Cover Image: Minus Me

Minus Me

This was enjoyable women's fiction, less predictable than I assumed it would be!

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
This was a really cute book! The synopsis grabbed me and I was not disappointed. The book took a turn that I was not expecting, and the ending was a little predictable -- but the story had a sweet message to it and makes you wonder what you would do in that situation. Recommended! Thank you, Netgalley, for this arc.
I loved the premise of this book: Annie, who is in her late 30s, gets a terrible medical diagnosis and begins to write a manual for her husband, Sam, on how to live life without her (hence the title, “Minus Me”). Throughout the book, we learn more about her seemingly unshakeable 17-yeaer marriage to Sam and her fractious relationship with her famous but absent mother, a well-known actress.

I really enjoyed the first three-quarters of the book. After that, things started coming apart for me. This was mostly because of my least-favorite plot device (lack of communication). At first, it’s understandable that Annie wants to keep her bad news from Sam. However, it’s a huge red flag when you start meeting with cancer specialists and fertility doctors without telling your husband.

Without giving any spoilers, the entire storyline was a little too neatly tied up with a bow. Let’s just no tears were shed.

The writing was good. I really enjoyed seeing Annie and Ursula mend their fractured relationship. I wanted to like book as well. It just wasn’t for me, but others may enjoy it.

Thank you #NetGalley for the #ARC of #MinusMe in exchange for my honest opinion. It is available for purchase today, January 12, 2021.
🌟🌟🌟.5

I wanted to DNF this book because it's pretty boring because of the long paragraphs. I am someone who love more dialogue than long paragraphs hehe but I'm glad I didn't stop reading because it turns out quite good. Annie received a bad news from her doctor that she might have a lung cancer. She can't tell her husband yet because it's not confirm so she start making a manual so that her husband, Sam can live his life without her. He is too dependent on her. The way Annie describe the marriage as a perfect marriage seems not true. I mean she didn't tell the truth and the way Sam react when she wanted to tell him annoyed me. Like goshhh he was so immature and Annie should just tell it straight to the point.

Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for Minus Me ARC!
Minus Me by Mameve Medwed is a charming novel that is poignant and surprisingly uplifting.

Annie Stevens-Strauss receives a diagnosis that she tries but fails to tries to tell her husband of seventeen years Sam. Since he is pretty hopeless with household tasks, she writes a manual full of helpful hints that range from the everyday to finding love again. Meanwhile, Annie puts off further testing until her self-absorbed mother, Ursula, makes a rare appearance in their small town in Maine. When Annie is swept off to New York for a doctor’s appointment by Ursula, will their unexpected time together be the best or worst thing for their fractured relationship? And what effect will her extended time away from Sam have on their marriage?

Annie and Sam own a  very popular sandwich shop so they spend most of their time together. Despite their almost magically happy relationship, they have experienced heartbreaking losses. Annie has always brushed off her best friend Rachel and Ursula’s observations that she spoils Sam too much. It is not until she receives her diagnosis that she realizes that Sam might not be equipped for the next stage in life.  In addition to writing the manual, Annie decides to not worry him until she receives confirmation of her doctor’s diagnosis.

Minus Me is a well-written novel with an engaging storyline and entertaining characters. Annie’s unexpected health crisis proves to be a surprising journey of self-discovery and healing. Mameve Medwed  concludes this winsome novel with a heartwarming a epilogue that is sure to delight readers.
Heartfelt and sweet, Minus Me is an recommended first purchase for collections where women's fiction is popular.
Medwed brings us a thoughtful and yet at times comical look, into a women who fears the worst when she gets test results back from her doctor.

Annie is very happily married, but when she believes she is dying, she starts to prepare for her husband to be on his own writing a manual for him. However, through this process she has yet to share the news with her family and friends. You can imagine she makes unwise choices.

This story breaks down many relationships, marital, parent/child, and her closest of friends. As you might think that with deception there is much mis-communication which is what can be funny, but yet frustrating at times for the reader.

I really enjoyed this book, much more than I expected. When I started reading, I thought wow, this is going to be sad, however, this was truly heartwarming and Medwed really focuses on what matters most in life and it is nothing tangible.

