Cover Image: The Love Note

The Love Note

The Love Note is my first visit to the work of this author. Always a bit of a risk for this avid reader. There’s not a lot of spare space on my TBR (to be read) pile. This book rewarded me for my time spent reading it.

The opening pages, introduce a nurse desperate to become a doctor when women didn’t do that sort of thing. This problem grabbed my attention. From there we get a mission that might change everything for Willa, or end in a marriage she doesn’t want. And we are off…

Then add in a mysterious, heart wrenching love note and the mission to reconnect the author with its intended and you have a gripping love story.

The Love Note takes readers on a soul searching journey for love the way it was intended to be lived, rather than a union forced upon individuals for personal or family gain.

Beautifully written with a vibrant cast of secondary characters, this book kept me smiling each evening as I visited Crestwicke to see if Will and Gabe had found each other yet. Readers who enjoy historical romances are sure to enjoy their visit between these pages.

Visit Joanna Davidson Politano’s website here…

To check out some of my favorite books from 2020, click here…

For a excerpt or to buy a copy, click here…
I always love Joanna's imagery. This novel was no different, it pulled me in at the very start.
I loved all the little love stories in between the main characters love story. Joanna weaved them all together so I never felt lost in the story. I did feel like there were parts of it that were rushed, but I understand in the scope of the story being told that was probably necessary.
The mystery was fun, and kept me intrigued throughout the book. The author blended the emotions of heartache and loss with hope and love beautifully. It was a truly moving story.
The Love Note is by far my favorite I have read by Joanna Davidson Politano. I highly recommend it and giving it five plus stars.
From the moment I read the lost letter that’s at the heart of this book, I knew that this was a story worth reading,  This author absolutely swept me away to another time and place, and the people of Crestwicke Manor came to life for me.  This Christian historical romance was heart-touching in so many ways.  I enjoyed every part of the book, especially the way the storyline came together in the last chapter.  That will have me thinking about this book for quite a while to come.  This book is romantic as it describes love that’s lost and found, but it leads the reader to the greatest love of all—-God’s love for us.  Joanna Politano is a wonderful author, and I’m already looking forward to reading her next book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
I love that the novel is based around a love letter. Willa, a woman in the late 1860s, works in medicine, which makes her a unique character. I liked that aspect. She's strong and competent and we sympathize with her right away. This book’s premise reminded me of the Hallmark movie The Love Letter from 1998, a movie that also inspired me as a writer. The author dedicates her novel to the “POstables,” a fun connection with fans of Hallmark’s Signed, Sealed, and Delivered series.

There are several mysteries and a bit of an eerie feeling to the novel, especially once we arrive at the estate where our heroine will serve as a live-in nurse. She’s stuck there, though, due to her father’s ultimatum. So, she must overcome. But she will not compromise her desire to be loved for who she is in her entirety—not just her body but her mind, talents, and abilities. Brava! In her era, this is a strong stand to take and I loved her for taking it. Modern readers will connect with her and root for her.

I set this book aside early because of the eerie aspect, but there's a lot of potential here. I don't prefer eerie stories, and was unaware that was the tone when I agreed to read it for review. I wish the author and publisher all the best.
Willa Duvall wants to be a doctor but she, unfortunately, lives in 1865 in England where there a very few female doctors and medical schools that admit women. Making a bet with her father that she can be a nurse to anyone otherwise he can choose her husband, she takes a position at Crestwicke Manor with a most difficult patient and a mysterious letter found within a writing desk. However, this is not her first visit to Crestwicke Manor, and will her past help or hurt her in the completion of this assignment? Politano has once again created a complex Regency tale filled with mystery, romance, and memorable characters.
Many thanks to Netgalley for the advanced digital copy of The Love Note by Joanna Davidson Politano in return for my honest review.

The Love Note is not my usual reading genre, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. In 1865, Willa Duvall wanted more for herself than just marriage. She wanted to study to be a doctor and work side-by-side with her father during a time period that neither valued independent women nor their abilities or desires for themselves. Willa was also open to love, but a love that wouldn’t deny her hopes and dreams.

