Cover Image: The Crossroads at Midnight

The Crossroads at Midnight

The Crossroads at Midnight are several creepy short stories by Abby Howard.
I adore graphic novels, but horror graphic novels are a whole other story.

I picked this up due to my love for ‘Through the Woods’ by Emily Carroll and I can say without a doubt that I’ll be following Howard’s other works. It’s not often I get melancholic feelings with horror, but these stories really had an edge of sadness that I loved. Each story had a different vibe, and the art was really enjoyable. This anthology is impressive.

Thank you to the publishers for sending me a copy for an honest review.
5 stars. I should've known I was going to love this because Howard's The Last Halloween is a favorite, but MY GOD, this was so good. Each story was a definite 5 stars and collections like that are hard to find. Review to come.
The Girl in the Fields- 5 stars I loved the subtlety of this one and the creeping horror of what was in the field. I enjoyed Howard's exploration of a girl isolated by her location, family, and her struggle into coming into her identity around a family who rejected her.
Mattress, Used.- 5 stars Reasons why I will save money for years and not get a mattress off the street. SO GROSS. I really felt sorry for her.
The Boy from the Sea- 5 stars I love sister stories and Nia and Anaya's relationship really hit home. This one was terrifying because it separated sisters and was a painful ending.
Our Lake Monster- 5 stars That main character was a complete and total idiot. Super selfish and no actual concept of how her actions could get people killed. Naturally, I loved it.
Kindred Spirits- 5 stars A good bog monster story, but with a lot of heart, emotion, and heartache. Loved it.
That was super creepy, I loved it! The stories have a great development, and the illustrations were completely stunning. The stories were not only dark, but they were also beautiful and original. I was totally blown away.
Unsettling, unexpected, and I loved all of it.   The mattress story is probably the creepiest of the tales and the ladies of the bog were definitely my favorite.  Each short story was unique and I'd definitely come back for more.
Terrifying Tales with an Unsettling Plot...........
The Crossroads At Midnight by Abby Howard is a truly terrifying and creepy horror comic. I liked the cover of the book which in itself is creepy. The book is so interesting that I finished the book in one sitting only. People are going to remember these tales for a long time. Also, the graphics are so real and amazing. I would highly recommend the book for horror lovers. The book deserves 5 stars and nothing less than that.
I enjoyed every collection of short stories. Some are dark, horror and engaging. Author had done a great job with this book.
A solid collection of new folk horror stories, like Through the Woods by Emily Carroll. It does play a bit on some tropes (hillbilly family, uninvolved parents, religious zealots), but it also modernized and subverted others. Overall, a fair example of the genre, if not particularly innovative.
I looooove Abby Howard so much, and this collection doesn't disappoint!  The stories throughout are joyfully macabre and feature a delightful array of gory imagery (from the very first story we get blood spurting and twisted flesh -- delicious).
I really enjoyed each of the stories! The visuals were absolutely stunning. Some of the stories were better than others, but they were all worth reading. Perfect recommendation for graphic novel lovers especially during spooky season.
Granted, I am a scaredy-cat, but this book is genuinely terrifying. It reminds me a lot of horror manga, especially Uzumaki. Kids & teens who are constantly asking for something really scary to read will be thrilled, but this is also definitely appropriate for adults. Honestly, it will haunt me.

[I won't be putting reviews on social media because this was nominated for a YALSA Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers.]
*thank you to Netgalley, Iron Circus Comics and Abby Howard for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

I was genuinely impressed with this. It took a bit to get into for me but once I did, it was really quite good.

The artwork wasn't usually my style but I adjusted and by the end I did find it fitting to the book.

The majority of the stories were decent which is usually pretty tricky task to create as most short story books are 50/50 I find.

Would definitely recommend.
These stories were super creepy and raw and intense. I really enjoyed them. All of them. The art was really great.
A brilliant and stunning collection of compelling and suspenseful horror stories, enhanced with black and white illustrations to create the perfect mood for the spooky and creepy short stories that fill the pages of this book.
HOLY COW. This is, without a doubt, the most clever, most satisfying horror novel I have EVER read. And I'm a big horror fan.

This brilliant work features 6 short stories, told in graphic novel format. This is a horror collection unlike anything I have read before. I was surprised at the ending of all of them. I cannot say anything more about the plots of these stories, because they must be experienced by the reader.

