Cover Image: Pretty Little Wife

Pretty Little Wife

So good that I want to hear more from the author and the characters...

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Such a great book.  When you kill someone it's fair to expect them to stay dead...  The conceit that begins the book was so intriguing and it was an enjoyable trip to see where that conceit would lead me. I love that I thought I knew what was happening throughout the book, but got surprised with everything that came up in every chapter.  The characters were strangely relatable and likeable even when they did anything that was at odds with what is right.  Everything about the book was satisfying, the clues and the red herrings,  and even though it has a solid conclusion I still want to delve in to more crimes for the lead detective to investigate. It was interesting to see forms of domestic abuse that aren't physical, but are just as damaging.

An excellent book. It kept me interested throughout and at the edge of my seat many times throughout. The author jumps around on the timeline in a gripping way, and never loses you along the way. Super suspenseful, very well written, and satisfying in how all the small pieces of everything come together.

Thank you to the author, HarperCollins, Scene of the Crime and NetGalley for the ARC to read, review and enjoy.
Pretty Little Wife, Darby Kane’s debut novel, is a twisty domestic suspense novel that asks one central question: shouldn’t a dead husband stay dead? Lila seems to have an idyllic life, but when her husband, Aaron, goes missing her entire world is turned upside down.

What I enjoyed about this book:
Flawed, complex characters that I still somehow connected with.
Pretty Little Wife is a layered book where you slowly get bits and pieces of the story. And it just keeps getting more screwy! Perfect for a thriller!
This one is well written, perfectly-plotted and has a satisfying ending!

Four twisty stars from me!!

Thank you to Darby Kane, William Morrow, and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this story due out December 29, 2020.
This is a brilliant debut of a novel! It was mind crushing and moving and had me second guessing everything. I couldn't put it down. this author will be a best selling one very soon if they continue to write this way. one of the best i have read this year.
Marriage.  It’s so idyllic isn’t it?  Then again, I guess that depends on who your spouse is.

When Lila Ridgefield’s husband Aaron goes missing she is the prime suspect.  Of course, she’s guilty as charged.

The problem is that she thought she planned the perfect murder until his body disappears from where she dumped it and now she’s up a creek without a paddle.

That, of course, is not the only problem.

Oh boy.  Lila is in deep doo doo!  Luckily for her, she’s not the only one!

Hang tight my friends, “Pretty Little Wife” is a roller coaster of a ride that will not let you off until the very end.

The writing in this novel started off a little choppy - which admittedly made it hard for me to connect to at first and then all of a sudden it smoothed out around 25 - 30%.  Once the writing settled down, I was hanging on for dear life.  A fun, crazy, wild read that had me totally engrossed even though you have to suspend disbelief.

A fun buddy read with Ms. Kaceey!

Thank you to NetGalley, HarperCollins Publishers - William Morrow and Darby Kane for the arc.

Published on Goodreads on 10.18.20.
So enjoyed this thriller that kept this reader on her toes as the author led us on a merry chase.

Lila Ridgefield, is married to Aaron and seems to have an idyllic life. As we have seen on numerous occasions what goes on behind closed door is never what one sees when they are fully open. In this wonderful town, a girl has gone missing for months. And then the strange occurs when Lila's husband also goes missing. Lila kind of knows what happened to Aaron and then again perhaps she does not.

As the town is stuck by the two missing people, more missing women turn up and the cases of all seem to meld together. Enter the intrepid detectives hot on the trail of yes, you guessed it Lila., who is some cool character. Ms Kane did an awesome job with her depicting her as cold, hard and determined not to crack under pressure. However, Lila has reasons for her behavior going all the way back to her awful childhood.

And then there's Aaron! He's a real prize, one whose character is revealed as the tale continues to its dramatic conclusion, as the author keeps the tension high and the interchange of the characters a thrill ride.

Definitely recommend this thriller as it contains all the elements that makes one love the thrill of the read.
Thank you to Darby Kane, William Morrow, and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this story due out February 23, 2021.
Wow - not where I thought this book was going at all, and that being said, how great to have actual surprises and twists and turns!  Completely enjoyed this book and quickly read through it!
Lila had put her past history behind her when she changed her name. She married Aaron who also had a disasterous childhood. Their marriage was working until Lila found out that Aaron had a secret that was more than she could live with. Aaron disappears and Lila is the main suspect in the investigation. She had carefully plotted her vengence and it starts to unravel when Aaron is found having been murdered twice. This novel is exciting, well detailed and as twisted a story as I've ever read.
Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.

And the universe is filled with evil, bad deeds, animosity, and just plain murder and mayhem. We humans can shake the dirt out of any situation and breathe it all in. Again and again........

Lila Ridgefield, from all indications, is the exquisite wife without a hair out of place. She's a lawyer and successful realtor in the beautiful background of Ithaca, New York. Her husband, Aaron, is a well-loved high school math teacher. But there's a chill in Lila's veins. She's seen plenty in life. And Darby Kane is about to open the door on just that.

The initial scenes reveal a highly manipulative and controlling side of Aaron. And Lila is at the receiving end of all that. He insists on room darkening curtains in their bedroom that can never be opened and dumps out drawers if things are not to his liking. Kinda like Julia Roberts in Sleeping With the Enemy on steroids. Aaron's persona is like a quick-change artist depending on the company that he keeps.

But one morning the principal of the high school calls Lila and tells her that Aaron never showed up for class that day. Hours and hours pass and Lila finally involves the police. Days go by without word from Aaron. And then eyes rest upon Lila. Who else could it possibly be?