The story is fleshed out cleverly through a newly discovered, sealed love note hidden within Willa’s writing desk, originally belonging to the estate of Crestwicke Manor. After a pact made with her father, Willa becomes the nurse for difficult, curmudgeonly, elder Golda Gresham. Willa is not only on a quest to earn the right to continue her studies, but to reconnect the love note to its rightful owner. Almost immediately the love note is misplaced and passes to numerous supporting characters, each finding a personal connection to the note. I was particularly drawn to Gabe and Aunt Maisie, but there is a varied cast of characters for readers to choose their favorites. Well written and well done, I recommend it.
What havoc could a simple love note cause? Well this particular one has turned the Crestwicke Manor on it's head and every one is touched by the powerful words that someone has written to their beloved.

This was a deep and compelling story that was very poetic in its telling. Cutting to the heart of the matter is the question, what is love? And more importantly what is true love? Is it between a husband and wife, or a mother and her children? What author Politano does is show all aspects of true love, even the most important one- the one with our heavenly Father.

From the beautiful cover to the beautiful story on the inside, this is my favorite read by author Politano. As I have mentioned before this story is about love and I also really liked how this story has a bit of a mystery due to the unknown author of the letter. I liked the human aspect of this story and how everyone was touched by those powerful words. It made them stop and ponder life and opened many eyes to how precious living is. I also felt it had a touch of a gothic feel as well, in the sense that there was great sadness in Crestwicke Manor.

If you are looking for an authentic original read with a great story and a spiritual thread, The Love Note might just be your next read.

I was provided with a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.
Engaging read with fascinating characters and a story line that truly sucks you in this was a hard to put down book!
The backcover summary of this book does it little justice; this story is so much bigger than a simple mystery of reuniting a letter with its intended recipient.  Instead, this letter weaves its way through an entire household, igniting hope, sparking new loves, and fanning the flames of old relationships.  The note not only creates new confidence and the possibility of being loved with such passion as the note infers, it opens the eyes of the men perceived as the potential senders to a new way of loving.  While not every character whose heart is touched by the letter is expounded upon, the reader is left with the lovely feeling that Crestwicke Manor has taken on new life and new loves that will leave it forever changed.

"To fall in love with God is the greatest romance;
to seek him the greatest adventure,
to find him, the greatest human achievement."
Saint Augustine of Hippo

Perhaps even better than the romantic possibilities brought on by the wayward letter, is the discovery of love and healing that goes beyond romance.  The entirety of the book points to the right kind of love, God's love, even as modeled by imperfect humans, but mostly in knowing that true love doesn't hinder or seek to change, but rather seeks to set one free in the knowledge that he or she is loved exactly for who they are.

I give this book 5 stars.  This may be my favorite read of 2020 so far.  I have loved every book by this author I've read so far, and this one was even better than anticipated.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.
The Love Note by Joanna  Politano  is a  Christian historical romance with a touch of mystery. I loved the path that the Love Note took as it weaved its way throughout the family. A well placed reminder that everyone needs to know that someone ‘sees’ them and loves them.

So many characters to love in this book.  Willa, trying desperately to make a difference in the world and her desire to save lives. And once she read the love note, the desire to have a love like that. I was a tad frustrated with her that took her so long to realize it was within her reach.

Gabe was wonderful from his strong silent type to his way with horses. He was a well created character.

The author continued to surprise me through the book and it was delightful.

I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review.
You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
The Love Note by Joanna Davidson Politano was a  perfectly lovely read. I fell in love with the characters and the setting. The story was well written and beautiful.
I’ll be honest. I almost didn’t request this title. The vintage cover drew me in, though, and a fleeting glimpse at the synopsis made it sound promising, so even though I’m not much of a romance reader, I decided to give it a chance. Oh my word. I am fairly certain that this is going to be my favorite new release of 2020, and most likely the best fictional romance (historical or otherwise) that I’ve read to date. Very rarely, if ever, do I use the word “swoon-worthy,” but I have to say, this book fits that description perfectly, while also being tempestuous and haunting.

