easy to get caught up in. It includes a murder near the beginning, a missing man, a cat, a light house and a love interest. It also appears that Penny is about to have some major changes in her life. However, it was very short, I read it in one evening. I will try the next book whenever it comes out because this one was a charming cozy.
There were some minor info dumps that read like they might have been taken from a travel guide and one that seemed like it could have been an ad for an app but nothing too annoying.
4 stars, rounding up from 3.5
This is a well written mystery that holds your attention. The author made the book come to life with her words; you could see the scenery and you felt like you were there. It was a really good read and I look forward to reading more books by this author. Thank you  Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
I really enjoyed reading On Deadly Tides. The book was well written with attention to detail, especially in the description and the plot/mystery was engaging. I also liked several of the characters in the book, which I felt was complex and well written. An added bonus to it all was the setting of Anglesey and North Wales, especially as I've visited Llandudno a few times.
The Delights Of A Painting Retreat.....
A Penny Brannigan mystery. Sometime amateur sleuth, Penny, is basking in the delights of a painting retreat on the Anglesey coast, that is, until the untimely arrival of a dead body. Following a ruling of accidental death Penny remains sceptical. Enjoyable cosy with a likeable protagonist and a colourful cast of supporting characters, plenty of mystery and even a budding romance. A worthy addition to the series.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

This cozy combines two of my favorites; art and mystery! What a combination! Immediately I felt a connection with Penny, and I adored the setting chosen for this one. Even though I've never been there, I felt right at home in Wales, painting a lighthouse. This is the magic of the best kind of cozy; a kind of welcome home feel to instantly put the reader at ease. Then you get the sudden chill of murder, and you follow the sleuth as they try and make everything as OK as it's going to be again. This mystery was well thought out, but I'm going to admit I was a sucker for the romance too! It was well crafted and just felt very sweet and real.

I read this in one sitting as a bath grew cold around me, that is how invested in the plot and characters I was. A great cozy series, I'd love to read more from this author.
On Deadly Tides by Elizabeth J. Duncan is a part of the Penny Brannigan mystery series. Overall, it was a good read (I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5 stars). The writing was done well with attention to detail in the descriptions that brought the plot and story elements to life. I did find myself skimming some pages, though and was able to figure out the murder before it was revealed.

This was my first time reading a book in this series, but I didn't' feel like I missed anything. I will check out other books by this author.

#OnDeadlyTides #NetGalley
On Deadly Tides is a well written mystery romance.  Well crafted plot and characters.  Nice setting.  I received an advance ebook from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
This book had such a promising start, I was intrigued from the beginning and was curious as to where it would go. I had worked out who the murderer was part way through, but found the way the crime was resolved, the behaviour of the lead character (Penny) and her sudden disregard for the village in Wales she proclaimed to love and have been so happy in (and her home) odd and disappointing. It all just felt a little incredible.

With thanks to #NetGalley, Crooked Lane Publishing  and the author for my free advanced reader copy to review in exchange for an honest opinion.
This latest offering in Elizabeth J. Duncan's A Penny Brannigan Mystery series is spectacular.  The mystery is truly heart wrenching in the portrayal of the victim's family.  It was painfully real.  Also touching was the new relationship that Penny embraces.  For those of us who have grown along with her it was lovely to see love come to someone at her stage in life.  My only concern with 'On Deadly Tides' was that it might have been the last one in the series.  I sincerely hope not.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
This was my first time reading a Penny Brannigan cozy mystery.

I loved Penny and her home in Wales the description of the places and characters made you feel like you where there.  Penny and her friend signed up for a painting retreat and while there meets a fellow Canadian who captures her interest and then finding a dead body on the beach.

Penny feels like she needs to get involved when the mother of the journalist shows up even though it was ruled an accident. With a romance hopefully starting and her looking for a killer how will it all end.  I thought this was a charming book. And want to go back and read the rest in the series.

For my first time reading this series I can't wait for next one. I loved the characters and how the author describes the surroundings so it makes it feel like your there! It's a great read.
3 1/2 stars.  An entertaining light read that focuses as much on Penny's new love and other changes in her life as much as on the mystery.  Charming characters and a beautiful setting add to the enjoyment of this decent mystery.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the ARC in exchange for a impartial review.
A consistently excellent series is hard to come by, but Duncan's Penny Brannigan mystery series is just that. The settings are always intriguing, and there is often an art aspect to many of the stories, as Penny is an artist, as well as a business woman. This new story does indeed emphasize Penny's artistic career with a weekend painting retreat on the beautiful island of Anglesey, off the coast of Wales.
Readers will enjoy the new setting, as well as a new romantic figure for Penny - a wildlife photographer.  These two have an instant chemistry, but a young journalist dies suddenly after a brief meeting with both of them, which means an investigation.  There is always a warmly personal element to the Penny stories, and this one provides an even more intimate one.  No spoilers! Readers of the series will find this to be a good, puzzling mystery, as expected. And, unexpectedly, a romantic aspect for Penny.
On Deadly Tides by Elizabeth Duncan Reviewed on July 22, 2020 3.5 rounded up
I am a big psychological thriller fan but there are times I am in the mood for a nice cozy mystery.
No nasty language, explicit sex nor real violent. Yep a nice “G” rated story.

In this story, Penny is an artist. She and fellow artists enroll in a weekend painting class in nearby Beaumans on the beautiful North Wales Island of Anglesay.  (Sign me up!)

Well this is a mystery so someone shows ends up murdered right?
My first Penny Brannigan Mystery… Love Penny and also enjoyed the sweet romance!
I will read another
Want to thank NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this early release granted to me in exchange for an honest professional review. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for November 10, 2020
This was a well written book and I would enjoy reading more from this author. The plot moved along at a good pace and there were no annoying loopholes or coincidences (a few annoying characters, but they make up life's rich pageant!).