Darby Kane unfolds this package of doubt, curiosity, and just plain head-swimming confusion. As readers, we're not privy to being witnesses to any crimes here in the making. Kane holds back for good reason. And it all comes hurling down on us like an over-packed closet when the door opens. Expect the unexpected in this one. The cast of characters is a strange little bunch and the writing is clever and highly creative. Pick this one up to see exactly what this Pretty Little Wife has been up to.

I received a copy of Pretty Little Wife through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Harper Collins Publishers and to Darby Kane for the opportunity.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this AMAZING book!!!!

Lila and Aaron Payne.... Lila always put together, closed off, not close to anyone....trophy wife to Aaron.....high school teacher that everyone adores. Until one day he goes missing. One day Lila finds videos of Aaron with his girl students....she plots his death. But Aaron isn’t where she left him. Is he still alive? She starts receiving notes and she is certain he is not dead.

This book took me on a ride and boom after boom after boom the story kept changing and more secrets are revealed. It’s been awhile since I’ve started and finished a book so fast and didn’t want to put down!! This would make an amazing movie!!!!!!!   Bravo to this author! You hit a home run!!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟/5
In this wonderful novel, we meet Lila and Aaron, who are married and living in Ithaca NY.  Aaron is a high school teacher, who does not show up for work one day.  And the story begins and progresses from there. This is a good domestic suspense/police procedural featuring strong, smart women.  I spent a rainy weekend reading and was not disappointed. Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Yes yes yes! Loved this book so much!!! Gave all the stars and even just purchased it. Perfect amount of suspense and loved the ending. These are my types of stories! Thanks for this copy in exchange for an honest review!
This was a pretty interesting book. The characters were good and I enjoyed the story. Kinda felt like it was a movie. I was thrown by the ending because I was not expecting it. Twists and turns keep you guessing. Pretty good book.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
4 incredible stars!

Characters are flawed and unreliable. They're unlovable but you find yourself rooting for them. It was a fun read and kept me on my toes the whole time.

You are following Lila who killed her husband. Or she tried to. Now, her husband's body is not where she left it for the police to find. So not only are the authorities trying to find where her husband is, she is also trying to find out what happened to the body BEFORE the police do. It was a whirlwind and I didn't see the end coming.
When Aaron doesn't show up for work everyone says it is unlike him and when no one hears from him an unofficial police investigation begins. Lila, his beautiful wife, is questioned. What the police find with her doesn't quite fit what they expect. What secrets is she keeping? Does she have something to do with Aaron's disappearance? Is his disappearance somehow tied to a missing woman? The more the police discover the more questions they have. A thriller that keeps you guessing.
Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane is a fantastic, fast-paced thriller.  I liked the character, the pacing, and the plot. From the very beginning, I was curious about which direction this story would take!

Check it out:

Lila Ridgefield lives in an idyllic college town, but not everything is what it seems. Lila isn’t what she seems.

A student vanished months ago. Now, Lila’s husband, Aaron, is also missing. At first these cases are treated as horrible coincidences until it’s discovered the student is really the third of three unexplained disappearances over the last few years. The police are desperate to find the connection, if there even is one. Little do they know they might stumble over only part of the truth….

With the small town in an uproar, everyone is worried about the whereabouts of their beloved high school teacher. Everyone except Lila, his wife. She’s definitely confused about her missing husband but only because she was the last person to see his body, and now it’s gone.

A missing husband, secrets, and a main character you will root for… this slow-burn novel is the perfect suspense for a cold winter’s night. Snuggle up with some blankets, get a hot drink, and settle in with this novel!

Out on December 29, pre-order here.
A wonderful fun and snarky read! I loved everything about this story and there are twists and surprises throughout, it is by far one of the best books I’ve read this year!
Lila Ridgefield seems to have everything she ever wanted. She has a husband who is a teacher, she's a realtor and has the life. But everything was not as it seems. Aaron disappears and Lila doesn't understand how that is possible. Lila left his body where someone would find him. She's getting threatening messages and needs to figure out what is going on before it's too late. Full of twists and suspense.
Thanks Netgalley and the publisher for the advance ecopy.
At first I thought this was going to be a cliche/predictable thriller novel. Unfortunately, while I love this genre, it is so over saturated with books with “wife” in the title!

However, this book surprised me and the pace picked up halfway through. I really got into it and couldn’t put it down until I finished it! I think this book will do well with the thriller crowd, especially readers of BA Paris
I had some issues with this book from the first few paragraphs, but I kept going out of curiosity.  The life of Lila Ridgefield has changed.  Her husband prefers that she quit her job as a lawyer to be the perfect little arm candy wife he was taught to look for in life.  He's a teacher.  I'm a teacher and we certainly don't have that "Sugar-daddy" "Trophy Wife" kind of money that Aaron has.  From the go, I was confused.
There's a LOT going on in this novel.  Both Aaron and Lila come from horrendous backgrounds that are a bit confusing.  Aaron has been having inappropriate affairs with his underage students and Lila uncovers it.  A crack in her "Ms. Perfect" persona.   But I never saw her as the "perfect" wife she was made out to be.  She kills her husband, and leaves him at his HIGH SCHOOL to be found with all the evidence about his affairs.  Ruthless, right?  Except, before his body is found... it disappears!
Lila is the prime suspect and she comes off as cool and aloof.  Her past is uncovered. There's a podcast and a brother in law who are interesting but could have been more. There was just all around too much and I didn't buy a lot of it.  This was packed full of twists and turns that kept my head spinning but didn't dazzle me the way I had hoped.
Thank you to Darby Kane, the publisher and netgalley for the ARC.
This was a fun book to read! The beginning and middle were solid. The end became disturbing and too detailed in the torture.It was such a good “she killed him but now he’s not there. Who killed him and where is he?” suspense/thriller, but then it got stupid and disturbing really fast.