Cover Image: Grown

Grown

This was a hard book to get through. Tiffany D. Jackson has such a way of writing difficult stories. While the material was guy-wrenching, the story is so important. Highly recommend Grown to all readers!
Grown is the story of Enchanted, who is seduced and then deceived by music star Korey Fields. While reading the book, I heard that it was based off of the events of the R. Kelly scandal. I appreciated the character development, particularly how Enchanted grew from being this naive young woman, swept up in a too-good-to-be-true deal, to one who appreciates what she had all along. This story sheds light on the grooming of young women, and I'm glad it spreads awareness to an important topic.
Tiffany Jackson writes such powerful, heartbreaking books, and GROWN is no exception. The non-linear timeline here worked beautifully, and the characters were so raw and real. Outstanding pacing and plot. Highly recommend.
I love Tiffany D. Jackson’s books, and she happens to be my dream guest author (for future days when authors tour in person again)! GROWN has an intriguing structure, opening with a big reveal and then taking the reader back in time to accompany 17-year old Enchanted Jones on her journey from aspiring singer to murder suspect. A page-turner with a ripped-from-the-headlines vibe, much to discuss (especially with teen readers), and an Author's Note with resources for anyone in a situation like Enchanted's.
This book was so powerful! A great look into what can appear "glamorous"  - a warning for young people consumed with ideas of fame and instant celebrity. It also loudly shouts out about the injustice still so steeped in our societal norms.
3.75 stars. It was a little too heavy-handed at times and it was hard for me to feel like I really knew Corey. It was also hard to follow when everything was going down at Corey’s place. The premise is intriguing, but there were mature thematic elements that made it inaccessible for many teens and school libraries. Some elements were also explained away too easily or dealt with in too basic of a way.
This book was not at all what I expected, but I loved it nonetheless. Some very intense themes and it is not for the faint of heart - but definitely a story worth telling. WIll be recommending!
I'll come right out and say it: Grown is not an easy book to read (in particular, readers should be aware of trigger warnings for sexual assault, mental and physical abuse, and gaslighting). While not an easy book to read, Grown is an exceptionally important book to read because it sheds light on a narrative that is far too often overlooked. Enchanted's story is one that is happening to young Black women, men, and people across the world. In Grown, Tiffany D. Jackson has crafted one of the most important and powerful young adult contemporaries to date that I would urge anyone and everyone to read.
This story was extremely heavy and hard to read too much in a single setting. Seeing Enchanted lured away was hard to experience, because the vulnerability of this character was so realistic. I love how Tiffany had the reader even questioning the reliability of Enchanted which nailed home the message of trust in a clever way..  The writing was brilliant and I will be thinking of this one for a while.
A powerful look at how fame and power effect life around us. Enchanted's story is heartbreaking, yet shows how inner strength and resolve can create a fierce character who learns the best way to fins herself and her voice.
The beginning of this book had me completely drawn in and unable to put it down. Enchanted has dreams of being a singer and meets a famous artist at a talent showcase. Korey Fields takes her under his wing and promises to make her a star, until things turn very wrong. I was disappointed in the way this story wrapped up. It feels like the last few chapters were very rushed.
Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson is an excellent young adult novel. It has so many twists that truly surprised me, and I couldn't put it down! The way abuse and mental health are portrayed through Enchanted's experience is simply impeccable. You will find yourself simultaneously frustrated and cheering for this young woman as she figures out how to navigate this new, frightening world she finds herself in.
This was a really good book that kept me on the edge of my seat. Trigger warnings for sexual assault, abusive relationships, grooming.
I thought that the premise of this book was as important as it was deeply painful to read. I thought that the storytelling was a little bit all over the place. That worked sometimes because it shows us how young Enchanted is, but it also made parts of the book, specifically the ending, feel rushed and confusing. The commentary on how society treats women and girls who have been assaulted and raped, and Black women and girls specifically, is vital to talk about. This story was heartbreaking and bleak and made me incredibly sad.
Thanks to NetGalley and Katherine Tegen Books for this e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

Wow..this was good. It's about a young Black girl who gets "discovered" by a famous singer who essentially grooms her and becomes her abuser. The author notes that this isn't about R Kelly but about how the industry uses and abuses young Black women--then once the women go public against their abusers, the media/public end up re-victimizing them again by not trusting their word.

It was definitely hard to read at different parts but it was eye opening to see how the MC was quick to get judged for what happened to her and to make her believe she was losing her mind. Even as a reader, seeing everything she's gone through--you start to question her sanity at one point as well (great writing). The ending wasn't the happiest but I felt that it was all believable and that makes this book so heartbreakingly scary.

Again, this book is a very important one and really needs to be read/talked about more.

*Content warnings--they are listed in the beginning of the book.

5/5
Tiffany D. Jackson has a superb talent for crafting novels that draw the reader in immediately and 'Grown' is no exception. The message comes through loud and clear as an aspiring singer gets wrapped up in the possibility of success and the charisma of an established performer, mirroring how the powerful can continually take advantage of their position.
Grown was a book I couldn't put down. It touched on sensitive topics that are sadly  still a  big part of our world and culture. We need more stories that reveal the truth, heart wrenching at times but necessary. A powerful book and a must read.
Wow.  That was an emotionally exhausting read.  Suspense and adrenaline right at the start and then a never-ending waver between heartache, anger, and more suspense.  At times, I thought this book would be the death of me.  It is rare for a book to evoke such a response from me so I’m equally impressed and resentful.  How dare Ms. Jackson make me cry over Imaginary people!  The worst part of the whole thing is that these people aren’t totally imaginary.  This sort of abuse, kidnapping, sex trafficking, and rape is happening to real girls and young women. There are so many different ways young women and teen girls are victimized by older men who should (and do) know better.  If they didn’t know any better they wouldn’t hide it, right?  I hope parents will read Grown and make sure to make a safe and open space for their daughters to talk to them truthfully about their lives.  I hope others will Read it and gain more of an open mind or maybe donate to one of the charities that help victims.
 I think I would use Grown in a teen book club setting. It is such an emotional read and heavy topic that I think it begs discussion.  Discussion on a book like this also could lead to very interesting conversation and hopefully new Insights.
This book has been celebrated among my peers and I will be purchasing a copy if I end up in higher grades classroom teaching.
This is the perfect novel to start a conversation with reluctant readers. It covers so many important topics that students will no doubt have opinions about and want to share. The chapters are short and the content is thrilling-students will not be able to put this book down. Tiffany D. Jackson is the put author to put into the hands of reluctant readers and students looking for fast, engaging, and diverse reads!