Cover Image: Raft of Stars

Raft of Stars

What a fantastic read!!! Great details and amazing story development. A story about 2 boys who commit an act together and run off. A couple of kids with nowhere to go but with the hope to reach a location where their savior would make things right. The only problem, their savior doesn’t exist. The struggles of the the boys and the search party is so captivating and exciting. To top it off, a beautiful ending.
What a beautiful book! The writing and descriptions of the river and the woods is really gorgeous. I liked how the author told the story through 3 different pairs of characters all heading in the same direction.
I LOVED this book! If you are a fan of William Kent Krueger, you will love Graff! I read this book in one sitting and was so sad when it was over. I loved the characters of the two boys and felt so connected to them as they started their harrowing journey. Such as beautiful book and incredibly good writing!
I love this book. It has a lot of heart. There is this richness to it that is comforting in its subtle and natural way.
It moved my heart deeply, spoke to my mind and touched my soul. It feels like a gift.
What made me pick it up was the friendship at its core and it is absolutely beautiful, it did not disappoint and gave even more with the smooth flow of the plot, its vivid imagery and the cast of characters who are so wonderfully written, I love them and I miss them already.
I wept, I laughed out loud & I enjoyed reading it immensely!
And the audiobook was great! The narrator did an amazing job with his performance
This one was really slow for me and hard to get into. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t for me. Thank you to Netgalley and Ecco Books for sharing this title with me.
I find myself referring to it as an adult version of Where the Red Fern Grows. Personally found it to be decent,y entertaining, but not mind-blowing nor did it feel me in the way I was hoping, regardless, I know who to recommend it to.
Many thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this excellent work!

This was not my usual fare but the write-up of piqued my interest. This won't be for everyone but that is OK. Suspend disbelief and go along for the ride. Highly recommend this one. This is what great fiction is all about. Will read more from this author. Wonderful and deep characters and you won't want it to end.
This is in my shelf for a long time and every time I start, I always stopped at chapters 2 or 3. Being a mood reader that I am, I just picked it up last month and finished it.

Raft of Stars is a story of two ten-year old boys, Fischer “Fish”  Branson and Dale “Bread” Breadwin, who think they committed a crime and flee into the woods. Fish, after witnessing his friend Bread being terrorized and hurt by his father, shoots him. Believing they killed him, Fish and Bread flee the scene and head to the woods. Four adults trying to look for them and want to bring them to safety, from the forest, typhoon and rain river.

It is a simply story but full of meaning. It’s about friendships, loss, hope, believing in yourself and in mankind. There are some really tug-your-heart moments at the start and towards the end. The middle part of the story is  uneventful and I drift out more than a few times.

Thank you Netgalley and Ecco Books for the e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a well constructed adventure story about two boys who run away. Graff really paints a clear picture of the place so it feels like you are watching the action. I enjoyed reading about the boys and their friendship and I also appreciated the other characters - Sheriff Cal, Tiffany, Teddy and Miranda. The characters are well developed and likeable. The adventure is constantly changing and moves at a good pace. There are some sweet scenes and exciting ones, too. This was a solid novel which I would recommend!
Have you ever read a book that you didn’t want to end?  This is one of those books.  It is a wonderful story about two boys, Fish and Bread.  This is not only their adventure, but an adventure for two other pairs searching for them.  Bread is in an abusive homelife resulting in the boys running away “from troubles on a raft made of stars.“  The friendship between these boys is heartwarming.  This is a journey on a river for each character.  Each character’s journey is unique but the common theme is survival.  The author does a great job describing each character and the adventure on the river.  The reader easily understands the trials each character is going through.

I loved this book and would read it again.  I NEVER read a book twice, but this book is the exception.  It rated five stars!  Read it! – you won’t regret it!

Thank you to Netgalley and the book’s publisher, HarperCollins Publishers, for an advanced reader’s copy.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This story of two boys caught up in circumstances beyond their control and their adventure down a river in Wisconsin is reminiscent of William Kent Krueger and John Hart.  Very well-written with such vivid detail, great atmosphere and characterization that you feel as if you were right there in each scene.

