Cover Image: Cradle of the Deep

Cradle of the Deep

Elmore Leonard fans should rejoice. We have a high octane crime writer is a lot a like but with his own tone and characters that any crime fiction fan will love. Dietrich has fast become a go to read. Enjoy.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
I’ve read Dietrich Kalteis before so I had some idea of what to expect and I certainly wasn’t disappointed with Cradle Of The Deep. Like Elmore Leonard, his books deal with criminality, in other words how far you’d push the envelope to make money, preferably while staying alive and out of prison. Always chock full of colorful characters, here we have Bobbi Ricci and Denny Barrenko , mistress and chauffeur of known mobster and all around sleazeball Tomasino Alonzo Palmieri ( AKA Lonzo ), who decide separately but at the same time to take a half million bucks of Lonzo’s get away cash. Awkwardly the heist goes down, and Bobbi and Denny find themselves thrown together and on the run from Lonzo’s thug enforcers. The chase leads to the woods of Western Canada and meeting up with a cast of characters straight out of Fargo. Proving we all have a little larceny in us and the line between good bad guys and bad bad guys is very fine, Cradle Of The Deep is a well written romp of a book.
This is a great action packed thrill ride of a book. Had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Excellent read
Jackpot!  If you are in the mood for tough, hard-nosed Canadian crime fiction, Cradle if the Deep delivers. Bobbi has had it with Lonzo, the local crime boss.  He was a powerhouse when she met him, a leader of men.  Now he bores the crap out of her and she has reached her limit.  Denny, a Californian and a long haired draft dodger also has a plan to get even with his ex boss.  This is an odd couple pairing that has them on the run through the cold Yukon with a pair of suitcases full of money, no plan, no idea, and a determined killing machine, Lee Trane, hot on their heels.  Step by step, Bobbi and Denny leave civilization and head off into the wilderness and have no idea whatsoever how they are getting out of this tightening vice.  Great pace, well-developed characters, and a great sense of humor make this a crime novel to read.