Cover Image: The Captive

The Captive

The Captive takes us to an unnamed secessionist rural state, in a near-future time, when people are left on their own to survive—or not.

This one took me a few chapters to get into. We’re dropped straight into a chaotic situation, with little to no setup to acclimate us in the story. I admit to being a little frustrated, but I was intrigued enough to keep going.

I’m glad I stuck with it, because once things started connecting and I understood what was going on, this story grabbed hold of me and didn’t let go. The pace is quick and the tension high.

The characters are well developed and complex. Even when I didn’t agree with their choices, I understood the drive behind their behavior so that what they did made sense.

If you’re looking for a wild ride into a Wild West sort of situation, this is the book for you.
This is one of those captivating, compulsive, heart throbbing in your ears thrillers you find yourself holding your breath for at times while reading!! Brooke is a great well-developed character that just oozes a harrowing heroine and how she goes between past and present until they both collide into one really fit the feel of the story! Along the way the time of the book had me puzzled since there were old western feel aspects but then modern age details, but all in all it was like a twisted mix of delight and all while being wrapped into some thrills!! All in all, I liked this book, some parts were a little offset for me, but I think Brooke was a well-developed character and seeing her step back into a past she tried to run away from and make it out surviving made it, so I stayed invested! Thank you Netgalley for the chance to review this title and experience a new author!
The writing was good but I just didn’t care for the characters.  I found the book tedious.  I found it to be a boring futuristic dystopian novel.  I wouldn’t recommend.
The Captive was without a doubt one of the most chilling reads I’ve ever read! There was so much horror to this novel and not all of it was monsters!

It was a heart-racing read on many levels that it has a greater magnitude of “page-turner.” Still, you can’t help but turn the pages as fast as you can to see what the outcome will be. You hope for many things, but only a few will come true. That doesn’t make this a disappointing read in the least, it makes it one emotional gut punch to the feelings though.

Ultimately, it was undoubtedly the smaller, subtler moments of horror in this book that were more effective, and which resonated more powerfully with me. For this reason, I was also not as bothered by the vagueness of the ending, since I felt it was appropriate that some of the mystery be preserved, but I can also understand why some might be frustrated by the lack of answers.. Overall, The Captive can be rightly called a popcorn or “light” read since it contains an fast moving pace and truly a thriller plot and there’s certainly enough to give one a quick shot of fright if a no-frills, fast-paced horror is what you’re in the mood for.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Captive by Fiona King Foster.

Brooke and Milo are raising their two children on the fringes of society, living a simple horse drawn life in a modern world.  But life for Brooke is shattered when it's announced at a town auction that there is a wanted man loose in the area.  Brooke knows exactly who it is and what he wants, and quickly rushes home before anything can happen...

This is a story of a tightly woven, small community that has been steeped in violence and betrayal.  It fluctuates from current day to past events to explain just how connected the characters are.

I'm going to admit, while there were a lot of solid moments in the book that had me interested, overall I just couldn't sink into this story.  I struggled to know exactly when we were, and how the story relates to what was happening.  It had a strong setting and potential, but this was not my favorite adventure novel.
t was ok, kind of disappointed in where the story went and how it ended.  Brooke is living off the grid with her husband and two girls when word of a bounty for a fugitive, Stephen Cawley is on the run.  Brooke left her family behind to escape the life she led there with her parents and siblings as sovereign citizens and eventually dealing drugs fighting rival family, the Cawleys.  This reminded me of the Hatfields and McCoys.  A lot transpires and is not explained and once revealed is sort of leaves you saying, "ok".  How it ended left still more unanswered questions.
An enjoyable, well-paced rural noir thriller that I liked, though not as much as I'd hoped.

I was initially attracted to this book due to its being set in a kind of near-future dystopian "what-if" environment -- the characters live in a [red] part of North America that has seceded and been left to its own devices -- so I was expecting the world-building to be a little more detailed. Instead, this book read more or less like an atmospheric Western, with horses and farms and sheriffs, but only forests and no open desert vistas, and a few bits involving modern technology and drugs.

