Cover Image: Valcour

Valcour

I would like to thank St Martin's Press and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book and give an honest opinion. This is a time frame I have always been curious about, especially because of the musical Hamilton. This book was fascinating and made you feel that you were actually in the American Revolution. It was a meaty and descriptive book and I am glad that I read it.
Valcour: The 1776 Campaign That Saved the Cause of Liberty by Jack Kelly is a look into the little known battle which helped continue the Revolution. At the front, Benedict Arnold, a man who fought with valor and courage, before he became known as the traitor to the American cause. During the summer of 1776, a British incursion in the north from Canada loomed. In response, a heroic defense was mounted. Under the direction of Philip Schuyler, underrated general and Alexander Hamilton’s future father-in-law, Horatio Gates, an ambitious former British officer, and the notorious Benedict Arnold, the Patriots constructed a small fleet of gunboats on Lake Champlain in northern New York. As an experienced sea captain, Arnold was able to devise a strategy that confounded their overconfident opponents. They would confront the full might of the British Royal Navy in a three-day battle near Valcour Island. Their effort surprised the arrogant British, who were forced to call off their invasion. At the core of Valcour is the story of people. In the early days of the Revolutionary War, the Patriots endured one defeat after another, with America’s Independence hanging in the balance. Two events would help turn the tide: Washington’s bold attack on Trenton on December 26, 1776 and the Battle of Valcour Island on October 11, 1776.
I love history, especially American history. So when I got the opportunity to read about the Battle of Valcour Island, a battle I knew nothing about, I jumped at the chance. Jack Kelly weaves a history account that is as wild and suspenseful as the American wilderness that flowed and captivates as you read about the crucial and least known campaign when the scrappy navy of the young nation took on the British and their mighty sea power. I loved learning more about Benedict Arnold before he became the infamous traitor we all know him as. Mr Kelly describes him as a paradox of history as the reasons for his decision to betray his nation have been left up to debate and conjecture. Although Mr Kelly does present situations and attitudes that would certainly have contributed to Arnold’s turn. I also enjoyed hearing about the place names which memorialize the battle’s events and keep the memory alive of this important event. I also enjoyed and was humbled by the stories of the men who fought the battle, whose names don’t appear in the history books. Without their sacrifice and courage under almost certain failure, the fight for American Independence would have ended before it truly began. I highly recommend Valcour, an excellent account of the crucial battle.

Valcour: the 1776 Campaign that Saved the Cause of Liberty is available in hardcover, eBook and audiobook.
Intriguing read about an important, yet relatively unknown piece of American history. Most readers will recognize one of the central figures of this book, Benedict Arnold, and avid historians will likely gain a greater knowledge of the American Revolution upon completion of reading this book.
So much was never taught in my American History classes. Such a shame, too. I had no idea of our interaction with Canada and that the event was led by Benedict Arnold. Thank you to St. Martin's Press for offering me the chance to fill in a big gap in my education.
In school we learned the basics about 1776 and how Benedict Arnold was a traitor. This missing piece was a great read. If Arnold hadn't had the genius to figure out how to get the upper hand on the British when he was outgunned, outmanned and commanding a small fleet our revolution would have been ended then and there. Books as well written as Valcour bring history alive and it was more than the military aspect of this moment in history that hooked me, it was the authors ability to bring the people's voices alive.
Thanks to St. Martin's and NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
This was an interesting take on the war for independence. This book covers a lesser known conflict in Canada involving Benedict Arnold that I hadn't know much about going into the book and that's exactly why I enjoyed this read. The writing was entertaining and kept me sucked in and I walked away with a new understanding of Arnold.

I usually only hear about Benedict Arnold due to the traitor aspects of him, bit this book helped me understand why he was such an important figure due to his brilliant military strategy. The book explores the path that led to him becoming a traitor that made me more sympathetic to him than I expected to be. Highly recommend this for anyone interested in Benedict Arnold and the battle fought on Lake Champlain.