Thank you NetGalley and Alcove Press for an Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Annie and Sam , owners of the Paul Bunyan Special, a popular sandwich featured in their local shop, is a lot like this story. It has a huge center and all the topppings necessary to get you through the day. Annie faces a serious health threat,and faced with mortality comes up with a survival plan for her husband Sam. Spouses often hold each other in one color light and given the chance for self description paint a totally different picture. Annie has no illusions about Sam and how she hopes he will survive after she is gone. So she makes a manual to help him along. Enter life in the form of Ursula, mom, free spirit, life untangled. Here is a story of an upended life, profound and funny and down to earth fun.
Thank you to the author, Alcove Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was a quick and easy read, and a sweet story about a long-married couple and their communication struggles around a difficult life situation. I liked the small-town setting that the author did a great job of painting, and the relationships between the couple and their (mainly her) friends. Although the story touched on some deep issues, it didn't go deep but rather skimmed over them and ended up with everything tied up in a neat bow with absolutely no loose ends. Sweet, but a touch too saccharine to be truly believable.
Mameve Medwed's newest novel, Minus Me, revolves around a woman in her late 30s named Annie.  She has faced heartbreak in her life in the form of several miscarriages and a still birth as well as the loss of her father.  She and her husband Sam despite their losses have a solid relationship and are successful partners in their own business.  Annie receives news from her doctor that she most likely has lung cancer.  He advises her to get her affairs in order and to get more opinions on her condition.  Instead of biting the bullet and telling her husband Sam about her illness, she instead decides to keep it from him. She loves him even though she knows that she and his mother have spoiled him by doing so much for him.  She knows that he will have a hard time and starts to write a guide for him to use after she is gone in order to navigate life without her.

I liked this book. I liked the humor it was written with amidst the serious topics included in the story. I'll admit I was frustrated by Annie and the way she dealt with her situation, however, I reminded myself that when faced with cancer people all choose to deal in the best way they know how at the time.  Who am I to judge. The book was written in a way that Annie's feelings felt genuine throughout.  While I enjoyed the writing, I did get a little bogged down in a few spots.  The ending was satisfying.  3.5 stars rounded up to 4.  I would recommend this book. I think it would make an excellent book club selection with ample discussion options.

My sincere thanks to Alcove Press and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read Minus Me and give my unbiased opinion of it.
Annie has just received a terrible diagnosis, and is struggling to deal with the ramifications.  She is married to Sam, but she seems to think of him as a person unable to survive on his own, bumbling, forgetful, unmotivated.  Instead of dealing with her diagnosis and sharing it with him, she hides it from him and is trying to manage his life after her death.

Annie also has a difficult relationship with her mother, Ursula, who lives in NY.  Ursula does step in and tries to get Annie help, but that's a whole mess unto itself.  Annie and Ursula do get some closure on their relationship, so that's a good thing.

I tried to like this book, it could have been filled with emotions, life lessons and the value of people who love you.  Instead, I did not feel any empathy for Annie, and I'm an empathetic person.  It just didn't work for me.
Minus Me // by Mameve Medwed

Despite telling myself that I needed to control my ARC requesting, I just couldn't not request Minus Me. The premise, while heart-rending, sounded very intriguing and I needed something realistic rather than another fantasy because I have several big fantasy novels coming up soon. Just a few chapters into this book, I felt the heart-break coming on strong. While I found some of Annie's decisions a little irrational sometimes, I also have to admit that they weren't so different from some of my recent decisions. Sam is adorable, albeit sometimes exasperating, and I can still understand why she did what she did even though as an outside observer it is easy to know better.

