Cover Image: Deadly Vengeance

Deadly Vengeance

A really good read. Love this series and wasn’t disappointed, lots of intrigue and suspense, And twits and turns really keeps you involved,looking forward to the next one..
I will rate Deadly Vengeance by OMJ Ryan 5/5 stars. The books in this series just keep getting better and better. What a whirlwind of suspense this book had. DCI Jane Phillips embarks upon another trying case... This time seeking out to find a missing rich girl. The twists and turns within this mystery will have you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next.
Another really good installment by an author I've read several times.
Well developed and it holds your interest from the start.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Another great addition to the series. Plenty of twist and turns and an interesting mystery to solve.
Great read.  The author really draws the reader into the story. Will definitely read another book by this author.
I am really enjoying this series, it gets better with each new book. It is an action packed fast paced story which had me gripped till the end. Looking forward to the next book
The Deadly series by OMJ Ryan is one thrilling series I'm glad to have had the chance to read. DCI Jane Phillips & her cases are intriguing & extremely twisted, to say the least. Deadly Vengeance is only the third book but continues this pattern with a case about a high-profile kidnapping. Every character both repeating & new - was great. I love the way Jane, Jonesy, Bov & Entwistle team up to solve the case. But if I have to pick a favorite after Jane it has to be Bov. Everyone on Jane's team is amazing in their own way & I almost lost it when one of them has a close brush with death. The plot was good too. There was a lot of tension leading up to the very end. The ending was great too, although there were some unanswered questions. Hoping to see Jane & the team get ready for some more action in the next deadly case.

Thank you, NetGalley, Inkubator Books & OMJ Ryan for an arc!
DCI Jane Phillips and  her team have been called in to investigate the kidnapping of 15-year-old Hollie, the step-daughter of the UK's largest munitions dealer;

The kidnapper sends a video of Hollie, tied to a chair, with a gun pointed at her head. They are demanding a large ransom, details to be given at a later date.

With virtually no clues to go on, Phillips' superior informs her that the crocodiles are biting and she needs to find this girl ...pronto ... or else.

There are multiple suspects ... a criminal .... someone close to the investigation ... maybe the girl's step-father...

And then one of her team is targeted.

This is a fast-paced crime thriller, well-written The characters are finely drawn amid a background of violence.  Riveting twists and turns lead to an unexpected ending.  Although this is 3rd in the series, it is easily read as a stand alone.  I do recommend starting from the beginning to watch these characters grow.

Many thanks to the author / Inkubator Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Very topical ,with interesting characters and some good dialogue.Moved along at a fast pace,lots of twists and surprises.
This book is different in that the one that is kidnapped might not really believe that her dad cares enough to pay the ransom. Good character development and it does keep you on the edge for the most part. I did think it was drug out a little too much in parts but worth reading!
Manchester based, Detective Jane Phillips and her team are called out to investigate the kidnapping of a 15 year old girl Hollie from an exclusive club.
Hollie is the stepdaughter of Sir Richard Hawkins, a multi millionaire with several businesses including arms sales.
Hawkins has contacts within the British government and a negotiator from the London Met arrives to help (or not).
£4million ransom is demanded by the kidnappers within 7 days - the story follows Phillips investigation to save Hollie and return the ransom.
Is there more behind the ransom demand than just money?
Good storyline, lots of twists and turns and fast paced.
Enjoyable read but some of the main characters were worryingly poor police officers and hung ho which detracted from the storyline. 3 Stars.
OMJ Ryan has delivered another fantastic addition to the Detective Jane Phillips series. Detective Philips and her crew have been handed a very sensitive kidding napping case, involving a very wealthy connected family. Having to juggling the case, unwanted assistance, and all the extra drama that crops up, Jane Phillips portrays  a strong, capable, dedicated police officer who can just about handle anything. It is a fast paced, heart wrenching story, that will have you captivated long past your bed time.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of the book.
#netgalley
#deadlyvengeance
‘Deadly Vengeance’ by O.M.J. Ryan is the third book in the Detective Jane Phillips series. I, unfortunately, have not read any of this authors work previous to this. This is my first foray into the world of Jane and that fact did not spoil my enjoyment of this book as they can be read as a standalone, there is enough within the story to get you up to speed.

