Cover Image: Goodnight Sweetheart

Goodnight Sweetheart

It took me a while to tackle Goodnight Sweetheart by Pam Weaver. I just could not get into it and I felt it dragged on in some spaces. The story of Frankie, a young woman that joins the British Army after being sent to live with her Aunt and relatives as WW2 begins just did not grab me. In the midst of the war, she falls in love with an African American doctor. Frankie encounters racism and bigotry that seems to only be an American trait because racism doesn't exist in Great Britian. Other themes explored include homophobia, PTSD and slightly graphic violence as it is a war story.

The writing style has a nice flow and you can tell the author thoroughly researched the era. However, I feel like a third of this book could've been left out. Pick it up if you enjoy wartime romances and historical fiction with a strong female lead.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this work.
As someone who enjoys WW2 fiction , I had hoped this would be a great read but I found I could not keep on with it. It deals with racism, and a lot of it. The build is slow and to be honest, I found it boring. If you rather read about a love story that is trying to overcome racist problems, then its a good pick, but not for anyone looking for a WW2 novel.
"Goodnight Sweetheart" by Pam Weaver
Publication date: 3.2.20201

Frankie is sent to live with her Aunt Bet in the countryside after her mother dies.  She becomes accustomed to life on the farm.  Then, World War II starts, and Frankie signs up for the women's branch of the British Army!

She meets an American doctor, Romare.  Romare experienced much racial abuse in America and continues to face this cruel behavior, despite his sacrifice to the war effort.  Most novels written about this time period do not even mention any discrimination.

This is the first book I've read by Pam Weaver, and it certainly won't be my last.  This is a wartime drama, set over the course of the war, focusing on a strong, female character. Unlike many novels which focus on the war itself, this novel discussed the social issues during the war.  I liked that the characters returned to the farm throughout the novel; it was like the cornerstone.  Ms. Weaver obviously spent much time researching.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I did not know what to expect from this book.  I really thought it would be your typical wartime romance novel, but it wasn't.  It was about love, social injustice, racism and love..  Put that all together at a time where bombs and countries were falling all around..  Frankie Sherwood was a young girl whose only memories of her mother were a last birthday party and some wonderful stories that her mother would read to her, plus a doll that her mother had made for her.  Once her mother has died Frankie goes to live with her Aunt Bet, Uncle Lorry and cousins.  This is where Frankie's life would change.forever.  She starts fighting for women's rights even if its just to ride in a motorcycle race. Then it is off to work in a florist where she learns a trade but also how she can make more money.  War breaks out and the author Pam Weaver writes a story of how the women put forth an effort for the common good and work for the war service.  Frankie see a lot of death and horror even coming from her own family when her cousin Alan goes through terrible PTSD.  Her cousin Ronald who has to hide being gay at a time when even the KKK find a way into England.  Ms Weaver writes of the love between Frankie and Dr. Delaney who happens to be a black Army doctor.  This is when you see the evils of racism show it's ugly head and again Frankie's life changes.  Losing the man she loved she faces a world of craziness and darkness. Without giving away to much Ms. Weaver writes about a women who struggles with the truth of her mother, the love of the forbidden kind and how Frankie fights for what is right even though she knows its very hard .  Thank you Harper 360 for approving me for this book and Ms. Weaver for writing such a beautiful story with so much history behind it and some hate.  It is a love of family, friends and self worth that brings Frankie full circle.  You should all read this and look forward to and Pam Weaver writing.
Goodnight Sweetheart by Pam Weaver is a heartbreaking novel set in WWII.  It’s  my favorite time period to read about.
Frankie’s mother dies and she is sent to live with an aunt.  When war breaks out, she signs up with the women’s branch of the British Army.  She meets Romare, a young doctor from the United States.  He has been a victim of racism in his own country and it is not much better in the UK.  Actually anyone of color serving in the military is segregated from the white servicemen.
Romare and Frankie start a romance and ultimately marry.   Sadly, the racism that was and is prevalent caught up with the couple.  At times this book brought me to tears.  Ms. Weaver tells a good story in this novel and in others that she has written.
Goodnight Sweetheart
 A remarkable book, one that was hard to put down. Historical perspective, yet with some fiction.
A fantastic historical fiction book that follows the life of a young woman both before and during World War 2.  This book is different than others in that it very honestly deals with the issue of racism during this era. I found it his story to be honest in the portrayal of this difficult issue. I enjoyed the book very much.
I am grateful to Net Galley for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book. My review is my own and is in no way required by the publisher.
This caption: a heartbreaking World War Two historical fiction saga that will bring tears to your eyes and love to your heart...could not be more true~
I thourally enjoyed reading it!
A wonderfully written story that will transport it's readers back in time (1930's and 1940's) on Britain. It was a  read that once I started....could not be put it down. Pam Weaver's style is such an easy one to get so engrossed and enjoy, despite it's horrific subject matters. But the core of this story is much more...it is tender and so sweet!
 It was pure engulfing....escapism.! Just what I need especially at this time in the world!
Goodnight Sweetheart is historical fiction that tells the story of Frankie,  whose single mother died when she was ten and she is sent to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousins.  We learn about her life after that sad event as well as the lives of her friends and family as they all cope with WWII in the UK,  which includes bigotry and racism when Frankie falls in love with and marries a black American doctor.  I like the author's writing style but I didn't expect the graphic violence in the story and the fact that the violence and racism was shown as being an American thing while the Brits were presented as openminded and loving towards all races.  As an American, that rubbed me the wrong way.  Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to HarperCollins Publishers and Net Galley for this ARC.  The first thing I will say is that the title and the synopsis are somewhat misleading and do not accurately reflect what this book is all about. The story takes you far beyond the bounds of the Second World War and deals mainly with racism in America during that period and racism amongst the American GIs and military as well as the treatment of black Americans involved in the US Military.  This book deals with very serious racial violence.  That being said, all-in-all this book was good. There were many different stories and even mysteries intricately woven throughout the main characters.  I didn’t think the different points of view were as well-woven within chapters.  It jumped around a bit.  However, over all this was an engaging read.
Set in England this is a story of love, warmth of family in one respect, while on the other side of the coin we see racism, bigotry and hatred raise its ugly head.  In 1933 10 year old Frankie loses her mother, Moira, dying of a heart attack.  Taken in by her mother's sister and family, Frankie finds herself surrounded with warmth and love.  As the years pass,and she enters her teen years and beyond, WWII bears down on England, with Frankie wanting to do her bit to help.  It is at this time that she meets a doctor, Romane a young, black American who has come to England after facing terrible racism in America.  It was inevitable that both the doctor and Frankie would fall in love.  It was also inevitable that there would be "heavy difficulties" with their relationship as racism rears its ugly head no matter where you are.  I was not surprised to be reading this, as I have read enough to know about the segregation within the ranks of the U.S. army.  I must say, however, this was quite a different take on the story of WWII and not one to be pushed aside.

The novel was well written, the characters well developed and even though there were parts that were disturbing to say the least, it was wonderful.   The author always brought us back to the love and warmth of family, through all the hard and tragic times. I enjoyed reading this novel.  Bravo to Ms. Weaver for taking on a subject that some would like to see swept under the rug.

My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.