While I had never heard of this author before, I do know that I want to read more of her books in the future. I really enjoyed her writing and how much she made me care about her characters, even Ursula who made me cringe so much in the beginning. This book really shows how not knowing just a few things about someone can hugely influence your opinion of them. While the ending would usually be a bit too tidy for my taste, this once it was actually perfect. After some of my own recent struggles, it was heart-warming to see this book end on such a positive note. It seems this book found me right when I really needed it.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Annie and Sam had been in love since forever. They share their passion for their gourmet sandwich business among other things. They are happy together . And then one day Annie finds out she's sick. Brokenhearted and clueless about sharing her news with her beloved Sam, she decides to write a manual with some instructions about living his life once she's gone. It's then when everything starts.
I liked this book very much. The writing is lovely and the pace is good. The characters are very well developed and absolutely lovable.
It's my first book from this author and it will not be the last.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
It took me bloody forever to get through this. The writing was fine, the story was fine, but it was depressing while still not engaging. I never *wanted* to read it but also didn't dislike it so I didn't want to DNF? The end was jarringly neat while the rest wasn't.
Title:  Minus Me
Author:  Mameve Medwed
Genre:  Fiction
Rating:  3.5 out of 5

Annie and her devoted but comically incompetent childhood sweetheart Sam are the owners and operators of Annie's, a gourmet sandwich shop, home to the legendary Paul Bunyan Special Sandwich--their "nutritionally challenged continual source of income and marital harmony and local fame."

But into their mostly charmed marriage comes the scary medical diagnosis for Annie--and the overwhelming challenge of finding a way to help Sam go on without her. Annie decides to leave Sam step-by-step instructions for a future without her, and considers her own replacement in his heart and their bed. Her best-laid plans grind to a halt with the unexpected appearance of Ursula, Annie's Manhattan diva of a mother, who brings her own brand of chaos and disruption into their lives.

I didn’t really care for these characters, and that made it hard to enjoy this book. Solid writing, so this is clearly just a “me” issue, but the characters just didn’t work for me. Sam was so incompetent as to be almost a farce and Annie was over-the-top take charge and let him be incompetent, which was frustrating to read. Their complete lack of communication was also irritating. So much pain could have been avoided if either of them had had the tiniest bit of bravery.

Mameve Medwed is from Bangor, Maine. Minus Me is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of Alcove Press in exchange for an honest review.)

(Blog link live 1/8.)
A sad heartbreaking story but also uplifting at the same time! Annie and Sam are married and when Annie gets a terminal diagnosis, she wants to write everything down so Sam can go on without her. This book has amazing characters and all in all a book I thoroughly enjoyed! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
I loved the premise of this book. MINUS ME is a charming and poignant story about a woman who receives a terminal diagnosis but can’t bring herself to tell her husband. The book follows Annie’s emotional journey as she struggles to process her fate and tries to imagine how to help Sam cope after she’s gone.

With the right mix of humour and heart, Medwed navigates the choppy waters of a difficult subject to deliver a deeply emotional story about love, marriage and family.

Thank you to Alcove Press for the advance reading copy.

Sweet novel about young l9ve that lasts.
I thought this was sweet. Annie wants to take care of her family when she is gone. She starts to make lists and talk about how what to do when she is gone. This reminds me of Postscript, making a list for those who will be left behind when someone dies. It is a lovely story I completed in an afternoon and would love to read more from the author.
Minus Me by Mameve Medwed
Source: NetGalley and Alcove Press
Rating: 4½/5 stars

**MINI REVIEW**

The Bottom Line:  Well, dear reader, once again I find myself on the opposite side of the star review ratings on Goodreads.  I found Minus Me to be a poignant and heartfelt read about two people who have completely devoted their lives to one another through hard work, dedication, and a love that many in this world can only ever imagine.  While I generally get very angry and “not communicating/keeping big secrets” books, I found myself completely accepting of the situation in this particular read.  Annie’s insistence on not telling Sam everything the second she knows comes from a place of love and understanding that only the two of them can truly comprehend.  Annie knows Sam so well that she chooses to spare him the hurt, pain, and worry until the moment when she knows the full scope of her situation.  I don’t necessarily agree with every step of Annie’s master plan, but I have a true understanding and sympathy for her actions.  This is something of a roller coaster of a read, but I navigated every hill and valley willingly and enjoyed the ride.  Quite frankly, I don’t much care that I am in the minority on this one; Minus Me is fine read and though it deals with some very heavy topics, it is well worth the time and effort.