O.M.J. Ryan
A teenage girl has been kidnapped, not just any teenager, but the stepdaughter of a Sir Richard Hawkins. Jane and the team are brought in to investigate, Sir Richard decides he is not happy with how Jane is handling the issue, he pulls some strings and, hey presto! Jane now has a Chief Inspector Harry Saxby to deal with also. The CI is an expert in negotiation and kidnapping and doesn’t Jane know it?! Even her team don’t understand why they are lumbered with Mr ‘Know It All’! It all just seems to be an exercise in massaging the missing girls stepfather instead of actually finding Hollie, his stepdaughter.

A thoroughly good read with a good pace and enough tension to feel like its a countdown for a missing girl. An action-packed police procedural slash thriller with good characterisation. I really like Jane, her do or die approach really works well in this book while being hampered with jobsworths and horrible ego’s. I now need to add more books to my to be read pile, as I would love to see what Jane gets up to in books one and two!
Thanks to Inkubator books for the copy of the book for this blog tour.Also Netgalley
Deadly Vengeance is a real page turner! For me, the first page of a book is crucial as I want to be instantly gripped and this is exactly what Deadly Vengeance does. From the outset, Ryan gets right into the action and you just have to keep reading to find out what happens next. I couldn’t put this book down!

The plot is exciting and there are very strong and likeable characters. I particularly enjoyed that some chapters were told from Hollie’s perspective, so you gained further insight into the whole story and could relate more to her as a character. DCI Phillips and her team felt like a family, it was evident that they knew one another well and there was real chemistry between them, making it an enjoyable read.

I read Deadly Vengeance as a stand alone book however it is the third book in the Detective Jane Phillips series. Some aspects of the story referred to events that had taken place in the previous books, but overall it was easy to read as a stand alone although I will warn you that, like me, you will most definitely be adding the previous two to your ‘To Be Read’ list.

The only part of the story that I felt let it down slightly was the amount of characters we are introduced to, some of whom we are only introduced to very briefly. This made it quite difficult to follow, particularly when one of the kidnappers is revealed as I recognised the name but could not remember who they were and how they had previously slotted into the story. Therefore, I didn’t have that usual ‘gasp’ moment when they were identified.

Ryan concludes the story well without answering all of my questions, an aspect of the book I found both frustrating and refreshing but most of all it left me excited to read the next instalment.

OMJ Ryan is an author I am going to be following very closely and I will most certainly be reading the previous two books in the series. A great book that I would highly recommend!
I have been a fan of the Detective Chief Inspector Jane Phillips series since I had the good fortune to be invited to take part in the blog tour for the first book in the series called 'Deadly Silence' in October 2019.  Since then I have followed the series with interest.  To date there have been two further books (including the latest book) in the series and I have loved them both.  The most recent book in the series is called 'Deadly Vengeance' and it is due for release on 19th July 2020.  I was fortunate enough to get a sneaky peek at an early review copy and wowzers, it has to be my favourite book of the series so far.  I absolutely flipping well loved reading 'Deadly Vengeance' but more about that in a bit.
What can I say about Detective Chief Inspector Jane Phillips?  Well apart from the fact that I like her and I took to her from the start.  In fact reading this book felt like reuniting with old friends in the shape of Jane and her team.  Jane is in charge of a small team and they get on really well together.  They are a bit like a family in that they bicker and jest with each other but if an outsider tried it, well that would be a different story.  I get the impression that Jane's team look up to her and they have each others' backs as it were.  Jane is a sassy, kick ass, determined, tenacious, career police officer and I get the impression that she loves her job.  However there could be trouble on the horizon in 'Deadly Vengeance' because a 'delightful' (note the sarcasm) police officer of equal rank to Jane, is seconded to her latest investigation from the Metropolitan Police and he tries to throw his more than ample weight around.  Will Jane and her team solve their latest case?  Well for the answer to that question and so much more you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
Oh my flipping goodness, 'Deadly Vengeance' was a truly amazing read and easily my favourite book of the series to date.  This is one of those series that just goes from strength to strength.  I was drawn into the story from the first word on the first page and that was it for the rest of the book.  To say that reading 'Deadly Vengeance' proved to be addictive reading seems like the understatement of the year.  I would pick the book up only intending to read a chapter or two  but I would become so wrapped up in the story that I was still sat there reading half a dozen chapters later.  The book wasn't glued to my hand but it might as well have been as it travelled everywhere with me.  I just couldn't bear to miss a single second of the story.  If I wasn't reading the book, I was thinking about the book.  If I had to put the book down for any reason then I would immediately look forward to being able to pick the book up again.  You get the picture.  As the result of my addiction to this story, I seemed to charge through the book at a rate of knots.  I soon reached the end of the story which meant that I had to say farewell to DCI Jane Phillips and her team.
'Deadly Vengeance' is superbly written but then I have thought that to be true of the other books in the series too.  The author has one of those writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.  He has a way of making you feel as though you are part of the story yourself and part of the investigation itself.  That's how I felt at any rate.  For me this book was a fairly fast paced read.  The story started with a bang and maintained a fairly fast pace throughout.  I was gripped by the story and on the edge of my seat throughout.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Deadly Vengeance' and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.  The series featuring Detective Chief Inspector Jane Phillips just continues to go from strength to strength.  I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Thoroughly enjoyed the third in the series featuring  DCI Jane  Phillips, dealing with the kidnap of a Multi millionaire arms dealers daughter, with a four million price target on her head

