Cover Image: The Long Shadow

The Long Shadow

The Long Shadow
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗺 𝗼𝗻 𝟵/𝟮𝟯/𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟬
While I am continuing to post my regular content, the BLM movement is still going on. Please keep referring to my story and linktree to find ways to help out.✊🏻‼️
。
I’m ashamed to say that I have over 80 titles from netgalley, and I’m trying catch up. Pray for me.😳
。
The Long Shadows is a thriller follows main character, psychologist Isabel Harris, who moved to outback town of Riley because her husband is assessing the town’s hospital. She is given a job of running a mother-baby therapy group, when she gets a message from one of the mother’s in distress: “The Baby Killer is going to strike again.” Forced to confront the towns past, she quickly questions everyone, even herself.😨
。
So, this was just okay. I found myself not very ‘thrilled,’ because the author tended to tell us everything that happened instead of showing us, which caused me to disconnect with the writing completely. I also found myself not caring about any of the characters, especially Isabel. She was completely dull, and didn’t have anything interesting to share. I didn’t guess the twist, which is why I gave it three stars, but that is being extremely generous for this particular novel.
。
Anything you want to share with me today? Let me know!💋
。
Dm me to talk about all things book or writing related! I’ll be looking forward to it! —Em😌

#bookstagram #books #book #bookworm #booklover #reading #bookish #bibliophile #instabook #booknerd #bookaddict #bookish #bookstagrammer #bookaholic #read #bookshelf #booksofinstagram #instabooks #booklove #igreads #reader #bookbloggerspost
Thank you NetGalley Publisher and author for this gifted ebook.

Psychologist Isabel Harris has come to the outback town of Riley because her husband Dean is assessing the hospital—the hub of the community—with a view to closing it down. Isabel, mostly occupied with her toddler, will run a mother–baby therapy group. But on the first day she gets an anonymous note from one of the mothers:

The baby killer is going to strike again. Soon.

Very well written book. With some twists added in the mix. It was an easy read and hard book to stop reading. I wish I could habe related to the characters more. But overall it was worth the read.
I’m sorry to say this felt a bit “done” for me. I’m finding myself tired of the yummy mummy faces a mystery genre lately.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.
This thriller was slow at the start but picked up a bit later on. I can’t give this a 5 star rating for that reason. Good story, characters, and setting. My interest just wasn’t grabbed at the beginning so it was hard to keep it as the story moved forward.
Dean Harris has arrived with his wife Isabel and young son Noah in Riley, a small outback town near Dubbo. They won't be there for long, while Dean reviews the operation of the town hospital to determine if it can be made to run efficiently or should be closed down. Psychologist Isabel has been hired to run a mother and baby therapy group for a small group of women. Small town Australia where everyone knows each other can seem friendly and welcoming, but long held secrets can be harbored and resentments can simmer for years ready to bubble to the surface at any time. Not long after arriving Isabel and Dean receive threats linked to the murder of a newborn baby twenty five years ago and Isabel worries that one of her patients may be a target.

Through her background in perinatal psychiatry, Buist highlights the different issues women can experience with the arrival of a new baby. Her group of women felt very real, with a range of backgrounds typical of a country town, each with their own flaws and anxieties. Buist expertly keeps the tension simmering as unrest grows in the town due to the possible closure of the hospital, an upcoming election and rumours about the unsolved murder of the baby. Isabel's fear is fed both by the whispers and claustrophobia of the town and the contrasting isolation of the house they are living in beyond the town. With twists and turns, the plot eventually culminates in a thrilling ending that will have you on the edge of your seat. Highly recommended.

Isabel, a psychologist, travels with her husband, an auditor, to a small Australian town to oversee an audit of the town's small hospital.  While there, Isabel conducts a counseling session with a group of young mothers.  This group of women is connected in various ways and a long held secret is revealed.
I agree with another reviewer that the beginning was hard for me to get into because of the amount of psychoanalysis in the story. Although parts of the story are revealed here, it was too much like listening in on therapy sessions and that bored me.

The story does take off more from the middle and the ending did surprise me. It was very atmospheric and you could feel the small town oppression from the buried secrets in the tight knit community.

Isabel and Dean are both in Ridley to do a job. He is investigating the local hospital to see if funding should continue while she is a doctor doing therapy for new mothers. The job Dean is doing is especially unpopular locally and they are not welcomed.  Of course there are many jobs at stake for the town.

Overall, I did enjoy the writing style and I would definitely be open to reading the next book from this author, minus the therapy.
Close encounter to the simmering tension of small town where the people are truly unhappy with their life choices. The secrets they kept gnawing their stomaches, the bottled up resentment, anger, fear cloud their judgements. They are not pleased some outsiders’ moving to their secluded place and determine the impactful changes of their lives.

Something ominous and threatening already killed the town’s spirit and now the people are afraid of losing their homes and jobs after the sudden move of Dean and Isabel Harris move to town!

Isabel is a psychologist who starts a mother-baby group with five mothers: tense Sophie, Teagan coming from politically powerful family, Roisin who looks confused and her mind is mostly elsewhere, agitated police officer Kate and Zahra who suffers from postpartum anxiety.

They don’t give any trustworthy, genuine vibes. They’re like ticking bombs which can blast at any sudden second. And of course finding a threatening note about baby killer’s striking doesn’t help her ease her worries.
Her husband is the decision maker about the hospital’s near future: running an intense operation for assessing it to make sure it can be saved to run efficiently or it should be closed down.

Of course threats start occur connected with a 25 years old cold case of child’s brutal murder.
Isabel gets more anxious as the hatred and unwelcome attention of town people grow. She is also worried that the killer may aim one of the group moms.

I enjoyed the portraits of struggling small town people and the dark, eerie, tense atmosphere of the story telling. The characters were mostly disturbing and seances of mothers’ group a little flat, slow but the conclusion of the story was breathtaking.

I always keen on reading more Aussie authors’ works and this book gripped my attention with its pessimistic, sad, claustrophobic vibes which earned my solid 4 stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Text Publishing for sharing this intriguing ARC with me in exchange my honest opinions.
I would like to start by giving a huge thank you to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for and ARC for an honest and unbiased review
Oh my what an awesome ride this book took me on.  I was hooked from start to finish and so sad when it was over. Great Book
A psychologist rattled by a near-miss with her own child holds a mothers' therapy group in the small outback town where her husband is spearheading an unpopular assessment of the corrupt local hospital.  At her first meeting, she receives an anonymous note:  "The baby killer is going to strike again. Soon."

I was drawn to the premise of this book and enjoyed the climactic chase scene through the well-described Australian setting.  Unfortunately, I found the main character unsympathetic, illogical, and unethical, and the unraveling of the plot slow and overburdened with psychoanalyzing.

Many thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Intense gripping psychological crime thriller that blew me away. Real page turner with tons of twists and turns and plenty of suspense.