Cover Image: Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin

I can't say it enough, I love the Little People, Big Dreams series. Growing up listening to Aretha Franklin's music, added to my interest in this story. These short, non-fiction books include a short story of how these amazing people began life and pursued their dreams. There is a child friendly biography of this remarkable woman who was born a preacher's daughter, singing in the church choir, traveling with her father's gospel group all the way to her induction as the first female in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I loved the illustrations in this book, they were not as quirky as some of the others, but quite realistic, yet again, child friendly. There is a short biography, photographs and timeline at the end of the book to add to what the reader learns in the story and resources to check out to find out more. As always, I recommend this series to libraries, both public and school.
An inspiring biography for kids about the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. From her childhood singing in the choir at her father's church to becoming one of the best female vocalists ever, the highlights of Franklin's life are covered, introducing her to a new generation. The illustrations are as bright and vibrant as Aretha was, and showcase the text well. As always, the Little People, Big Dreams series has a hit!

#ArethaFranklin #NetGalley
I really liked this little biography of Aretha Franklin. She is such an inspirational figure. It's important to show little ones that people in all kinds of professions can make a difference. I also liked that this book showed how much joy audiences felt while hearing Aretha Franklin sing.

*eARC provided in exchange for an honest review*
'Aretha Franklin' by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara with illustrations by Amy Blackwell is a biography of the famous singer told for little readers.

Even as a child in Detroit, little Aretha loved to sing. Her mother was a gospel singer, but left when Aretha was little.  Aretha sang in her father's church, but wanted to be heard outside the church.  The rest is history.

I love this series, and I love the music of Aretha Franklin, so this is one of my favorites in this series.  I also really loved Amy Blackwell's fun illustrations here.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group-Frances Lincoln Children's Books, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
This book is a great primer for kids who want to learn about the mega voice behind R E S P E C T.  There is just enough interest to pique someone’s interest.   I do wish they had more on her work with Dr. Martin Luther King but otherwise a great read.
Aretha Franklin was born to sing. With the support and love of her family, Aretha's voice moved people to believe in something greater. Her music career started at her father's church and she went on to be the Queen of Soul. I would have loved to hear little Aretha sing.

This children's book will inspire passion. The illustrations are kid friendly and the life of Aretha Franklin is reflects her music and message.

A special thank you to Quarto Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
My favorite series of picture book biographies.  I love the story of Aretha Franklin and I can't wait to share this book with my students!
Another great addition to this wonderful series of mini-biographies for very young readers. I find it inspiring that the famous people this series focuses on came from all walks of life and became role-models for millions of people. It was great to find out more about the life of the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, an incredible singer and amazing woman.
The text is conscise and accessible and can easily be followed by young children, while the artwork is elegant and vibrant.
Thank you to NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for the review copy provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Aretha is one of those people I knew of without really knowing much about. I didn't really know much about her life apart from her music. Even if' I'd been intimately familiar, though, I'd have enjoyed this book. While it rather brushes over difficult subjects, it tells the story of her life clearly and concisely. The illustrations are especially strong, really complementing the text. Simple lines and clear emotions but allowing for a degree of complexity. Definitely one I'd purchase.
Aretha Franklin is a new biography for young readers in the Little People, Big Dreams series. I've reviewed a number of these titles and all of them are delightful and exuberant little books which cover the lives of famous cultural, science, arts, and innovative icons while maintaining an age-appropriate level of detail.

Due out 4th Aug 2020 from Quarto on their Frances Lincoln imprint, it'll be 32 pages and will be available in hardcover, and ebook formats.

Written by Isabel Sánchez Vegara it's well written in clear accessible language. The gentle and vibrant illustrations were well done. The art by Amy Blackwell is appealing and colorful and supports the text very well. The illustrations are rich in small subtle details which bear a closer look. (Many of her outfits in the book are taken from photographs of events at the time, for example).

Well written and appealing, I am really enjoying all of these little books. This one is a worthy addition. I also appreciate that there are suggestions for further reading in the back of the book with the timeline of Aretha's life.

Five stars. This would make a superlative reading circle book, classroom library book, or gift. Aretha was an intelligent and accomplished woman and this book is a nice tribute to an iconic entertainer.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
What a fun way to learn about the Queen of Soul. Wonderful and quirky illustrations along with facts that kids will enjoy reading. Good read.
This continuing series of acclaimed and noteworthy women is a fabulous addition to any child's book case. I love that the range of women spans history and time, as well as genres of activity, including entertainment like this one.

I didn't know much about Aretha Franklin previous to this but this wonderfully illustrated run down of her life and accomplishments is really interesting. It's colourful, engaging and easy to understand. Big thumbs up.
A gorgeous book and a great addition to the Little People Big Dreams series! I'm loving how diverse and how wide of a range this series offers! What a great way to start introducing important figures to little ones!
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review :)
Great picture book biography for young readers about the great Aretha Franklin. I love the way the author and illustrator worked together to tell the story of Aretha’s life to young people. The illustrations were wonderful too!
We have read a couple of the Little People, Big Dreams series and each one has been utterly inspirational, including this new addition about the Queen of soul, Aretha Franklin.
Written by @mariaisabelsanchezvegara, the book begins with Aretha's childhood in Detroit, where she started singing in a gospel choir at the church where her father was a minister, before telling how she secured a record contract, sung, wrote and produced incredible songs, and became the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm in awe of how Maria tells Aretha's story in such a wonderful, uplifting way (it must have been so hard deciding what to include without this being 5,000 pages long!) and @amyjpeg's illustrations are emotive and beautiful (the Respect page is particularly wonderful!).
Aretha was an incredible musician and reading her story, like those of other incredible people in the series like Rosa Parks, Amelia Earhart, and Alan Turing, can only help to inspire our little people to chase their dreams and achieve amazing things.
Great books, wonderful illustrations. I find enjoyment of these books varies and this one is wonderfully done
Another good addition to this great series. The illustrations are vibrant, reflecting the lively passion of Aretha; her story is told well highlighting a few facts even adults might not realize. All in all an enjoyable and enlightening read.
"Aretha Franklin" beautiful addition to the wonderful Little People, Big Dreams series. Much like the other books in this collection, the book tells the story of Aretha Franklin's life with beautiful illustrations and approachable language so that all readers are inspired to dream.
The Little People, Big Dreams Series is one of my favorites, and this picture book bio of Aretha Franklin is just lovely. It takes us from Aretha's childhood in Detroit, where she sang for her church choir all the way to the Presidential Inauguration of Barack Obama, where she sang for America. The illustrations were lovely. I especially enjoyed the drawings of her album covers in one picture and the depictions of 1960s dance floor fashions in another. A beautiful little book.
Little People, Big Dreams is by far my favourite children's book series! I absolutely adore these little non-fiction journeys showing us behind the scenes of many famous people. This time around it's Aretha Franklin! This is one famous lady with lots of talent that I honestly didn't know that much about (despite the fact I am willing to blast out a tune at any time by this fabulous lady).

This book is quite short and only gives a little bit of background into Aretha (not much more than I already knew), but it's still quite the gem! It's a great way to introduce the Queen of R&B and Soul to children.

Four out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.