Cover Image: All the Children Are Home

All the Children Are Home

An emotionally gripping page turner that explores the true meaning of familial love. You won’t be able to put it down!
I knew this would be a little sad but parts of it really broke my heart and made it hard to continue.  The characters felt like real people to me and I was really invested in their story.  Get your tissues.
This is an important story about the foster care system. I enjoyed the part about Agnes and how she bonded with the family being from another race. The author showcased the love as well as the heartache in being part of this type of a family unit. Well researched! #AllTheChildrenAreHome #PatryFrancis #NetGalley
Foster homes and orphanages always leave me conflicted. I've had family members and friends raised in both, so reading about them is always interesting. I have co-workers who have had family members in foster care and heard horror stories. I've worked with children in foster care and heard about the families they were from and their horror stories.. Orphanages seem to have disappeared for the most part in the us, BUT they still exist in other countries. I requested and received this book to get another view. Tho' fictional, I think it might be an accurate account of a particular family's experience. It wasn't a bad read exactly, but one that gave me a new perspective- neither good or bad, just new.  I think Ms. Francis has written a read worthy story that readers will feel satisfied reading.
Another hit by Patry Francis. Couldn’t put this down, I had to find out what happened to all the characters. You get vested in the kids right away. You root for them and can’t believe how broken the foster care system is. Great story, a must read.
This book is set in the 1950s and 1960s and follows the Moscatelli family who live in a small town in Massachusetts. Dahlia and Louie are foster parents to Jimmy, Zaidie, and Jon. One day Agnes shows up to live with them, but Dahlia really does not want to take in another little girl. Agnes comes and is deeply connected to each family member and shows the strength and bond possible in families. Over the years, we follow the family as they experience many heart-wrenching situations that force them to fall back on family for support.

I really loved the characters in this book. Each was very dynamic and we learned a lot about their background and why they are the way they are. I really loved the inside look into a foster family and found myself rooting for each character throughout. Jimmy was a very devoted older brother that struggled with his fathers past, but would do anything for his foster parents and siblings. Zaidie was extremely sweet and caring and went through so much trying to care for her brother Jon. She took Agnes under her wing and the two were inseparable. Agnes was deeply troubled and experienced so much as a young kid. She had bounced around with so many different families and truly bonded the Moscatelli family. Both Dahlia and Louie were very complex characters that we learned about throughout the book.

I do wish there was more description of the town in which they lived. I was a little confused in the beginning with who each person was and what their background was and it seemed to take some time to learn about each persons past, but it may have made things more clear early on. Overall, I felt very invested in the lives of the characters and I would love to read a sequel to follow the characters on their future endeavors.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
All the Children Are Home is an Epic Saga about a foster family. I happen to really like books about the foster system. A lot of these books mostly shed light on the ugly part of the foster care system, but this book shared a family that was really doing good.

I thought this was written very well and had a very interesting storyline.

I have always liked sagas, as well.

Definitely recommended.
A story about families and what each members bring to it.  Parents who sponsor foster children and the difficulties and pleasures that each new member brings.  I didn't like this book in the beginning but i was determined to finish it and was glad that I didn't put it down.  Each character was wonderfully developed ; gives the reader an understanding why people foster children and why it is not always an easy adjustment.   Will recommend, I feel like this book would be an excellent  book to discuss at book clubs.
Dahlia Moscatelli's life is bound to her foster children.  Initially, she told social services that she only wanted boys but they managed to talk her into taking a few girls.  Dahlia knows the horrors that girls face and she doesn't want to be an observer to this.  She herself suffered some horrible trauma as a young woman that keeps her housebound with her foster children.  Her husband Louis has a stern exterior but a heart of gold.

One day, social services comes to Dahlia begging her to take in a young Native American girl named Agnes.  Agnes has suffered long and terrible abuse and is barely able to speak.  One of the older foster girls, Zaide, takes Agnes under her wing and helps teach her proper speaking and comforts her when she fearful.  Agnes is frightened that Dean's car, the one her abuser drives, will come for her and she will not be able to escape.  Every night she watches for it.  Nightmares overrun her sleep and she often gets into Zaides's bed for protection.