Several twists and turns abound in this instalment. Thank you to Netgalley  and Inkubator books for the arc
I would like to thank Netgalley and Inkubator Books for an advance copy of Deadly Vengeance, the third novel to feature DCI Jane Phillips of Greater Manchester Police’s Major Crimes Unit.

Jane and the team are called in shortly after the disappearance of fifteen year old Hollie Hawkins, an unusual procedure but Hollie is no ordinary teenager. Her father is multimillionaire arms dealer, Sir Richard Hawkins, and he is demanding action. The case soon becomes urgent when Sir Richard receives a video of Hollie tied to a chair and a demand for four million pounds.

I thoroughly enjoyed Deadly Vengeance which is a tense, fast moving investigation with several unexpected turns. I hesitate to say twists as there is little deviation from the goal of rescuing Hollie before the ransom has to be paid. I like the gradual accumulation of small clues and surmises that lead to the big picture and eventual resolution. I also like the resolution which, while not what I imagined it would be, seems apt in the circumstances.

The novel is mostly told from Jane’s point of view with small windows into Holly’s experience. I’m not quite sure about Holly’s part. On the one hand it confirms she is alive but equally it doesn’t quite convey the terror of her plight. It doesn’t feel quite right, even in the pivotal final moments. Jane’s narrative on the other hand is great. There is the investigation, the politics of it, personality clashes and the strong bond in her team which supplies the warmth and humour in a tense, fraught situation. I love the balance between all these different elements and it makes the novel very readable.

This is an interesting novel in terms of characterisation. It is quite old fashioned in its approach as the reader learns little of the characters outside their investigative role. Jane is smart and dedicated and unafraid of bending the rules when she deems it necessary. Her team follow her lead. Her boss, Chief Superintendent Kim Fox, is a useful foil as she has no interest in anything that won’t advance her career prospects. Their clashes add much to the read.

Deadly Vengeance is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
This is book three in the Detective Jane Phillips series and a really good addition, although it can be read as a stand alone. When a teenager is kidnapped, Jane and her team are called to investigate. The tension builds throughout this book and it's a steady police procedural. I like the main character and the character development but I totally disliked the character of Fox, Jane's boss. I would recommend this series of books for lovers of the genre. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
A brilliant book kept me gripped i didn't want to put it down,great characters i will highly recommend this book 5*
This is the first time I have read this author.  I really enjoyed the book.  The plot was gripping and there were enough twists and turns to keep reader engaged. The ‘good guys’ were very attractive.  However there were enough unlikeable characters to keep reader guessing, until the end, who the ‘bad’ guys were.  There was a nice extra twist at the end which was a bonus.  Good characterisation.  Only criticism (and I’m nit-picking here) was tendency to explain the obvious.  Most of us have read and seen enough crime drama to recognise behaviours without having them explained.

However – I do like this author and will read again.