Cover Image: YOU DIED

YOU DIED

I always love a good collection of short stories by many different authors! It always amazes me how many different styles you can find there.

This one is no different. Sure, some stories were not really all that good in my opinion, and I didn't enjoy all of the art, but there were quite a few that left me thinking and/or wanting for more.

I also liked the topuc of this book very much. What happens after you die is a question we all want answered, in a way.
Thank you for allowing me to read and review this ARC!

This is a tricky one to review! I loved a few of the stories but I didn’t like many. I think the description is misleading. I definitely thought it would be about death and burial practices of different cultures. I found it to be more about grief.
I've always been interested in the idea of an afterlife, but never really found anything interesting to read/watch on that theme (Except for the All Dogs Go to Heaven), which is why I was so happy to run across the You Died.

This was an intriguing read, I liked it very much!

You died is a collection of stories about death and what might happen after you die. (If someone missed the description).

There were a couple of stories I didn't quite like, but most of them were certainly interesting.

I like every art style, they were all unique and special in their own way.

All in all, I enjoyed reading this, I may as well reread it soon!

Thank you for allowing me to read this.
First I want to make some trigger warnings on the book obviously the book talks about death but also heavily represents depression, suicide, terminal illness, dementia, and more I would only recommend reading the book if you are in a good mental place and think you can handle it.

Second, I love the cover it is stunning and one of the main reasons I wanted to read the book.

The book is a collection of short comics all around the theme of death and its folklore around the world. I really love the book but had to stop a few times and take a break because some stories were intense and really hit the feelings.
However, some of the short stories were not captivating at all and boring so I skimmed over them.
'You Died: An Anthology of the Afterlife' edited by Kel McDonald and Andrea Purcell is graphic novel featuring 24 stories by differing creative teams and an introduction by Caitlin Doughty.

From the death of creatures to the death of loved ones, this collection examines our final moments from both sides of the grave.  There are stories of pride and humility.  Death plays no favorites, so the stories run the gamut from scary to heartwrenching.  My favorite might be Remember by SE Case about a woman who can't let go and has a conversation with someone from her past.

The stories are all really good.  The art varies but it's all pretty good.  The variety of the stories makes for a good anthology.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Iron Circus Comics and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
I must preface this with I read a lot about death. In all different sorts of contexts, but mostly from the view of the trauma it causes, folklore around it, and how people deal with it. So I thought that this book was right up my alley! And check out that amazing cover!

Unfortunately, most of the stories just didn't do much for me. I think I've read too much on the subject already, but that this would be a great collection to start with. My main quibble is that the stories had some interesting ideas, but most were too short to do much with the ideas they brought up. There is a version of the Mesopotamian myth that Persephone is based on that got some decent space. Since this is well worn territory and content available lots of places, I was disappointed to see that other, more unique, takes didn't get the same space.

For those especially interested in LGBTQIA+ representation, science fiction, and/or anime type graphics, I especially recommend you pick this up. I could also see it being useful with those who are grieving or who haven't thought much about dying.

Thank you to Iron Circus Comics, all the authors, and Netgalley for an advance ecopy in exchange for an honest opinion.
Ok, first things first, I looove this cover, and that's what grabbed my attention to begin with! This was really fun, very different from anything I have read before, and even from what I was expecting. This is a collection of shorts themed on the idea of death and the afterlife, including sad, sweet, knowledgeable, and fun stories. the graphic style is different for each story, to better suit it, and that's what I really liked about this collection, the attention to details, and brilliant storytelling through graphics! This is the kind of book I'd love to get my hands on and keep it on my physical shelf and savor it in small bits!

Thanks to Netgalley, artists, writers, and publishers for the review copy. All opinions are my own,
I had something of the same experience reading this book as I did reading Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal": we don't talk enough about death.  About coming to terms with the fact that we are all mortal, about cherishing life, and helping our loved ones understand how we wan to die.  Gawande's book was much more shaded to dealing with the medical system, while these comics are much more personal.  The ones that were less impactful dealt with the realization of the newly dead that they were in fact dead.  A few were moving, but most imposed a spirituality that I don't necessarily believe and therefore their attempted comfort was misplaced.   But the stories about the dying and those who survived were great and moving and left me thinking about the conversations I need to have more of with my mom, friends, wife, and kids.
This thoughtful and varied graphic novel story collection was really comforting to me.  After a year of so many kinds of losses, including the death of my mom, these stories offered different takes on death and grieving.  There was something really hopeful in the connections between this life and the after...

This may be a powerful salve for many of my students.  Eager to share it with them.
You Died is a collection of comics centered on death, grief, and the afterlife. It offers a wide range of stories following characters on either side of the great divide along with supernatural beings who help souls traverse between worlds.