The POV character Brooke Holland is a sympathetic heroine, though the whole book suffers from her extreme Failure To Communicate. Brooke is emotionally damaged and paranoid because of her past -- kept secret from her very-zen partner Milo and their two daughters-- and when part of that past comes back to haunt her, she reacts by doubling down on secrecy. It makes you want to reach into the book and shake her. Especially because her underlying understanding of the situation she's in may not even be accurate. If only Brooke were up-front with Milo, chunks of the plot (apart from the flashbacks to Brooke's childhood, depicting her own parents' choices during and after secession, which for me were the best parts of the book) would not happen at all. That just ends up being a frustrating rather than good narrative choice.
This was slow to start and I wasn’t crazy about it at the beginning, but it really did pick up. Imagery was good, but I don’t think I am the biggest fan of the writing style or the rural setting and what comes with it. Overall, it was entertaining and I enjoyed it once it picked up.
This book is well written but I do not usually read this genre. With this said, it was a nice introduction into this space. I would be interested in reading more like this and from this author
THE CAPTIVE will keep you on your seat. Once you get to the meat and potatoes of the story, you won’t be able to put it down. Foster creates a really interesting narrative with the secession story and how that effects Brooke and everyone around her. The story goes back and forth between her life with her family and her present life trying to keep her family safe. Brooke herself, I found, was a really frustrating character because she’s so smart but at times she did dumb things but I think Foster wrote her that way on purpose. Good book if you really like thrillers!
Story starts with Brooke and Milo at a auction leaving their 2 children home alone. Federal agent interrupts the auction to state they have a warrant out for Stephen Cawley with a reward of $5,000 to person who captures and brings him in. Brooke has a back story with Cawley and fears for her family. Brooke and Milo go home and the children are alright but Brooke has a bad feeling and tries to warn her family that something dangerous is about to happen.. Cawley shows up on the property and the events that happen are a roller coaster ride. Fast paced and kept me on the edge. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.
What a heart-thumping, fast-paced read!!!
This epic story has minor dystopian elements: You feel like you are in the Wild West, with criminals and dope-fiends everywhere - who seem even worse than Zombies! A very human tale of the battle of rival criminal clans, misconceptions, self-perception, and just the over-riding instinct for survival. I was riveted!

It took me a while to figure out that this story is set in the dystopian future, out in the lawless badlands of what used to be North America. Almost from the start, my eyes were glued to each page, desperate to discover Brooke's secrets. I literally got cranky when I would have to put my ereader down and actually do some work! This author writes so well, so vividly, that I was shocked to discover that this is her first published novel. As I read, her characters walked out of the pages like living, breathing people and enacted each scene in my mind's eye.

I loved gentle, kindhearted Milo. His character was designed to be deliberately endearing to the reader, amidst so many ruthless, murderous villains. Thank goodness the descriptions of all the evil doings were kept to the bare minimum. There were some graphic descriptions of a few fight scenes, but I was rooting for Brooke every step of the way! When Milo and her daughters were appalled by Brooke's ability to subdue Stephen Crawley, I stood and cheered! What a total badass Brooke was! (And yet I am a staunch pacifist - so this shows you how good this author is, reeling me in despite my peace-loving beliefs.)

Towards the end, I felt there was a bit of a "pregnant pause" (no spoilers here), but I also suspected that the author refused to be predictable and she added a few unexpected twists and turns to keep us readers alert right to the very end. And just when you thought the worst was over, eh?!!!!

I don't want to give ANY spoilers away. Take a treacherous journey along with Brooke and her family through some lawless, snow covered back country and enjoy the ride, like I did. Highly recommended.
A spectacular read: I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Brooke Holland along with her two daughters and husband are living in a harsh rural environment when violence from her past comes calling.  The family strikes out on a journey to bring Stephen Crawley, a criminal from Brooke's past her family is unaware of to the sheriff to collect a bounty..  This journey is hard for all characters  involved, each for different reasons.  It was a suspenseful read but had almost too much tension for me at times.
The Captive by Fiona King Foster is well written, but was difficult to get a good sense of time and place.  I gathered it was present day to futuristic.  I had a post-apocalyptic feel of the the story, and just wasn't for me. I so wanted to like the book and thought the blurb sounded good, but it was a struggle. Grammar and punctuation were well done in the story. Thank you NetGalley for this book.
**I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher, Ecco, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

I enjoyed the setting, story, and characters of this book but would love to see it all be even more developed. I'm hoping that there is a series in the works, because I would love the chance to get to know all of these characters better and see their backstories, especially the history leading up to secession.

