Cover Image: Do No Harm

Do No Harm

Thank you so mucn Netgalley for this ARC of Do No Harm! I could not wait to read it and I was not disappointed!! It was intense!!

This is the first medical thriller I have read in a while, and this is my first book by this author. I read the entire book in 24 hours, hating every time that I had to put it down to do anything else.

This book hooks you from page one and quickly gets into an exciting story. One that keeps the pages flowing. As a mom of a little boy I can imagine the desperation that Emma felt when faced with outrageous medical bills just to have a chance as saving her son. She may stumble down some dark, dangerous roads to get the money she needs for her sons treatments, but wouldn’t most moms do anything in their power to save their babies?

I can’t wait to read more by Christina Mcdonald! Be sure to pick up your copy of this book February 16, 2021!!
Wow... that is not what I expected to read, but it was so crazy it was hard to stop once I started.

This book pretty much asks the question, “How far would you go to save someone you love?” And boy does it deliver!

Emma and Nate, parents to Josh, need to find a way to save their son. I can see myself in Emma’s shoes and can somewhat understand the lengths she goes to to save Josh, but it’s like one of those movies where you keep yelling at the screen telling the main character to stop what they are doing because they are just going to make the situation worse.

I mean, Emma does some REALLY stupid stuff. Like, mind-blowingly, idiotic, stupid stuff to save her son. But I know she did it for good reason.

Although I have to admit I really didn’t like her much. She did not care who she hurt in the process, even though she tried to write it off as “the means justifies the ends,” I really didn’t think it did. I would probably think differently in her shoes, which is why the story seems so crazy.

I don’t even want to know what Christina McDonald had to do to research for this book! I mean... yikes! To all of it!
I’m Here for You

How much would any mother sacrifice for the life of their child? Is their ever a time when the end justifies the means? Is there a black and white for everything or is there that grey area and if it does are there lighter and darker shades of grey?

Emma has the perfect life. She is a doctor married to a detective with a beautiful son. Than it happens and her life isn’t perfect anymore, her life becomes a nightmare. Her son Josh I’d diagnosed with Leukemia and the treatment he needs is beyond their financial reach. The insurance covers almost nothing. She has to find a way to save her son’s life.

Emma has a brother , Ben, that is into drugs, using, dealing the whole nine yards. Emma contacts his friend Gabe in hopes of contacting her brother. She thinks that selling a few prescriptions could get her some money for Josh’s treatment. This is when her life spirals out of control. Drugs, murder, and betrayal follow.

This is a book about the opioid crisis, how people are dragged into it, the ugliness, and the grey area’s. Is there an answer to the craziness?

This book made me think and I thought what would I do to save the life of my child? I am sure it will make you think as well. I don’t know the answers, but I hope someday someone finds the answers.

I would recommend this book to everyone, especially every parent.

Thanks to Christina McDonald, Gallery Books, and NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review!

There are times when it takes a moment for a book to truly get me interested but this book took no time at all and I was glued to the pages immediately, something I didn't expect to happen especially because I'm in the middle of a ton of other books at the same time that it would've be wise to finish first, but this one was my priority instantly. My favorite thrillers are those that start with something that happens later in the novel. It gives me something to look forward to and to try and piece together as the novel goes on and this book started off with that, intriguing me immediately. Right off the back also, I loved Josh and the way both parents, especially Emma treated him. She is an amazing mother which is the entire premise of the novel anyway but their relationship is so sweet to read about - the way he relies on her and feels safe with her, something she is honored by and fulfills always no matter how she's feeling or what might be going on - and I knew this would make the impending conflict that more nerve-wracking.

The first scene with Josh and Emma ends with her telling him 100 percent truthfully that she would do anything for him, the perfect foundation to start the novel with and something the character and the book never loses sight of. I loved the way the author established the character's moralities before any of their morals were questioned so that we would have something to go off on when things got harder.

Emma and Nate have such a great marriage and the home environment and dynamic just made me smile. This, and so many other parts in the book, got me thinking about real life situations and also made me realize how people must feel when their households aren't providing the sort of caring and supportive environment Emma and Nate did, both parents and children especially those that are stressed in their outside environments too. People without comfort can't give it back and it shows here that when people do have it they are far more likely to share it with others they love. I didn't want anything to happen to them and I love that the author put that terror in my heart before any was on the page.

I loved Emma's character and her disposition on life. Her knowledge that the system is so very flawed despite her and her husband working in it and her general attitude really made it nice to be inside her head. She is a force, determined and cool in a crisis but also so caring for those around her. She feels responsible for them, a lot like Nate does but him being a detective complicates things, something Emma isn't limited by.

