Cover Image: Rome Reframed (Wish & Wander, Book 2)

Rome Reframed (Wish & Wander, Book 2)

Another delightful read from Amy Bearce! The author does an amazing job creating a charming middle grade read. This time we follow along with Lucas, a not so perfect middle schooler on a trip of a lifetime. The only problem, it's not the trip he asked for or wanted. I enjoyed the ride as Lucas learns a bit more about himself. The book hits on some harder topics that most middle schoolers find themselves in. I highly recommend!
Review to come Soon...

Lucas Duran has been on the trip of a lifetime—six months traveling through Europe with his parents and two younger brothers. That is, the trip of a lifetime for someone else. Lucas wants nothing more than to be home in Austin, Texas, with his friends, and it shows in his schoolwork that he’s been emailing to his teachers. He can't wait to get out of Rome, the last stop on their trip.

When his teachers give him an ultimatum—either turn in a phenomenal last project or you’ll fail the eighth grade—Lucas is going to have to decide whether to give up or to give in to the mystery of Rome. And after a cryptic palm reader hands him a weird-looking coin to throw in the Trevi Fountain, Lucas finds himself transported to ancient Rome at each new tourist destination. As his hops back through time become more personal, it seems the magic of Rome is determined to help Lucas gain more than an A+ project, too. Can he fix his future before his time in the past is over?
This was a wonderful follow up to Paris on Repeat for Amy Bearce! I really enjoyed reading the first in this series (?) she's writing, so when I saw that the next one was up on NetGalley I jumped to review it.
The descriptions of Rome made me want to hop on a plane asap, and I loved following along with Lucas and Vivi on their trip around the city. I thought the magical part of this was unique and created exciting possibilities for the characters to stumble into. Lucas' parents and sister were a realistic family on a vacation to me, and their reaction to Lucas struggling in school was probably exactly what my parents would have done. I think Bearce also touched on some topics that middle grade readers will identify with on a few levels. I recommend this and Paris on Repeat, and I can't wait to see what's in store for Amy Bearce's next story!
An exciting adventure that mixes mystery and time travel as the hero finds himself sent back to Ancient Rome in order to solve a series of riddles.  It is a good way of making history accessible and exciting to young people who are not motivated by the subject.
Thank you Jolly Fish Press for an eARC in exchange for helping with the cover reveal of Rome Reframed. All opinions are my own, as usual.

Rome Reframed is the second novel in the Wish & Wander series. The series follows upper middle schoolers traveling around Europe (so far) when they meet an interesting woman who changes their trips. In this book, Lucas's family has been traveling Central Europe for research on his parent's new book. When Lucas finds out he is going to fail 8th grade, he has to work to complete his travel journal to the best of his abilities. He then meets the interesting woman who gives him a magical coin that helps him see Rome in a new way.

I really enjoyed seeing Lucas's progression throughout the story. He starts off as a soccer playing kid who thinks he's not smart. He, with the help of his new friend Vivi and his family, learns that he can be so much more and still be true to himself. I think this great theme is perfect for the middle grade readers, especially boys, since it handles toxic masculinity very well since it doesn't harshly call anything out but can be used to discuss the topic more deeply with upper middle schoolers. This book does feature a bit of a romance but it's basically just a really strong friendship which is great to see. Lucas's relationship with his two younger brothers was so heartwarming. As a younger sibling with an age difference to my sister similar to Lucas and his youngest brother, it really reminded me of my childhood. As always, Amy's descriptions of Rome were incredible. I'm Italian and dream of visiting Italy so this was a great vacation experience to have during quarantine. I can't wait to read the third book in the series (which is visiting the other part of my heritage) and I highly recommend reading both Paris on Repeat and Rome Reframed.
Rome Reframed is the second book in author Amy Bearce’s Wish and Wander series, and it’s a picture of Italian magic. Another story of time travel and self-discovery, Rome Reframed is full of history, detail, and wonder, building a Rome of beauty, friendship, and unexpected adventure.

Set in the heart of Italy’s capital city, Rome Reframed includes all the best tourist spots, cultural icons, and historical gems of Rome. From the famous Trevi Fountain to the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica, and more, there are always new Italian gems to discover, including some lesser-known local spots. Much like the Paris she built in Paris on Repeat, Amy Bearce’s Rome is richly detailed and inviting. Magic and opportunity seem to glitter on every page, and just as the story’s characters are captivated Rome, so too are its readers.