I was invested in the characters, especially Brooke and her family, but I would love even more. More detail about their life (both her bio fam and her current fam (husband and kids)) would really enhance the emotional investment in these folks.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable book that could be even better with some fleshing out and further development.
Thank you to NetGalley and Ecco for this copy of The Captive by Fiona King Foster.

Guys, I loved this book. I went to bed at 8:00 pm last night so that I could read the last half before I had to go to sleep. I was bummed that it was over, that's how good it was. Here's a quick, spoiler-free preview if that doesn't convince to The Captive a shot.

Brooke is living a quiet life on a struggling cranberry farm with her husband Milo and their two girls, Holly and Sal. LIfe is pretty good, not easy, but good. The world they live in is a future version of our world, after some parts of the U.S. have seceded, dividing parts of the country into a more modern version of the wild west. Brooke is hiding something from her family and it is about to catch up with her in a big way. Will she be able to keep her family safe from her secrets? You'll have to read The Captive to find out.

Again, I loved this book. I could picture it as clearly as if I was watching it on a movie screen. As a matter of fact I hope they make into a movie so that I can watch it all over again. Enjoy, readers!
One of three essentially dystopian novels read this week, THE CAPTIVE exceeds the genre with its ongoing concern with the workings of family, wrapped in an engaging and suspenseful adventure tale. Well worth my time. Thanks.
When I first started reading Fiona King Foster’s, debut novel, THE CAPTIVE (Ecco/HarperCollins), I felt as if I’d entered another world. I couldn’t fully understand whether it was a western or an anti-government survivalist book or perhaps a domestic terrorist thriller. I also wondered about the time line, because people were riding horses in town, yet they used cell-phones. I decided to put that all aside and just read, and I’m so glad I did. THE CAPTIVE grabbed me and didn’t let go until the very end.
Brooke Holland left her violent life fifteen years ago. She starts fresh when she meets a man named Milo King and has two daughters, Holly 13 and Sal 8. They live in a secessionist rural town cut off from urban cities, and life is very difficult on the cranberry farm. They barely make enough to make ends meet. All is well until a wanted fugitive shows up in their shed and Brooke takes him down. At first, her family doesn’t know Brooke recognizes the captive.
Brooke talks Milo and their family into taking the captive to the marshal, over a hundred treacherous miles away in the winter. The story of who Brooke really is begins to reveal itself, while the family finds themselves in more danger, wrapped up in Brooke’s lies.
The environment during their travel, on foot in the cold and snow is a character unto itself, which presents a melancholy picture. There’s always this looming danger which makes the story dark. Lies and truth shift and blur over the miles, while Miles, Holly and Sal begin to fear who Brooke really is. THE CAPTIVE is about family, protecting the ones you love and facing the truth.
THE CAPTIVE will have you on the edge of your seat for the entire novel. Take a breath first.
Thanks to NetGalley, Ecco/HarperCollins and author, Fiona King Foster for an advance digital copy.
I enjoyed this book so much!  Thank you Net Galley and Ecco for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for my opinion.

I wasn’t sure about reading this, the subject matter seemed a little heavy for our current times, but boy am I glad I did!  The story is about a woman who captures a fugitive and takes him to turn him into the marshals for the bounty.  Or is it? The magic of this book is how Fiona Ling Foster gives you glimpses and glimmers slowly about the protagonist’s past and current life, and the world they are living in. I found myself so engrossed in the book I couldn’t put it down.  I recommend this as a must read— it will grab your attention and is an amazing story of survival.

I am also amazed and impressed that this is a debut novel.  The story and characters are well developed and thought out in the style of someone with much experience.  High praise for Fiona King Foster and I anxiously await what she writes next.
thank you to netgalley, ecco books, and harper collins for this arc of “the captive” by fiona king foster in exchange for an honest review!

“the captive” is a rural noir that follows brooke and her family as they travel through a harsh winter to deliver a wanted criminal who has a connection to brooke’s past.

i requested this one from netgalley a few months ago because it sounded exciting and different than other books out there. after finally starting it last week during a reading slump, i realized i was becoming increasingly uninterested in the story and the characters at about 35%, and couldn’t entirely see the point of the plot. that’s not to say the author’s writing isn’t good; it’s just not what i was expecting and not what i wanted to read at the time.

“the captive” is out and available to purchase now!