Cover Image: ParaNorthern

ParaNorthern

Full disclosure:  I received a digital ARC of this book from the publisher and NetGalley, however I didn’t get to read it before it was archived.  I checked the book out from the library to read it.

I’m quite torn about this book.  Think the overall story was fine. The illustrations themselves were nice, but I often felt they were not completely in sync with the story.  While the colors were beautiful purples, oranges, and reds, at times the colors of the background were too close to the images, and this made it really hard to easily see what was happening.  I would imagine it would be a nightmare for anyone with vision/color difficulties.
This was a coming of age story set in a witchy/monstery realistic setting. The story was sweet and diverse but not really groundbreaking. I could see fans of graphic novels, who like witches & sweet monsters to really like this one. It seems to be an additional purchase for libraries.

Plot includes diversity including LGBTQ+ characters & a character who is an immigrant to the place the story happens.
Cute, funny, and fun. Abby and her friends have to team together to close a portal that allows chaos bunnies to wreak havoc on their town. This will be a hit with middle-grade graphic novel fans.
An easy enough story to follow. And stories about magic are especially well suited to the graphic novel format. We can see a lot of the world and the diversity, how it all works, without having to spend pages and pages on physical description. The characters are quite expressive so the book doesn't rely too much on text. The simple design allows a lot to happen in each panel without becoming busy and confusing.
Wow! ParaNorthern was a lot of fun and very cute! Excellent portrayal of great friendships and strong family connections. Love the message to love yourself and those you care about no matter what. I very much enjoyed this one!
Abigail is a witch who hasn't come fully into her powers. One night she accidentally opens a portal that brings Chaos bunnies into her dimension. As they wreak havoc on the community of North Haven, Abigail must trust herself and her magic to save her town.

This middle-grade graphic novel has a cast of diverse representations. Themes of immigration are touched on as well as a LGBTQ+ romance.

Perfect for fans of the Okay Witch.
Hi. I am sorry, but I have refused to download this title. While I was very hyped when I requested the book in JULY 2020 (!!!!), I am just not so hyped after waiting a WHOLE YEAR to be accepted. Sorry, but after 4 months my interest in an ARC is waning and after 6 months I don't even care. It would be nice if publishers had a limit in how long they can take to accept. I would say 2/3 months is a big MAX.

SO yeah, regarding the book, no clue. I know this is a review space, but given that Not giving feedback is bad for ratio I am just throwing it here. I do want to read the book one day, I mean the cover and the blurb sound/look awesome. But for now my interest is gone after a year of waiting and the sudden OH YES, people who review exist from the publisher.
ParaNorthern and the Chaos Bunny A-hop-calypse is a middle grade graphic novel written by Stephanie Cooke  and illustrated by Mari Costa. It’s fall break in the supernatural town of North Haven, and young witch Abby’s plans include pitching in at her mom’s magical coffee shop, practicing her potion making, and playing board games with her best friends—a pumpkinhead, a wolf-girl, and a ghost. But when Abby finds her younger sister being picked on by some speed demons, she lets out a burst of magic so strong, it opens a portal to a realm of chaos bunnies. And while these bunnies may look cute, they’re about to bring the a-hop-ocalypse (and get Abby in a cauldronful of trouble) unless she figures out a way to reverse the powerful magic she unwittingly released. What’s a witch to do?

ParaNorthern and the Chaos Bunny A-hop-calypse is a wonderful graphic novel about figuring out what is most important in your life ad using that as your strength. I thought the town and magical world building was nicely done, giving enough to have the story make sense but not dumping too much extra information. I liked the diversity, magical and otherwise, and think it felt like part of the story rather than something on a checklist which I have seen too much of lately. I thought the story and character development was well written and engaging. The art was well done- and I liked the color, depicted emotion and movement, and bold design. I do with the faces had had a bit more detail, in some cases it was very well defined but in others less so. Of course, this could be because I read a galley rather than a final version. Regardless I really enjoyed the book and think many readers from many age groups will as well.

