Cover Image: When the World Feels Like a Scary Place

When the World Feels Like a Scary Place

This book was not really marketed towards me as I don't have children, however I am a psychology major and have studied all of this at length. I think this would be super helpful for parents that are having a difficult time parenting their children or just parents that would like to be able to open up more with them. This book brings up some pretty heavy topics as well as some lighter ones and gives many different ideas on how to diffuse situations. With that being said I did find some of the dialogue to be very unrealistic. I think there are things that parents can take away from it and pick through what they think will work with their kids but this is not something that I feel fits the buck for everyone.
As a parent with a child that was already anxious and had already sought professional help to manage prior to a global pandemic and intensely horrible political climate, I found this book helpful. It gave me some new practical tools. Some food for thought and made me feel a little more empowered. I don't think you could ask for more.
This is an excellent resource for parents with anxious children, with lots of role-playing conversations and ideas for how to This is an excellent resource for parents with anxious children, with lots of role-playing conversations and ideas for how to manage big feelings. Thanks to the publisher for a NetGalley. This is one I'll be buying to refer to again and again.manage big feelings.
I really enjoyed the first chapter of this. And then it stopped playing and I couldn't convince it to keep going. Some kind of issue with the audio. Bummer.
I was looking forward to this book, as I am familiar with the author and have seen her present her research in person. I thought the book was helpful and informative, presenting the material in an easy-to-understand manner. Dr. Gewirtz has provided a resource of such an important topic for healthcare providers, clinicians, and  caregivers.
This gives you ways to talk to children about their emotions.
It comes with a lot of good and bad examples that show you how you can handle certain situations.
Hopefully I will think of them when I need them with my boyfriends children.
Thank you Netgalley and Workman Audio for providing me with this free review copy. When the World Feels Like a Scary Place is the perfect book for these scary Covid 19 times. With so much anxiety all around us we need strategies and advice on how to handle difficult situations especially as parents.

This books provides a step by step guide for parents on how to talk to their children about their anxiety and how to make them feel better The author gives many examples of conversations and age appropriate questions to ask your kids and helps parents to talk through topics like bullying, technology, natural disasters or weather, and other issues that are divisive in today's culture.

The book was helpful to me as a parent even though my child is to young now to talk about these things, I will be able to come back to what I have learned when he is old enough to be worried.

The Audiobook was narrated by Robin Miles who did a great job.
I would definitely recommend this book to any parent.
This is a lifesaving guide for parents, Dr Gerwirtz show how you can use the most basic tools at a parents disposal - Conversation - to give children real and interactive help in dealing with worries, stress and any other negative emotions. Emotions which are caused by problems in the world, from all types of problems which can arise in modern society.

But it is not just about how you talk to your children, it is also what you say to them. The heart of this book is a series of conversational scripts - it has actual dialogue, talking points and prompts which give you insights which can be adapted to be age appropriate and different situations. Throughout the book there are tips about how to stay calm in an anxious world - it helps to give parents an insight into how children react to stress and how parents can read the signs and makes sure that their own anxiety doesn't filter into the conversation. The act of talking and listening is essential for nurturing confident and compassionate children. Conversations will help you manage your own anxieties too offering a path of wholeness and security for everyone in the family.

This book has actually helped me in the last 18 months when i have been dealing with my oldest has came out as trans. It has allowed me to have effective conversations with her about her feelings and struggles which she is going through. I have also recommended this to a friend who's only child has started school and she has let me know that this has helped her understand the emotions which her child is going through with all of the adjustments. This is something that i will be recommending to parents and grandparents alike to help them with their children.
Thank you to NetGalley and Workman Audio for kindly providing me with a digital audiobook for review.
I can’t think of another time when this book is more needed (writing this during the Covid-19 pandemic). There is even a specific section that deals directly with the pandemic and ways to discuss it with your child, although the scope of what this book goes way beyond the current pandemic.
The book is written in a very accessible way and doesn’t feel too text book. It is peppered throughout with real experience situations, working through the situations and examining how things could have been better dealt with, or why something did work.
It examines greatly the impact of a parent/guardian not managing their own feelings and emotions. And also how issues such as anxiety can so easily be passed onto our children.
I have learned a few new things from listening to this book, however, in my personal experience I’m probably better off listening to an autism specific parenting book, as my children are both autistic and some of these techniques would not be appropriate or effective. The author does repeatedly state though that her advice should be adapted to a families personal situation.
I did enjoy the narration on this book although I found it a slight distraction that the narrator has an American accent, but the author has a British accent. Not a huge point of contest but the book is in first person and I have heard the author speak before so it just didn’t quite tally for me. Small point I know. A good reference guide for patents of all ages. 3.5 stars
This audiobook is easy to listen to as the narrator really brings it alive especially when voicing the case examples that include parent/child dialogue.

The content went straight for the difficult and scary topics and reminded parents that we need to process our own feelings too, preferably before chatting to our children. It also included sage advice -  to take a breathe by getting a glass of water or a snack because it helps to regulate our own messy emotions in a charged conversation. I connected with the conversations about antisemitism, refugees. Covid-19, fake news and discrimination.

A solid parenting read/listen if you have kids aged 3 - 30!
This is very well laid out and thoughtful book for anyone with limited experience in talking with children about big and stressful things. Provides useful actiivties to do as a family and scripts for how to navigate those impromptu serious conversations that tend to happen. The narrator was a little dry, but appropriate for the content.
When the World Feels Like a Scary Place is a good book to have on your shelf especially during these times!   My usually happy, joyful 6 year old has become incredibly anxious during these COVID-19 times.  Suddenly he is constantly worried...whether it is that people he knows are going to get sick or die or being frightened of thunderstorms, he is definitely feeling the stress of these times.