In addition to Fish and Bread, the 10-year old boys, each of the other characters -- a mother, a grandfather, a sheriff and a lonely woman -- find meaning in their life as they search for the boys.  An intriguing book, despite an ending where everything is tied up neatly, It still has the capacity to move the reader.

I would definitely recommend this book and would like to express my thanks to Ecco and NetGalley for this copy.
Raft of Stars wasn't even what Bread & Fish named the raft, and those boys names really annoyed me. It seemed to be far into the story before nicknames made sense. The story, while very descriptive & well written, was a bit far fetched & outlandish. The story does tug on emotions & I did root for them through the adventures. Perhaps I'm too critical, but I wouldn't reread. Would give 3 1/2 *.
Taking place in the 90s in Claypot, Wisconsin, this was a heartwarming story about friendship, family, love, and loyalty written as an adventure. I had fun reading this book and think that it was executed perfectly. This is a great read for those who enjoy coming-of-age stories.
Raft of Stars is a coming of age story following two young friends, Bread and Fish, who run away after Fish takes action against Bread's abusive father. The Sheriff and Fish's grandfather go after them to bring them home.

Set in the wilderness of upper Wisconsin, Raft of Stars is a very atmospheric novel. You can literally picture what is happening. For the most part it really worked, I just wish there was some more character development amid all of the action. I did like how it wrapped all the characters up at the end.
Oh Fish and Bread, you wonderful little boys.  If Tiff didn't scoop up Bread I certainly would have.  He'll be in good hands with Tiff, Cal, and a dog.  Kodos to the author for not spelling that all out in the epilogue.

As a mother of an outdoor loving 11 year old, this book hit hard.  I felt every paddle stroke in my soul as Miranda raced to find her son.  From the moment those boys ran away, that "Mama Bear" protective power surge was engaged, and there not even my boys.

Excellent idea to give the boys nicknames.  It took the edge off of the seriousness of having two children alone in the woods, and added a gentleness to keep the story an adventure and not a thriller.
What started off with a strong start fizzled for me and I lost interest about half way through. I still plowed through, but it was not a highlight book on my list.
We have 2 young boys with a solid friendship. This is where the difficulty started for me actually, as they talked and acted far too mature for their ages. They go on the run as one of them thinks the other one has killed their abusive father. What transpires is a modern day Huck Finn of sorts. I did not like the writing style - far too long and descriptive for me. I also did not connect with the characters at all.
Thankful for the ARC nonetheless.
This book was an action packed adventure of 2 young boys as they battle a river, weather, and their own fears and limitations and come out stronger.  I think the author did an excellent job of creating believable characters, each showing positive and negative behaviors that made them very human and relatable.  This book was not just filled with wonderful drawn characters but was set in a beautifully descriptive setting in the Northern Wisconsin area.  Great book and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
I enjoyed this book.   Great characters that kept my interest.  The author does a wonderful job of describing the scenes.   You really feel like you are along for the ride.  I look forward to reading other books by this author.
I would have liked to see Bread and Fish face some actual consequences for the hell they put these adults through. Fish's mom and grandpa went into that forest looking for those boys and faced equally rough times, just like the boys did. When the boys saw that the adults they actually trusted were worried and coming for them, they ran even further away into danger. I think out of all the hard to believe scenarios this novel presented me with, that's the worst yet. The fact that the boys kept on running. Rapids, bears, and all.

I would have turned back around and let the sheriff have them if my son had run from me, seeing that I'd come all that way to help him and his friend! They would have went to Juvie for sure - not for attempted murder, nope... for being runaways. Little as*holes.

Thanks netgalley for giving me the pdf so that I can share my thoughts and opinions with y'all 🧡
GOREGOUS. If you like character driven stories you'll love this.  The writing was beautiful, the character memorable - nothing bad to say about this book!