Cover Image: Their Silent Graves

Their Silent Graves

I really enjoy Carla Kovach’s DI Harte books. Their Silent Graves is another great in the series and kept me wanting to read. I flew through the last 10% of the book so I could find out what happened.

On a cold night, right before Halloween, two teenagers are walking through the woods on their way to a Halloween party at school. While in the process of trying to spook each other out, they make a horrific discovery.

It doesn’t take long for the media to blow up what happened. A killer is on the loose and killing people by burying them alive. Pressure ramps up when Gina Harte becomes a major target for the killer. Her personal life is being ripped apart and her past is being brought to light in the worst possible way.

What is her connection to the killer? How can they know so much about what she had went through? When another woman goes missing, DI Harte knows they don’t have much time. It’s another race against the clock to find the killer, and fast, before another victim is claimed.

Fast paced, good plot, interesting characters and good twists!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC!
I just love a serial killer and that’s all I’m saying.  Kept me up until the early hours reading and glad I kept the light on.  I cannot recommend highly enough that this should be read.  When can I have the next one?
I love a great serial killer book.  This was no exception!  I have not read any other books in the series so this is book 7.  I will have to go back and start from book one later.  Around Halloween, two girls find a shallow grave and things get more exciting from there.  I liked the character of Detective Gina Harte. This book had me wanting to read more and it was hard to put it down.  This book was creepy and kept me in suspense.  I loved the ride and would read more books from this author.  I am glad I found a new series to enjoy.  I am always looking for a new great series to keep my attention before bed.  *This book was given to me for free at my request from NetGalley and I provided this voluntary review.*
Woah. The storyline grabbed me at first bite. You need to read the other books in the series to get to know Gina. It was a fast paced book which kept you reading past your bedtime !!
The book has some chapters based in the past that gave more insight into motive of the killer. This fast paced story with plenty of suspense, action, secrets and all  the ingredients to make this an absolutely riveting thriller that's full of twists and turns and a Halloween vibe. The descriptions were brilliant. I would never have guessed the way it ended.

Another strong woman detective character and I'm looking forward to reading more in this series and from this author.
This was a great thriller! The supernatural ghost called the "coffin killer" by the media is on the loose in Cleevesford. Gina and the others she works with are working overtime to try and catch this person (who is not actually a ghost but someone getting revenge for crimes long past) who is burying people alive and leaving letters for Gina reminding her of her own troubled past with her abusive ex husband. There are secrets in the town though and if the people don't fess up they will be next and the killer won't be caught!

This was a fun and exciting read and though this is the first book that I have read in this series, it was clear enough that I wasn't ever confused though I will definitely read the other books after this one so that I can learn even more about Gina.

I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book! I enjoy twists and unexpected surprises and I got it all here. I tried to guess the outcome, but found the book more enjoyable as a spectator. Highly recommend!
Thrilling, full of suspense and had me on the edge of my seat, this book is most definitely a page turner!.
The storyline itself is rather dark, but that really adds a new, unique twist to the story. The story took many twists and turns as the book neared the end, and I can honestly say that the conclusion was something I did not expect at all.
Perfectly paced and written in a way that captivates you from the first page right until the last, this is a book I would certainly recommend to all thriller lovers.
This book was a harder read for me than any of the others in this series, but that was down to it being darker and more gruesome than the other ones. The subject matter was much darker and I don't think me feeling ill will have helped much. However I still enjoyed the book and the big reveal came as a shock out of nowhere. I hadn't even suspected this particular person! Once again I was completely wrong in my suspicions.
This is the seventh book in the series featuring Detective Gina Harte.  I haven’t read many of the books in this series and feel that I would have enjoyed it better if I had.  It is Halloween and two young girls discover a shallow grave with a coffin containing the decaying corpse of a young woman.  When Gina and her team are sent to investigate it becomes clear that the victim has been buried alive.  When another grave is found they realise that a serial killer is on the loose.  We realise that Gina has had a terrifying past and then she starts receiving letters from the killer revealing things about her relationship with the deceased husband that no one but herself and her DCI knew about so she begins to suspect him.  Can the killer be found before he strikes again and what is the connection between the victims?  This book is filled with tension, suspense and secrets, plenty of twists and turns and a totally unexpected ending.  A highly recommended read.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Their Silent Graves is the 7th book of the series. I prefer books that have continuing stories from the beginning, but they can be stand alone as well. This was a story of two teen girls on their way to a Halloween party, but on their way they discover an open grave with a corpse, a length of rope to a bell with no clapper. This was a very good story. I love how the past is tied to the present. Many times it is apparent who did it, but not this one. I am interested in starting with book one and continuing on, I like to see the characters and how they develop. DI Gina Harte is a strong character as the story gives us bits and pieces of her past, I am sure there is more to come.
Great book. I was hooked. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.