ParaNorthern and the Chaos Bunny A-hop-calypse is a charming coming of age graphic novel full of magic and friendship.
In the paranormal town of North Haven, after an interaction with some bullies bothering her sister Ella, Abby accidentally opens a portal to another dimension and Chaos Bunnies pour out. It’s up to Abby to figure out how to close it, but Abby’s not alone. She has help from her closest friends Hannah (a ghost from another dimension who wears a bracelet in order to stay corporeal in this one), Silas (a pumpkin headed boy who loves to terrorize those who order pumpkin spice lattes in Abby’s mom’s coffee shop), and especially Gita (a sweet werewolf).
When the Chaos Bunnies are let loose in North Haven, they definitely live up to the name chaos. You get to see around North Haven and trees are down, people are terrorized, etc. The red eyed bunnies are causing trouble faster than Abby can pour a cup of coffee. After a séance, and a therapy session with Gita, Abby is ready to try again to conquer her magic and close that portal to get rid of the red eyed chaos bunnies. With her friends surrounding her, she heads out to do just that! Does she do it? Are the chaos bunnies gone? You’ll find out then you read Paranorthern!

What a fun and exciting graphic novel to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and made sure to tell my manga loving teen about it. My husband overheard me and started asking questions about certain parts of it (I’m not revealing, you must read to find out). It was great to see such a diverse set of characters, and to see LGBTQIA+ representation in a budding romance.

I definitely recommend Paranorthern if you love graphic novels and paranormal characters!
Really cute! I love the sweet friendships and family connections, and the message about being anchored by a wholesome love for yourself and those you care about. The soft lil queer romance thread was adorable and I'm glad LGBTQ kids have normalized rep like this!
Abby is a witch in the supernatural town of North Haven, where her mom runs a coffee house called Witch's Brew. She helps her mom and hangs out with her friends - a pumpkin-headed activist for gourd rights (the carnage of pumpkin spice season!), a ghost-girl (not dead, just in a different dimension), and a wolf-girl - and her younger sister. But when she comforts her younger sister after being bullied by speed demons, something weird happens. Abby's accidentially - unknowingly - released a burst of magic so strong that it opened a portal to a realm inhabited by chaos bunnies. Oh yes, my friend. Chaos Bunnies. They're adorable, but destructive beyond belief, and unless Abby can figure out how to close that portal, North Haven is about to be overrun with them! What Abby doesn't realize is that she's a more powerful witch than she could ever have realized, and she's got an ancestor warning her against going down a dark path. With the power of her friends and her sister, Abby learns to work her magic, and with her ancestor's guidance, she's aware that too much power can lead to corruption. The story is light, with action and humor. There's a diverse cast of characters that readers will love, and a fun, fantasy storyline that readers who get a kick out of fantasy will enjoy. Display and booktalk with books like No One Returns from the Enchanted Forest, Dungeon Critters, Witches of Brooklyn, and The Okay Witch books for a magical touch!
A colorful adventure, filled with a magical cast of characters and a focus on friendship. Great for middle-grade readers!
Very cute for the pre-teen readers. I was not particularly taken as an adult, found lots of things a little easy, done without much reasoning, and without much of a plot. But my son saw it and was immediately captured by it and read right through to the end, fascinated. So I guess it talks to kids :)
This was so darn cute and put a smile.on my face! I love a good magic graphic novel and this lived up to my expectations!
Because the characters had no sense of urgency about the rabbits/portal, no suspense was built. Would love to know more about the villain. Assuming they come back in the sequel?
Sweet and wholesome graphic novel about magic and friendship - I really liked the illustration style and mix of characters!
An adorably illustrated middle grade graphic novel about a great group of supernatural best friends. I hope we see more stories set in this delightful world!
Nicely drawn graphic novel. The story is very fast paced and exciting. If you love supernatural elements and love to read graphic novels this book is for you. It can be read by children and adults alike. Very enjoyable read.

*Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group & NetGalley for this Ebook in exchange for my honest review
Another hit for kids from Stephaine Cooke. We read Oh My Gods! in a Tween Graphic Novel Round table. The kids loved it so much I picked up this book by the same author to add in this Fall. Let me tell you, and kids are going to love this silly, slightly spooky story- with Chaotic bunnies. I loved it so much I couldn't even make myself schedule it for Halloween. We're reading it in August. Like any good story, this one ages up, and I bet if you love Halloweentown, you'll adore this new title too.
Fans of teenage horror / autumn lovers will appreciate this graphic novel featuring a group of friends and their quest to save the world from a dimension of chaotic rabbits. Good illustrations and story though I felt it could have been a little edited it places to show more of the action.