“The Love Note” is the first of Joanna Politano’s novels that I’ve read, despite her previous works being on my to-read list, and I now find myself wondering why I waited so long! From the first chapter, I was engaged in the story, and unlike so many others, this is one that does not lag at any point. Politano seamlessly blends an assortment of genres that keeps readers on their toes: romance, mystery, history, spirituality. As the final third of the story unfolds, the twists are so beautifully executed for maximum impact, right through the final chapter. Willa Duvall herself proclaims early on: “I had been right all along—the letter I’d found in that desk was a piece of something much larger, a story more epic than mere romance.” Nothing is clear-cut until the ending, and I love that! What’s more, Politano meaningfully brings all of the storylines together into one glorious whole.

With echoes of “Jane Eyre” and “Wuthering Heights,” “The Love Note” reads like a classic. Politano’s writing style reflects that of the nineteenth century but is free of antiquated words or phrases, thereby making this an easy-to-read book. That is not to say, however, that no hard issues arise within the story. On the contrary, for all of the romance, there is also a fair share of tragedy, as Willa notes immediately: “but I couldn’t shake the tenor of underlying romance lurking in the shadows of this house. It was there, pulsing and sweeping through like a ghost, even if everyone attempted to stifle and deny it.” Through characters such as Celeste, Willa, and Aunt Maisie (a personal favorite), the importance of using one’s voice for encouraging others and the significance of women’s rights is subtly explored. Pithy epigraphs called “A scientist’s observations on love” open each chapter, and a shifting narrative voice allows for the exploration of multiple points of view. The majority of the narrative is comprised of Willa’s story as told by the character herself in the first person, and occasionally another character with whom her story intersects provides a third-person account of something happening to them. Even as readers privileged with this omniscience, though, the surprises are astounding.

As with any Christian-based novel, the best attribute is transformation, and “The Love Note” achieves this remarkably well. Remarkably because the characters change their hearts and attitudes in spite of their fear and in spite of the leap of faith needed to do so. Willa realizes this in her own quest, remarking, “What makes the past so intriguing, anyway? Perhaps because understanding those stories that so enchant us, those ghostly echoes of long-ago mistakes and passions, means untangling the present and changing the future.” May we glean wisdom from the past as we all strive toward the bright future that awaits us as believers in Christ.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell and was under no obligation to post a positive review. All opinions are my own.
Brilliant in so many ways! The twist and turns were great and the love letter getting a different reaction from everyone was humorous. But the poetic way Joanna weaved her words had me weeping at the end. Definitely, a book that will leave you pondering long after you read it.
This enchanting novel has a classical feel, reminiscent of Victorian tales. The main character's only desire is to practice medicine in a world open to men alone. Willa finds a way to achieve that goal as a nurse at Crestwicke Manor, a place she has known all her life. This task will test all of her wit and push her faith to another level. She also searches for the owner of a lost love note found inside a desk she acquired years ago. What will Crestwicke Manor hold for her, and will she be the healer it needs?