Disclaimer: I received an arc from the publisher in return for an honest review.
Really interesting book about a battle a piece of history I knew nothing about.I was fascinated by this time in history very well written very interesting.#netgalley #st.martinsbooks
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Until now, little known events turned the tide of the Revolutionary war. With the ease of a story teller, the author shares the account of this battle for independence; the players and the skirmishes, the military insights and the behind-the-scenes drama on both sides. Well written and informative.
This book explores a part of American history I did not know.  Valcour Island on Lake Champlain between Vermont and New York was the stage for the ‘United States’ first naval battle.  Although the force, led by Benedict Arnold, was defeated, it was an important step in the fight for freedom. I think those who enjoy American History, military history will find this informative and engaging.
Valcour is a fantastic telling of a lesser known and incredibly important Revolutionary War battle and the events surrounding it. I loved the very story-like way that the history was told, drawn heavily from first-person accounts and covering the perspectives of both the Americans and the British. From the beginning, I found it very engaging and I was genuinely fascinated by the history.
Hanging over the story is also the legacy of Benedict Arnold in particular, most notoriously known for being a traitor who shifted over to the British side during the war. Jack Kelly's handling of this is so well done, highlighting Arnold's triumphs amidst the knowledge that his actions later on would forever tarnish his name. I appreciated Kelly's efforts at complicating the narrative around Arnold, as well as around the figures of Horatio Gates and Phillip Schuyler, giving them due credit for their wartime efforts surrounding this battle and the ways in which the success of this effort helped save the revolutionary cause. For those looking for a really interesting and nuanced look at an often overlooked but deeply important part of the history of the Revolutionary War, I highly recommend this book!
I selected this book from NetGalley in hopes of getting a better picture of Benedict Arnold than was taught when I was a kid (he was basically Evil McEvilness) or the revisionary version I encountered in late years as reaction to all that flag-waving rah rah of the fifties, in which pretty much everyone, including Washington, was depicted as an opportunistic scumbag.

I wanted an even-handed account, so that I could understand his motivations for his shift in sides. Though I’ve learned from other books that changing sides (sometimes two or three or five times) during the Revolutionary War was not unheard of at all. But this was a very high profile case, and came at a time that especially hurt.

The main focus of the book is on three people, though the author takes plenty of time to flesh out other figures of the time and place—revolutionaries, British and Native Americans, commanders and commoners.

The three are Horatio Gates, the commander who turned a disparate bunch of farmers and artisans into an effective army; Philip Schuyler, who served as a sort of task force engineer in putting together vessels for the water battle, and of course Benedict Arnold, who proved to be a smart, courageous, if impatient and arrogant commander on both land and water.

The actual battle does not commence until halfway through the book, permitting the author to build a vivid, excellent picture of the situation, the emotions, the motivations, and of course the cost.

I not only got what I asked for—a basic understanding of what led Arnold from Point A to Point B (and its cost) but I got the benefit of a vivid, well-paced book that lays out clearly the strategy and tactics of the period, without sacrificing interest.
What an eye opener for the reader!  Well researched and informative, especially for those lovers of history.  Never having heard of the battle of Valcour and ignorant of the importance of Lake Champlain and Ticonderoga I eagerly read this well written account.  Jack Kelly’s writing style is easy to read .  The brutal battle at Valcour came to life within the pages of this read as did the heroic efforts of so many patriots.  Sad to realize that politicians had the power, even in the 1770’s to make or break the careers of so many of the brave men fighting the British for our independence.  I honestly did not know much about Benedict Arnold.  One particular quote really hit home with me.
“Do their flaws erase their greatness?  Can we honor their achievements while at the same time condemning their treachery?”
Many many thanks to Jack Kelly, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for affording me the opportunity to read an arc of this engaging account of the buildup, battle, and aftermath of the important 1776 campaign.
Valcour by Jack Kelly gives a bit of history just prior to their independence from the UK. The notorious Benedict Arnold,  Phillip Schyler (Alexander Hamilton’s father-in-law) and Horacio Gates try to invade Canada through northern New York around Valcour Island. This is a battle mostly left unheard in the history books.  While they were mostly defeated, George Washington’s attack on Trenton and the battle of Valcour Island turns the tide for independence.
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an advanced copy of this historic book.
#Netgalley #StMartinsPress #Valcour
I don't remember hearing about the Battle of Valcour Island before.   I enjoy learning about history and this book was an eye opener for me.   I found this to be an interesting read and the author did a good job of making me feel   like I was there.   I learned quite a bit and I will be looking for more books by Jack Kelly.
I learned something about the Revolution when I read this. I vaguely knew that there was some fighting around Lake Champlain, but didn’t know the extent of it. Kelly digs in and shows how Benedict Arnold (yes, that guy) stopped the British from swooping down from Canada and probably ending the fight in the first year. This is meticulously researched and written in great detail, while still being relatively easy to read.