The conversations about morality, addiction and drugs are also something I thought was genius and the best touch and to sum everything up, I really enjoyed this. The human condition is such a complex thing and any story exploring the things that happen when someone has to do whatever it takes to save someone they love will always attract me.
Emma and Nate are married and have a 5 year old son Josh. When Josh is diagnosed with cancer, Emma and Nate are determined to do whatever is necessary to get Josh the lifesaving treatment he needs. Money is the ultimate problem. Emma is a doctor and Nate is a police officer. Emma decides to sell opioids to make the money needed but the problem with that? Nate is on a task force to solve who is dealing the opioids. This was a great thriller with many twists and turns. A parent's worst nightmare, a sick child you would do anything for. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Having read other books by this author I was very excited to get the chance to read her newest book Do No Harm. This book looks at multiple different issues including the ongoing opioid crisis and what people do for those that they love. Emma and Nate are happily married with a son that they both adore and careers they excel in. When their son Josh is diagnosed with cancer Emma and Nate are suddenly forced in a situation that requires them to examine how far will they go for their son and is their pride worth that price.

I found this book to be a quick read and well written. I also think it did a nice job of showing how the opiod crisis can effect anyone and how quickly people are seduced into that world. I also liked that the ending wasn't exactly a neat and tidy happy one, making it more realistic.

Thank you to the publishers and to Netgalley for allowing me to provide an unbiased opinion on this wonderful book
This is my first book by author, Christina McDonald. I absolutely loved it and plan on reading more of her books.  This was a heart wrenching page turner about love and family and how far you will go to protect your family.  This book is a domestic thriller you won't want to miss.  I gave this book 5 stars!  A huge thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to do an ARC of this book.
I enjoy Christina McDonald's books!  I have read all!
I was excited to read this ARC when I read the teaser of--
the lengths a mother would go for her son ?!!

This is top read for me!!
I was mesmerized on this story,
I highly recommend this book!!

I will be looking forward to Christina's next book!
3 1/2 ⭐️‘s
What would you do to save your child’s life?  “Sometimes we have to do the wrong things for the right reason.”  Nate and Emma have the perfect life, he a police detective and her, a doctor.  They have the perfect five year old son ... until everything changes and Josh gets sick, very sick.  The only chance he has is a medical treatment that is very costly, something Nate and Emma can’t afford. That’s when Emma makes some life changing decisions, “some criminals are born.  Others are formed by circumstances”.  She has to get the money no matter what.  Nate is investigating a big case.  A case that he hopes will get him a big promotion and more money.  Money they desperately need.  How far will Emma go to save her son, will Nate be able to stop her before she goes too far or will the ends justify the means?   I am a fan of McDonald’s writing, with a great premise, this book was quite intriguing...but I found Emma to be too cold and calculating and the story to be a bit too unrealistic.  A twisty story for sure, one I have mixed feelings about, especially as I read the ending!
Thank you to @netgalley for the ARC of this book! Three out of five stars.

Do No Harm by Christina McDonald takes place in the area in and around Seattle, and is the fraught story of Emma, a family doctor, and her husband Nate, a police detective, whose son Josh is unexpectedly diagnosed with leukemia. With their world turned upside down by this news (and the impending cost of life-saving treatment for Josh), Emma and Nate both respond in massively different ways: Nate doubles down on his work on a case about an opioid ring in hopes of securing a promotion, and Emma begins selling prescriptions for opioids. As the story continues, Emma and Nate's choices hurtle them closer and closer to a heartbreaking confrontation--one that will change their relationship and lives forever.

This book had a strong sense of place, which I loved reading at this time of year. The broody, gloomy setting of the PNW just feels right to immerse oneself in at the start of the year. I did not, however, like the way that the author talks about addiction in this book. As a person whose relationships have been impacted by this disease, I feel that the author could have taken a more nuanced approach to the whole issue. It's not that the author didn't try to do this, but I was left wanting much more. If you're looking for something like that, I'd recommend Long Bright River instead.
Advanced Copy Received through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
2.5*, unfortunately this one just didn't work for me as a reader because so much of it felt over the top unbelievable.

I loved the premise of this book--a mother, a doctor, determined to do good in the world. A father, a cop, determined to do good in the world. That world shatters when their son is diagnosed with leukemia and their best chance at saving him is way out of their price range. The father does what's reasonable, pours himself into getting a promotion, the mother---does not and turns to dealing drugs. And that's where this book felt felt--Emma and her actions were not believable to me and I struggled to have any sympathy for her character or the situations she gets herself in. The twists were all over the place, and while I can't put myself in Emma's situation, I don't see any of these scenarios playing out the way they did. If I weren't invested in finding out what happened to their son, this would have been a DNF!

With that said, there are many many great reviews for this book, so if you enjoy twisty thrillers and Christina McDonalds' writing and other books (which were much better in my opinion), there's no harm (pun intended) in checking this one out too!
Just 20% let me know thta this book was not for me.  Distrust along with lies and secrets in a marriage was bad enough, but add to that an intelligent woman making really stupid decisions and I simply had to call it quits.