Abby Howard walks a brilliant line between showing and telling. She is a true master of the craft. She tells us exactly what we need to know, and gives us enough room to be surprised or to draw our own conclusion. My favorite stories were Mattress, Used, Kindred Spirits, and Boy From the Sea, but all of the included stories were excellent. I love the black and white art style, I loved how it was gross, but not gory. I loved how dark it felt. I was challenged intellectually while reading, which all of my favorite books do. Every story gave me chills. Any fan of horror NEEDS to get their hands on this. I already can't wait to reread it, and to tell everyone I know to read it. I feel like this is one of those books what will live in my bones and haunt me forever (in the very best possible way.) I cannot wait to see what we get in the future from Abby Howard because I'm already a huge fan.

Content: Some mild profanity. Horror imagery.
I absolutely loved this – highly recommended. The stories are compelling and genuinely creepy. The panels are clean and uncluttered, but still contain masses of detail about the characters and their world. There's great diversity in the characters in terms of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, economic background and age, but this is never signposted; it's just an organic part of the story, which is great. Horror can definitely do with more diversity.

I really can't fault this book – it's my favourite horror graphic novel since Emily Carroll's 'Through the Woods'.

Small caveat: if you like the kind of horror where the monster is defeated and order is restored at the end – you probably won't like this. In all but one of the stories, the haunted/menaced protagonist is left just as haunted/menaced at the end. But hey, I like grim horror that leaves its hooks stuck in you, so it worked for me.
I want to thank Netgalley, Abby Howard, and Iron Circus Comics for giving me a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed my time reading this book that i've read it in one sitting. The artwork has a creepy and eerie vibe which I think suits the theme of the book. Even though this is an anthology, I don't have a specific favorite story because I all love them. Every story has a mysterious vibe and all leaving me questions at the end but not to the point that I will be confused. The gore is also on point and I cringe at looking at them but in a good way. Each story are amazing and unique on their own.

Overall, I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars. If you are looking for a creepy reads that leaves you wanting for more, I totally recommend this book!
I selected this title to preview for collection development. This is creepy in the field of Junjo Ito but not as gore-y. If you have teens that want Ito but can't read it for whatever reason then this will work. The art is clean and is easy to follow and by the end of the short story chapters I am straight up creeped out. I am not into horror and I personally didn't like it but I could easily recommend it to the kids graduating out of Goosebumps and wanting a scary story.
A lonely girl makes an usual friend in her next door neighbor. A student desperate for good grades, and a good nights sleep. A child who makes a mysterious friend at the beach. A monster who comes out at night. An old woman desperate for company...Five terrible, beautifully illustrated stories connected by human longing and the desperation of turning to the supernatural.
This is a quick, creepy read! Five perfectly bite sized horror stories and the sometimes lovely and sometimes GRUESOME illustrations to go by with them. (Not for the faint of heart!)
I recommend this for high school and up🧟‍♀️
Thank you to  for allowing me to read and review!
What a delight this horror anthology is. All the stories are just about perfectly paced, each panel intensifying the tension, deftly guiding the reader along a creepy passage. Horror comics are exceedingly difficult to do well. It, therefore, is a real treat to read something that is as refined as this. What Howard does with Crossroads at Midnight is put sympathetic well-written characters at the centre of each of the stories. Horror has a terrible reputation for being exploitative yet this is anything but that. The tales range from the body horror of someone having their skin stolen to a chiller about feuding siblings.

The linework is fluid and some of the creature designs evoke Junji Ito and some David Clowes creepier stuff. You can almost see the scratch mark of the pencils, cleverly using crosshatching and shadows to give us enough light to the characters and creatures in the comic. The Boy at the beach is one of the most disturbing antagonists I have seen on a page in some time. While the monsters are sinister and weird I think most of the praise should be aimed at how Howard depicts the emotions that the more human characters are feeling. Howard is able to frame the realisations of characters understanding how much trouble they have got themselves and more action-heavy sequences with equal aplomb.

For those looking for their next horror fix, this is superior stuff. Exactly the sort of thing that needs to be read late at night under the bedsheets with a torch. Howard is a novelist to keep an eye out for.
Wow, I didn't expect to enjoy this one so much! This graphic novel is a collection of a handful of creepy stories, but these stories aren't just your plain old creepy ones. A lot of them are weirdly touching? And quite sad as well, I didn't expect to get teary eyed in a few of the scenes. I enjoyed all of the stories, but there were definitely some that were stronger and more impactful. I also liked that there were other themes explored and not just plain horror, such as family relationships, loneliness, acceptance, and even LGBTQ+ issues. My particular favorites are The Girl In the Fields and Kindred Spirits. The art I also loved, although I wish there were more colors, but I think it fit the spooky vibe very well. Would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys spooky stories.