Rome Reframed’s main character, Lucas, begins his story feeling quite unsure of Rome and what it has to offer. Instead of enjoying his Euro trip, he spends his days missing his home in Austin, Texas. As the story moves on, Lucas’s understanding of Rome changes drastically, and with this comes a new appreciation for travel, family, friends, art, and even his own talents. By Lucas’s side is his new Italian friend, Vivi, who helps him navigate magic, adventure, and the assignment that will decide whether or not he passes the eighth grade back at home. Rome Reframed is an excellent character-driven story, and yes, I am counting Rome itself as a character!

Rome Reframed is a story about friendship, family, adventure, art, tenacity, and self-confidence. I’d recommend it to fans of Snow by Ondine Sherman and Julia and the Art of Practical Travel by Lesly M. M. Blume.

Thank you to Jollyfish Press and NetGalley for providing me with this digital review copy of Rome Reframed.
Lucas and his family have been traveling across Europe for 6 months and he is ready to go home, which shows through his schoolwork. As the trip progressed, his schoolwork started getting worse and worse. His teachers tell him that if he wants to pass the eighth grade and move on to high school, he needs to ace his project on Rome. Lucas has to decide whether he is going to give up and be left behind the year, or step up and really explore Rome and learn everything he can.

While at the Trevi Fountain, a mysterious old woman appears and gives Lucas this strange looking coin to throw into the fountain. Instead, he finds himself being thrown back in time to ancient Rome at each new spot he visits.

This book was really enjoyable. I loved getting to know Lucas and learn about his insecurities. He grows a lot throughout this book, and the person he was at the beginning of the book is not the person he is at the end of their last three days in Rome. With the help of his friend Vivi, he learns to believe in himself and to trust in his family for their help and support.

I personally enjoyed this book more than Paris on Repeat, which honestly I didn't think was possible. Amy Bearce is a fantastic author, and I highly recommend this series, especially for younger readers.

Thank you NetGalley and Jolly Fish Press for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I was a huge fan of Paris on Repeat so when I was told there would be a second book I was just as excited. The best part is that the books have a running theme of growth and learning more about yourself, but they don’t fully connect. You don’t have to read Paris on Repeat to appreciate Rome Reframed. The only character that is in both is the palm reader because she seems to be the magical being that helps others see what they need to and I love that. It’s a series that anyone would enjoy and can go through all of them in any order and at any time without feeling like they’ve missed something. Whats better is that this one follows Lucas, an eighth grader that doesn’t want to be open with his passions. Of course he’s open about his love for soccer but he doesn’t see a point in photography or poems which he does enjoy. it takes being told that he’s going to fail eight grade and receiving a magic coin to fully come out of his shell and see the beauty of the world around him.

And while the book is a wonderful Middle Grade book about being true to yourself and appreciating everything around you, it’s also an almost love letter to the beauty of Rome. But not just the cookie cutter Rome. Amy Bearce doesn’t just check off the ‘big’ places in Rome that you’re supposed to visit as a tourist. Every place that Lucas goes connects to each other and the journey he needs to go on to grow. The reader also learns things about these places that they probably didn’t know before. I didn’t know them and I’m someone that’s wanted to visit Rome since I was a kid. Rome Reframed just makes me want to go to every place that Lucas did even though I’m an adult.
This is a middle grade book about Lucas, his 2 younger brothers, and their parents on a 6 month trip around Europe. They are doing it with their parents who are professors and want to write a book. Lucas is missing school so he needs to submit work in place of the typical academics he would get if he was in his school in Austin TX. However for the past 6 months all he was really been thinking about is being home with friends and playing soccer.  He learns he is about to fail his this school year and have to redo 8th grade if his last bit of work, 3 days worth, is not pretty much amazing. When he meets a lady (fortune teller of sorts) his views on Italy and life change substantially.  If you are taking a middle grader on a trip and they are not sure they are excited about that trip or maybe they do not seem to understand how awesomely cool a trip can really be, this book might help them have a different perspective.  Additionally, if you are going to Rome, this book will give them insight into the sites they will be seeing.  This is the second book in a series, but I have not read the first and from what I gather, they are not really related. I am giving this a 4 star review.  It is a fun book!