Cover Image: Honey Girl

Honey Girl

Lots of larger-than-life characters! I especially loved Yuki. Her stories about monsters were so beautiful!
Honey Girl had me hooked within the first few pages. It is an easy read with a cute storyline. A+ for a diverse range of characters. Would've liked to hear a bit more of their stories.
The novel did fall a bit short of my high expectations. I really wanted to love it (great premise!) but by the end, it felt a bit cliché and surface-y. The main character was lacking in complexity, and I didn't love the depiction of mental illnesses, which also seemed very superficial. Otherwise, it was enjoyable. 3.5/5
I really wanted to love this book because I love the premise, and how it centers on BIPOC queer characters, but I mostly found the main character to be lacking in depth. The book digs deep into the concerns many of us have faced as millennials who have achieved the goals they've set from a young age, and aren't sure how to proceed. It definitely speaks to the struggles of BIPOC queer people to be respected in the world, and I appreciate those aspects of it.

The writing style is sometimes hard to follow, and I wish there was more behind the main characters decision making and feelings. Also, the author writes in great detail about the strength of the main characters friendships, so it feels really out of character when she completely ignores them for months late into the book. I did appreciate the promising ending, and overall the story was good. I'd definitely give it 3.5 stars if I had the option.
Vivid language appeals to the five senses. The characters and their friends are real individual people, and their strong chosen family bonds are great to see. Diverse characters represent various races, gender identities, sexualities, and mental health issues, which are treated as a ordinary aspects of the person, not giant, negative, or defining characteristics. The friends are interesting enough that I would read more about them, but it didn't feel like a merely a formula setup for a series. Somewhat reminds me of Weetzie Bat, but less disjointed (in a good way). Maybe wouldn't get much traction at my small rural library, but I really enjoyed it.
This might be the most unique romance novel I have ever read. It doesn't read like a typical contemporary romance you might expect from an opening where the main character wakes up married after a drunken night in Vegas.

This book has weight and depth along with the romance. The characters are complex and real and each group Grace encounters (her friends, her wife's roommates, her parents) are so real, so alive.

This was not the book I expected but I loved it. Highly recommend.
This is a great story -- difficult to describe without spoilers.  When her father and stepmother give her tickets to Las Vegas for a weekend to celebrate her PhD graduation, Grace Porter doesn't expect it to change her life, but it does.
Her complicated family, drive for perfection, and perfectly executed life plan don't leave a lot of space for romance or new adventures, so Grace is not sure how to react.

The characters in the book are people you would like to know, or people you DO know and would like to forget.  Grace's journey is as unique as her profession and ambition and as quirky as her family.

Highly recommended.

#NetGalley #LJDOD
This is Rogers’ debut and it is FANTASTIC. If I were to print my highlighted sections, I would have 6 pages of highlights. It is at times hard to read

CW: Mental illness (main & secondary character, mentions of self harm (skin picking/scratching), codependency, strict military dad, troubled parental relationships

Honey Girl is not a romance, but it does have romantic elements. Grace, our main protagonist is a Sad Girl ™. The book opens up with her hazy reflections of getting drunkenly married the night before. The person she married is unknown to her but did leave some clues behind. Grace is trying to figure out her next steps in life as well as decide what to do about her wife.

What happened in Vegas is tucked away in her suitcase. It is under her shirt in the shape of a key. It is hidden in her hair with the last little bits of dried petals. It hides in the gold ring wrapped around her finger like a brand.

This is really a book about friendship and acceptance and overcoming hurts. Grace is surrounded by an amazing group of found family. I wanted every single one of them to be my friend. They accepted each other exactly as they are. They love each other deeply and unconditionally. At times it is a little codependent but also very relatable. This is something that Rogers tells us about Grace’s circle.

This is the thing: for as lonely and solitary as Grace feels, she is not alone. She has Raj and Meera. She has Agnes. To the very marrow of her, down to the studs, she has Ximena. Raj and Meera are her family, not blood, but flesh and spirit and heart. Agnes is her best friend. Ximena is who she will grab onto when the world ends, and they will watch it burn to ash before they follow. They are two Black girls with their backs against the wall, and on the very good days, Grace likes their odds.

And this-

“You good?” Ximena asks, and Grace nods. “Positive? You don’t have to be good yet.” She taps a finger four times against Grace’s pulse. Love. you. so. much. Love you so much it hurts.

Grace is LONELY although she is not alone. Her journey to discovering this is beautiful and very sad. Grace learns there is a lot she must deal with in order to move on.

Here is the thing about the tar, the sludge, the inky black poison. Once it starts its ascent out of your body, there is nothing you can do to stop it. It tastes like volcano ash and fire, and you must taste it, and gag on it, and ultimately, you must spit it out. There comes a time when you cannot swallow it down any longer. Everything that is buried will be unburied. Everything that is pushed down will find its way out. It is the way of the universe.

Please consider putting this on your TBR for 2021. If you like Sad Girl books (Beach Read, 99 Percent Mine) I think you would like this. Or if you really liked reading about Samiah’s job in The Boyfriend Project, I think you might like this. I think that readers who are looking for a book that does not center a character around whiteness would enjoy this book.

In summary- Rogers debut is fantastic. It made me cry more than once. I wanted to hug Grace. I wanted Ximena to hug me and tap out a message to me. I can not wait for more people to read this so we can talk about it.

Grade: A+
Honey Girl is such a refreshing story about a 29-year-old figuring her life and career out after finishing up her doctorate in astronomy. All of this is made more complicated by drunkenly getting married in Vegas. I really enjoyed following Grace's journey, but part of me was wishing for more romantic tension and development. Some readers will think it had the perfect amount of that, but I was wishing for a little more, I suppose. I would love to see a companion novel about Grace's roommates!
Man, what a book. The word that I feel describes this book to me is, Delicate, and I mean that in the best way. The way she intertwined these characters reminded me of the flowiness( is that a word?) of poetry and it was so beautiful. Beautiful writing, diverse cast, and so many layers of complexities. A beautiful expression of art.
I stayed up all night to read this book. I cried and laughed and saw a lot of relatable moments for Black girls at the end of their academic career and lost. I appreciated that none of the racial family or friendship dynamics were glossed over. The organic way everyone's racial makeup is woven into the story from Porter being biracial to Yuki being Japanese American to Raj and Meera being Indian. No one is allowed to default to being white, ever.  I loved the visuals and way the language was able to appeal to all five senses. I loved the frank discussions of mental health and therapy, including interviewing therapists to find the right fit. It's just an all around good book, and I can't wait to share it with readers.