Cover Image: Their Silent Graves

Their Silent Graves

This series just keeps going from strength to strength, Their Silent Grave is the 7th book in this series and what a belter and no better timing to read it than around Halloween which added to it!

Det Gina Harte is called in when two girls take a short cut through the woods to a Halloween party stumbling upon a shallow grave, what is discovered sends shivers up her spine and those reading it! It appears that there had been a string attached to the coffin in the grave which led to a bell, was the victim buried alive and given a chance at raising the alarm? Gina and her team are up against it with not much to go on and then another shallow grave/coffin is found…. What/who exactly are they dealing with and why? Can they figure it out before more graves are discovered? No pressure eh!!

This book had an eerie nightmarish quality to it, it grips you from the getgo, brings all your worst nightmares to the forefront, a brilliantly twisty thriller that will keep your finger nails bitten to the quick, highly recommend.
A good and interesting read!

I would recommend this to everyone who loves a good story with captivating characters! Definitely a good read!
Two girls decide to take a short cut through the woods but they stumble upon a grave with a piece of string running from the grave to a bell without a clanger.
D.I. Gina Hart and her team are called on to the case.
Gina recognises the man from an alltercation in the cafe she was in.
Gina receives letters off the killer relating to horrible things that happened to her when she was married to Terry.
Then they find a other grave they realise a serial killer is on the loose and must catch them before they kill again.
Another great book
Thanks NetGalley
This book hooked me from the start and i couldn't put it down until i finish it. Absolutely LOVE it!! Amazing psychological thriller!!
I really enjoyed this book all the way through.  It had a really good plot, great main characters and really keeps you hooked on the plot.  I would highly recommend this book.
A fresh grave is discovered with a bell without a clapper. The man has been buried alive, desperate to escape. But the grave is silent and no one comes to save him...
I remember reading a book as a teenager about the Victorian tradition of attaching a bell to dead people's fingers due to fears of being buried alive. It terrified me then and it does now. We see the perspective of the victims as they experience their last moments of life. There is not a great deal of forensic detail or violence, but the psychological aspect is strong and creates anticipation and fear.
Some chapters feature events from the past and there is obviously a correlation between these and the murders in the present. Victimised in the past, now the killer has a murderous agenda but is also contacting Gina due to the abuse she suffered and a feeling of rapport towards her.
The pace of the book slowed down in the middle which I found frustrating. The ending picks up pace again as Gina's safety is endangered. This brings her to an understanding about the killer, ready for the final showdown. I did not guess the killer and felt that the conclusion brought the strands of plot together including the local and press knowledge about Gina's abusive husband.
Their Silent Graves is the 7th book to feature Gina as the lead detective. The abuse Gina suffered and her cautious relationship with senior officer Briggs continue to have prominence but it is not necessary to have read the preceding books in the series to enjoy this one.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is my second read by this author and I really enjoyed it.  Gina Harte as a character is slowly growing on me.  She investigates a murder where it appears the victim has been buried alive.   There are a lot of plot lines and twists in the book that I really liked.    I thought I knew who the murderer was and was wrong.    The book captured my attention from the beginning and held it all the way through.   I found this book to be one I didn’t want to put down.  I love the authors writing style and look forward to the next book.

4 stars
A perfect dark night read . It’s Halloween and there are ghosts and ghouls haunting the streets and the woods, unfortunately for two girls they come  across a real life nightmare in the form of a a grave . A grave attached  to a broken bell, the who and why behind it will slowly unravel as the book progresses. Can Gina Harte solve the murder or will there be more deaths,. What links the deaths and the bodies only time will tell but that time is running out. A fast paced edge of your seat read that will take you on an adrenaline fuelled journey.dark and suspenseful it is yet another brilliant police procedural novel  that you will want to read one chapter more of till it’s finished..
Bravo!! Once again, Carla Kovach writes another outstanding thriller. I couldn’t stop reading, it was an absolute page-turner, It’s everything you want and more in a psychological thriller. I eagerly await the next instalment.
This book took me a while to read, I think it was cause of the topic and it kept freaking me out. I’m really glad that I stuck with it as it’s a great read, I never suspected it was that person and it had so many twists to it. It was the first book of Carla’s that I have read and I know it will not be my last, was very well written and when I got used to the topic of it it was well worth the read.
From my blog: Always With a Book:

This is the seventh book in the Detective Gina Harte series and I definitely think this series gets better and better with each new installment! It's so addicting and compelling...I just love when I find these crime fiction/police procedural series with a strong female lead.

