Cover Image: In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze

As always, Christina Lauren knocked it out of the park with this seasonal read! It was so refreshing with the certain "twist" that this book presented. Highly recommend!
Mae has woken up on an airplane. How did she get here? The last thing she can remember is sitting in the back of her parents car, a pit opening up in her stomach over the drunken mistake she'd made the previous night, when a truck had come barreling towards them and then - she'd woken up on the way to the Christmas vacation she'd just been running from.

Groundhog day meets Christina Lauren's reliable lovable characters in this sweet but ultimately shallow romance.
In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren is the perfect Holiday feel good read!
💙
This book has everything I could possibly want from a Holiday Romance novel. The characters are fun, diverse, and completely relatable. If you have a big, crazy family like mine, it's easy to recognize these characters sitting around our own Christmas table.
❤️
Groundhog Day used to be one of my favourite movies. Then Supernatural had a Groundhog Day themed episode, which I've watched a million times. I can honestly say that this book has joined the ranks of my absolute favourite days being relived.
I love this author, but this book did not do it for me. I was really bored. It took forever for me to finish it. I will read other books by these authors but hopefully I will enjoy them more :)

Thanks Netgalley for this ARC.
This was very cute Holiday romance and not at all what I was expecting! The time loop thing kind of threw me but it was interesting
#bookreview #inaholidaze ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I loved this Holiday read. I’m not going to lie, I was getting a little scared at the beginning. I had a hard time getting into it but luckily right after the first quarter of the book, it pick up and I ended up loving it. After that, I was hooked and was rooting hard for Mae! I loved all the characters and the storyline was unique and gave me all the Christmas feels! I recommend checking it out. It’s out now!

Thank you to the publisher and @netgalley for providing a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

#NetGalley #ARC #holidayread #holidaybook #bookstagram #bookstagrammer #bookblog #bookblogger #bookish #books #booklover #booknerd #booksbooksbooks #bookcommunity #bookworm #bibliophile #goodreads #bookblogger #bookblog #booklife #reading #spiveys📚club #booksofinstagram #readstagram #readeveryday #alwaysreading #allthebooks #bookrecommendations #bookreviews
This was definitely a cute book with a fun concept that has become more common in fiction lately. I love the fun sense of romance that Christina Lauren brings to their books, as well as the emotions that occur when the path to romance doesn’t go smoothly.
It's official - my thriller-loving heart does have a place in it for Christmas rom-coms! And In A Holidaze made it happen.
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada and Netgalley for the eARC for review!
Maelyn Jones is living in a time loop, à la Groundhog Day. The week leading up to Christmas is always spent at a family friend's cabin, with those who have been part of the social circle since her parents were young.
Mae finds herself abruptly out of the cabin festivities, however, as she's thrown back in time to the beginning of the trip. Repeatedly.
Each new time loop takes on a varied series of events.
One variance that does not change is her crush on family friend Andrew Hollis. As their relationship takes shape, will Mae be sent back to the beginning again or allowed to see it through?
I loved this fun Christmas tale, full of likeable characters and depiction of holiday traditions with friends who become as close as family.
This is my second Christina Lauren book and a perfect segue into Christmas season! Recommended!
I really enjoyed reading Christina Lauren's new Groundhog Day'esque story! In a Holidaze was filled with cute and light-hearted holiday fun, and a charming friends-to-lovers romance.
It was the perfect feel-good read to cozy up with over the weekend.

______

*Complimentary copy for review provided by Simon & Schuster Canada and Netgalley. All opinions expressed here are honest and entirely my own.
My heart is full of love and Christmas Cheer.

What a cute story, I absolutely loved it! I will be honest though, I felt like the whole groundhog day thing was a last minute addition. It didn't feel like they committed to it enough given that she only relives the day three times.

I really truly loved the book and I thought it had such hilarious and sweet scenes that I almost feel like it would have been better without the magical aspect.