I recommend this book of depth into the human condition, strength in God, and courage over despair. I received a copy from Net Galley and Revell. I did not gain compensation for this review. All thoughts are my own. #TheLoveNote #NetGalley
With an intriguing premise and a beautiful cover this book is sure to capture the attention of readers! The idea of trying to find the author and intended recipient of a lost love letter definitely held promise and made me really interested in seeing how the story played out. To say that it played out in unexpected ways would definitely be an understatement, there were constant surprises along the way. To be honest though I felt like the story would have benefited more from having less of the side stories/“mysteries”, none of them really drew me in and there were some discrepancies that took me out of the narrative. I think the story would have been more cohesive with less focus on those aspects.
Willa was also not the most likable of characters, her high view of herself and kind of selfish tendencies made it hard for me to really engage with this story. Gabe was sweet and I wish his character would have been fleshed out a little more and gotten some more page time.
Overall this just wasn’t the story for me but I know readers are loving it and I can definitely see how it will hit home with other people! If this sounds like your kind of book I encourage you to check out other reviews and not just take my personal opinion.
#  The Love Note#  by  Joanna  Politano  is a  Christian romance, mystery   fiction book.  This book takes  place  in the  Victorian era  in 1865  in Crestwicke Manor.    The book is written  with Willa as the narrator and from her perspective.   Willa  strongly  desires to be a doctor. She has  been  years  helping her  Dad in his medical practice.  She  has   mercy and compassion for  the sick.   She is a kind person.  The   book is written  with  beautiful prose .  It is well written. The  reader  gets an  idea of what life   was  like during the  Victorian era.   Thank you to the publisher, author and  netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.  The opinions are my own.  I  look  forward to sharing my review on Bookbub,  Barnes and Noble,  Amazon, my blog,  with church staff and CBD.com
This is such a charming story with all the right ingredients for an enjoyable read, great characters and a compelling plot. The way Willa wins over the irascible Golda, her charge at Crestwicke Manor, is just one example of the ways the different characters change once that letter starts to circulate.

As a horse-lover, I did enjoy the character of Gabe and his way with horses. I could see how Willa was drawn to him, yet reluctant to show her heart because of her dream to be a doctor. The tension between her desire and her heart was so deftly drawn, I could relate to her dilemma.

Aunt Maisie, or Crazy Maisie as some of the people at the manor called her, was a delightful character, and the teasing story she told about the mysterious Rose played out in perfect segments. The final reveal wasn’t a total surprise to me. I’d begun to suspect, but false leads as to the identity cast a shadow of doubt just when it was needed.

Overall, this is a very satisfying read, and  I recommend it to all readers who like a bit of religion, and a bit of romance, in a story about a woman making tough choices and charting her own future. That wasn’t so easy to do in the 1800s, or even the early 1900s, and Willa’s courage and determination are to be applauded.
A forgotten letter. A secret love. A vast estate.

Can one determined woman put the pieces together?

Focused on a career in medicine and not on romance, Willa Duvall is thrown slightly off course during the summer of 1865 when she discovers a never-opened love letter in a crack of her old writing desk. Compelled to find the passionate soul who penned it and the person who never received it, she takes a job as a nurse at the seaside estate of Crestwicke Manor.

Everyone at Crestwicke has feelings--mostly negative ones--about the man who wrote the letter, but he seems to have disappeared. With plenty of enticing clues but few answers, Willa's search becomes even more complicated when she misplaces the letter and it passes from person to person in the house, each finding a thrilling or disheartening message in its words.

Laced with mysteries large and small, this romantic Victorian-era tale of love lost, love deferred, and love found is sure to delight.

My Thoughts:  Words are important, they can uplift or they can cut and hurt.  In this novel, we find that one little note can change so many lives.  As Willa searches for answers to the mystery of the love note that she found in a desk, leads the reader into a mystery and a series of loves and lost loves.   This was a joy to read, and the reader learns how important it is to let those we love know how we feel.  The characters were wonderful and were appropriate to the period in history.  This certainly is a novel that both historical romance readers will enjoy and those who love a little mystery.
This is the second book I have read by Politano and I absolutely love this book!  In The Love Note, Willa Duvall returns to Crestewicke to find and return a letter to it's rightful owner--if only she can figure out who that is.  The book was full of anticipation as to what would happen as the letter would often fall into the "wrong hands" and that person would think the letter was for them.  The letter would have an unique impact on every individual it came in contact with,  I loved the message of God's Love that was woven throughout the book.  I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys historical fiction.  This is one of my Top 5 favorite books of 2020.  Thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book! (This review is also on GoodReads.)