While this book can definitely be read as a stand-alone - something that I am finding most books in series can be done these days - I will say that I highly recommend reading the previous books first. There is quite a lot of backstory on the characters that I think is helpful in really understanding the characters more fully and some threads that deal with the character development are carried over from book to book.

This latest book really takes a toll on Detective Gina Harte and again, if you haven't read the previous books, you might be at a disadvantage. Having said that, you really see how much her past still wreaks havoc on her, and despite her being such a strong person, some days it's a tough battle. And it seems as if there is someone out there that is determined to not let what happened in the past go...someone is determined to settle some scores and is going to use Gina to do so.

I love that we see such a human side to Gina Harte in this book. We see her unsettled by what is happening here as much as she tries not to let it get to her. And even though she wants to trust Briggs, there is a part of her that has to question him and you can't fault her - he is after all the only one that knows exactly what happened that long ago night, he is the only one she has told.

This book is dark and creepy, the Halloween theme makes it the perfect book to pick up right now, but again, I caution you to please consider reading the earlier books first. It really does make for a much more richer reading experience.
A well written, chilling narrative that keeps you gripped from start to finish. Just when you think you may have worked it all out it turned out it was going in a totally different direction. One of my favourite reads this year.
Their Silent Graves by Carla Kovach is the 7th in the Detective Gina Harte series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background: (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)

DI Gina Harte works homicides. Her team consists of: DS Jacob Driscoll, DC Harry O’Connor and DC Paula Wyre, with a lot of assistance from PC Smith, and now PC Kapoor. Gina is a stubborn lady, and a determined detective. She has had a rough life, which has led to an uneasy relationship with her daughter and grand-daughter.  It has also led to a lack of real friends, and an on-again/off-again relationship with her boss, DCI Chris Briggs. It is not common knowledge that her husband was abusive, and no one knows that she helped him fall to his death many years ago.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

It is the Halloween season, and two teenage girls take a short-cut through a wooded area on the way to a party.  One of the girl trips, and from there the evening goes downhill.   Seeing a bell hanging from the tree above them, they follow the rope down to the ground, where they find a shallow grave, complete with coffin.

Detective Gina Harte and her team must first try to identify the body in this grave, and then try and figure out why someone would want to torture someone by burying them alive.

Meanwhile, Gina is receiving messages from the killer. This killer seems to know Gina, and know her past.  The past that Gina has kept secret for so long, the fact that her husband was abusive.  It almost feels like Terry is back and taunting her.

My Opinions:

I've really enjoyed this series, but I am getting a little tired of the main female character's past coming back to haunt her, or interfere with her work, etc.  I am ready for a strong female character who isn't carrying this big chip on her shoulder.  Okay, done ranting.

First, this could probably be read as a stand-alone novel, but I think you will understand Gina better if you start at the beginning.

I really think this is a good series, and although the plot was a little dark, it is Halloween, so it can be expected.  The plot, even if a little predictable, and the perpetrator obvious, was still good.  Kovach took a look at bullying, and how it can affect a person later in life.  It also looked at when bullying is taken to the extreme.  That was really interesting.

Anyway, bottom line, it was a good addition to the series and I will continue to follow Gina Harte!
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary advance reader copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This is the 7th book in the Detective Gina Harte series; it would be great as a stand alone book but I think you should read the whole series as I just love these characters.  Gina is flawed but strong and honest; she has a past that she can’t let go of, a secret past that tries to rear its ugly head and she feels like this secret would ruin her life if it gets out. When a body is found buried alive in a coffin, the killer starts sending personal letters to Gina; since ghosts can’t come back to actually haunt her, she needs to solve this mystery and find the killer before they ruin the future she has worked so hard to create.

I really enjoy this series, it was a quick read that kept my attention and kept me reading into the night. I love the characters and cannot wait to see where this series go next.
DI Gina Harte was back with another intriguing case which took all of her determination and calm to get it solved, especially when there were creepy notes being sent to her. Someone knew her past. Author Carla Kovach had all the plot lines on a string where suspense was used to tighten them up.

Having read a few of this author’s works, I was completely engrossed in this deadly tale of being buried alive in a grave with the bell on the outside as they used to do in the olden times. It was claustrophobic and creepy, to say the least.