Gina is a great character and this gave you more of an insight into her previous life and why she did what she did.

Can't wait to read the next one.
Yet again, Kovach produces an amazing read. I have read this whole series and am always waiting for the next one! Such a thriller, would highly recommend.
I absolutely love the Gina Harte series.  Carla has created a fab character and this is one of my favourite female detective series.

Gina's life seems to be okay, that is up until she takes on a case that brings back memories of her abusive dead husband.

Her background is brought to the forefront of the case and it is up to Gina to save the day!

It is a great psychological thriller.  I love of all the books and this one did not disappoint.  I cannot wait for the next instalment.
Their Silent Graves is another bone chilling psychological thriller not to miss. Follow Detective Gina Harte through a mystery that spans 20+ years. A ghost story turns into a real life serial killer. Follow a group of friends that are bonded by an evil act- a group who will do anything to keep their secret all these years later. A heart thumping, page turner. 4 stars.
Wow! A brilliantly gripping thriller. I haven't read the previous books in the serious but definitely will be now.
There is a serial killer at work and their chosen method of killing is a personal dread.  Gina Harte and the team are really up against it, they must find the killer before more people go missing.  A chilling story.
This is without doubt THE BEST police procedural / crime series EVER. I was therefore delighted to receive an arc of this book.

The whole Gina Harte series just goes from strength to strength and never fails to grip you from the beginning through to the end.

Harte is the lead detective when two girls on the way to a Halloween party, take a short cut through the woods and come accrued a shallow grave. The way it is written really puts you at the scene and you can almost feel spooked like the characters would be! What is found is that victims seem to be tortured and buried alive!

However when more of these shallow graves begin to appear Gina and her team are really under pressure to get to the bottom of what is happening which proves difficult when the perp is covering their tracks very well.

There is a real race against time to stop more of these gruesome deaths and with lots of twists and turns along the way you are gripped all the way through!

It was great to connect with all the usual characters in this series once again!
This book looks great - beautiful cover and interesting description. However, I have just realized that it is the 7th book in a series. I don't like to review books that are so far into a series because even if they can pass as standalone books, you miss a lot of the backstory of the repeating characters and I don't feel as if I am necessarily doing them justice. When I feel like the characters are underdeveloped and I don't care about them, or if many characters are launched at me at the same time...well, it's because all of this was fleshed out in the earlier books and it's my fault I missed it!

It seems like a very interesting series, so I will definitely be looking into the earlier books.
I jumped into the Detective Gina Harte series with the seventh instalment Their Silent Graves. It starts with two teenage girls in Halloween costumes discovering a shallow grave in woodland on the outskirts of town, but Harte and her team soon realise they are on the hunt for a serial killer. For Harte, the case becomes personal when she receives notes that reveal somebody knows her own secrets from the past. Somehow that is connected with what is happening in the small town now. But will she and her team track down the killer before more lives are lost? Their Silent Graves is an enjoyable police procedural. The story will be enhanced for readers who are fans of the series with a deep connection to the central characters and backstory that links into this case.