All in all though, I truly enjoyed myself and left the biggest smile on my face.
Another really cute read by Christina Lauren. I absolutely love this idea a Groundhog day meets Happy Death Day   but over Christmas. I really liked the characters and the struggle of  finding what makes you happy. And how the best laid plans can still go awry. My only negative point would be that my arc was formatted weird so instead of scroll side to side it was up and down and this definitely didn't keep me as engrossed in the book. Also Theo deserved more.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
This book was everything I like in a Christina Lauren book. The characters had great chemistry and were fun to read about. I loved Mae and her strong personality. Andrew was a perfect match for her and I enjoyed reading their interactions.  I don’t read many books containing time travel but I thought the authors did an excellent job of the Groundhog trope in this one.  This is definitely a book I’ll reread at some point!
I don't read a lot of romance but I couldn't turn down a Christmas romance.  Yes I did read this book in October. LOL.  I would describe this book as a Groundhog's Day Christmas romance.  That's really all you need to know.  And that it's written by Christina Lauren,  Go get it.  It's guaranteed to put you in a Christmas mood.
Maeyln Jones lives an ordinary life, an unfulfilling job, an unrequited love. Her and her family live for their Christmas tradition of going up to the cabin for a week over the holidays and spending time with their closest friends, who are like family. After this particular stay, Maelyn has found herself feeling awkward after she drunkenly hooks up with one of her family friends (the brother of the man she is in love with!), and it is made worse when Ricky & Lisa (the owners of the cabin) share their plans to sell. On her way home, Maelyn is miserable and wishes the universe would show her what would make her happy now that she has lost her favourite tradition, and she gets into a car crash. When she wakes up, she realizes she has rewound to the start of the week and has a chance to make some changes...

This book is about the holidays and traditions and the friends that you choose to be family. It also addresses the fact that sometimes we need change, which I think is so relevant this year with covid most likely changing the way we celebrate the holidays this year. It is very heartwarming and a great holiday read.

I found the first half when she is restarting the week over and over a bit harder to get through because we aren't really getting into much plot or character development during that time, but I thoroughly enjoyed the second half when Maelyn finally gets things right and stops reversing into the past. The love story that ensues is really sweet and romantic.

I highly recommend this as a holiday read! Tis the season!

Thank you to Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the eGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Christina Lauren have done it again! By it, I mean slapped together yet another fabulous romance novel with a plot that packs a punch to the heart around all the chuckles.

This is very much the Christmas version of Groundhog Day where Maelyn Jones continues to relive the same Christmas until she gets things right. Every year, Maelyn's family travels to the same Colorado cabin with the families of her parents' college roomies. Maelyn already hates her life, with moving back in with her parents and a job she can't enjoy. But after a drunk and sloppy makeout session goes down with Theo (when she's been in love with his brother for a decade), things get worse when it is announced the cabin is being sold. On the way to the airport, their little family car of sadness is hit, only for Maelyn to wake up on the plane to the cabin to do it all over again. And over, and over, and over.

This was a great book to get into the Christmas spirit, and I think that's something a lot of us need in 2020. Especially when it took a shot at the importance of Christmas. For Maelyn's Christmas, everything is run by tradition. The "kids" sleep in bunks in the basement, the first day they have a snow creature building competition to get first pick of steak, the next is sledding, a scavenger hunt. Traditions are important, but they can get stale and boring. And Maelyn's do-overs let her explore that and realize what matters more, which is the people you're with. Is that cheesy and cliche? Ah, who cares. It's true!

I really liked the thinking behind the cosmic twist that kept resetting Maelyn's vacation. She asked the universe to show her what makes her happy, and it punished her when she made the wrong choice. Basically, you dead. It wasn't until she started letting go and doing things for herself that she got to stay. Quitting your stupid job and telling the guy you've crushed on for half your life how you feel are good places to start.

I’ve never had so much angst reading a romcom before, and because I predicted the plot wrong and didn’t figure that out until the 85% mark. I mean, kudos to Christina Lauren for keeping me on my toes, but I really wrecked my reading experience for myself. Maelyn has been in love with Andrew since she was a teenager, but it was always assumed by the family that she would get together with his younger brother, Theo. And I, naturally, assumed the same. I expected her to do what needed to happen with Andrew, then realize that he sucks and Theo is bae. Oh my god, I was so wrong. I spent almost the whole book looking for the flaws in Andrew when really, he was delightful. So that's on me.

Overall, another smash from Christina Lauren that I finished in pretty much one day.
This writing duo is hit or miss for me but luckily this one was a winner! A cute and sweet Groundhog Day like story with a festive theme. I’m not always a fan of a time loop or having to suspend disbelief but it worked for this fun plot!

I could totally see this as a movie! A feel good rom com to get you into the holiday spirit. Thanks to Simone & Schuster Canada & Netgalley for the #gifted copy to review!