The other two children in Dahlia's care are Jimmy, a teenager who is struggling with first love and his hormones, and Joe, Zaide's little brother who is a toddler.

Agnes has bad asthma and she is told never to run.  She has no knowledge of her heritage except for a box she carries everywhere that contains mementos of her past life.

At first I really enjoyed the narrative and story line but then it got a bit bland and distant to me.  I couldn't connect well with the characters and I found too much of the novel repetitive and prescient.  This is not to say I did not like the book, it is only to indicate that had it been edited more, and the character development been richer, it could have been a much better novel.  3.5 rounded up to 4.
One of the best novels I have read this year, it takes your breath away.

The story follows four foster children and their foster family through many years.  Jimmy, Zaida and her biological brother Jon, live with Louis and Deliah Moscatelli..  One day a new foster child, Agnes, who is part native american, arrives.  Agnes is only supposed to be there temporarily but after a failed placement, she becomes part of this family.  Little by little, the back story for each character is revealed.  The writing is superb with sentences that won't let you go.  I actually had to sit for several minutes after finishing the book and try to take it all in.  .HIghly recommend this novel.
4.5 stars. Equal parts realistically brutal and passionately optimistic, this book delves into the life of a foster family during the late 1950-1960s, each member with their own baggage and obstacles. The story of Dahlia, Louie and their foster children Jimmy, Zaida, Jon and Agnes explores their strength, perseverance and love for one another as they each face their pasts and the darker parts of themselves over a period of ten years. It's hard to describe how much Patry Francis made me care about these characters. I felt like I got to see the kids grow up, feel hopeful when their lives made happy turns and equally crushed when things went wrong. As intense as  their stories were, this book was about ultimately about overcoming the weight of the past, pushing forward and finding new dreams and goals, finding family and fighting for it.  Not a light read, but very beautiful.
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy!

Spoiler Trigger Warnings:
      Child abuse, discussion of attempted suicide, a survivor of a violent rape recalls her experience (it's not graphic in description, but in context its pretty brutal)
What a wonderful book!  Touching, heartbreaking, and beautiful.  It is the story of a family that takes in foster children, and the loving relationships that develop between them all.   The character development is pitch perfect, all the characters interact with other in such a w0nderful way.  I highly recommend this book, and thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book.
I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters in this book. I also found the writing style to be awkward. Good luck to the author, but I will not be recommending the book.
What a wonderful, heartwarming, heartwrenching story. This book tells the story of Dahlia and Louie and their life with foster children. But it is so much more than that. It tells of the successes and failures of the foster child programs and the author, Patry Francis, tells it well. She has great characters and she tells the story in such a way that makes you want to keep reading. This would make a great book group selection.
I was instantly drawn to this story because of my experience being a foster parent. There is a lot going on in this story.  There is beautiful story telling done here. As someone who has been involved in foster care for a while, it is a very unrepresented story line that I wish more people knew about.

“All the Children are Home” does do some things really well. It shows the complications of being in foster care. At its core being in foster care means your family is broken. These kids in residential care just need above all love. This shows that in the weaving of it’s story.

I particularly loved the story line of Agnes. The author did such a good job of showing what it’s like to be a different race than your foster family. I enjoyed as a reader being able to watch her grow and thrive under the care of Ma.

Thank you so much Net Galley for this advanced copy, I enjoyed reading it!
5 huge stars!!!  I read the description for All the Children Are Home and I knew I HAD to read it!  Right off the bat, I can already say this novel will be in my top 3 novels for all of 2021!  Patry Francis has created a tale that is equal parts heartbreaking and heartwarming and will stay with you long after you’ve finished!  This character driven storyline gripes you from the start and by the time I finished I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to read another novel for a couple of days because I still had this book swimming around in my mind!  I know for absolute certainty that I will re-read All the Children Are Home again and again!  I highly recommend this novel for your next book club selection, I could talk about this book for hours!!!