Cover Image: Rome Reframed (Wish & Wander, Book 2)

Rome Reframed (Wish & Wander, Book 2)

Lucas and his family have been traveling across Europe for 6 months and he is ready to go home, which shows through his schoolwork. As the trip progressed, his schoolwork started getting worse and worse. His teachers tell him that if he wants to pass the eighth grade and move on to high school, he needs to ace his project on Rome. Lucas has to decide whether he is going to give up and be left behind the year, or step up and really explore Rome and learn everything he can.

While at the Trevi Fountain, a mysterious old woman appears and gives Lucas this strange looking coin to throw into the fountain. Instead, he finds himself being thrown back in time to ancient Rome at each new spot he visits.

This book was really enjoyable. I loved getting to know Lucas and learn about his insecurities. He grows a lot throughout this book, and the person he was at the beginning of the book is not the person he is at the end of their last three days in Rome. With the help of his friend Vivi, he learns to believe in himself and to trust in his family for their help and support.

I personally enjoyed this book more than Paris on Repeat, which honestly I didn't think was possible. Amy Bearce is a fantastic author, and I highly recommend this series, especially for younger readers.

Thank you NetGalley and Jolly Fish Press for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I was a huge fan of Paris on Repeat so when I was told there would be a second book I was just as excited. The best part is that the books have a running theme of growth and learning more about yourself, but they don’t fully connect. You don’t have to read Paris on Repeat to appreciate Rome Reframed. The only character that is in both is the palm reader because she seems to be the magical being that helps others see what they need to and I love that. It’s a series that anyone would enjoy and can go through all of them in any order and at any time without feeling like they’ve missed something. Whats better is that this one follows Lucas, an eighth grader that doesn’t want to be open with his passions. Of course he’s open about his love for soccer but he doesn’t see a point in photography or poems which he does enjoy. it takes being told that he’s going to fail eight grade and receiving a magic coin to fully come out of his shell and see the beauty of the world around him.

And while the book is a wonderful Middle Grade book about being true to yourself and appreciating everything around you, it’s also an almost love letter to the beauty of Rome. But not just the cookie cutter Rome. Amy Bearce doesn’t just check off the ‘big’ places in Rome that you’re supposed to visit as a tourist. Every place that Lucas goes connects to each other and the journey he needs to go on to grow. The reader also learns things about these places that they probably didn’t know before. I didn’t know them and I’m someone that’s wanted to visit Rome since I was a kid. Rome Reframed just makes me want to go to every place that Lucas did even though I’m an adult.
This is a middle grade book about Lucas, his 2 younger brothers, and their parents on a 6 month trip around Europe. They are doing it with their parents who are professors and want to write a book. Lucas is missing school so he needs to submit work in place of the typical academics he would get if he was in his school in Austin TX. However for the past 6 months all he was really been thinking about is being home with friends and playing soccer.  He learns he is about to fail his this school year and have to redo 8th grade if his last bit of work, 3 days worth, is not pretty much amazing. When he meets a lady (fortune teller of sorts) his views on Italy and life change substantially.  If you are taking a middle grader on a trip and they are not sure they are excited about that trip or maybe they do not seem to understand how awesomely cool a trip can really be, this book might help them have a different perspective.  Additionally, if you are going to Rome, this book will give them insight into the sites they will be seeing.  This is the second book in a series, but I have not read the first and from what I gather, they are not really related. I am giving this a 4 star review.  It is a fun book!