Ps light on the steam for those of you that prefer a closed door type romance!
Yes, I am aware the calendar just turned to November but the world of publishing cares not and SO MANY Christmassy titles have already been released. Including Christina Lauren's latest, In a Holidaze. I read it over Thanksgiving weekend (reminder: I'm in Canada and I celebrated Thanksgiving in mid-October...I'm not time traveling like the main character in this book) and was completely sucked into the story. It's festive, it's fun, and it's so heartwarming.

Here's the synopsis:
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…but not for Maelyn Jones. She’s living with her parents, hates her going-nowhere job, and has just made a romantic error of epic proportions.

But perhaps worst of all, this is the last Christmas Mae will be at her favorite place in the world—the snowy Utah cabin where she and her family have spent every holiday since she was born, along with two other beloved families. Mentally melting down as she drives away from the cabin for the final time, Mae throws out what she thinks is a simple plea to the universe: Please. Show me what will make me happy.

The next thing she knows, tires screech and metal collides, everything goes black. But when Mae gasps awake…she’s on an airplane bound for Utah, where she begins the same holiday all over again. With one hilarious disaster after another sending her back to the plane, Mae must figure out how to break free of the strange time loop—and finally get her true love under the mistletoe.
I have to admit I was a bit wary of Lauren's newest novel. The last few of theirs (another reminder: Christina Lauren is a pseudonym for author duo Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings) have been just...fine. Enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking. But In a Holidaze? Exactly what I wanted and needed. It was the type of Christina Lauren I expect and I'm so glad it held up to my (high) expectations.

I know I'm not alone with my tendency to not reread a synopsis before diving into a book. And, to be honest, I don't even think I read what this book was about before requesting it. Christina Lauren AND Christmas? Sign. Me. Up. Therefore, I had forgotten/not known that there was a really fun time loop element to the story. For those who don't like any whiff of fantasy or magic in their stories: fear not. Lauren works the time loop into the plot in such a way that it just...makes sense. You forget, sort of, that Mae has somehow been living the same week over and over and over again and you just roll with the story as she tries to figure out what exactly it is she wants out of life.

While this novel is billed as a rom com, there's also a hefty dose of real life drama that Mae is dealing with. It's less about the romantic Happily Ever After (though that is a part of the story) and more about her feeling settled in her life and doing what makes her happy. She's in her mid-twenties and I remember kind of feeling the same at that age. Hell, I still feel like that sometimes at 33. There was a really powerful scene right at the start of the book, before the first loop, where Mae wants to asks the universe for what she wants but she realizes she actually has no idea what she wants. So, she asks to be shown what will make her happy. Haven't we all wished for that a time or two?

There's a strong Christmas element to the novel. That's not always the case these days with Christmas books but In a Holidaze gets right to what many of us feel is the most important part of the holiday: family and traditions. And that family isn't just your blood relatives. It's your found family, those who are the most important people in your life. The group in this novel get together every Christmas and trim the tree and have snow sculpture competitions, and eat and drink far too much. You can feel the love, and the cheer, and that's what I loved about this story.

In a Holidaze was one of my favourite reads in October. Not only that, but I think all the holiday books I have yet to read will have a tough go ahead of them if they want to beat out Christina Lauren's for the top spot on my holiday reading list this year.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Simon & Schuster Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*
4.5 - Christina Lauren did it again! I don't think that i have not liked any of their books. Though I haven't read any of their Beautiful series yet. So we shall see how it goes. I loved the groundhog day aspect of the book. I liked how the authors didn't make the story too repetitive as I was worried it would be because of the Groundhog day aspect of the book. I loved all the characters and Christmas is fast approaching so this a perfect comfort read if you are looking for something warm and fuzzy to read. I wish there were more moments between Andrew and Mae as I felt their relationship didn't have a lot of moments to really build that relationship. Thought they have been family friends ever since they were born because their parents were friends in college so I could just be other thinking everything. I also loved the dynamics between all the characters and how they were all different.
*Thank you Netgalley for the copy for an honest review*
As usual, Christina Lauren wrote a super fun and cute book! The love story was great, plus the Christmas feels were 100% there! I'm really happy they wrote a Christmas story and they definitely made me look forward to that season to reread it!
Thank you Netgalley, Gallery Books and Christina Lauren.
I absolutely loved this wonderful story .
A story which lifts your spirits during this difficult time of year. It’s a story of family, Christmas, Christmas traditions, friendships and Love.
I smiled, laughed out loud and cried while reading this book.
Great characters, I especially enjoyed Mae and Andrew and their friends to lovers journey.
I read this story in 2 days and it was just what I needed.
Please continue writing these wonderful stories, I love you guys.
Highly recommend. 5 stars 🌟