Cover Image: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie

I could not put this book down. The author has crafted an account of Agatha Christie's 11 day disapoearance worthy of the grand same herself. Alternating chapters detail the search as well as her life leading up to her disappearance.
I have a confession to make; I have never read any of Christie's books despite loving murder mysteries. However, I have been interested in her disappearance since that episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed this take on her disappearance and the intertwining timelines. It was smart to focus only on her husband during her disappearance to keep the mystery going despite knowing that she is still alive during this ordeal. I loved the little twist at the end as well! Now off to read some Agatha Christie!
As a die-hard fan of Agatha Christie, this historical mystery about the author herself going missing and reappearing with amnesia was a total hit for me. Realistic, well-written and absolutely thrilling.

I'm afraid to drop any hints beyond this general picture because I'm afraid of killing it for everyone with spoilers, but let's just say that Agatha's husband WAS KEY to the plot! I can't say anything more. But this story had me totally hooked, and I did not expect any of the twists in the slightest.

Overall, even though I rarely read (and enjoy) historical fiction, this book is certainly an exception as I can't help but give it a 5-star rating. And while I haven't read anything else by Marie Benedict, I actually own a copy of her most famous novel "The Other Einstein" on my Kindle, so I'm excited to get to it soon.

*Thank you to the Publisher for a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Marie Benedict is one of my favorite writers!  Every real person she has written about- her stories have made me want to know more!   In this story I was so invested that I’m sure to have a huge book hang over.  This will be one of the best books of 2021
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. And it is way too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books??  BTW - stay home and save lives!!!!!!!! No tan is worth dying for.

In December 1926, Agatha Christie goes missing.

Investigators find her empty car on the edge of a deep, gloomy pond, the only clues some tire tracks nearby and a fur coat left in the car—strange for a frigid night. Her husband and daughter have no knowledge of her whereabouts, and England unleashes an unprecedented manhunt to find the up-and-coming mystery author. Eleven days later, she reappears, just as mysteriously as she disappeared, claiming amnesia and providing no explanations for her time away.

The puzzle of those missing eleven days has persisted. With her trademark exploration into the shadows of history, acclaimed author Marie Benedict brings us into the world of Agatha Christie, imagining why such a brilliant woman would find herself at the center of such a murky story.

What is real, and what is a mystery? What role did her unfaithful husband play, and what was he not telling investigators?

A master storyteller whose clever mind may never be matched, Agatha Christie's untold history offers perhaps her greatest mystery of all.

Marie Benedict is the one the BEST historical novelists out there and this book added to her history of INCREDIBLE books. What happened to Agatha is, of course, subjective but totally in sync with the book's them of reality vs. mystery.

The research in this book is REAL but the book does not read as non-fiction. The writing is enticing and there is now a waitlist in my family to read this book next - it does not come out until January so I am very, very lucky...I almost feel pregnant with this book and you have to wait for the birth and antenatal triumph of it in 2021. (I certainly hope by then that we will be out of quarantine as I cannot take it much longer!)

This is a great pick for a book club as her novels have always flown off the shelf and been loved by my fellow book club readers, so add this one to your TBR pile! But do not, I repeat, DO NOT watch the dreadful movie 1979 movie "Agatha" with Dustin Hoffman in it - it is a waste of your brain cells.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it😷😷😷😷😷

Her other books are:
****************************
Lady Clementine - Jan. 2020
Only Woman in the Room - Jan. 2019
Carnegie's Maid - Jan. 2018
Other Einstein - Oct.. 2016
I was absolutely engaged by this book. It is well written and retells the story of the disappearance of Agatha Christie that became infamous and forever connected with her name.

I understood her motives for plotting this disappearance after learning that her husband was abandoning her for another woman. Every woman who reads this will understand her rage at both his perfidy and insistence at protecting his mistress, at the risk of Agatha  ruining her own reputation.

His lack of respect for her genius and skill led her to her actions. Women’s book groups will LOVE this and certainly spend hours debating the justness of her plan.

Thank you Netgalley for this excellent and exciting book.