This book is a guide for conversations that parents can have with their kids to help the kids feel better.  The author encourages determining how they feel and asking questions but not divulging more information than is age appropriate.   There were many sample conversations included in the book and for each one the author pointed out what was good and bad about the conversation.  The conversations ranged over a variety of topics from being worried about bullying, technology, natural disasters or weather, and other issues that are truly divisive in today's society.    There was even a chapter on COVID-19 and how to discuss it.

I was able to glean several tips from this book that I am hoping to use to better comfort my kids.   Let's face it, this stuff has me stressed out to and I could use the help.   I know conversations about feelings are not my forte so it is good to see this advice from a child psychologist.

I listened to the book on audio over the course of a couple of days and it was a good listen.   The book was read by Robin Miles who had a nice soothing but emotive manner.
I guess the world just feels too overwhelming as a parent right now for this book to feel like enough. It's a good start to talking about the tough topics but I still feel deeply feel scared for my little man at the moment. That's not the fault of this book, just the nature of what it's trying to do.
When the World Feels Like a Scary Place is a helpful book for any parent or teacher of children from toddlers to teenagers (though it mostly focuses on helping young school-aged children).  Obviously, the world IS a scary place!  (I write this in September 2020, during the Covid-19 pandemic.)  Not only do our children have the normal worries of childhood to manage, they now have to manage the fears of a global health crisis.

Dr. Gerwirtz focuses her help for the reader on one key foundational principal:  We adults must manage our own reactions to fear and uncertainty and other negative emotions before we can help the children in our lives with them.  Easier said than done!  She does provide sound advice for the adults, but that isn't her focus.  So if the book has a weakness, this is it.  If you, as an adult, can't manage your emotions then you'll struggle to help your child manage them.

Nonetheless, she gives great advice for how to walk children through rationally confronting the issues they face and gives examples of how to help children problem solve and calmly face the issues (big and small) in their lives.
This book was super good. It was super original and I flew through it. It didn't feel like anything I've read in the past. Can't wait to read more from the author!! This book was unputdownable.
When the World iFeels like a Scary Place is a valuable resource for families. The author provides clear and practical help for families with small children to deal with fear and anxiety.   Many parents are unsure of what to say and how to say it when dealing with big scary topics, this book gives example conversations and gives parents the confidence to use positive active listening skills and help their children identify these scary feelings so they can deal with them. I think this book would be very helpful not only for parents but for anyone who deals with children.
This book is designed as one more tool for families to use to cope with life in uncertain times. Information is presented at a level that's easy to follow. This book delves into so many aspects of parenting. It specifically discusses current sources of anxiety such as gun violence, social injustice, and technology/ social media. There is even an entire section of the book dedicated to the discussion of feelings about COVID-19.

The narration was well done but felt the pacing was a bit slow to my taste.  Luckily that is adjustable within the player.  Otherwise, I think it the narrator did a good job.

I received an audiobook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley and the publishers.
Dr. Gewirtz has written a book with easily understandable and relatable advice. Her voice on audio is soothing and I like to listen to it! I highly recommend this book especially during these difficult times.
It's overwhelming to be a kid in 2020. And to parent a kid because the world feels like a scary place. We're dealing with a global pandemic, a heated presidential election, school shootings, racial injustice, hurricanes--and then the usual stuff like death, divorce and bullying.

This is a great resource guide for parents who proactively want to get better at communication strategies.

After all, if we're less anxious, our kids will be!

So how do we know what to talk about? And at what age? And what should we say?

Dr. Abigail Gewirtz is a child psychologist and a leading expert on families under stress. In her book, When the World Feels Like a Scary Place: Essential Conversations for Anxious Parents and Worried Kids, she gives parents lots of practical strategies. In particular, we learn how to react to scary things (around our kids), how to shield our kids from scary things, and how to talk to them about scary things. And she gives us real-world examples and suggested talking points based on age groups. That way we can address issues in ways that our kids can understand both emotionally and intellectually.

One of my big a-ha takeaways was learning how to listen to the child's concerns, brainstorm solutions together, write things down and then come up with a plan that we can both agree upon. Talking things through in a rational way helps calm the situation, and is a great coping strategy for dealing with difficult issues as an adult.

I thought the narrator, Robin Miles, did a professional job. She was clear and easy-to-understand. While I enjoyed listening to the book, I think it's useful to have a printed copy as well so you can refer back to the conversation scripts. It's definitely content you need to re-read each year!

Thanks to Workman Publishing Company and NetGalley for an advanced audio copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
When the World Feels Like a Scary Place
By Abigail Gewirtz, PhD

I was listening to the audiobook version of When the World Feels Like a Scary Place when it hit me- I needed the physical book as well.

This book, with it’s subtitle, “Essential Conversations for Anxious Parents & Worried Kids” is just that. Essential.

I am an avid reader but I am a school psychologist by trade. Anxiety has been a growing concern for the American public for many years. Even our youngest students show signs of emotional dysregulation, whether it be difficulty separating from their parents or acting out behaviorally. Anxiety is often at the root of these behaviors.

This book delves into so many aspects of parenting. I found it most useful as it specifically discusses current sources of anxiety such as gun violence, social injustice, and technology/ social media. There is even an entire section of the book dedicated to the discussion of feelings about COVID-19.

This book is full of information but also provides opportunities for introspection and to practice skills relating to parenting an anxious child, even when experiencing big feelings of one’s own. The author goes as far as providing sample conversations for parents to consider adapting for their own use. This is where the book really impressed me.

I love this book so much that I hope to start a book chat at my place of employment. Kudos to the author for her approachable and realistic discussion about parenting in the world as we now know it.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for access to this audiobook in exchange for an honest review. It directly caused me to purchase a physical copy and I encourage others to do the same.