Gina was tough and vulnerable with memories of her abusive past hitting her at times, making me want to soothe her. The villain was smooth and knew enough about Gina to keep one step ahead of her. It was nice to get the cat and mouse vibe here.

Book 7 this was, the murder mystery could be read alone, but knowing Gina intimately would require brushing up with the rest of the books. Her team too had more of an input to allow me to get to them further. I would have loved the story to be slightly fast-paced.

But like all murder mysteries I read, I like donning the Detective hat to get to the killer. This time too gave me a rollicking time trying to solve it.

Secrets and suspense were the core of this book, getting to the killer was the aim, and only author Carla Kovach could achieve this in such a smooth manner. A fun read.
Terrific series!  Lots of twists and suspense with Halloween being the back drop. Gina is drawn into a case of people being buried alive, reminding her of her trials as an abused wife. Enjoyed totally/recommend highly! Thanks to Bookouture & NetGalley for a copy of this book.
This is the 7th book in the DI Gina Harte series, this is a solid series which you will easily be captivated by.

Firstly I must acknowledge the dedication at the beginning of the book for all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to the pandemic.

Having read all of the series so far I'm always in great anticipation when a new one is released and like the other six before this one didn't disappoint great to be reacquainted with Gina and the gang and although it can be read as a stand alone novel to get the full picture it would help to read the previous books and you won't be disappointed.

This book reminds me of a previous novel that I have read with the coffin bell ringing but i'm at a loss as to remember which book (that's the issue with being a book worm)

This is a solidly written and engaging tense crime thriller full of suspense and anticipation now the wait for book 8 starts.
"Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour...but sometimes your enemy isn't all they seem."

Teenagers. Bodies buried alive in bespoke coffins. Cryptic notes. Unreliable witnesses. A serial killer on the loose? DI Gina Harte has her hands full as she and her team investigate the murders. They are having a hard time coming up with a motive but hope that they can solve this crime before the press goes crazy and before another body is discovered. NO SPOILERS.

There are two flashbacks that start this 7th in the series. The first is 24 years ago and the second is 12 years ago on a frosty Halloween night so it seems fitting that this murder spree starts right around that time in present day. This was a straight forward police procedural featuring Gina Harte as the lead and I must confess that I was pretty disappointed in the whole story once the reveals had been made. It all seemed pretty weak as a basis for the crimes and resultant criminal charges but I don't know UK law. I'm tired of Gina and her obsession with her past history and I don't think this should be read without having followed the series from the beginning. Why are so many of these female leads in detective series so damaged? I've come this far in the series having read them all to date, but just not sure if I want to continue as I've seen no evidence of personal growth and the rest of the team barely get a mention much less fleshed out to develop individual personalities. Also, how is it possible that many of these leads always end up being some sort of victim themselves? This was not a bad book, but it certainly didn't provide a lot of gripping suspense or twists that I didn't see coming.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing this e-book ARC for me to read and review.
This is the first book i read in this series and won't surely be the last as I loved it.
It's a fast paced, well written and highly entertaining police procedural that kept me hooked till the last.
I loved the well thought cast of interesting characters, the solid mystery that kept me guessing and the excellent storytelling.
Even if it's the 7th in this series I had no issue with the plot or the characters.
It's an excellent read that I strongly recommend.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
This is the 7th book in the Detective Gina Harte series, but it is the first I have read. I know there is a lot of back story, but I was still fully engrossed in this story and had no problem following the action. This is a gripping police procedural, set in the fictional Midlands town of Cleevesford. I was gripped right from the first page and did not take a breath until I had almost reached the end. The story opens with two teens stumbling upon a grave in the woods. It turns out that someone was buried alive and Gina along with her team are tasked with finding out who the victim is, what happened to them and who is responsible. Along with that, there are flashbacks to Gina's life as a young mother and wife. When another body turns up and Gina begins receiving letters, the tension and suspense builds. This book is a fast-paced police procedural with a well-developed plot and an interesting and intriguing cast of characters. It's well written with several twists and red herrings that had me guessing and twisting in the wind. I had no idea who the culprit was until the reveal. The story is mainly told from Gina's POV, but the culprit's POV is shared at times, as well as flashbacks to what happened to her, but we do not know who it is. It was a great, tense ending and I was quite pleased with how it all came together. This is a highly entertaining and engrossing police procedural, which I highly recommend.