Cover Image: The Plant-Based College Cookbook

The Plant-Based College Cookbook

nice looking book... but defiantly not plant based.  Its more of a vegetarian book with vegan options. Lots of cheese recipes and they have oil in them.

low stars only due to saying its plant based but not really.
Some of the recipes looked interesting, but they were either too complicated or didn't seem like something we would enjoy.
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I AM BORED!!) ANd it is too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books??

Enjoy healthy, plant-based meals and avoid the temptations of the dining hall and vending machines with over 175 easy, recipes any college student can master!

Who says the food in college has to be unhealthy? Now, eating healthy is simpler than ever and can even be enjoyed when you’re at college!

The Plant-Based College Cookbook is perfect for even the busiest college student and features 175 totally doable (and delicious) recipes to help you stick to your plant-based diet while on campus. Enjoy a Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffin and Creamy Carrot Smoothie to make that 8 am class feel a bit easier. Impress your roommates with some homemade Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip and Mango Citrus Salsa. And never skip out on dessert with some Cocoa-Nut-Coconut No-Bake Cookies and DIY Peanut Butter Cups.

With helpful advice on the kitchen basics and quick, effortless recipes, you can skip the temptations of the dining hall, eat clean, and even keep off that freshman fifteen!

Plant-based cuisine is so hot right now, and cheaper ways (directed at college students who are always skint and not practised in the kitchen.  This shows an easy way to eat yummy foods that are cheap and easy to make - and if you are not 100% ready for veganism, you can always add in meat, dairy, eggs, honey, etc. Fresh, wonderful foods not made from boxes is better for everyone -  I love to experiment in the kitchen, although I draw the line at Frankenfoods such as "chick'n) which has 88 ingredients vs. chicken from a chicken that has one!)

BUT..........Would it not have made more sense if the book came out BEFORE the college school year started?

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍑🍑🍑🍑
Covert art: 4.5/5 - the large avocado makes me happy
Audience: Young Adult / Adult
Theme: Cookbook, vegetarian & vegan.
Overall: 3.5

While I’m not still in college, I am a lazy vegetarian who enjoys college-esque junk foods like Mac n cheese & veggie chiken nuggies - so i thought this book would be good for me.

It starts off discussing a little-bit of nutrition & tips for going plant-based. It’s focused more on incorporating plants rather than removing animal products & that choice is left up to you. As it is geared towards a college student there are some suggestions for kitchen equipment and grocery shopping choices if said student will be cooking in the dorms.

Some of my favorite recipes included the mini quiche, tofu breakfast burrito (looks so good!), jalapeño poppers, Greek salad pita pockets, spicy sweet potato soup (there’s a whole bunch of soups that I want to try, there was a lot of great recipes in this section), chickpea tacos, garden quesadilla, seitan buffalo wings (I’ll be trying this one out this weekend) & a variety of smoothies, deserts & staples (such as dressings etc.).

This book had a good mix of classic staple foods that every one should know how to make (kale chips!) & creative choices (parsnip chips!) Some of the recipes required more effort/time than I would’ve been willing to do during my college days but I’ve always been lazy when it comes to cooking. I wouldn’t call most of the recipes fast & easy cooking, but they all looked delicious and were healthy choices.

Recipe sections included breakfast, snacks, soups, salads, sandwiches, mains, desserts, smoothies &
staples.

The book closes with useful cooking tools (i.e.) conversions which is VERY helpful to have.

Overall, I enjoyed the recipes and will be trying a bunch of them out soon!

* I received a free advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *
The Plant-Based College Cookbook is filled with delicious looking vegetarian and vegan recipes. I really enjoyed leafing through this, finding recipes for things like vegan pancakes, raspberry breakfast bars and sun dried tomato risotto with spinach and pine nuts.

Apart from breakfast, lunch, main dishes and snacks, the book also contains tons and tons of recipes for wraps, salads, sandwiches and soups.

The only downside is that there are only a handfull of pictures, but the enormous amount of recipes does make up for that.

I can’t wait to try a lot of these out!
Please be aware before reading this book that it is NOT a plant-based cookbook.

Plant-based diet = a diet with NO animal products (as opposed to a vegan lifestyle, which means consuming no animal products in your diet and lifestyle, like leather and cosmetics etc.)

This book features eggs, honey, and dairy cheese often. At first, I thought it just hadn't specified vegan, but no; it features omelettes, scrambled eggs and the like.

The recipes themselves are well written and detailed. Not super simple, but some really interesting recipes. This would be a great book for a vegetarian, but it's not plant-based as it claims to be.