Cover Image: Evolving Vegan

Evolving Vegan

A forward-looking vegan cookbook for those of us who no longer need to be convinced that hummus is a meal and want to get on with our plant-based lives.
I absolutely LOVE this book - as a vegan I am always on the hunt for new and interesting ways to spice up my meals, and figure out hacks to create old favorites.  I found so much helpful info in this book, it will be a constant in my rotation!
I loved the diversity of this cookbook. So many yummy delicious looking recipes. As a vegetarian who leans towards become vegan I loved this book.
“Try your hardest to cut down your intake of animal products, do your part to reduce your environmental footprint, and start taking pride in what you put into your body, because you know it’s better for your health. That’s what it means to be evolving vegan, and everyone is welcome.”

This is a gorgeous cookbook that has some beautiful photos and mostly easy to follow recipes with ingredients you can feel good about. I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that vegan food doesn’t taste good. And that just couldn’t be further from the truth. I am not 100% vegan, so I appreciate the authors stance on ‘evolving’ and that you don’t have to be 100% vegan to make a difference.
There’s something for every course, including appetizers and even dessert. Dessert is one thing that has been a struggle to find since eliminating dairy especially. So I’m looking forward to trying several in this book! The pulled ‘pork’, orange cauliflower and Boston cream pie-cake recipes are especially calling my name. I would have liked to see more recipe photos- perhaps that was just due to having a eARC copy? I am unsure. And I do find some of these recipes to be a bit more complex, where as I prefer a more quick and easy approach. But that is just personal preference!. I think this is a fabulous cookbook and would be a great for those who are already familiar cooking with vegan substitutes.

I was provided with an eARC for my honest review
There are so many mouth-watering good recipes in this cookbook!

The layout of the book is ideal with stunning food photography, easy to follow instructions, and cool title fonts.  Amongst the recipes are stories of the author's travels and information about the Vegan world, both interesting and educational.  I received the e-copy, thank you to Netgalley and SimonSchusterCanada.  If you are like me and prefer physical cookbooks, I highly recommend you buy the print copy.  It is the kind of book that is easy to revisit over and over, for enjoyment and inspiration.

I am not vegan, but I do enjoy trying Vegan food.  I desperately needed new recipes.  So far I have tried meals that will also please my 4 children, who are not as adventurous.  Here's the ones (sorry not too adventurous) that have been family hits so far:
Chocolaty Sunshine Oats
Pattaya and Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Avocado Toast (to perfection!)
Acai Bowl
Karma Soba Noodle Edmame Bowl
Kale Chips
Red Lentil Dal (Okay, the youngest two weren't thrilled, but the rest of us gobbled it up!)
Cast-Iron Mac'n Cheese
Butternut Squash Soup
Fresh Chickpea Salad

I wish there was a restaurant where I could order Mena's food!  The many other recipes look delicious, and I hope to get to them.
Vegan cuisine has been a long interest of mine so I was very excited to receive this ARC as it's pretty awesome. The recipes come from a variety of sources including the author's mother. This would be great for dinner parties and get together as it has a variety of dishes and plenty to try out. I just realized this is Mena massod aka Aladdin!! So cool. I'm literally drooling at the thought of making some of these recipes. The pictures are mouth watering lol! Great work :)
The feature of this cookbook is the restaurant connection. Here the authors made popular dishes from well known Vegan restaurants in North America their own. Having eaten at two of the mentioned restaurants this cookbook intrigued me.

The high quality of choices means these recipes naturally have many ingredients. However, to the target market for this book that won't be a problem. This cookbook will appeal to many who love entertaining. So far I have only made one dish, but that is more due to the limitations regarding covid-19. Running out the the grocery on a whim isn't practical at the moment. However, I am impressed by the recipes, the layout and plating.  Also, the introduction claims to aim to inspire the reader and this cookbook does just that. It makes me want to up my cooking game.

Also, the fact that it is a true Vegan cookbook -- not just vegetarian does not hold this selection back. I feel if presented with any of these dishes (based on photography) no one would turn it away. Beautiful and inspiring.
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I AM BORED!!)

From actor and avid traveller, Mena Massoud comes a collection of diverse, delicious, and accessible vegan recipes inspired from dishes all over the world, perfect for everyone at the table!

It’s safe to say that veganism is no longer just a trend. Lifelong vegans, part-timers, and aspiring vegans are a diverse and eclectic group of people from all walks of life and backgrounds, and yet, there’s very little out there in mainstream media that reflects this new reality.

The Evolving Vegan cookbook celebrates both flavours and stories from a wide array of plant-based eateries all across North America, proving that a plant-friendly diet is truly accessible to all! In this book, you will meet Cyrus Ichiza from Ichiza Kitchen in Portland, whose Taiwanese mother inspired him to share his Southeast Asian roots through authentically flavorful vegan dishes. You’ll learn legendary behind-the-scenes secrets of San Francisco’s Peña Pachamama, a Bolivian plant-based restaurant that serves national dishes like pique macho and aji de fideo. And you can finally conquer veganism once and for all, without sacrificing the delicious flavours you love.

Containing recipes from many different countries and cultures, and including helpful tips for lifelong and transitioning vegans alike, Evolving Vegan takes you on a food-based road trip to explore the vibrancy of veganism across North America.

I always hear from my friends how hard it is to travel and be sure that the food is vegan - some are vegan by choice but I do know a few people who are deathly allergic to milk/milk proteins so they try to ear vegan to avoid a trip to the ER. (For me it is a serious allergy to pork, and I have to have the pizza people use a newly washed slicer ... ditto the sub slicer, lest I end up sick as heck.!)

Am I going to travel to many of these places (Bolivia for one) but I did enjoy reading about these foods and wondering if I could make these dishes at home. I love to experiment, although I draw the line at Frankenfoods such as "chicken) which has 88 ingredients vs. chicken from a chicken that has one!) Plus, I have to add cheese from a mammal as I am addicted to the stuff - but if I were in these cities, I would probably run to these restaurants as the food sounds so good and I love the stories behind the chefs and the foods.

A wonderful book for the vegan in your life --- as always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍄🥑🍄🥑