If you like military history, this would be a good read. You need to pay attention because there is a lot going on, but you will come out the other side knowing a lot more.
If you love reading about historical battles this is a great book.
The only thing I knew about Benedict Arnold was that he was considered a traitor of the American Revolution. It was very interesting to read about the Battle of Valcour, what happened before and after.
You got a good feeling of the mental state of the fighting man.  Because I’m familiar with most of the areas described I didn’t need a map to visualize the traveling or areas the fighting took place but I think the book could have used some simple pen drawings of the various ships used to see the size and differences.  Like any historical book I’m sure there is some minor misinformation but the Author did major research on the subject and unless you were there you have to rely on documents, previously written books and letters.  Even letters are not always 100 percent dependable. The writer might not outright lie but phrasing the contents in such a way that everything look favorable on his person.
Benedict Arnold was a unique person. Self-made business men who manage to accumulate his wealth.  A good military person but could not play the political games to help his career which left him a bitter men.  This was a very interesting read.
According to Shakespeare “The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones. So, let it be with Caesar.” He forgot to mention all the other flawed people who have done great things, but some incident turned them into historical pariahs. Take Benedict Arnold for example. His name is synonymous with the word traitor. Should his good deeds at Valcour Island be forgotten and swept away?
Well, maybe so; however, had General Arnold not led brilliantly and decisively during the 1776 campaign, the Revolutionary War might have ended differently.

I enjoyed the book Valcour because it discussed a military campaign I knew nothing about. Through letters and other research, the author showed the personalities of Arnold, Gates, and Schuyler and described the battles in depth and how they were able to overcome extreme obstacles. The author treated the main characters professionally and in an unbiased manner. He also used humor to enrich the story.
The first part of the book moved slowly, but picked up quickly and energetically during the battles.
This is a great book for people who want to know more about early or unknown military battles, navy battles, war time personalities, or other early American incidence.
Thank you NetGalley, Jack Kelly, and St Martin's Press for the e-arc of this book. The opinions are my own.
Every reader interested in the early American Revolution battles should read this book. Kelly presents a well-researched and well-written exploration of the Battle of Valcour Island in Lake Champlain, VT. This battle is not readily taught outside of New England and is one of many forgotten battles. Focusing on Benedict Arnold, we get to see another side to the man America views only as a traitor.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read an advance reading copy.
4 stars for a story of an overlooked battle in the American Revolutionary War. This history book starts out a little slow, but picks up the tempo at the battle. i thought that the description of the naval battle on Lake Champlain near what is now New York State's Valcour Island was excellent.
In 1776 Brtain sent a superior naval force with experienced sailors down the Richelieu river from Quebec to Lake Champlain with the goal of capturing Fort Ticonderoga and smashing the Revolution in its infancy. If they had succeeded, they would have split the colonies in two halves, separating New England from the rest of the colonies.
They failed because of Benedict Arnold, today reviled as a traitor. But he was the general who organized the building of warships and led his inexperienced sailors and soldiers against a superior British force. The British had more and bigger ships. Their ships had bigger and more accurate canons. But Arnold chose an excellent defensive position, forcing the British to attack him against the wind, while Arnold's stationary ships, between Valcour Island and the mainland, directed their fire at each individual ship as it attacked against the wind.
Then after his ships were defeated, but still afloat, he slipped through the British blockade and escaped to Fort Ticonderoga. The British retreated for that year and the Revolution lived on.
One quote: "The bay where the final act of the Battle of Valcour Island had been played out would afterward be kn own as Arnold's Bay. It is called so to this day, the only place named for him in the country he would betray."
Thanks to Sara Beth Haring at St. Martin's Press for sending me this eARC through NetGalley.
Valcour tells the tale of the successful patriot campaign on Lake Champlain to stall the eminent British invasion from the north. Part Master and Commander action, part gritty adventure tale, this books provides a depth of insight into the minds and hearts of men like Benedict Arnold, Philip Schuyler and Horatio Gates. I've read many books about the American Revolution, and, now understanding the profound importance of this victory, I'm embarrassed that I wasn't more aware of what happened during the fateful days that led up to the naval battle near Valcour island. These men showed profound determination, audacity and leadership in the face of what looked like insurmountable odds. Highly recommended.
I had never heard of the pivitol revolutionary war "sea" battle at Valcour in the middle of Lake Champlain starring the controversial Benedict Arnold. Jack Kelly brings to life raw history weaving facts and faces into a highly entertaining and readable narrative. The difficult job of battle scene description and development including individual accounts of various participants both famous and otherwise are riveting. Reads like historical fiction only it's the real thing.