To say I liked this collection would be an understatement. I loved every single part of it and I cried through much of it which was unsurprising. It was healing, comforting, and exactly what I needed. As soon as I can get my hands on a copy it will be taking up a special place on my bookshelf as something to come back to over and over again.
A collection of  anthology stories dealing with death, through our practices, beliefs, myths, and stories. It was a lovely collection of culturally different expressions of death and stories. It was really interesting, and the artwork was fantastic. I had a lot of fun reading these stories! The anthology provides a comforting and insightful look into the unforgettable stories of death and what comes next. Explored through various cultures, relationships, and traditions, this is a great read for anyone!

*Thanks Netgalley and Iron Circus Comics for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*
Thank you for the ability to review this book. It felt like a work of love, with different stories ranging from personal to cartoonish. While most of the stories didn't resonate with me personally, I feel like it might be of interest to other readers drawn to works about death. I really enjoyed the variety of art styles.
'You died' made me cry, but it also made me smile.
This is a book about death, the afterlife, the in-between and cultures and myths surrounding death. Some stories made me cry, and others made me feel a strange calmness, and I think that fits death.

*Trigger Warning*
This subject (AKA Death) can be triggering, so if you aren't in a good head space or can be known to spiral at unknown topics like this one, be cautious, please.

My favourite two stories were afterlife and third option; one so raw and heartbreaking and the other so light and calming. Afterlife literally left me bawling because that hit home with how I interpreted the story for (TW) suicide, which as someone who has been and will always be suicidal can be triggering. So I appreciated the balance between heavy, comical, comfortable and just interesting stories surrounding death.
The title was a bit deceptive. While some of these short stories were about the afterlife, more of them seemed to be about the experience of dying or grieving. Anthologies are tricky to rate. Since you’re getting different stories from different authors it’s pretty hard to find an anthology where everything is fantastic. In general I liked this book. Most of the stories were both entertaining and thought provoking. There wasn’t a single story I disliked. Most of them managed to pack a lot of emotion into just a few pages. Though some of the artists made me squeamish, that had more to do with the morbid subject than the style or quality of the artwork.
I tend to love any anthology that Iron Circus puts together, and while I can't say that an anthology about death was fun to read, I will say that bits of it were quite intriguing, and sometimes even funny, such as the one illustrated by Raina Telgemeier.

The stories are about how the relatives react to death, how the dead react to death, and death itself.  There is one which plays on the story of Persephone, but from an older civilization.

Probably not the best to read when you are near by death, but that is about the only trigger warning I can give.  Other than that, the stories were the kind that got you thinking. Several were about memories.

If you are in the right mood, this can be quite enjoyable.

<em> Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.</em>
A great compilation of stories that deal with death, the afterlife, our thoughts as we are about to die and how people let go in different ways. My favorite was the story in the very beginning of the book featuring the mouse.
I really love the artwork of this book and think that the plot went along well with it. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to my students.
A collection of various stories in comic form all relating to the topic of death. Some are retellings of classic folklore & mythology related to death and the afterlife, such as "Inanna's Decent to the Underworld" while others deal with topics such as Victorian mourning rituals ("Good Mourning.") or the autobiographical stories the creators' personal experiences with the loss of a loved one ("Funeral in Foam", "I Promise").

The works in this collection come from a wide range of influences and backgrounds  and feature a diverse set of characters and relationships with the idea of death. Some are comforting and more lighthearted while others deal directly with the painful and terrible aspects of losing and grieving the loss of a loved one.

A good starting point for familiarizing young readers with the concept of death, and for those interested in different cultures' beliefs and attitudes toward death.
Thanks to NetGalley and Iron Circus Comics for the digital review copy of this comic collection.

I know what you’re thinking, a graphic novel collection all about death? Seems a little morbid, no? I mean, yeah. It is, but it’s a lot more than that. I was sold on the premise alone, but I know that’s not always a draw for folks, so rest assured, these comics look at death in a healthy, if not darkly comedic way, in most instances.

It’s only by looking at death that we truly appreciate life, and it can be really hard to say goodbye to those we love, and when our own time comes, I’m sure it’s super scary. This collection of tales comes from all types of artists across cultures, genders, and orientations to show that we all have to deal with death, and that it’s a natural part of life.

Some comics deal with saying goodbye to loved ones, others anthropomorphize death in that cartoonish, grim reaper fashion, and some explore the possibilities of what happens next. I loved the black & white art, because it seemed like, along with the theme, that style creates a cohesion across the stories, and it’s fascinating to see how many different styles still shine through, even without the variance of color.

This one is out on March 30th, and as someone who has recently lost a close loved-one, it actually really helped me remember and honor her, and that was nice, despite the tears.