This ARC was provided to me by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review..
I was lucky enough to receive this as an ARC. McDonald always writes wonderful characters. In this, you want to cheer on Emma even when she’s doing something sketchy. She’s flawed and has made mistakes in her past. McDonald is great at building moral conundrums with her readers. Because we inherently want things to work out.

“When did the war on drugs become a war on the disabled?” Yes, exactly! People who are suffering have to suffer even more because of people who game the system. It creates this vicious circle where it seems there is no hope because there is no help. McDonald also talks about lupus. As someone who has to get tested for it yearly because of other immuno-compromising diseases, I appreciate that she added this.

If there was one thing I didn’t love, it was that Emma and her husband didn’t talk to each other. Each is carrying some heavy things, and they are mutually going through something traumatic, and they aren’t talking to each other. I was screaming at them to communicate. Well done in wringing such emotion out of me. That is really such a small thing compared to how much I enjoyed this book.

Good isn’t always the good people think it is, in the same way as bad is down to a person’s judgment. Do No Harm is an engaging read that immediately draws you in. It’s well-written, and the research into the various facets of the book shines through. Very nicely done. Thank you, Gallery Books, for sending this along.
Do No Harm is heart wrenching! How far would you go to save your child? When Emma’s young son, Josh, is diagnosed with a often fatal type of leukemia, she is faced with this question. How far will Emma go to save Josh?
​
Emma is a doctor, married to a police detective. She seemingly has the perfect life, but underneath this facade is a history of drugs and lies that threatens to surface. As she fights to get her son the necessary treatment for his leukemia, things begin to unravel for her both personally and professionally. And for the first time, Emma and her husband aren’t on the same page. Emma is in a race to save her son while her husband strives to solve his case - and things keep circling back too close to home for both of them.

Do No Harm uses the unconditional and limitless love of a parent for their child to explore the opioid crisis, and repeatedly asks the question, “does the end justify the means?” That’s for the reader to decide.

A must read for Christina McDonald and thriller fans!! In her typical style, Christina McDonald keeps you turning pages. Do No Harm is one you won’t want to put down!
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC! This was an amazing show of the depths a parent will go to save their child.  This is the second book I have read by this author and loved it just as much. I love a good complicated family and this one didn’t disappoint.
Do No Harm by Christina McDonald is a fantastic thriller. This is the third book by this author that I have read and Do No Harm blew me away!

Emma is a physician at a local hospital and her husband Nate is a police detective living the seemingly perfect life until their son is diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia.

At the end of her rope, Emma chooses to sell opioids to finance the medical bills for an experimental procedure not covered by insurance.

This was a thrilling story about the choices that we make and what we would do for our children.

Filled with twists and excellent written family dynamics, I highly recommend this story.
This book by Christina McDonald is definitely a page turner. What lengths will a mother go to when her child life hangs in the balance? I was shocked at her choices. A great plot and a great read. I gave it a solid 4 stars.
<i>Do No Harm</i> was a mixed bag for me. The emotional aspect of two parents (one a doctor, the other a detective) finding out their little boy has an aggressive form of cancer is written so well by the author. You really feel for the family, especially when they discover the specific treatment for their son that might save him isn’t covered by insurance - and must be paid in full before they will proceed - to the tune of $98K.

Then comes the moral dilemma. What would you do? Would you risk your life to get that money, to save your son, no matter what the cost? One parent chooses that path and it’s a very slippery slope.

On one hand, as a reader, I connected and resonated with the parents, Emma and Nate, as they were going through something catastrophic. But as the novel moves forward, I felt that Emma disconnected from her character somewhere and there were many times it seemed like a completely different person. Nate’s background and his self-harm also felt a little off and misplaced.

Overall, I’d give this novel 3.5 stars, especially for the plot twists at the end, which I did NOT see coming. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Emma has the perfect husband, child, and career. None of that matters when her child is diagnosed with a rare leukemia. Her salary as a doctor and her husband’s as a detective won’t be enough to cover the treatments he needs. To pay for her son’s medical care she jumps into the dangerous world of drugs.

This book kept my interest the entire time. It was hard to read, given that it dealt with a child suffering from cancer. However, you can’t help but root for the main character, who does what she has to do to help her child. I liked the examination through fiction into the opiate crisis. It did a great job of showing the true nature of addiction and that addicts aren’t evil or making bad decisions; their brain structures and chemicals have been unbalanced. It also showed how there are some that suffer because of the opiate epidemic. It is difficult for those truly in pain to receive relief because of strict regulations. The story did a great job of showing that when every person thinks the end justifies the means, many could get hurt.

“I should’ve known addiction was indiscriminate and eternal. It invaded the homes of rich and poor, black and white, young and old. It’s effects were far reaching. It’s causes deep. And it never, never went fully away.”

Do No Harm comes out 2/16.
This is a breath-holding thriller the whole way through. Christina McDonald’s is a genius writer that keeps me up into the night reading. I could not get enough. Characters I both liked and disliked at the same time. Creepy descriptive scenery and heart pounding events. Five stars. I highly recommend.